ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-fall camp thread

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
Just something for discussion before we start getting camp reports and the season begins. Quick fire format, simple stuff, then we can argue about what we post :D

1. I'm excited about: The offense. Falk is back, we're 4 deep at running back, we've got as many as three upperclassmen on the offensive line that might at least get a look in an NFL camp, and while they aren't very experienced the receiver group is probably the most physically gifted it's been under Leach (even without Priester).

2. I'm worried about: The front seven. There's bodies here but aside from Pelluer, Ekuale, and Hercules, they aren't proven commodities because of injury or youth. The pass rush and the push against straight power running games (USC/Stanford/UW/Utah) has to be better than it was last year, especially when Barber was out.

3. I'm skeptical of: the kicking game. Can Powell do it all, consistently? If he can that's terrific, but we start from square one again next spring, and if he gets hurt special teams becomes exciting for all the wrong reasons.

4. I think we finish: 2nd in the division, behind UW. Stanford will be the favorite next year most likely, but it's still the Huskies to lose until people start beating them.

5. Youngsters to watch offense: Renard Bell and Frederick Mauigoa (somebody has to catch some balls in the slot and young Freddie seems ready to be the anchor of the next generation on the line).

6. Youngsters to watch defense: Nnamdi Oguayo and pick anyone you want in the secondary (the defense hasn't had a decent edge rusher since Palacio and McLennan left, and Oguayo fits the bill better than most returnees, and I love all the athletes in the secondary).

Just something for discussion before we start getting camp reports and the season begins. Quick fire format, simple stuff, then we can argue about what we post :D

1. I'm excited about: The offense. Falk is back, we're 4 deep at running back, we've got as many as three upperclassmen on the offensive line that might at least get a look in an NFL camp, and while they aren't very experienced the receiver group is probably the most physically gifted it's been under Leach (even without Priester).

2. I'm worried about: The front seven. There's bodies here but aside from Pelluer, Ekuale, and Hercules, they aren't proven commodities because of injury or youth. The pass rush and the push against straight power running games (USC/Stanford/UW/Utah) has to be better than it was last year, especially when Barber was out.

3. I'm skeptical of: the kicking game. Can Powell do it all, consistently? If he can that's terrific, but we start from square one again next spring, and if he gets hurt special teams becomes exciting for all the wrong reasons.

4. I think we finish: 2nd in the division, behind UW. Stanford will be the favorite next year most likely, but it's still the Huskies to lose until people start beating them.

5. Youngsters to watch offense: Renard Bell and Frederick Mauigoa (somebody has to catch some balls in the slot and young Freddie seems ready to be the anchor of the next generation on the line).

6. Youngsters to watch defense: Nnamdi Oguayo and pick anyone you want in the secondary (the defense hasn't had a decent edge rusher since Palacio and McLennan left, and Oguayo fits the bill better than most returnees, and I love all the athletes in the secondary).

Derek Moore, Chima Onyeukwu, Sean Harper and Grant Porter are intriguing prospects on defense. Harper and Porter bring some height to the d-backfield. Moore and Onyeukwu supposedly have the kind of speed we haven't seen at linebacker in quite some time.

What is not to be excited about? Leach has gotten us to bowl games despite having 11th or 12th ranked talent, and we are starting to move up that talent ladder now. Because Leach is the absolute master of doing more with less, I would not be surprised if we made a run at the North crown.

I feel like the type of WR Leach would recruit is going to be plug and play and that he values the ability to pick up the offense over physical characteristics. That being said, we have some real physical specimens ready to play, and if what I said is true, we are going to have a hell of a year on offense with the new crop of big, speedy WRs.

Secondary will be fine because Pippens can play 3 positions (and probably OLB as well...)

Most important position to fill IMHO - slot receiver. Need a guy with the cajones to take a beating and hold onto the ball. Hopefully he'll be in camp this fall.

If you can't run it behind Goliath, who can you run it behind???

The offense should be inside zone and counter until the defense can stop it. Just like Nebraska running dive with Tom Osbourne. Do you wanna be the DE taking on a pulling Goliath??? That's 6'8" 360lbs right at you. Who cares if the defense knows it's coming? Stop it.

In the NFL they call it a contract year. Guys go all out in the final year of their current contract so they can drive the price on their next contract. WSU has a couple OL that need huge years. It is time to get PAID!!! Knock these f$ckers out and get your $$$!!!!

If there were ever a year when the AR should be wide open, its this year. You are forcing defenses to leave 8 in the box to stop the run. Play action and verts should be wide open.

42 points per game should be a slow day. For realz.

Excited about the increase in speed on defense we should see on the field but still concerned about the NT/DTs depth. Tapa's academic standing, conditioning, and consistency even as a backup. Who else beyond Ekuale and McBroom?

Replacing Luani and Marks/Cracraft is asking a lot. We do have a lot of options though.

Good or bad news fall camp will provide the answers.

JAHAD WOODS

We need this young man to be a key Coug this year & give us the much needed speed & sure tackling at the LB spot.

Derek Moore, Chima Onyeukwu, Sean Harper and Grant Porter are intriguing prospects on defense. Harper and Porter bring some height to the d-backfield. Moore and Onyeukwu supposedly have the kind of speed we haven't seen at linebacker in quite some time.
Based on the stuff I've read/skimmed/gleaned online, Moore and Harper might both be starting before too long, and Porter might as well be. I was excited about Harper when we signed him as a frosh so I'm looking forward to watching him now.

I feel like the type of WR Leach would recruit is going to be plug and play and that he values the ability to pick up the offense over physical characteristics. That being said, we have some real physical specimens ready to play, and if what I said is true, we are going to have a hell of a year on offense with the new crop of big, speedy WRs.

Secondary will be fine because Pippens can play 3 positions (and probably OLB as well...)

Most important position to fill IMHO - slot receiver. Need a guy with the cajones to take a beating and hold onto the ball. Hopefully he'll be in camp this fall.
I'm sure hands, route-running, smarts, and work ethic are all concerns on par with or higher than speed or height, but having somebody who can get deep (remember Dom Williams could take the top off the D not because he had track speed but because he ran a fantastic vertical route and made great catches, but he also had some height) and grab the flag/fade routes over the top of the defenders opens up the middle for the slot guys.

The offense should be inside zone and counter until the defense can stop it. Just like Nebraska running dive with Tom Osbourne. Do you wanna be the DE taking on a pulling Goliath??? That's 6'8" 360lbs right at you. Who cares if the defense knows it's coming? Stop it.

In the NFL they call it a contract year. Guys go all out in the final year of their current contract so they can drive the price on their next contract. WSU has a couple OL that need huge years. It is time to get PAID!!! Knock these f$ckers out and get your $$$!!!!

If there were ever a year when the AR should be wide open, its this year. You are forcing defenses to leave 8 in the box to stop the run. Play action and verts should be wide open.

I find myself wondering if we could force a couple of teams to try to run blitz us. I'm sure a couple screens to counter that to any of our RBs and most of our receivers would go for great yardage, just like the shovel pass can if you only use it a couple times a game at the right moment. We have guys who can make plays in the open field now, all over the place.

I find myself wondering if we could force a couple of teams to try to run blitz us. I'm sure a couple screens to counter that to any of our RBs and most of our receivers would go for great yardage, just like the shovel pass can if you only use it a couple times a game at the right moment. We have guys who can make plays in the open field now, all over the place.

Seems to me that'd be a last ditch effort. You're not gonna get home every time. Blitz into a play action pass and you left too few guys back to defend the pass.

The days of dropping 8 into coverage and making the WSU QB throw through the bodies are coming to an end this year.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
I'm sure hands, route-running, smarts, and work ethic are all concerns on par with or higher than speed or height, but having somebody who can get deep (remember Dom Williams could take the top off the D not because he had track speed but because he ran a fantastic vertical route and made great catches, but he also had some height) and grab the flag/fade routes over the top of the defenders opens up the middle for the slot guys.

Right. My point stands though, that it doesn't matter how tall or fast you are (or aren't) if you're running directly into coverage. Falk is a good qb and he's not going to throw where there are defenders waiting to pick the ball because Usain Bolt doesn't know how to read a defense and get to the open spot(s).

Not likely the way leach seems to enjoy coming out of the gate slinging the ball, but I 100% agree...really good backs running downhill behind O'Connell and when DBs are sick of tackling wicks and chasing Williams, light em up Luke! RUN IT EARLY AND OFTEN!

Reactions: kayak15
Not likely the way leach seems to enjoy coming out of the gate slinging the ball, but I 100% agree...really good backs running downhill behind O'Connell and when DBs are sick of tackling wicks and chasing Williams, light em up Luke! RUN IT EARLY AND OFTEN!
I don't know that I really give a rip either way... run or throw. Whatever is more effective at the time. And so in that light...

I think Biggs is right. The days of dropping 8 is coming to an end. But I'm not sure I'm in agreement with 90 on the reasons. I don't know that we have to run early, run often, to put the other teams on notice. I think they already know. How does any team in the U.S. not know about our running backs? They do, I can guarantee it. And if they DO want to drop 8, I think it'll take one run from our outstanding RB squad to put them on notice. CML's brand of football is exciting. And he teaches the QB's his brand. I'm OK with staying the coarse. "Take advantage of what the D gives you." Maybe I'm getting stuck on semantics but I do see a difference. So they drop 8... I think Falk will recognize that.

And so what I see now is, it's all about the chess match. D lines up this way... we shift, we change, we do something. D tries to counter. We finally have personnel that fills the roster that requires the D to cover the whole field. We've been digging out of a hole for quite a while. And this year, I hope WSU will finally take advantage of that.

I think we also need to remind... it isn't CML that's calling the run or pass. That is on the shoulders of the QB, at least if all is the same as in the past. Maybe semantics again...

I don't know that I really give a rip either way... run or throw. Whatever is more effective at the time. And so in that light...

I think Biggs is right. The days of dropping 8 is coming to an end. But I'm not sure I'm in agreement with 90 on the reasons. I don't know that we have to run early, run often, to put the other teams on notice. I think they already know. How does any team in the U.S. not know about our running backs? They do, I can guarantee it. And if they DO want to drop 8, I think it'll take one run from our outstanding RB squad to put them on notice. CML's brand of football is exciting. And he teaches the QB's his brand. I'm OK with staying the coarse. "Take advantage of what the D gives you." Maybe I'm getting stuck on semantics but I do see a difference. So they drop 8... I think Falk will recognize that.

And so what I see now is, it's all about the chess match. D lines up this way... we shift, we change, we do something. D tries to counter. We finally have personnel that fills the roster that requires the D to cover the whole field. We've been digging out of a hole for quite a while. And this year, I hope WSU will finally take advantage of that.

I think we also need to remind... it isn't CML that's calling the run or pass. That is on the shoulders of the QB, at least if all is the same as in the past. Maybe semantics again...
Until we consistently prove that we can hurt teams by handing it off, they're going to continue to play the pass against us. Last season our rushing offense was ranked #114 out of 128 teams, with only 120 yards per game. Only one bowl team (Central Michigan) had less rushing yards than us. That doesn't represent a team that you need to focus on stopping the run against.

We ran 362 times, and threw 664 (I'm not sure if that counts the 29 sacks we gave up - I'll assume it does). That means we run about 35% of the time. Again, it makes sense to focus on the pass defensively.

I'm not saying our backs aren't a threat, I think they are. But the numbers and our utilization don't support the idea that people are about to stop dropping 8. The only thing that will make defenses adjust is if they drop 8 and we start running for 200+ underneath the D.

I'm not betting on that happening though, because if the run is that open, so is the short pass (probably). Even more important, switching to the run speeds up the game, pushes the score down, and means our defense has to be more effective at keeping points off the board. So far, I don't think our D is built that way.

Until we consistently prove that we can hurt teams by handing it off, they're going to continue to play the pass against us. Last season our rushing offense was ranked #114 out of 128 teams, with only 120 yards per game. Only one bowl team (Central Michigan) had less rushing yards than us. That doesn't represent a team that you need to focus on stopping the run against.

We ran 362 times, and threw 664 (I'm not sure if that counts the 29 sacks we gave up - I'll assume it does). That means we run about 35% of the time. Again, it makes sense to focus on the pass defensively.

I'm not saying our backs aren't a threat, I think they are. But the numbers and our utilization don't support the idea that people are about to stop dropping 8. The only thing that will make defenses adjust is if they drop 8 and we start running for 200+ underneath the D.

I'm not betting on that happening though, because if the run is that open, so is the short pass (probably). Even more important, switching to the run speeds up the game, pushes the score down, and means our defense has to be more effective at keeping points off the board. So far, I don't think our D is built that way.

The QB has to call the run play and the OL has to knock people out of the way to stop the dropping of 8. If there was gonna be a year when WSU could line up and run right at defenses and win with Jimmy's and Joe's, this is the year.

Having an Outland Trophy contender and not running the football would be like having a big timer at receiver and running the option. You use your best players to make plays. If you don't, someone needs to get fired.

The QB has to call the run play and the OL has to knock people out of the way to stop the dropping of 8. If there was gonna be a year when WSU could line up and run right at defenses and win with Jimmy's and Joe's, this is the year.

Having an Outland Trophy contender and not running the football would be like having a big timer at receiver and running the option. You use your best players to make plays. If you don't, someone needs to get fired.
I get what you and "other 95" are saying. And to a certain extent, I agree. But statistics are awfully bias. Remember all those times Falk ran "the shuffle"? That technically isn't a run but a pass. All those times Falk "threw" the ball to the RB, but the runner had to follow the Olinemen? Technically it was a throw but really?... it was a run by an RB. With CML's plays, he utilizes the RB's and they have to be able to run and many times they run the same route or "path" as if it was handed off... but the delivery to the RB was via a throw. So I get what 95 is saying but I do believe the stats aren't quite representative of reality. True stats of what I'm saying? Don't have them so it's antidotal but by my memory, it was done enough to truly skew those numbers a bit.

And so, to a certain extent, I think we were utilizing them pretty well, last year. I think that's where I found that video that comments on the D takeaways correlating with the number of wins, very interesting.

I hear Falk is a video hound. He's in the tape room quite a bit. I think he will see how teams were reacting last year. I think he's cerebral enough, he'll see exactly what you are saying. At least I hope.

And I DO believe that is what you are saying is... take what the D gives you. They drop 8? Keep utilizing those RB's until they decide to change that. And personally, I don't care if it's a shuffle, a throw or a true hand-off. Remember how CML tracks his play's. He wants even number of plays being played. Had 2 throwing mesh plays? Fine but that means we want 2 running plays from the I... or whatever. He wants balance. So this really turns into Falk recognizing what the D is doing and reacting accordingly.

But I also believe we need to be very careful on the O. I think Random Soul brings up a point that could be the progression of this line of thought. Kind of that, "Be careful what you wish for, your enemy may do what you want AND MORE". Stop dropping 8? Sure we can do that! Here's a few more guys, in your QB's face! We might see how mobile Falk is, this year...

I get what you and "other 95" are saying. And to a certain extent, I agree. But statistics are awfully bias. Remember all those times Falk ran "the shuffle"? That technically isn't a run but a pass. All those times Falk "threw" the ball to the RB, but the runner had to follow the Olinemen? Technically it was a throw but really?... it was a run by an RB. With CML's plays, he utilizes the RB's and they have to be able to run and many times they run the same route or "path" as if it was handed off... but the delivery to the RB was via a throw. So I get what 95 is saying but I do believe the stats aren't quite representative of reality. True stats of what I'm saying? Don't have them so it's antidotal but by my memory, it was done enough to truly skew those numbers a bit.

And so, to a certain extent, I think we were utilizing them pretty well, last year. I think that's where I found that video that comments on the D takeaways correlating with the number of wins, very interesting.

I hear Falk is a video hound. He's in the tape room quite a bit. I think he will see how teams were reacting last year. I think he's cerebral enough, he'll see exactly what you are saying. At least I hope.

And I DO believe that is what you are saying is... take what the D gives you. They drop 8? Keep utilizing those RB's until they decide to change that. And personally, I don't care if it's a shuffle, a throw or a true hand-off. Remember how CML tracks his play's. He wants even number of plays being played. Had 2 throwing mesh plays? Fine but that means we want 2 running plays from the I... or whatever. He wants balance. So this really turns into Falk recognizing what the D is doing and reacting accordingly.

But I also believe we need to be very careful on the O. I think Random Soul brings up a point that could be the progression of this line of thought. Kind of that, "Be careful what you wish for, your enemy may do what you want AND MORE". Stop dropping 8? Sure we can do that! Here's a few more guys, in your QB's face! We might see how mobile Falk is, this year...
Fair point, so here are the numbers: Morrow, Williams, and Wicks combined for 125 catches and 1,014 receiving yards. Converting all of those yards to rushing yards and averaging over the season, it ups our average rushing to 198 yards per game, tied for #44 with UW. That's respectable, and we know that the bulk of the RB catches were short throws to the flats and edges, so maybe it's more fair to consider those runs.

But...most of those throws to the RBs attack the outside, and I think what I (and others) are looking at is yards between the tackles - which is an area we don't attack much. I think that's an area we can address more this year with the OL talent we have, we should have an ability to push the line of scrimmage and grind out some yards. We had serious issues last year when teams took away the receivers on the outside, because we didn't attack the middle. If they defended the edges, they stopped us. This season, we should have the ability to run quick-developing plays right down their throats. No need to use slow developing toss/sweep style runs/passes - just get behind a guard and follow him for 5.

Reactions: Coug95man2

The more athletic defenses (i.e., the UW/USC defenses with big and active d-tackles and speedy linebackers) can still drop eight and then contain the underneath counters (shuffle passes, passes to the backs). Look at the offensive production v. Colorado, UW, and Minnesota. If WSU had a dominant defense that forced even the best defenses back onto the field, the Cougar offense would eventually break loose, however. I don't believe we'll have a dominant defense, unless some of the newcomers (Onyeukwu, Harper, Hendry, Richardson) and younger players from a year ago (Moore, Mattox, Oguayo, Dale, Porter, Woods, Jones, Vinyard, Bartley) can make a real impact. We'll also have to see what kind of presence Ekuale, Tapa, McBroom, and Mata'afa have up front.

Running between the tackles, specifically behind your Bell Cow, is what will force defenses to adjust. An ugly 5 yards on 2nd down is crucial. Following up with a play action pass puts WSU in the endzone from 40 yards away. 8 in the box should equal 6 on the score board. You simply can't defend 4 verts consistently if WSU is taking 4 yards per clip up the middle.

Putting players in a position to make plays isn't just about running, catching or throwing the football. It's also about blocking. When you have the Outland Trophy contender, you use him. End of story.

Fair point, so here are the numbers: Morrow, Williams, and Wicks combined for 125 catches and 1,014 receiving yards. Converting all of those yards to rushing yards and averaging over the season, it ups our average rushing to 198 yards per game, tied for #44 with UW. That's respectable, and we know that the bulk of the RB catches were short throws to the flats and edges, so maybe it's more fair to consider those runs.

But...most of those throws to the RBs attack the outside, and I think what I (and others) are looking at is yards between the tackles - which is an area we don't attack much. I think that's an area we can address more this year with the OL talent we have, we should have an ability to push the line of scrimmage and grind out some yards. We had serious issues last year when teams took away the receivers on the outside, because we didn't attack the middle. If they defended the edges, they stopped us. This season, we should have the ability to run quick-developing plays right down their throats. No need to use slow developing toss/sweep style runs/passes - just get behind a guard and follow him for 5.
You know, with CML's tracking of plays (his napkin he's always scribbling on), I'd be interested to see stats based on sections of the field. We are so narrow in our perception, or definitions, of "run play" or "pass play". I'd almost wager he has the field sectioned off.
Ball caught:
L and 10 yards or less from line of scrimmage.
L and 11 yards or more for line.
R and 10 yards or less...
R and 11 yards or more...
Center 10 yards or less...
Center 11 yards or more...
L backfield
R backfield
hand-offs

BUT with this concept, it's about geography, which has always been his philosophy. Spreading the field, making it hard to cover. Which is also why the stats would be skewed. He doesn't care about something so simple as balancing out pass vs. rush. He's concerned about the QB going to his left, 11 yards or further more than his Z WR getting a little love on the mesh, which would be center field. He's concerned about habits from the QB!

THEN he's balancing out WHOM is carrying the ball, as well! RB? Z? whomever? I don't know. I'm spitballing but it makes sense with what we DO know about how he likes to distribute. And it would also indicate the stats. Be interesting to see those kinds of stats... which I know don't really exist.

Running between the tackles, specifically behind your Bell Cow, is what will force defenses to adjust. An ugly 5 yards on 2nd down is crucial. Following up with a play action pass puts WSU in the endzone from 40 yards away. 8 in the box should equal 6 on the score board. You simply can't defend 4 verts consistently if WSU is taking 4 yards per clip up the middle.

Putting players in a position to make plays isn't just about running, catching or throwing the football. It's also about blocking. When you have the Outland Trophy contender, you use him. End of story.

Although I agree with you, I can't help but feeling like "we need to run the ball more" has been the WSU fans' mantra for the past 20 years (maybe longer?)

Maybe I'll make a shirt and sell it at the stadium. Front reads "Coug fans on passing plays: We need to run the ball more", back reads "Coug fans on running plays: Why don't we go over the top more?"

Although I agree with you, I can't help but feeling like "we need to run the ball more" has been the WSU fans' mantra for the past 20 years (maybe longer?)

Maybe I'll make a shirt and sell it at the stadium. Front reads "Coug fans on passing plays: We need to run the ball more", back reads "Coug fans on running plays: Why don't we go over the top more?"

It has been the mantra. However, they have Goliath at guard this year. If they can't run inside this year, when will they be able to run inside???

It has been the mantra. However, they have Goliath at guard this year. If they can't run inside this year, when will they be able to run inside???
agree, i think that e need to come out that first game on the ground, smash mouth it all the way down the field to the endzone and demoralize MT
ST. if we can't do it against them we won't be able to against anyone

agree, i think that e need to come out that first game on the ground, smash mouth it all the way down the field to the endzone and demoralize MT

Agree.

If you're an Outland Trophy contender and you think you're gonna play in the NFL.. The first 4 games of the season you'd better make sure you're knocking kids off the football and WSU is running behind you for 200 yards per game.

These first 4 games should go pretty quick. There is no reason to be throwing the football 60+ times and stopping the clock. Run the ball right at them and make them stop it.

No NFL scout is gonna watch Montana State's game and decide you should be drafted in the 1st round. They're gonna skip right to SC and see if you have your big ballz on and are knocking people down, leading your running game into the endzone!!!

Run the ball!!!

I'll add that there's was some pretty bad run defenses from last year on the schedule this year. Further establish that fact that your team has a viable run offense if need be, run a great deal against teams with crappy run defenses and save Falk's arm as well as his head when you can. Oregon State being an exception (overall crappy run defense- but played very well against us) from last year. In run defense from last year...you have Nevada (128th), California (127th), Oregon (121st), Oregon State ((102nd), Utah State (91st) and Arizona (83rd). There's potentially a half a dozen teams you can run the ball against.

I'll add that there's was some pretty bad run defenses from last year on the schedule this year. Further establish that fact that your team has a viable run offense if need be, run a great deal against teams with crappy run defenses and save Falk's arm as well as his head when you can. Oregon State being an exception (overall crappy run defense- but played very well against us) from last year. In run defense from last year...you have Nevada (128th), California (127th), Oregon (121st), Oregon State ((102nd), Utah State (91st) and Arizona (83rd). There's potentially a half a dozen teams you can run the ball against.

That's good news. If you're gonna win games against the top half of the league, you can't just be successful running the ball against the bottom half of the league. The OL has to make plays when their number is called.

Here's the problem with statistics though. It doesn't truly tell the story of tendencies and trends, which other coaches look at. Leach likes to get the Air Raid going early and regardless of what the defense lines up in Coug QBs will sling the ball all over the place early in games and especially early in the season. I saw possessions wasted against Portland State and Eastern (yeah I know we scored 40+ and our defense stunk, but possessions were wasted) with a refusal to run the ball early.

Also, committing to the run means getting stuffed a couple of times and still doing it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Coug RB stopped for no gain and then 10-12 straight passes. It's too predictable and leads to tighter throwing lanes and stalled drives.

I get the 65/35 split and that it's still the Air Raid but what makes it tough on defense's is the uncertainty of what's coming. I find the Cougs to be predictable and there's opposing coaches out there a helluva lot smarter than me.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Here's the problem with statistics though. It doesn't truly tell the story of tendencies and trends, which other coaches look at. Leach likes to get the Air Raid going early and regardless of what the defense lines up in Coug QBs will sling the ball all over the place early in games and especially early in the season. I saw possessions wasted against Portland State and Eastern (yeah I know we scored 40+ and our defense stunk, but possessions were wasted) with a refusal to run the ball early.

Also, committing to the run means getting stuffed a couple of times and still doing it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Coug RB stopped for no gain and then 10-12 straight passes. It's too predictable and leads to tighter throwing lanes and stalled drives.

I get the 65/35 split and that it's still the Air Raid but what makes it tough on defense's is the uncertainty of what's coming. I find the Cougs to be predictable and there's opposing coaches out there a helluva lot smarter than me.

Fwiw, I had a dream that Boise State beats us 54-17 in Pullman. Falk threw the ball 87 times.

Reactions: froropmkr72

Ultimately the idea is that scheme, talent, and execution should combine to make uncertainty less relevant. Make the defense cover the whole field, take the best matchups, run them around all over the field. The best offenses just do what they do and dare defenses to stop them, where possible attacking its weakest personnel and/or biggest schematic difficulties within the existing framework. Come out and torch them up top if you can, or run over them, or dink and dunk, take what's there and keep taking it until the defense overcompensates, then go for bigger plays. The only real deception is on specific misdirection plays, or the defense playing with its alignment/showing blitz, or some of that formation/motion noise that Peterson likes so much and the Cougs experimented with last fall. If Falk can stay healthy, and runs the ball judiciously as the opportunities arise, 35+ per game against average or worse defenses should be the expectation, less because Luke is outwitting anybody and more because he's operating the system he's fluent in, taking what's available, and everyone around him is executing properly. Execution over misdirection. And this group of personnel is better suited to pulling it off than any we've had in Pullman. Last year we desperately needed a deep threat. This year I expect at least two to emerge from the receivers.

"Dammit Price, enough with the draw play!" Oh, wrong era :p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT