ADVERTISEMENT

Powell, Gueye officially in draft, 2 schollies available, WSU Front Runner for 6-9 Spencer Mahoney.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Semi surprising that Powell staying in draft.

He is not in any mock drafts, no G League invites. Powell has gotten positive feedback from NBA, but it's probable that he either goes undrafted, gets a G League invite, or gets a overseas contract.

He is making a mistake, and should have stayed at WSU.

He won't be that hard to replace as Yesufu, Rice, Darling,Kymany, Jabe, plus whoever, whatever Transfer portal transfer, grad transfer, JC transfer, HS recruit, etc, collectively can, probably will be a ok replacement for Powell.

247 says that WSU has been working with Spencer Mahoney the most, and the hardest, and said Spencer had a great visit, and said after the visit that WSU has not only made Spencer's favorites list, but also is considered the Front Runner.

Spencer has gotten offers from Syracuse, Seton Hall, SMU.

Depending on who, if WSU replaced Powell with, WSU should still probably win about 16 to 20, 18 average, games in regular season, about 8-10, 10-10, 11-9, 12-8, in conference, tied for 4th in conference at best, or tied for 5th, alone in 6th, or tied for 6th, alone in 7th, at worst, in conference, about 8-4,5, 10-3, 11-2 in Noncon, maybe 1 PAC 12 tourny win, NCAA 2nd round elimination, 11th seed, Bubble in/NIT Elite 8 bubble in, CBI Final 2 at worst, about 19,20,21,22,23,24 total wins after the tournaments, season is over.

I think that's a realistic projection range, considering all the roster upheaval.

Semi surprising that Powell staying in draft.

He is not in any mock drafts, no G League invites. Powell has gotten positive feedback from NBA, but it's probable that he either goes undrafted, gets a G League invite, or gets a overseas contract.

He is making a mistake, and should have stayed at WSU.

He won't be that hard to replace as Yesufu, Rice, Darling,Kymany, Jabe, plus whoever, whatever Transfer portal transfer, grad transfer, JC transfer, HS recruit, etc, collectively can, probably will be a ok replacement for Powell.

247 says that WSU has been working with Spencer Mahoney the most, and the hardest, and said Spencer had a great visit, and said after the visit that WSU has not only made Spencer's favorites list, but also is considered the Front Runner.

Spencer has gotten offers from Syracuse, Seton Hall, SMU.

Depending on who, if WSU replaced Powell with, WSU should still probably win about 16 to 20, 18 average, games in regular season, about 8-10, 10-10, 11-9, 12-8, in conference, tied for 4th in conference at best, or tied for 5th, alone in 6th, or tied for 6th, alone in 7th, at worst, in conference, about 8-4,5, 10-3, 11-2 in Noncon, maybe 1 PAC 12 tourny win, NCAA 2nd round elimination, 11th seed, Bubble in/NIT Elite 8 bubble in, CBI Final 2 at worst, about 19,20,21,22,23,24 total wins after the tournaments, season is over.

I think that's a realistic projection range, considering all the roster upheaval.

Unsure what Spencer Mahoney's height is. Various different sources have him at various heights like usually about 6-8(Probably most accurate), 6-9, 6-7.

He is a HYBRID 3,4.

Unsure what Spencer Mahoney's height is. Various different sources have him at various heights like usually about 6-8(Probably most accurate), 6-9, 6-7.

He is a HYBRID 3,4.
Yeah. I have seen him listed anywhere from 6'7" 180 to 6'9" 230.

Looks like it might be down to WSU and Seton Hall. For whatever reason Syracuse went a different direction a longtime ago. At this point he’s probably as good as we’re going to get. Shooter with good size and length who can fill many different roles, certainly could be worse.

Looks like it might be down to WSU and Seton Hall. For whatever reason Syracuse went a different direction a longtime ago. At this point he’s probably as good as we’re going to get. Shooter with good size and length who can fill many different roles, certainly could be worse.

247 said that Seton Hall, wasn't in of as in Hot Pursuit of, recruiting him as hard as, etc, as WSU is, and that Seton Hall really hasn't been trying that hard, or as if they cared as much, and even have back up options to Spencer Mahoney, compared to WSU, Smith being ALL IN, on Spencer Mahoney.

247 said that tho it's down to WSU and Seton Hall, that Seton Hall, is basically out of the running, doesn't have much of a chance, and that WSU is the FRONT RUNNER, and that WSU will probably get the kid.

The kid is definitely a shooter first and foremost, but the kid was defending PG's SG's on the perimeter, and defending the perimeter well, and wasn't easily beat off the dribble, and didn't have players blow by him.

He also on a very extremely limited basis, did beat some of the better players, defenders, in the EYBL, in BROOKLYN, NYC, off the dribble, blow by them to basket, etc.

That tells me the kid can drive, create his own shot, he just hasn't voluntarily asserted himself, and do it much.

That's probably because AAU turned him into a shoot first shooter.

But if he works on driving, creating his own shot, and asserts himself, and tries to do that, he will be able to drive, create his own shot, etc, instead of only just shooting first.

The kid has Huge Potential, Huge Upside, etc.

247 said that Seton Hall, wasn't in of as in Hot Pursuit of, recruiting him as hard as, etc, as WSU is, and that Seton Hall really hasn't been trying that hard, or as if they cared as much, and even have back up options to Spencer Mahoney, compared to WSU, Smith being ALL IN, on Spencer Mahoney.

247 said that tho it's down to WSU and Seton Hall, that Seton Hall, is basically out of the running, doesn't have much of a chance, and that WSU is the FRONT RUNNER, and that WSU will probably get the kid.

The kid is definitely a shooter first and foremost, but the kid was defending PG's SG's on the perimeter, and defending the perimeter well, and wasn't easily beat off the dribble, and didn't have players blow by him.

He also on a very extremely limited basis, did beat some of the better players, defenders, in the EYBL, in BROOKLYN, NYC, off the dribble, blow by them to basket, etc.

That tells me the kid can drive, create his own shot, he just hasn't voluntarily asserted himself, and do it much.

That's probably because AAU turned him into a shoot first shooter.

But if he works on driving, creating his own shot, and asserts himself, and tries to do that, he will be able to drive, create his own shot, etc, instead of only just shooting first.

The kid has Huge Potential, Huge Upside, etc.
Your last line about potential and upside is irrelevant with the transfer portal. Teams to look at kids as one and dones unless you’re James Darling’s son and there’s a strong chance you’ll stick around.

Your last line about potential and upside is irrelevant with the transfer portal. Teams to look at kids as one and dones unless you’re James Darling’s son and there’s a strong chance you’ll stick around.

Spencer Mahoney might transfer, might not, might stay at WSU for 1,2,3 years before transferring, might goto NBA, after Junior year, etc, WE DONT KNOW. Yes it's more LIKELY he might transfer with NIL + Portal environment, but that's no guarantee that he will transfer or transfer sooner.

Also even if he were to transfer after his sophmore, Junior year, POTENTIAL, UPSIDE can be realized in 1,2 years. It doesn't have to take 4,5 years to realize, achieve, develop Potential, Upside.

And even if only get the kid for 1 year, season, AFTER the kid develops, achieves potential, upside, and only has 1 impactful, contributing, etc, year, season, before transferring, then thats ok in a way, because Smith will find, get a replacement, like he always does.

Even tho you have to get a lot of portal transfers, JC transfers, Grad Transfers, etc, to replace players, plug holes, etc, you still have to get 1,2,3 HS recruits, develop them, get 1,2 years out of them, and then replace them, etc.

Also keep in mind that Rodman stayed 3,4 years before he transfered.

Spencer is a already good enough player that even if don't get to use the HUGE potential before he transfers, your still probably getting something before he transfers, and because of that he is WORTH the CALCULATED GAMBLE, RISK, that might be able to capitalize on, get the HUGE POTENTIAL BEFORE the kid transfers.

Also for better or for worse, it is what it is, etc, WSU has to take these type of calculated risk, gambles to get these type of high enough level players in order to compete, and win.

Not sure if a Spencer Mahoney will stick around all for years or not but I see zero chance he will leave for the NBA! Watching his highlights and they are highlights he seems painfully slow and at 6-7to 6-9 he barely gets above the rim. They are highlights and there are only a few dunks and none scream athleticism. If we get him how about we let him be what he is, a decent recruit picked up late in the cycle, when not much is available. FYI he shot bad this summer and his ranking and stock has been trending down.

Not sure if a Spencer Mahoney will stick around all for years or not but I see zero chance he will leave for the NBA! Watching his highlights and they are highlights he seems painfully slow and at 6-7to 6-9 he barely gets above the rim. They are highlights and there are only a few dunks and none scream athleticism. If we get him how about we let him be what he is, a decent recruit picked up late in the cycle, when not much is available. FYI he shot bad this summer and his ranking and stock has been trending down.

Hey, I'm not saying, suggesting he is going to NBA, or that he has semi NBA ish potential, etc.

The ONLY reason I even said the word NBA, is that 1. We don't know if he would, will stay, transfer, go overseas, G League, NBA, wherever, whatever, etc, etc. I say that because some are being Chicken Littleish, to the point, where they are almost advocating that WSU, Smith should not even recruit even 1 HS recruit, because they might transfer, and that if WSU, Smith does get a semi high level HS recruit, like Chinyelu, NJIE, Spencer, Watts, etc, that they are going to transfer, and suck, etc, because they will transfer, etc, etc.

As to what Spencer is, he is a FOUR STAR.

He is a SHOOTER first and foremost. He is going thru a temporary Slump in the summer.

In videos on You Tube of his play at the EYBL, Brooklyn, he played pretty good perimeter defense, with his lateral quick feet, against some pretty good guards there.

And even though he only did this 1,2,3,4 times, he did beat some pretty good defensive players off the dribble, blew by them, got to basket, created his own shot.

He does not have NBA ish freakish athleticism, jump out of gym ability, but he can dunk, jump high, etc, if he gets a running jump, as his stand in place jump isn't that good, great.

Like I said before I suspect he is a late bloomer, and because of that, has clumsy feet, doesn't jump as high, etc, kind of like WSU's Donaldson, that had clumsy feet, didn't jump high.

I suspect that as Spencer trains harder, works harder, more on his feet, jumping, etc, that his muscles that trigger speed, quickness, explosiveness, jumping will probably improve. Not to the point of NBA athleticism, but still a improvement.

I also suspect that if the kid works on his driving, creating own shot, etc, that he will get better at that.

I suspect that that Spencer became a shoot first, shoot only player in AAU and that he is a late bloomer, and that he hasn't ASSERTED himself in driving, creating own shot, attacking basket, jumping, etc.

I suspect that because of the few times he has blew by some good defenders, and played good perimeter, lateral defense against good guards, I suspect that he has the ability to drive, create own shot, blow by defenders, attack basket, etc, IF IF he practices on that, and IF IF he ASSERTS himself to try to do that.

I don't think you have seen the videos I have seen of his play, and I think you have seen OLDER stuff of his play.

I don't think he is as bad as your seeming to suggest, at least to me.

And I don't think he is a NBA prospect, player.

At best he might be a G League player, but that's a stretch, but then again, Powell is in the NBA draft, and got POSITIVE feedback from NBA, and I think this kid might have the potential to be better player then Powell.

Also he might be good enough to play overseas, as well, at best.

The kid has a lot of potential, upside, if he develops, pans out, etc.

Will he do that, I don't know.

But like you said, I agree that let's see what happens, what he does, before writing him off, and being chicken Littleish, and saying he will transfer, etc.

Also when I mentioned Malik Sealy, Sean Elliot, earlier as far as a comparison, I wasn't comparing the kid to their abilities, etc, I was comparing him to their being a HYBRID 3,4,2 spots type of player.

He is listed anywhere from 6-7 to 6-9 and 187 to 220 so it is very possible a 2 or 3 inch growth spurt has created a situation where he has not yet adjusted to his new size. We are going to be semi limited talent wise this year at least experienced talent so he will get his chance to prove his worth. In a perfect world he would develop into a 3/4 combo player but this year I think he will be more of a pick and pop 4 man. Guarding a 4 will not require as much speed and his length should be effective in a zone.
Of course this is all contingent upon his choosing WSU, which he didn’t do on his visit. Which tells me he still has other options to look at.
These are his EYBL stats from last summer, 23% from behind the 3 point line is scary and goes to show highlights can be deceiving, also 55% from the charity stripe isn’t positive either. I guess this is why he has been dropping in the rankings

SEASON​

DATEGPPPGFGMFGAFG%FTMFTAFT%3PM3PA3P%PTSHIGH
The Circuit138.243105.4101120.5501251.235106106
2022 Totals138.243105.4101120.5501251.23510617
CAREER STATS

Last edited:
He is listed anywhere from 6-7 to 6-9 and 187 to 220 so it is very possible a 2 or 3 inch growth spurt has created a situation where he has not yet adjusted to his new size. We are going to be semi limited talent wise this year at least experienced talent so he will get his chance to prove his worth. In a perfect world he would develop into a 3/4 combo player but this year I think he will be more of a pick and pop 4 man. Guarding a 4 will not require as much speed and his length should be effective in a zone.
Of course this is all contingent upon his choosing WSU, which he didn’t do on his visit. Which tells me he still has other options to look at.
These are his EYBL stats from last summer, 23% from behind the 3 point line is scary and goes to show highlights can be deceiving, also 55% from the charity stripe isn’t positive either. I guess this is why he has been dropping in the rankings

SEASON​

DATEGPPPGFGMFGAFG%FTMFTAFT%3PM3PA3P%PTSHIGH
The Circuit138.243105.4101120.5501251.235106106
2022 Totals138.243105.4101120.5501251.23510617
CAREER STATS

The 8.2 ppg is actually quite decent against BROOKLYN competition.

Brooklyn Competition, and EYBL IN, AT Brooklyn usually has some of the BEST highschool players. There are literally PLAYGROUND BASKETBALL players there that would beat, dominate WA's best Highschool Varsity players, as that's how good the players in, at EYBL, BROOKLYN, NYC are.

And it's against that extremely high level of competition, that Spencer has played against.

I suppose the videos of him can be misleading.

All I know is that there were guards that looked pretty darn quick, fast, speedy, shifty, explosive, that looked like Spencer was shutting down on the perimeter, not letting them by him, where they would have a very fast seeming first step, and try to explode by him, only for Spencer to recover, get in front of them again, wall, shield them off from basket, stop them, cause them to have to stop, and back up again, back to the perimeter again.

And Spencer did BLOW BY about 2,3,4 Guards, guarding him.

Now maybe your right in maybe the Videos are, can be misleading, deceiving, but he looked pretty dam good in those videos at times, and it made it look misleading.

One thing that the videos revealed on why he might be going thru that shooting slump, is that he jacks up CONTESTED, RUSHED, ETC, outside shots, 3's so much, that that's probably why his shooting percentage is struggling.

That's something that the coaching staff will probably have to work with the kid on is his shot selection, and taking, getting better shots, and not forcing, jacking up BAD shots, like he did in AAU, and at EYBL, in Brooklyn.

That might have flied, been ok with lesser competition, but against EYBL, Brooklyn, NYC, level competition, that's not gonna cut it, fly, not ok.

And if he does that at the P5, PAC 12 level, he will be in for a rude awakening.

But the coaching staff can probably help him to not do that.

As to whether he is coming to WSU, 247, ESPN, Rivals, etc, have Spencer practically penciled in at WSU over Seton Hall, SMU.

That doesn't mean it's guaranteed, but it's extremely likely, as I doubt the sources are wrong about that.

But we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Brooklyn has actually had quite a dry spell of D-1 basketball players, while Seatle has produced some of the best players in the country.

Brooklyn has actually had quite a dry spell of D-1 basketball players, while Seatle has produced some of the best players in the country.

I'm not just only talking about Brooklyn. I'm talking about Brooklyn AND NYC, AND Harlem, etc, etc. The EYBL at Brooklyn is just the GATHERING place.

That would be kind of like if it was EYBL at Seattle, it wouldn't just only be city of Seattle, but also all the other cities like Bothell, Kent, Tacoma, Bellevue, etc.

Also the Harlem, Brooklyn, NYC, New Jersey, etc, Collectively as a whole, has historically been better then Seattle and the rest of WA.

Also for the last about 2,3,4,5 years Seattle Recruiting, talent hasn't been that good. Not bad, but not great either.

Back when Seattle put out all the NBA players starting with Jamal Crawford, thru Tony Wroten, etc, for 15 years before the last not as good 5 years, Seattle was at the top, better then the NYC collective of NYC, Brooklyn, Harlem, Jersey, etc.

But collectively overall from 1980 to 1999, 2017 to 2023 the NYC collective area has been better then not only the Seattle collective area, but better then the LA area, etc.

The NYC collective area has had a dry spell, especially putting out NBA players, but NYC area still puts out more D1, midmajor, group of 5, etc, more then Seattle, into the Big East, AAC, ACC, SEC, BIG 10, etc.

Also another thing to consider is that NYC area would have even more, if a lot more NYC inner city kids could get into college, instead of having their D1 offers rejected by NCAA, Individual colleges, because they are not educated, smart enough, etc, to make it into college, even after they get D1 offers. Many of those PLAYGROUND BASKETBALLERS only continue to play playground basketball, because they can't get into college after their D1 offers.

Also there are NAIA, D2, FCS football level colleges that NYC players goto, where those said players are better then Seattle's and WA's players.

It's kind of like how the SEC's 3 star football players are better then the WA 5 star football players.

It's that same kind of thing in basketball in NYC area vs Seattle. Even the NYC area NAIA, D2, FCS football colleges basketball programs players from NYC area are better the Seattle area, because the competition is so steep, and many of the kids get mislabeled, misevaluated, get buried behind NBA level talent, fall between the crack, get convinced that they are lower level then they are, and so go NAIA, to soon, an or can't make it academically into a D1 college.

That's why there are so many D2 players from the NYC area that not only do well at that area, but transfer up to P5, and do well there.

Except for the exceptions, OVERALL the players from, in the NYC area have been, are better then most players from Seattle, WA, and most areas in general around the country.

The NYC area, eats, drink, sleeps, dreams, plays, almost nothing but basketball, combined with having the bigger, biggest metro area, population, combined with having the best coaches, mentors, pro jams, highschool programs, AAU, etc.

Basketball is LIFE, and Life is BASKETBALL to the NYC area.

Spencer is, was going against a higher level of competition OVERALL, EXCEPT FOR THE EXCEPTIONS, at the EYBL at Brooklyn, then Seattle, LA, and probably anywhere else in the country.

And for him to get 8.2 points per game vs that is decent, not bad, etc.

And that's why NYC area has that reputation.

Your not going to convince me that Seattle area is a better basketball area OVERALL, except for exceptions, then the NYC area.

EYBL (Nike Elite Basketball League) is national and has tournaments all over the country.
It’s obviously debatable but imo Seatle area is far superior to NYC basketball in the last ten years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT