ADVERTISEMENT

Prime time to Colorado

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
CU has announced they’ve hired Deion Sanders as their HC. No word yet on what staff he’s bringing. Jackson state to CU is a big step, but it’s definitely a splash hire….and it’s not like they could do much worse than their last few picks.

I have no doubt he will get his share of talent. Or that he can motivate. Can he actually coach football? Can he run a multimillion dollar organization? How does the meet and greet with the ranch owner boosters go? How does he do when he walks into a program that won’t do what it takes to win and he rubs people the wrong way?

He could win. He could get fired and run out of town.

Reactions: 250vertical
I think he’ll be a huge problem for USC and Oregon on the recruiting trail. I see him having the Buffs playing in the conference championship in 2 years and then leaving for the SEC.

I think he’ll be a huge problem for USC and Oregon on the recruiting trail. I see him having the Buffs playing in the conference championship in 2 years and then leaving for the SEC.
I think it depends on the assistant coach quality he can attract.

I have no doubt he will get his share of talent. Or that he can motivate. Can he actually coach football? Can he run a multimillion dollar organization? How does the meet and greet with the ranch owner boosters go? How does he do when he walks into a program that won’t do what it takes to win and he rubs people the wrong way?

He could win. He could get fired and run out of town.
I read his resume on Wikipedia. Yes, he can run a multi million dollar organization. Yes, he can coach football.

He's had incredible success on vitally everything he's touched during his entire adult life. And incredible success is an understatement.

"He won two Super Bowl titles and made one World Series appearance in 1992, making him the only athlete to play in both a Super Bowl and a World Series.

Sanders is also the only athlete to suit up for two sports in the same day, suiting up for both the Atlanta Braves and the Atlanta Falcons."

Deion Sanders led Jackson State to a 33−2 record during the past two seasons.

This is great hire by CU. Maybe a phenomenal hire. Maybe the best thing that's ever happened to Colorado Football.

Last edited:
I read his resume on Wikipedia. Yes, he can run a multi million dollar organization. He's had incredible success on vitally everything he's touched during his entire adult life.

This is great hire by CU. May be a phenomenal hire.

And the blowback from the school? What happens when he walks in with ideas he wants done and the school says “nope. We dont do it that way here.”

There are some places that are bad because the infrastructure within the department is crap. It is filled with people that wont move, wont change, place hurdles and roadblocks for those that do, etc.

I believe he will acquire talent. Maybe he can run a multimillion dollar organization. But can he work with department and university staff that wont work with him? This isnt like starting your own school where you can punch people.

And the blowback from the school? What happens when he walks in with ideas he wants done and the school says “nope. We dont do it that way here.”

There are some places that are bad because the infrastructure within the department is crap. It is filled with people that wont move, wont change, place hurdles and roadblocks for those that do, etc.

I believe he will acquire talent. Maybe he can run a multimillion dollar organization. But can he work with department and university staff that wont work with him? This isnt like starting your own school where you can punch people.
He’s making up to $8M which I’d guess is twice as much as any football coach CU has paid previously. They will get out of his way much like WSU did with Leach…”Sandpit on the practice field? Where do you want us to put it”

If you're Colorado, once you've made the decision to hire a sports icon like DS, you're conceding that the football program is going to be managed differently than it's ever been. If they have University staff who aren't willing to be cooperative, then it's a fail on Colorado for hiring him in the first place.

I hear what you're saying, but even from afar, the risks/rewards with this hire are transparent. Will there be an administrative fit? Will there be a cultural fit? What's your next move in 2-3 years when the SEC & ACC programs come calling? These are all things that Colorado had to have addressed prior to extending the offer.

The Buffs have been to something like 2 bowl games in 15 years. At this point, Colorado is rolling the dice that Sanders will infuse their roster with talent, excite the fan base, and of course win some games. I don't think they considered a lot of risk scenarios. They're the worst program in the conference, so push your chips in. There's not a lot to lose.

Reactions: Coug90
This will either be the best thing to happen to Colorado or it will be a complete epic train wreck. Nothing in between.

Colorado at least now has some fire back into their program. If it fails, they're right where they are now. For Colorado to be successful, the admin is going to have to actually invest in football (again, like their B12 days). If they do that, Prime will likely be successful.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
This will either be the best thing to happen to Colorado or it will be a complete epic train wreck. Nothing in between.

Colorado at least now has some fire back into their program. If it fails, they're right where they are now. For Colorado to be successful, the admin is going to have to actually invest in football (again, like their B12 days). If they do that, Prime will likely be successful.

It will be interesting to see what happens at JSU. If there is a stampede for the door, that’s a problem.

It will be interesting to see what happens at JSU. If there is a stampede for the door, that’s a problem.
A problem for who? JSU or Colorado? I promise you nobody at Colorado gives two shits what problems JSU has post-Prime.

Then because your DION SANDERS, BELIEVABLE, THEN YOU THREATEN TO CRUCIFY COLORADO IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION, IF THEY DONT DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, AND THEN CRUCIFY THEM IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION IF THEY DONT DO WHAT YOU WANT.

This is DION PRIME TIME SANDERS.

He is a WINNER. He KNOWS HOW TO WIN.

HE AND YOUR COLLEGE WILL WIN IF YOU DO IT HIS WAY, AND DO WHAT HE TELLS YOU TO DO.

BECAUSE OF THAT IF DION SANDERS SAYS TO JUMP, THE COLLEGE SAYS HOW HIGH OR ELSE.

I'm sure that Dion SANDERS has made this clear to Colorado in his interview, and that it will go into his contract, and that he will go public, and or leave, if the college does not cooperate, fights him, doesnt let him do things his way.

In that way he is like MIKE LEACH.

Colorado agreed to that to win.

If Colorado fights him, doesn't do what he says, he goes public, leaves, maybe even sues for breach of contract.

If Dion SANDERS consistently loses(WONT HAPPEN(Dion will win), Colorado fires him.

Dion is LEACH X 1000 in it's HIS WAY OR THE HIGHWAY. AND THAT HE IS GOD COACH.

Because of that there won't be any problem as Dion at least semi consistently wins.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Then because your DION SANDERS, BELIEVABLE, THEN YOU THREATEN TO CRUCIFY COLORADO IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION, IF THEY DONT DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, AND THEN CRUCIFY THEM IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION IF THEY DONT DO WHAT YOU WANT.

This is DION PRIME TIME SANDERS.

He is a WINNER. He KNOWS HOW TO WIN.

HE AND YOUR COLLEGE WILL WIN IF YOU DO IT HIS WAY, AND DO WHAT HE TELLS YOU TO DO.

BECAUSE OF THAT IF DION SANDERS SAYS TO JUMP, THE COLLEGE SAYS HOW HIGH OR ELSE.

I'm sure that Dion SANDERS has made this clear to Colorado in his interview, and that it will go into his contract, and that he will go public, and or leave, if the college does not cooperate, fights him, doesnt let him do things his way.

In that way he is like MIKE LEACH.

Colorado agreed to that to win.

If Colorado fights him, doesn't do what he says, he goes public, leaves, maybe even sues for breach of contract.

If Dion SANDERS consistently loses(WONT HAPPEN(Dion will win), Colorado fires him.

Dion is LEACH X 1000 in it's HIS WAY OR THE HIGHWAY. AND THAT HE IS GOD COACH.

Because of that there won't be any problem as Dion at least semi consistently wins.

Another Example.

Does anyone, any College, Alabama, say no to SABAN?

Dion SANDERS is a SABAN. HE IS THAT BIG TIME, AND HAS THAT KIND OF CREDIBILITY, POWER, ETC.

If a college fights Saban, he Saban would leave, go public, sue for breach of contract, etc.

It would be bad form for him publicly to tell them otherwise.

If he wanted to take the players with him, he could JUST NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT HOW THEY SHOULD STAY PUT.

And NOT saying to STAY PUT, is NOT, would NOT be the same as saying to go with him.

If he really wanted the players to NOT stay put and instead follow, go with him, he could have just NOT said to STAY PUT, and then in private ask them to go with him, instead.

Why tell them to Stay Put and risk them not going with him?

Maybe plausible deniability.

But probably the reason why he told them to stay put, is either he doesn't think any are good enough for him to take, or he really thinks that altho some good enough to take, that he thinks the best thing for them, Jackson State, is for them to Stay Put.

But Nah, let's just think the worst about Dion SANDERS intentions, without any proof, instead of taking him at his word of telling them to stay put.

The portal will be full of CU players this week. Watch his team meeting video where he tells them to leave.

He’d better hope it’s an open 85 this year cause he could have 30 dudes on scholarship in the fall.

The portal will be full of CU players this week. Watch his team meeting video where he tells them to leave.

He’d better hope it’s an open 85 this year cause he could have 30 dudes on scholarship in the fall.

Good, with DC, DLC Cooper, Travion, others leaving, maybe some of those CU players in the Portal will be worth getting, and will goto WSU.

$5.9 million per season and $5 million for his staff.. as stated they want to win.

With that kind of money that they are paying him, they expect, demand he start winning VERY SOON, and they are understanding that they are paying Saban ESQUE like money to a theoretical Saban type, and that they are giving him Saban like POWER, AUTHORITY, and that DION gets to do things HIS WAY, that when, if he Dion tells them to Jump, they CU college ask HOW HIGH, and that it's Dion way or the Highway.

Of course with that, IF DION doesn't start winning VERY SOON, they will FIRE him.

And as long as he Dion wins, he isn't going anywhere else, not with him getting Paid Saban level money.

CU, has just screamed with this hiring at this pay level that they are joining the semi blue blood, semi Alabama type, trying to return to the old glorious CU of old by hiring a Saban level coach at Saban Level money.

While good for the Pac 12, not great for WSU, I think.

Telling them to jump in portal

I hope they all leave. Let him go 1-11 with 85 new guys.

What a f’ing asshole. He is a false prophet.

Wtf is this? Bear Bryant at A&M? Wtf are you gonna do to kids to run them off? Endanger their health by making them train until they collapse? Cause that is gonna make kids better players?

These kids have had bad instruction. Is it their fault? They didn’t hire the coaches. And now they have a punitive HC telling them positions have been decided and it’s time for them to transfer.

The ADs phone is ringing right now from parents.

If Dickert were smart he’d be all over Colorado recruiting giving those kids an option. Play for Prime Slime or play for Midwestern HC?

I hope they all leave. Let him go 1-11 with 85 new guys.

What a f’ing asshole. He is a false prophet.

Wtf is this? Bear Bryant at A&M? Wtf are you gonna do to kids to run them off? Endanger their health by making them train until they collapse? Cause that is gonna make kids better players?

These kids have had bad instruction. Is it their fault? They didn’t hire the coaches. And now they have a punitive HC telling them positions have been decided and it’s time for them to transfer.

The ADs phone is ringing right now from parents.

If Dickert were smart he’d be all over Colorado recruiting giving those kids an option. Play for Prime Slime or play for Midwestern HC?
Would be curious to know Colorados scholarship policy. Could get messy over the next year. I’m no Deion fan, but if this is his plan anyways I don’t have a problem with him being up front about it. That said, if you are running kids out of town, use your connections and help them find a good landing spot at least. Doubt he will because he is a selfish a-hole no doubt.

What I hear is him telling them the world is about to be different and they need to accept it. Nobody’s job is safe, and if you’re not ready to work, GTFO.

And if there’s anyone on the CU roster that we want, I hope we’ve got an ear to the ground.

Reactions: mikalalas
A lot of people are assigning a lot of meaning to all of this. Maybe that will turn out to make sense. My thoughts, though:

- This doesn't mean much for Colorado other than a shock to the system to get it out of the mundane spiral it largely has been for 20 years. It's not joining the blue bloods or anything close. It's spending a few million more per year than it otherwise would have for a celebrity coach who will get publicity and recruits for as long as he's around, which will likely be only a few years one way or the other.

Colorado has been getting passed over by candidates for a few years now when it was offering what everyone else did. It finally decided to shock the system.

Maybe it will find some way to take whatever he does there and turn it into something at least more interesting than what it has been, but there's the potential for a messy transition from him even if he succeeds there, and if he doesn't, it could be even worse.

- It gets a little fuzzy with whatever you think of "Prime Academy," but he only became a high school coordinator --- not even the head guy -- at his sons' high school in 2017. He was named coach at Jackson State in 2020, went 4-3, and then had a couple good years in the SWAC with talent advantages. Perhaps he is an incredible coach, but he doesn't have a lot of experience, to put it mildly, and based on every clip I've seen of him speaking, he doesn't seem like a genius. He's going to have a lot of talent coming in the door, though.

I'm glad he's in the Pac-12 generally, and it should be interesting, but it's not great for WSU other than in the most oblique sense.

They just signed a 5* WR rated as one of the best in the Nation. Kid turned down Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State.

Which defenses on the West coast are going to be able to line up against that type of talent in 2 years?

They just signed a 5* WR rated as one of the best in the Nation. Kid turned down Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State.

Which defenses on the West coast are going to be able to line up against that type of talent in 2 years?
We will see. Is it all charisma and personality that is getting a 5 star kid to turn down Bama etc?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT