ADVERTISEMENT

Quick observations

cougarmike

All Conference
Nov 18, 2007
1. Loaded at receiver (duh)
2. Very thin at RB
3. Secondary looks bigger and more athletic.
4. Not impressed with QB play (Cooper did not look sharp)
5. Gunner Cruz looks like the real deal (hope he redshirts this year)
6. OLine has some hosses (just needs to gel as a unit)
7. Pass rush was impressive at times (#92 Rodgers and #30 Oguayo in particular)
8. Cougs will be competitive yet again

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Oguayo is a beast. Saw that guy on the field and he just looks different. He might be a breakout star in the PAC 12.

Seems like we are always worried about the D Line, but I like the way it’s shaping up this year.

Reactions: M-I-Coug and Cougzz
Oguayo is a beast. Saw that guy on the field and he just looks different. He might be a breakout star in the PAC 12.

Seems like we are always worried about the D Line, but I like the way it’s shaping up this year.

Luvu and Tago both had very good senior seasons. Oguayo may follow in their footsteps.

1. Loaded at receiver (duh)
2. Very thin at RB
3. Secondary looks bigger and more athletic.
4. Not impressed with QB play (Cooper did not look sharp)
5. Gunner Cruz looks like the real deal (hope he redshirts this year)
6. OLine has some hosses (just needs to gel as a unit)
7. Pass rush was impressive at times (#92 Rodgers and #30 Oguayo in particular)
8. Cougs will be competitive yet again

1) Agree completely. It's funny to think that a couple years ago we were complaining about a lack of quality depth at WR.
2) This is a year where it's good that Leach is not overly dependent on the running back position. I feel like a younger guy is going to step up and complement Borghi. Grateful to have a guy like Borghi who has the potential to be a Heisman darkhorse with the potential touches he could get. He won't win....but he could get some serious discussion.
3) Addition by subtraction
4) Very disappointed with Cooper's play. I'm a big fan.....but maybe he shouldn't have cut his hair off.
5) Cruz is gonna redshirt, but it's going to be interesting to see the battle between him and Cooper next year.
6) Not a lot of experienced depth on the OL....but every guy on the roster looks the part.
7) Agree that the pass rush looked pretty good at times.
8) It all comes down to QB play, but if someone steps up there, we are gonna be solid.

- QB play will only get better.
- OL can't be judged at this point; spring game divided the unit, and that is not a reasonable reflection of what they can do.
- I actually do not think we are thin at RB. I'd be using Markoff as the second back, mostly because it gives us another dimension. And Dubots looks like he will work into a second halfback option. We've never used more than 3 RB before, so I think we are good.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
1) Agree completely. It's funny to think that a couple years ago we were complaining about a lack of quality depth at WR.
2) This is a year where it's good that Leach is not overly dependent on the running back position. I feel like a younger guy is going to step up and complement Borghi. Grateful to have a guy like Borghi who has the potential to be a Heisman darkhorse with the potential touches he could get. He won't win....but he could get some serious discussion.
3) Addition by subtraction
4) Very disappointed with Cooper's play. I'm a big fan.....but maybe he shouldn't have cut his hair off.
5) Cruz is gonna redshirt, but it's going to be interesting to see the battle between him and Cooper next year.
6) Not a lot of experienced depth on the OL....but every guy on the roster looks the part.
7) Agree that the pass rush looked pretty good at times.
8) It all comes down to QB play, but if someone steps up there, we are gonna be solid.

Do you see a situation where Cooper will see a crowded QB room and make a decision similar to Bruggman?

Do you see a situation where Cooper will see a crowded QB room and make a decision similar to Bruggman?

It's way too early to predict anything about Cooper and Cruz. Realistically, there isn't anyone else on the roster for Cooper or Cruz to worry about next year except each other. Leach is going to have a legitimate, open competition for the job next year regardless. There's no reason for Cooper to think about leaving. Now, is it possible that Cooper bails after next season? Certainly.....but it's too early to make any prediction on that. Anyone who does make a prediction is just guessing.

It's way too early to predict anything about Cooper and Cruz. Realistically, there isn't anyone else on the roster for Cooper or Cruz to worry about next year except each other. Leach is going to have a legitimate, open competition for the job next year regardless. There's no reason for Cooper to think about leaving. Now, is it possible that Cooper bails after next season? Certainly.....but it's too early to make any prediction on that. Anyone who does make a prediction is just guessing.
Totally agree with Flatland. Cooper had an inconsistent day and that is all. We are lucky to have Cooper and Cruz competing for the future. This summer will be interesting to see who, if anyone, emerges out of five solid candidates. Work and get better and oh by the way there is a treasure trove of receivers to throw to whoever ends up doing the slinging. Go Cougs!

Cruz needs to work on his zip.....wr separation gets eatin up quick when he puts too much air on the ball. He is already pretty heavy....will be interesting to see how much more weight he puts on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT