ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction thread UA

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
I don’t like this matchup for a number of reasons. Road game. JDL factor etc.
However, we play well against opponents that are somewhat one dimensional and UA is going to be slinging it.

Coug DB’s are up to the challenge and the pass rushers get just enough pressure

27-20. Cougs

If JdL throws no ints, then they win a close one...I'm thinking 35-31.

For every JdL int, we score.

I'm thinking he throws 2 ints (one at the end in garbage time) and we win 41-21.

And at a 63 point O/U (which strikes me as about right), I'd probably bet the over.

Last edited:
I think that UCLA overlooked Arizona and fell into a classic trap game. There is no doubt that they were looking ahead to the USC game and they still should have been up by 10 in the late third quarter if not for monumentally stupid play on their part. I don't put that much stock in the upset by the Wildcats.

I think that Ward has a career day, our d-line pressures JDL and we win 41-24. The second half against ASU wasn't great but we had outscored our competition 90-14 in the eight quarters prior to that. Arizona is going to move the ball on us but this game is going to be just as personal for our team as it is for JDL. He's pissed at the university for the way it handled Rolovich but most of our team undoubtedly views him as a turncoat who abandoned them in the bowl game.

It's personal and it could get ugly. The average score in our last five meetings is WSU 53 - UA 31 with WSU going 4-1 in that stretch. I don't know that we can outscore them by 22 points.....but we are going to have a good day on offense.

If Ward continues his antics from the second half of the AzSt game, then we will be down at least 2 TDs by halftime. Insert Mateer for at least two drives and if he shows that he can ball out, then sit Ward's behind for the rest of the game.
I'm not really hating on Ward. He's had some awesome in him. I think De Lara is/was better.

Besides the defense stepping up, I'm giving the win to the team with the "smarter" offense. That goes for both coaches and players.

Whatever team has the most rushing yards wins.

I'm interested to see how our DL approaches JDLs scrambling ability. If we do what UCLA did and rush him without any 2nd level help, he'll do a lot of damage. If our defensive ends have discipline and keep him in the pocket with Henley serving as a late rush/spy, we'll force him into mistakes.

I'm interested to see how our DL approaches JDLs scrambling ability. If we do what UCLA did and rush him without any 2nd level help, he'll do a lot of damage. If our defensive ends have discipline and keep him in the pocket with Henley serving as a late rush/spy, we'll force him into mistakes.
I think that's the key to the game. If we let him scramble and move, our secondary will let receivers get open. If we can keep him in the middle of the field and bring edge pressure, we'll force mistakes.

And of course we know that if we hit him hard a few times in the first half, he'll quit at halftime.

I could see anything happening in this one with the JdL motivation factor, playing down in Arizona not being easy historically, our offense's ability to turn into a production-free screen machine at any time, on the one hand, and the WSU defense's ability to get takeaways and negative plays, on the other, along with the offense being capable of performing better than it has. I could see Arizona winning 42-17 and the Cougs winning 31-24 or something like that.

We know JdL will be talking smack and doing crap like late slides to draw penalties and otherwise trying to be a little shit. Can't let that lead to undisciplined play. Hope we can hit him a few times early to set the tone. I hope JdL's motivation results in him being too amped up, overthrowing guys, taking risks, and making mistakes. Gut says this is something like a 31-24 Arizona win, unfortunately, where there are missed opportunities, questionable penalties, mistakes, and other frustrating aspects.

Reactions: 79COUG
I don’t like this matchup for a number of reasons. Road game. JDL factor etc.
However, we play well against opponents that are somewhat one dimensional and UA is going to be slinging it.

Coug DB’s are up to the challenge and the pass rushers get just enough pressure

27-20. Cougs
34-24 Cougs

Glad I did not bet the over. Their O was either AWOL or determined to give away the game. Ours took a second half vacation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT