ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment - time to get real

The Beavs and Cougs will hold tight for a few months, maybe all the way through the end of the year. Then we will start hearing rumors of "Pac-12 expansion" when the Beavs/Cougs have a better sense of the ACC situation (which is frankly the other realistic option in the near term).

If we do expand, I don't see a scenario where any of the current Big-12 schools crawl back to the new look Pac-12...like ever.

The only scenario in the future would be the Big-12 adding WSU or OSU (unlikely) or the ACC west idea taking shape at a later date.

The biggest homerun at this point is the ACC-west. Doesn't' mean it will happen, but that is the best play. WSU/OSU are the two best properties out there and if the ACC loses members, we are in a good position to get scooped up.
Ok. I don't share your opinion of the "ACC West" being feasible or desirable, but OK, it is an option.

Possible I'm reading too much into this, but on the WSU Presidential search FAQ page, there's a question asking what Schulz will be focused on during his last year. There are 4 items. The 4th one is:

Stabilizing Athletics: Ensuring WSU student-athletes play competitively on the West Coast securing our place in an ever-changing athletic environment. (my emphasis)

The literal read of this - and again, maybe I shouldn't take it so literally - is that we wouldn't be interested in an ACC option, and probably not even a Big 12 one. Unless someone puts together enough western teams to form a west coast division (which would look pretty similar to the Pac-10/12), I think this suggests we're looking MWC.

Well, this, and basically every bit of sensible analysis of anything that appears remotely likely.
I'll have to check that page out. I see it as referring to the affiliation agreements, which will run at least through his term even if we opt out of one or both. Those are indeed West Coast based (well Colorado, AF and Wyoming might get their maps out!). So he can cross that off as succeeded I guess, assuming that we can play competitively.

The Beavs and Cougs will hold tight for a few months, maybe all the way through the end of the year. Then we will start hearing rumors of "Pac-12 expansion" when the Beavs/Cougs have a better sense of the ACC situation (which is frankly the other realistic option in the near term).

If we do expand, I don't see a scenario where any of the current Big-12 schools crawl back to the new look Pac-12...like ever.

The only scenario in the future would be the Big-12 adding WSU or OSU (unlikely) or the ACC west idea taking shape at a later date.

The biggest homerun at this point is the ACC-west. Doesn't' mean it will happen, but that is the best play. WSU/OSU are the two best properties out there and if the ACC loses members, we are in a good position to get scooped up.

One question about the ACC-West. Does anyone know if Stanford and Cal really want to be in a conference with WSU or OSU? We all heard that Arizona in particular hated our guts. Curious to know if there are any rumors about Stanford and Cal.

I will say that I question the value of an ACC-West division regardless. The ACC right now is a 2nd tier conference in the football world with Clemson and FSU in their ranks. If they leave, what real value does a watered down ACC have? It's probably still our best option but if their value drops by 40% when those schools leave, it's very possible that an updated MWC agreement will be closer to equitable than it looks now.

I did have to look false dichotomy up. A bit of a blow to my all-knowing stature. I'll give you that one grudgingly. In 2023, 30 bowls had smaller (most of them much smaller) payouts than the Holiday Bowl. But no matter. It is a bowl that would be nice to keep in the Pac (not much chance but not zero IMHO).
With the expansion of the playoff, the bowls are losing even more stature. Preserving bowls is like preserving a berth in the NIT. There were 43 bowl games in 2023. They don't seem to be going away.

With the expansion of the playoff, the bowls are losing even more stature. Preserving bowls is like preserving a berth in the NIT. There were 43 bowl games in 2023. They don't seem to be going away.
Yeah, I shake my head at some of these. From $4M payouts to play in Yankee Stadium in winter to $22K to go to the Bahamas.

2024's post-season will be a strange one.

Stepping back a little from my MW reverse merger fixation, I would at least hope that we are talking and drawing up the possibilities. so we are ready if the time comes for whatever. Not just with the MW, but with the bowls, the ACC (barf). I see Jan 1 as a pretty important date. Recall that FUSC and FUCLA gave 2-year notices when they backstabbed us.

Yeah, I shake my head at some of these. From $4M payouts to play in Yankee Stadium in winter to $22K to go to the Bahamas.

2024's post-season will be a strange one.

Stepping back a little from my MW reverse merger fixation, I would at least hope that we are talking and drawing up the possibilities. so we are ready if the time comes for whatever. Not just with the MW, but with the bowls, the ACC (barf). I see Jan 1 as a pretty important date. Recall that FUSC and FUCLA gave 2-year notices when they backstabbed us.
Sept. 1st is an important date. That is when the Pac2 have to decide on the second year of the Scheduling Agreement and you have to pay us another $12 million dollars. We appreciate your money.

Sept. 1st is an important date. That is when the Pac2 have to decide on the second year of the Scheduling Agreement and you have to pay us another $12 million dollars. We appreciate your money.
Damn - didn't realize it was that soon.....

Edit - I'm not so sure about that Sept 1 2024 date. See below (from page 8 of the agreement), and link to the whole thing below that.

ARTICLE IV.TERM; TERMINATIONSection 4.01
Term
.(a)

Initial Term. The term of this Agreement shall commence upon the Effective Date and end on the earlier to occur of (i) the Outside Date, (ii) the termination of this Agreement pursuant to Section 4.02 or (iii) the mutual written agreement of the Parties to terminate this Agreement in its entirety (as applicable, the “Term”); provided, however, that all payment obligations of the Pac-12 Parties under this Agreement shall survive any such termination of this Agreement until satisfied in full but (A) in no event will a Participation Fee for an Event occurring after such termination be due if such termination occurs pursuant to Section 4.02(b)(i) or Section4.02(c) and (B) if such termination occurs pursuant to Section 4.02(b)(ii) then Participation Fees for an Event occurring after such termination may be an appropriate measure of damages but are not guaranteed as liquidated damages.(b)

Outside Date. For purposes of this Agreement, the “Outside Date” shall be August 1, 2025. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if MWC and Pac-12 mutually agree in a signed writing on or prior to September 1, 2024, the “Outside Date” may be extended to August 1, 2026

Last edited:

Edit - I'm not so sure about that Sept 1 2024 date. See below (from page 8 of the agreement), and link to the whole thing below that.

Term
.(a)

Initial Term. The term of this Agreement shall commence upon the Effective Date and end on the earlier to occur of (i) the Outside Date, (ii) the termination of this Agreement pursuant to Section 4.02 or (iii) the mutual written agreement of the Parties to terminate this Agreement in its entirety (as applicable, the “Term”); provided, however, that all payment obligations of the Pac-12 Parties under this Agreement shall survive any such termination of this Agreement until satisfied in full but (A) in no event will a Participation Fee for an Event occurring after such termination be due if such termination occurs pursuant to Section 4.02(b)(i) or Section4.02(c) and (B) if such termination occurs pursuant to Section 4.02(b)(ii) then Participation Fees for an Event occurring after such termination may be an appropriate measure of damages but are not guaranteed as liquidated damages.(b)

Outside Date. For purposes of this Agreement, the “Outside Date” shall be August 1, 2025. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if MWC and Pac-12 mutually agree in a signed writing on or prior to September 1, 2024, the “Outside Date” may be extended to August 1, 2026
What this tells me is that the Pac-2 will have 27 days to create an arrangement. The Pac-12 deal ends on August 4, I believe. If WSU/OSU make any announcement that looks like "leaving the conference" before that date, the 10 traitors can come back with claims on the residuals. SO, we've got from August 4-31 to come to an agreement on something better than the MWC scheduling alignment.

All the talk about ACC west is pipe dreams. The strong odds say that it's only a matter of time until FSU and Clemson leave. Miami will be right behind them. Without those 3, the ACC has virtually no football value. It's a bunch of basketball schools that needed something to do in the fall. They might, in their desperation, try to create some sort of east-west alignment in order to survive, but the media value of that conference is unlikely to be worthwhile.

Term
.(a)

So, the term is one year unless the parties agree in writing to extend for an additional year.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel

Term
.(a)

Outside Date. For purposes of this Agreement, the “Outside Date” shall be August 1, 2025.

I interpret that to mean that the 1st year scheduling agreement will expire August 1, 2025. As it should because you've paid for a full season of football. And, it protects the MWC up to that date incase we need to apply those dreaded termination fees should the Pac2 decide to poach.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, if MWC and Pac-12 mutually agree in a signed writing on or prior to September 1, 2024, the “Outside Date” may be extended to August 1, 2026.

My interpretation on this is that this new "Outside Date" is the end of the 2nd year (08/01/26). And, this only applies if you've agreed to participate in a second year by signing on or prior to Sept. 1st of this year.

So, I see it that you have to sign or NOT on or prior to Sept. 1st 2024 for the 2nd year.

Outside Date. For purposes of this Agreement, the “Outside Date” shall be August 1, 2025.

I interpret that to mean that the 1st year scheduling agreement will expire August 1, 2025. As it should because you've paid for a full season of football. And, it protects the MWC up to that date incase we need to apply those dreaded termination fees should the Pac2 decide to poach.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, if MWC and Pac-12 mutually agree in a signed writing on or prior to September 1, 2024, the “Outside Date” may be extended to August 1, 2026.

My interpretation on this is that this new "Outside Date" is the end of the 2nd year (08/01/26). And, this only applies if you've agreed to participate in a second year by signing on or prior to Sept. 1st of this year.

So, I see it that you have to sign or NOT on or prior to Sept. 1st 2024 for the 2nd year.
Maybe so. Perhaps our resident attorney(s) will get bored and try to dissect this thing. if you are correct, that damn Gloria really put the screws to the Pac-2. Damn her all to hell. In any event, no doubt the powers that be have this interpreted.

That's my read. We have 3 months from today to decide if we're going to play an MWC schedule in 2025.

Cal and Furd panicked. The betrayal caught them as unaware as it caught us. They had more options, being in a larger market, but they still felt pressure to do SOMETHING RIGHT NOW and as a result, they took a really bad deal. With time to think, I suspect they agree with most of your logic.
The hell of it is, they did not 'take' a bad deal, they begged for it. Most of the ACC rejected them, and ND had to intervene to rescue their ass. SMU bought passage on the Titanic - after the iceberg hit. They might as well be writing a check to become a member of a conference where the top income earning schools are suing the conference, doing every thing possible to get out. The Big12 will wait to pick off the two to four of the best income producing schools left (after FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia depart), a selection that will not include Stanford or Cal or SMU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT