ADVERTISEMENT

Pullman PD at it again

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
Video of former WSU DB Treshon Broughton being arrested.

This feels a bit...excessive for a guy being accused of paying with a fake 20.

...that was hard to watch. that being said, the potential crime doesn't change leo protocol. If an officer requests for a person to submit, you must do so. From what I can see, TB didn't submit, so the situation escalated.

Wow. It does seem kind of excessive for paying with a fake $20. The thing is, did he even know it was fake when he was trying to use the twenty? We have all seen the person behind the counter mark it with a pen to see if it was fake. He may not have known.

It seems to me they knew who he was. They could have taken the evidence and done more investigation before going to the extreme measure that they did. Then, if he was guilty they could have arrested him later.

Reactions: mikalalas
...that was hard to watch. that being said, the potential crime doesn't change leo protocol. If an officer requests for a person to submit, you must do so. From what I can see, TB didn't submit, so the situation escalated.
They love to use their arrest and subdue techniques, so if you give them any reason at all, they’re going to apply them.

True, but why did the police ask for him to submit? Take the evidence and do an investigation. Broughton could have been a victim himself of someone passing a fake $20 to him.

Yep, didn’t follow police directives and resisted. Not very smart of him.

Yep, didn’t follow police directives and resisted. Not very smart of him.
Two things can be true. Yes, he should have followed the instructions by the police. However, the police are the trained professionals here. Instead of de-escalating the situation, they did things to escalate the situation.

This was not a situation where lives were in danger. They had time on their side. Again, Broughton could be a victim as well.

Knowing how aggressive Pullman police are, I do not give them the benefit of doubt.

Two things can be true. Yes, he should have followed the instructions by the police. However, the police are the trained professionals here. Instead of de-escalating the situation, they did things to escalate the situation.

This was not a situation where lives were in danger. They had time on their side. Again, Broughton could be a victim as well.

Knowing how aggressive Pullman police are, I do not give them the benefit of doubt.
Can’t say I disagree, but these situations always end up bad for the person not wearing the uniform. Best thing to do is do what they say, then go get a lawyer afterwards and sue the PD for unlawful detainment...maybe walk away with 25-30k at the their expense. That happens enough times they might reconsider their cops’ use of force.

Yeah I’m not a fan of how Pullman police have handled things in the past, but if you are going to resist a police officer cant feel too sorry for you if they give you a little WWF action. Especially when you are dealing with a couple of Starsky and Hutch wannabes.

Two things I see:
Officer went hands-on too quickly. Physical contact is first made before he even asks for ID. Just a hand on the elbow, but it’s physical contact, which can be perceived as threatening in a tense situation. Second, he gave very little time for him to produce his ID. I can’t see what he was doing at the counter, but it looked like some sort of interaction was already taking place that TB was trying to complete. Then he grabs his arm without further instruction, which just about anyone is going to reflexively resist, and the cop uses that as justification for calling for backup. Goes downhill from there.

TB shares blame, for not complying with the request for ID and then resisting even when he knew he was facing cops. But nobody did anything to de-escalate the situation.

I typically side with cops in things like this. In this situation, Nobody was right, but cops made more mistakes.

Just another example of police not understanding that a badge doesn't make it right to assault another human being. Broughton should have complied, but giving the guy a chance to show his ID might have given everyone time to chill out and slow things down. I know that being a cop isn't an easy job, but too often, they make the job harder. The people of Pullman should be disappointed by the amateur tactics of the cops here. The weakass chokehold and the knee to the nuts are undoubtedly hallmarks of their training.

Reactions: walzuu
There was no fake $20 bill. They never found a fake bill. That makes it even worse. After finding out what a 14 year sergeant did, the proceeding coverup, we should disband and re-hire a completely new force.

You comply so the cop can proceed to sexually assault you, right?

Not directed at you, but the PPD has some serious problems.

BS it didn’t need to be escalated to that .

Well I agree with pretty much everyone who thinks the cops were wrong. Of course he didn't know it was a fake 20. Ya think he's printing them up in his basement? And is it true that they found no 20?

Typical punk cop, get's physical. With that line of people, no real reason to believe he knew it was fake, they should have just said "finish your transaction then come over here and let's look at the situation". The second cop with his hammerlock and subsequent apparent kick and punch - yeah good police work.

Did you see this?
Jammed his toilet with his cell phone? Why?
Why would he do this?
"Broughton was booked into jail on charges of resisting arrest and obstructing law enforcement, both gross misdemeanors. There, officers reported, he began yelling and kicking his cell door, stripped down to his underwear and jammed the toilet to flood his cell, and was twice placed into a restraint chair."
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/05/former-cougars-cornerback-accuses-pullman-police-o/

Well I agree with pretty much everyone who thinks the cops were wrong. Of course he didn't know it was a fake 20. Ya think he's printing them up in his basement? And is it true that they found no 20?

Typical punk cop, get's physical. With that line of people, no real reason to believe he knew it was fake, they should have just said "finish your transaction then come over here and let's look at the situation". The second cop with his hammerlock and subsequent apparent kick and punch - yeah good police work.

People, there was no evidence of a fake $20 bill. They had nothing, no reason for the takedown. Still wish TB would have just let them cuff him, but he was innocent.

People, there was no evidence of a fake $20 bill. They had nothing, no reason for the takedown. Still wish TB would have just let them cuff him, but he was innocent.

Read the article that M-I posted. Hell I thought this happened like last weekend. Even worse for PPD, as it falls into the time frame of all their other misdeeds. Yep, Police Chief needs to be fired. I always thought he was a little bit red, and had some similar issues in his old place as I recall. Although I should not say that without looking it up.

Anyway, per the article the store basically said "never mind" in the call, cops showed up anyway. All the more reason for them to stand back and talk after Broughton was done. NO reason to grab him and cuff him.

Read the article that M-I posted. Hell I thought this happened like last weekend. Even worse for PPD, as it falls into the time frame of all their other misdeeds. Yep, Police Chief needs to be fired. I always thought he was a little bit red, and had some similar issues in his old place as I recall. Although I should not say that without looking it up.

Anyway, per the article the store basically said "never mind" in the call, cops showed up anyway. All the more reason for them to stand back and talk after Broughton was done. NO reason to grab him and cuff him.
The other interesting thing from this article is that his license ended up on the floor and was picked up by an officer. This implies to me that he had his ID out, and maybe was actually producing it when PPD went physical.

The video shows enough that seems inconsistent with PPD reports that the city attorney probably should be just negotiating a settlement. Too much risk in allowing this to go to trial.

The other interesting thing from this article is that his license ended up on the floor and was picked up by an officer. This implies to me that he had his ID out, and maybe was actually producing it when PPD went physical.

The video shows enough that seems inconsistent with PPD reports that the city attorney probably should be just negotiating a settlement. Too much risk in allowing this to go to trial.

Yep. But the city has hired a Spokane attorney, who will surely drag this through the courts forever to enhance his fees. When you have a video that shows the whole thing, and probably witness statements, how much court wrangling do you really need?

Precisely. Heads need to roll at the PPD, a cess pool of incompetence mixed with insane aggression and racism.

This is ridiculous. "Paying with a fake 20" that nobody can find?

I don't care if there IS a fake $20. You just tell them I'm sorry young man but we don't accept this or monopoly money. We have to shred this, please don't do this again. That is it. END of whatever incident that is.

Precisely. Heads need to roll at the PPD, a cess pool of incompetence mixed with insane aggression and racism.

Then there is this guy. 19 year PPD vet. A sergeant. 49 years old. She's 18. Standing outside her dorm drunk. How about taking her inside and calling her RA? No, let's take her to Reaney Park for a BJ.

"A WSP forensic scientist found semen on the sleeve of her clothing. On Aug. 14, the scientist found the DNA comparison showed a match between Hargraves’s DNA sample and the DNA found on the sleeve."

How can an attorney stand in front of a judge and argue his case with that evidence?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/10/pullman-police-sgt-pleads-not-guilty/

Then there is this guy. 19 year PPD vet. A sergeant. 49 years old. She's 18. Standing outside her dorm drunk. How about taking her inside and calling her RA? No, let's take her to Reaney Park for a BJ.

"A WSP forensic scientist found semen on the sleeve of her clothing. On Aug. 14, the scientist found the DNA comparison showed a match between Hargraves’s DNA sample and the DNA found on the sleeve."

How can an attorney stand in front of a judge and argue his case with that evidence?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/10/pullman-police-sgt-pleads-not-guilty/

This wasn’t his first time. Worst yet, they tried to cover it up and make it go away. Fire all of them!!!

One of PPD's finest... . Wonder if he's gotten away with such a thing before.

Did you see this?
Jammed his toilet with his cell phone? Why?
Why would he do this?
"Broughton was booked into jail on charges of resisting arrest and obstructing law enforcement, both gross misdemeanors. There, officers reported, he began yelling and kicking his cell door, stripped down to his underwear and jammed the toilet to flood his cell, and was twice placed into a restraint chair."
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/05/former-cougars-cornerback-accuses-pullman-police-o/

It says he jammed the toilet- probably with his clothes.

I thought that was his credit/debit card.

This is ridiculous. "Paying with a fake 20" that nobody can find?

I don't care if there IS a fake $20. You just tell them I'm sorry young man but we don't accept this or monopoly money. We have to shred this, please don't do this again. That is it. END of whatever incident that is.

These same officers were probably called away from an important surveillance in which they were illegally peeping through a student-athlete's bedroom window after they somehow smelled marijuana while cruising by on the street...

Dont know where to start...

I have been stopped, detained, harrassed, searched, etc by cops, economically profiling me. I will go over a few incidents as well.

In my run ins with cops, I comply show my ID, let them arrest, etc, even tho they in wrong.

So lets start with a breakdown of what happened.

1. The store clerk after identifying that it a suspected fake 20, should stop the transaction, take back, put back up items, ask for alternative payment, etc.

A. After that they should not have called police until after done with customer. Or unless suspect customer.

I have accidently passed a bad 20, and they didnt call police on me, and I wasnt treated that way.

B. They were right to tell the police to not to come.

C. The police were wrong to come anyways despite being told to not to come by store.

2. Then when the police showed up.

A. The police were within their rights to ask Treshon to show ID.

B. Treshon is not required by law to show ID

C. Police cannot legally arrest only just because ID is not showed to them.

3. Once Police WRONGFULLY AND ILLEGALLY STARTED TO ARREST Treshon, Treshon SHOULD NOT HAVE RESISTED ARREST.

Treshon should have put his arms up., let police cuff, arrest him.

4. Altho police were technically within their rights to do what they did, they technically werent because:

A. They were illegally arresting Treshon

B. They should have deescalated, tried to talk him into cooperating.

C. There is no need for 3 to 9 cops to use tazers, punch, kick, beat up, etc, a unarmed man to arrest a unarmed man unless they are a weak pathetic pussy, with no martial arts training.

If 1 unarmed man can kick ass, beat up 1 to 4 cops, those cops are in the wrong line of work.

D. Treshon altho technically resisting arrest, was not using VIOLENCE against cops.

E. Cops do not have the legal right to use VIOLENCE against a UNARMED person, unless that person is either using VIOLENCE, or a legit danger, threat to himself, another person, cops, etc.

5. Everybody was WRONG, the store clerk, Treshon, cops.

Incidents I have been in:

1. At Library doing family history research. A casual acquaintence fell asleep reading. Police were not called. Protocol of warning person to wake up, then ask to leave, then call security, then call cops last, was not followed. Instead Cops USURPED library Authority, showed up when not called. Told the sleeping person they were going to arrest her for breaking library rules, sleeping, breaking public nuisance law by sleeping. Called her a black N word homeless bum.

I asked why they were harrassing her. They said they didnt have to say why.

I asked for their name. They said they didnt have to give it. I said law requires they identify themselves as cops, give name. They told me to shut up or I under arrest too. I said i shut up when they identify themselves as cops, give name. They arrested me. I didnt resist.

2. I was at apt laundry room doing late night laundry. Police knocked on door. I answered, had 3 guns pointed at my chest.

They accused me of trespassing. Told them to put down their guns. They yelled they were in charge, not me.

I told them I am unarmed. Told them not to draw point gun at me, anyone else unless they intend to use them against unarmed person.

Told them that I live there, as a tax payer, I am in charge.

Told them that if they kept up crap. My manager would talk to them, call their police chief, have them fired.

I used my key on laundry room door, apt door to show them I lived there. Then talk to Manager who ripped them verbally.

They left after they were put into place by me, manager.

3. I check my mail in Ponderosa in Spokane Valley.

I was wearing Shorts, T shirt, T shoes

I walked to STA bus stop to catch bus.

A cop with sheriff dept stopped me. Asked me to see ID. I gave ID. Cop checked it, didnt find anything, because law abiding citizen. gave it back to me. Searched me

Cop asked me why I was checking my own mail, what I was doing. I said I checked my mail, then grabbed my newspaper.

He called me a liar, accused me of stealing mail, kept on saying dont lie to me son, just like the rooster cartoon character.

He detained me for 30 minutes.

Finally i was tired enough, to the point where I told him, he could either arrest me, charge me with a crime, tell me the charge, or he could let me go, and that if he didnt arrest me, he must let me go, and that if he didnt arrest me, I was leaving.

I started to leave. He told me to stop, and that if I didnt he would tackle me. I stopped. I asked am I under arrest? He said no. I continued leaving.

Each time he said stop, but, threatened tackling me, I asked if under arrest, each time he said no, and each time I kept on walking away, until I was far enough away, and had completely left him.

Thanks to the jerk, I missed the bus.

I called the Sheriff dept. Filed a complaint against the cop.

The next day the Sherriff knocked on my door, asked to come in. I let him in. We talked. He the sherriff apologized in behalf of the cop, said the cop handled it wrong, that I handled it right, that I was right to file a complaint, and that he would train his cops better, and that if it happened again, he would fire the cop.

Not all cops are bad. Some are good.

But a lot of the cops in Spokane, and on the PPD, give the good cops a bad name.

Yes Treshon should have not resisted, but he Treshon is NOT trained, while the cops have supposedly been trained and should be able to handle, deal with the situation better.

Because of that I blame the cops. They are, were clearly in the wrong.

And they give a bad black eye to the pullman community, trample on peoples rights, hurt tourism, and makes recruiting that much harder.

The cops should be ashamed of themselves, and should be FIRED along with the Police Chief.

And Treshon should SUE.

After Treshon was locked up, what Treshon did while locked up was wrong.

I think the article says he tried to buy a lighter with the fake $20. I mean, all this police force for someone who essentially tried to shoplift a $2 lighter? Not a good look Pullman PD.

I found the cops comments, "You're under arrest for using a fake 20" almost comical. Like, wow, nice work Magnum PI.

I think the article says he tried to buy a lighter with the fake $20. I mean, all this police force for someone who essentially tried to shoplift a $2 lighter? Not a good look Pullman PD.

I found the cops comments, "You're under arrest for using a fake 20" almost comical. Like, wow, nice work Magnum PI.

At least they didn't offer to let him off if he gave them a BJ. Guess they weren't listening when their Sergeant trained them.

Note since I have moved away from Spokane into Lincoln County, I dont have any problems, incidents with bad cops, people, etc.

Never had a problem with Cops, in Moses Lake, In Seattle, in Dallas Texas, IN MY WHOLE LIFE FOR YEARS, UNTIL I LIVED IN SPOKANE.

Then I had like 7 to 40 incidents, being economically profiled, harrassed, etc, by bad Spokane Cops.

So I totally understand, dont like, cant stand, almost hate the BS crap that the bad pullman cops did, do to Treshon, others, and that bad cops in general do to people.

Totally need a Legal, undercover, civilian, non police force, with police powers to drive around in undercover police like cars to POLICE THE POLICE, and take video of, ticket, arrest, etc, any cop that breaks the law

Note since I have moved away from Spokane into Lincoln County, I dont have any problems, incidents with bad cops, people, etc.

Never had a problem with Cops, in Moses Lake, In Seattle, in Dallas Texas, IN MY WHOLE LIFE FOR YEARS, UNTIL I LIVED IN SPOKANE.

Then I had like 7 to 40 incidents, being economically profiled, harrassed, etc, by bad Spokane Cops.

So I totally understand, dont like, cant stand, almost hate the BS crap that the bad pullman cops did, do to Treshon, others, and that bad cops in general do to people.

Totally need a Legal, undercover, civilian, non police force, with police powers to drive around in undercover police like cars to POLICE THE POLICE, and take video of, ticket, arrest, etc, any cop that breaks the law

You've had 7 to 40 incidents of being harassed by cops?

I don't mean to make light of this, but the strength and conditioning program is obviously stellar. Broughton looks like he's half the size of both of those guys, and he's not really fight them- just not complying with their instructions. Had he really wanted to, he could have kicked their asses.

Reactions: mikalalas

Cause they totally had the fake $20 bill. It just mysteriously disappeared.

Reactions: walzuu and YakiCoug
You've had 7 to 40 incidents of being harassed by cops?

Dude you just dont get how bad the some bad cops in Spokane have been.

I was walking in Spokane. Saw a cop stop, search, pat down a about 16 to 19 year old kid.

The cop took the kids backpack, unzipped it. Poured out a tool kit, wrench, wratchet kit, set, into the deep grass. Then the cop left.

The kid couldnt find the bits, pieces in the deep grass. I helped the kid look but we couldnt find the pieces.

That was about a $10 to $200 kit that kid lost, because of the JERK COP, who should have to buy the kid a new kit, but wont have to because the pig cop got away with it.

I have been stopped, asked for my ID, searched Patted down, detained, harrassed while out walking, grocery shopping so many freaking times, by bsd, pig, cops, ECONOMICALLY PROFILING ME.

You won't understand, will probably question, mock, disagree, etc, because you probably have never been in situation, circumstances, where this crap happens, and probably will continue to not understand unless until this crap were to happen to you.

So you can just.......

An isolated incident here and there can be on the officer; it can also be on the training. People are people.

A continuous trend is on the leadership or lack thereof.

Hard to see it any other way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT