ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Scott says no thanks to ESPN.

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
It might be easy to place this on Scott's plate but we all need to recognize that the board, the chancellors and presidents, approved this.

The long term goal of holding onto the rights is a major thing. But that is where this discussion should be. For the Network to be in such a hard place, right now... does that change the goal of holding onto these rights? Benefits vs limitations.

Rights wont and dont do any good if cant distribute effectively.

WSU, PAC 12, holding onto rights wont, dont do PAC 12, WSU any good, because WSU, PAC 12 is not able to distribute effectively.

If I was Scott, I would have countered with ESPN holding rights until 2026, 2027, 2028, 7,8,9 more years, in exchange ESPN not only distributes Pac 12 network, but gives Pac 12 network distribution, preferential treatment over the other conference networks, in terms of always getting the best, better packaging, distribution, sports, time slots, etc.

What that would mean is, instead of the SEC, getting best, top billing, viewership, etc, instead you turn on the TV and see Pac 12 coverage over SEC coverage, on ESPN, and ESPN affiliates, during all prime time coverage time slots.

Willing to bet ESPN would accept, do such a counter.

And that deal would not only be good for ESPN, but would be good for PAC 12, would get a lot of money, branding, recognition, recruiting help, etc.

Would at least be better then Pac 12 holding on to rights, instead of current ESPN deal extension, and not distributing, not making money, losing money, etc.

But hey even a 120 year old Great Grandma could do better then Scott, Presidents, AD's, Pac 12, etc, that responsible for this MESS

Last edited:
ESPN proposed to distribute Pac-12 networks in exchange for media rights. Devil is in the detail, but not a good headline.

As reported by Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand and Michael Smith, the Pac-12 turned down an offer from ESPN to distribute their networks in exchange for an extension of their rights agreement that would have given ESPN the Pac-12’s rights “well into the 2030s”.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...hts-extension/ar-BBVdaOZ?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

The numbers probably didn't work very well for the Pac-12. The article essentially says that ESPN was low balling. Of course, once of those numbers would have been getting rid of Scott and at least some of his underlings, private jets, fancy offices, etc., which I doubt Larry was excited about. Flying commercial is so un-Harvard like.

Overall, this is yet another big and bold sign that Scott's long-term play is not paying off.

Does anyone remember anything about the financials on keeping the rights to it all? As I recall, there was a longterm goal that would translate into a financial gain but it was longterm. I just don't recall the specifics. Anyone?

There is a reason everyone is trying to look to the horizon. The board, the sub-boards. There's a longterm goal for all of this. I just don't remember. And because I can't remember, I can't gauge whether or not it's worthy to go through all of this... I can't have an educated discussion on the topic without this specific knowledge. Any help would be great.

Does anyone remember anything about the financials on keeping the rights to it all? As I recall, there was a longterm goal that would translate into a financial gain but it was longterm. I just don't recall the specifics. Anyone?

There is a reason everyone is trying to look to the horizon. The board, the sub-boards. There's a longterm goal for all of this. I just don't remember. And because I can't remember, I can't gauge whether or not it's worthy to go through all of this... I can't have an educated discussion on the topic without this specific knowledge. Any help would be great.

The pac-12 retained the “digital distribution” rights, or something like that. I can’t recall the label, but it was basically internet streaming. Don’t recall the numbers, but I would consider anything you find on the interwebs suspect because they must have come from Larry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT