ADVERTISEMENT

Post Wyoming Game - your thoughts?

Cougs will simply get run over in Laramie. DL woes vs their RBs will be telling. I'm even more impressed with Wyoming's defense. Currently holding NMS to 39 total yards through 3 quarters. Fast, relentless, well coached team on both sides of the ball.

WSU starts 0-1 again.

Reactions: lclark2
That's a bit pessimistic, but I do think our offense could have trouble. Claeys and Phelps have seen plenty of offenses that look like this one and have better personnel. We should be ok on that side of the ball

Cougs will simply get run over in Laramie. DL woes vs their RBs will be telling. I'm even more impressed with Wyoming's defense. Currently holding NMS to 39 total yards through 3 quarters. Fast, relentless, well coached team on both sides of the ball.

WSU starts 0-1 again.

It’s New Mexico Fricking State. Their receivers were constantly out of position with countless drops. You can’t even compare.

They’re a well coached team that plays hard. I think they’ll try to run the ball and play sound defense. Defensively I think they’re gonna rush 3 and drop 8, Try to get lucky with some turnovers.

Keep one thing in mind, how many guys at Wyoming turned down a scholarship at WSU to go there? Prob none. WSU has better athletes. That counts for something.

New Nexico State is a bad football team. No discipline on gap spacing and tons of stupid penalties. Wyoming looked decent against a bad team and a horrible offense. I expect WSU to put a fight in Laramie.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Not as pessimistic as Wbone but I can see his perspective. Wyoming runs right up the middle. Where are we short on experience, size and depth? D-line. Right up the middle. mkr72 is right in that Pelluer is going to be busy. As CDisciple mentioned, NM State may not be a decent opponent to judge Wyoming's quality. Shut down or at least slow down the run and we are fine. If not then Wbone's gloomy prediction will unfold.

Defensively, the Cowboys seemed to me to set up to restrict the short and medium passes but were open for deeper completions. If I were CML- we should all be grateful that I am not- I would utilize the run more than we usually do with the normal complement of air raid stuff while keeping an eye out for a possibility of a quick strike downfield. Supposedly we have increased speed in this group of WRs so let's use it.

WYO didn't play anybody. It's us, Missouri and Boise is their biggest challenge. Wyoming looked "okay", but against New Mexico State?
Really?

I'll be shocked if we win a lot of conference games this year, but we should absolutely beat Wyoming.

We have freak athletes. They don't.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Wyoming dominated a team coming off a bowl game last year. Its not like they beat up on a FCS doormat. New Mexico St fans were optimistic about the direction of the program prior to getting run over by a truck.

Defensively, Wyoming was disruptive at the line of scrimmage. When they brought pressure, they were able to win single coverage situations. NMST wasn't dropping a lot of easy catches. They would have been tough. Given Wyoming's speed and strength, I am going to say to had more to do with Wyoming than it did New Mexico St.

Offensively, they can will get stronger as the game wears on if we can't move the ball on offense. If they connect on a deep pass or two for quick scores, we might be in trouble.

We are by far the more talented team. Obviously. Talent is only a piece of the puzzle. Wyoming with likely be hungrier and more disciplined.

I suspect we run a lot of 4 verts next week. Wyoming is vulnerable to the deep ball and our receivers have the speed to stretch the field. When our skill position players have the ball, we can't dance, gotta lower the shoulder and plow ahead full speed.

Defensively, we need to be able to guard 1 on 1, allowing us to stack the box and stuff the run. Folks mentioned Pelluer having a big game, I'll add Jalen Thompson and Hunter Dale to the mix. They need to close and tackle the RB before he hits full speed.

I still think the Cougs win, but I think it'll be close late. We will need to play well on on order to get this win though.

So, after you've had a chance to watch the Wyoming game, what's your thoughts? Strengths and weaknesses that you see in Wyoming. What would YOU do if you were to play against Wyoming?

Wyoming’s strengths are its defense (the DL and Linebackers) and its run game which is what you expect from a Craig Bohl/ Scottie Hazelton team.

The weaknesses are the QB and their secondary.

If I was creating a strategy against Wyoming I would do the following.

On defense - I would put 8 in the box and let our upperclassmen strong corners like Sean Harper and Molton take on their receivers in man.

I’d then bring a lot of pressure clogging up the run lanes with experienced LB like Pelleur spying the back and guys like Jihad Woods and Willie Taylor shooting the gaps.

I’d set Jalen Thompson on range and Hunter Dale on range to help on any passing or running plays that break free.

So taking away the running game Wyoming is forced to have a RS Fresh QB beat us with his arm and I can gurantee that Thompson,Dale,Harper, and Molton (all upperclassmen) will eat him alive. (If rushing Willie Taylor/Jihad Woods don’t first)

On offense - I’d push the outside matchups heavily with quick 1 on 1 throws.

They have a RS Fresh at 1 CB and a 5’10 guy at the other CB. Whoever is on the 5’10 guy is in a mismatch for sure and the other will be a mismatch in experience.

Patrmon (at 6’4) and Tay Martin ( at 6’3) are basically half a foot taller than the 5’10 guy.

Getting the ball out to them quickly over and over again in the mismatch will tire out the defensive line. That’s what I would do. Exploit our bigger receivers. Up tempo making the DL fatigued.

Once we get that rhythm going and the DL looks tired i’d Start punching them with James Williams Borghi and Keith Harrington

Tire the DL and they can’t pass rush tire them with RB play on their heels and keep exploiting out matchups

Wyoming’s strengths are its defense (the DL and Linebackers) and its run game which is what you expect from a Craig Bohl/ Scottie Hazelton team.

The weaknesses are the QB and their secondary.

If I was creating a strategy against Wyoming I would do the following.

On defense - I would put 8 in the box and let our upperclassmen strong corners like Sean Harper and Molton take on their receivers in man

I’d actually do exactly what New Mexico Stste did. Are there any NMSU players that would even make our 2 deeps? NMSU gave up less than 30 points and stopped them quite a few times last night. We do that, we win by 10 plus. Our offense won’t be shut down as NMSU’s was.

We need to stack the box and force them to pass. Their QB will get some yards but he’ll make some mistakes that we can turn into picks.

Offensively, our OL has their work cut out for them. The Wyoming DL is legit and the whole team is aggressive. Williams can’t afford to dance when he’s running the ball or he’ll get smacked. Both Borghi and Williams can get some big plays with misdirection if our OL executes well. The downside of an aggressive defense is that they can get burned.

New Mexico State went to a bowl game last year but it was based on wins against a terrible schedule. They are a team we would have crushed last year, so I’m actually encouraged that they hung around as long as they did despite being clearly overmatched.

I don’t feel overly confident about the game next week, but we will win if we limit mistakes and can force their young QB to carry the load.

NMSU overrated their team and it showed on the field. WSU s fans may be under rating Wyoming as a team They have 8 starters returning on defense and 9 starters on offense.They were 8-5 last year and ran all over Central Michigan in their bowl game. They are superbly coached and this is probably Bohl s best team at Wyoming . The cougs better be ready for a tough game against a physical tough team. If the cougs get out of Laramie with a win coug fans should be happy.Wyoming will be sky high for the game and Wyoming s players do not buy into that they should bow down to "superior PAC 12. players" Objective Las Vegas oddsmakers will probably rate the game as a tossup or slightly favor Wyoming in the game.

NMSU overrated their team and it showed on the field. WSU s fans may be under rating Wyoming as a team They have 8 starters returning on defense and 9 starters on offense.They were 8-5 last year and ran all over Central Michigan in their bowl game. They are superbly coached and this is probably Bohl s best team at Wyoming . The cougs better be ready for a tough game against a physical tough team. If the cougs get out of Laramie with a win coug fans should be happy.Wyoming will be sky high for the game and Wyoming s players do not buy into that they should bow down to "superior PAC 12. players" Objective Las Vegas oddsmakers will probably rate the game as a tossup or slightly favor Wyoming in the game.

" WSU s fans may be under rating Wyoming as a team"

Hard to bet on WSU in an obviously tough opener on the road with a brand new QB. Who knows how he and the other newer players will handle adversity on the road ? Nobody even Leach knows the answer to that question.

The bright side of this game will be you will see early whether Minshew is the real deal and should be the starter for the season.

The Aggies are the only FBS teams to head into 2018 without its leading passer, rusher, receiver and tackler from last season.

Really good points by many on what shapes up as an intriguing matchup.

I'd amplify or add the following:

1) Bohl is a rock solid, by the books coach. His team had a two-score cushion at halftime and, with an inexperienced QB and a big-time opponent coming to Laramie next week, he chose to safely run out the clock against punchless NMSU.

2) The WSU defensive line is somewhat patchwork with the injuries, etc. Wyoming is going to get some yards on the ground, maybe a pretty decent amount when it's all said and done. Cougs have to stiffen up in the red zone and make UW settle for field goals.

3) I was partial to Trey Tinsley coming out of spring because it seemed he had best mastered the Air Raid. But Gardner Minshew's experience in this sort of environment is invaluable. Minshew also appears to have some play-making swagger that sets him apart from the two upper-class QBs on the roster.

4) For a first game in a noisy environment at 7,200 feet, I'm anticipating the offensive line will be OK. Not great, but not bad, either. Which means it's going to be on the running backs and receivers to make things happen. In other words, the Pac-12 skill guys need to live up to their recruiting profiles.

5) UW committed zero turnovers against NMSU. The WSU defense needs to find a way to make at least a couple game-changing plays as opposed to just 60 minutes of bend but not break. That kind of methodical, grind-it-out flow clearly favors Wyoming.

The Cowboys and their fans will be sky-high for the Cougs. These games, after all, are measuring sticks for mid-major schools. I wish WSU would schedule home-and-homes with Major Conference teams making exceptions only for Air Force, Army, Navy, Notre Dame and BYU. That's part of being a big-time program. From what I've been told, Mr. Moos had planned to take things in that direction.

There’s not much to be learned from last nights game.

Wyoming totally dominated them defensively. It wasn’t even close. NMSU only crossed the 50 on their final drive. A+ rating there. On the other hand, the air raid is a totally different animal against better athletes.

NMSU was a bowl team last season, but they lost 6 games. It’s not as though they’re Boise State, and they got booted out of their conference. I can’t imagine their recruiting was stellar. They also lost all of their top skill player contributors.

Wyoming lived up to who they are though. They play great defense, conservative offense, and make games ugly. Playing us in their home opener will have them fired up. We’ll need to show up to win. There’s a reason the point spread is around 3 points.

Wyoming totally dominated them defensively. It wasn’t even close. NMSU only crossed the 50 on their final drive. A+ rating there. On the other hand, the air raid is a totally different animal against better athletes.

NMSU was a bowl team last season, but they lost 6 games. It’s not as though they’re Boise State, and they got booted out of their conference. I can’t imagine their recruiting was stellar. They also lost all of their top skill player contributors.

Wyoming lived up to who they are though. They play great defense, conservative offense, and make games ugly. Playing us in their home opener will have them fired up. We’ll need to show up to win. There’s a reason the point spread is around 3 points.

You can learn a little. The Wyoming QB is not good. If the defense has trouble stopping the run with their basic stuff, man up on the corners and make sure the TEs are covered.

I didnt watch the game but it sounds like Wyoming dominated. I’m sure they showed as little as possible on both sides of the ball to make it harder for WSU to game plan for them.

You need to remember that their QB is a RS Frosh making his debut on the road. He was 13-22 for 137 yards with an offense which shut down to prepare fpr this week. Last year the Cowboys averaged 177 yds passing per game and 226 rushing yds per game I do nor expect that to change. The Cowboys have 9 returning starters on offense. That is an experienced quality team which is superbly coached. The Cowboys led the nation last year in having underclassmen starting last year at 56.2 % and won 8 games last year. Their defense was one of the most improved last year by 17.7 ppg and 117 yds per game. Their offense won 8 games last year with a celebrated QB who completed 56.2$ of his passes.
You can learn a lot and a victory is certainly not a simple sure thing as some people are suggesting.

So, after you've had a chance to watch the Wyoming game, what's your thoughts? Strengths and weaknesses that you see in Wyoming. What would YOU do if you were to play against Wyoming?
Didn't watch the game, be seeing as it's a season opener, and the opponent looks to actually have a pulse, I don't like our chances.

That being said, best v best we beat them handily. We'll lose, but we shouldn't.

Reactions: Cougzz
Total fabrication of football wisdom Wyoming s best vs WSU s best foresees a very close ball game.

You need to remember that their QB is a RS Frosh making his debut on the road. He was 13-22 for 137 yards with an offense which shut down to prepare fpr this week. Last year the Cowboys averaged 177 yds passing per game and 226 rushing yds per game I do nor expect that to change. The Cowboys have 9 returning starters on offense. That is an experienced quality team which is superbly coached. The Cowboys led the nation last year in having underclassmen starting last year at 56.2 % and won 8 games last year. Their defense was one of the most improved last year by 17.7 ppg and 117 yds per game. Their offense won 8 games last year with a celebrated QB who completed 56.2$ of his passes.
You can learn a lot and a victory is certainly not a simple sure thing as some people are suggesting.
In all honesty ElC, I'm hard pressed to find anyone on here who is predicting a "simple, sure thing"?

1. Perhaps but people talk like if the cougs do a few simple things that the game is an automatic win" Best v best we beat then handily"; "You can learn a little.The Wyoming QB is not good. If the defense has trouble stopping the run with their basic stuff man up the corners and make sure the TE s are covered" Truth be told they may have trouble on both sides of the ball and will be lucky to come out of the game with a win. If the cougs beat them handily i will be very pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Cougzz
Betcha Pelluer has 14 tackles and the d has several sacks. Snoudn't be close.

I'm not so sure. No prediction, but Wyoming looks very physical, especially on defense. We'll see how our defense holds up without Lolohea, Oguayo, Onyeukwu, and perhaps Moore and Tago. That's five guys who were going to play significant minutes.

1. Perhaps but people talk like if the cougs do a few simple things that the game is an automatic win" Best v best we beat then handily"; "You can learn a little.The Wyoming QB is not good. If the defense has trouble stopping the run with their basic stuff man up the corners and make sure the TE s are covered" Truth be told they may have trouble on both sides of the ball and will be lucky to come out of the game with a win. If the cougs beat them handily i will be very pleasantly surprised.
Since you are a complete rube... When do teams ever get to play best v best. It's called a hypothetical, you simpleton.

Now crawl back under the box you call home and maybe I'll hand you a dollar to go buy more ripple.

Reactions: 7ICoug
No game is automatic. Cougs are more talented but not enough to overcome turnovers, or a little home cooking.

Biggest advantage is that I think most on this board are under estimating our QB advantage simply because he is new to our program

I'm not so sure. No prediction, but Wyoming looks very physical, especially on defense. We'll see how our defense holds up without Lolohea, Oguayo, Onyeukwu, and perhaps Moore and Tago. That's five guys who were going to play significant minutes.
If WSU can't shut down their running attack....I agree...they have a great deal of work to do. That's why I'm predicting Payton has a "high tackle" game. If it's one of the safeties...then there's a great amount of work to do.

When does your bench Minshew campaign start?

Bleeding again for your simplistic statement and you made to look like a complete fool The truth is that the supposedly better athletes are not really that great on many college teams. Fans wonder why the NFL does not draft their players? The simple answer is that there are better athletes in other leagues and only a few teams like Alabama Ohio State and others have quantitatively better athletes than most college teams. Speaking of it looks like the PAC 12 is rising again. It looks like Washington.Stanford and USC will have high ranked teams. It also looks like the other teams are improving also so this should be a good year for the PAC 12.

Bleeding again for your simplistic statement and you made to look like a complete fool The truth is that the supposedly better athletes are not really that great on many college teams. Fans wonder why the NFL does not draft their players? The simple answer is that there are better athletes in other leagues and only a few teams like Alabama Ohio State and others have quantitatively better athletes than most college teams. Speaking of it looks like the PAC 12 is rising again. It looks like Washington.Stanford and USC will have high ranked teams. It also looks like the other teams are improving also so this should be a good year for the PAC 12.

So, when does your bench Minshew campaign start?

If WSU can't shut down their running attack....I agree...they have a great deal of work to do. That's why I'm predicting Payton has a "high tackle" game. If it's one of the safeties...then there's a great amount of work to do.

Truly, the work that needed to be done was in recruiting and in the weight room. At what time in your tenure at WSU do you see holes in your roster and make adjustments accordingly???

The DL needed to be addressed two years ago with JC players. Those kids would be seniors now.

There is depth of talent and depth of bodies. There comes a point when you need to be consistently bringing in enough kids at a position of need to make it go.

It really is as simple as signing 22 high school kids every year, JC kids added as needed.

Actually i want Minshew to succeed. My greatest worry is that the cougs may have a tough go against the Wyoming defense and Leach benches him .If that happens then leach may bring in your favorite son. I like a Qb with swagger and athleticism to scramble out of the pocket.In my opinion the cougs will be far better off starting Minshew the whole entire season.

Per 24/7, Tago practiced on 8/21. We know Lolohea’s gone, hopeful we see the others mentioned in this week’s practice reports.

Actually i want Minshew to succeed. My greatest worry is that the cougs may have a tough go against the Wyoming defense and Leach benches him .If that happens then leach may bring in your favorite son. I like a Qb with swagger and athleticism to scramble out of the pocket.In my opinion the cougs will be far better off starting Minshew the whole entire season.

Question for the board- Should we set an over/under on when ElC decides that Minshew should get pulled?

Question for you How dense are you really? I think a better over and under is when you finally admit you do not know squat about football. I know where i will place my money :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT