ADVERTISEMENT

Reported that PW gets another shot.

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
This time replacing Beau Baldwin. I thought he might join Baldwin at ASU.

I’m not sure how the California state retirement system works but a bump to head coach salary plus years of service in Cali may make for a much better retirement then spending a few years at ASU. And SLO>Phx

Cal Poly is preparing to break ground on a sweet $30M John Madden football center. Good timing for Wulff. With Baldwin going 4-21 in his 2+ seasons there, it isn't like he has big shoes to fill. Hope he does well.

John Madden Football Center

Beautiful area to recruit too. That, combined with the portal, could fill up a decent roster of talent to win there.

A guy who grew up around Davis should actually have some insight into recruiting to SLO. And SLO's unique qualities (not unlike Pullman in many ways) give it a leg up for recruiting a lot of kids here in Cali, where SLO is viewed very positively. I would not be surprised if he does fairly well. A lot of it will depend upon his assistants. That part remains to be seen. No idea if Baldwin will take any of the better people (if there are any) with him. On the other hand, SLO is a great place to which to attract assistants.

A guy who grew up around Davis should actually have some insight into recruiting to SLO. And SLO's unique qualities (not unlike Pullman in many ways) give it a leg up for recruiting a lot of kids here in Cali, where SLO is viewed very positively. I would not be surprised if he does fairly well. A lot of it will depend upon his assistants. That part remains to be seen. No idea if Baldwin will take any of the better people (if there are any) with him. On the other hand, SLO is a great place to which to attract assistants.

Wulff was ok at Eastern and I expect him to be ok at another lower tier school. He was in over his head at WSU, but mostly because he felt that he needed to burn everything down first. Sounds like he's already at the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the playoffs in the future but I wouldn't bet on them ever being a great team with him at the helm.

In the End this will not go good for both of WULF, Cal Poly.

At BEST he would be a Doba that starts out good, because of the other coaches, the players Baldwin left, etc, and then 2,3,4,5 years later he only wins 1,2,3,4 games.

Also WULF and Sturdy, and others DID NOT DO GOOD AT SACRAMENTO ST. And once Sacramento St FLUSHED WULF, they went to the FCS play offs.

Poly and Wulf is going to be ANOTHER DUMPSTER FIRE, just like he was at WSU, Sacramento St, EVERY PLACE HE HAS BEEN AT except EWU.

This is NOT going to be any different.

WULF has had his 2nd, 3rd, multiple chances at other places.

I believe in giving coaches, players extra chances, shots, letting them work their way back up again, but at some point, you got to recognize that you can't risk wrecking your program by giving YET ANOTHER FAILED CHANCE to a another WULF.

Some people just DO NOT LEARN, both WULF, and the DUMB people who hired him as the HC at Poly.

Hope I am wrong, but don't think I am.

Wish him the best, good luck to him. He is going to need it more then most.

Wulff was ok at Eastern and I expect him to be ok at another lower tier school. He was in over his head at WSU, but mostly because he felt that he needed to burn everything down first. Sounds like he's already at the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the playoffs in the future but I wouldn't bet on them ever being a great team with him at the helm.

Tell that to Sacramento St that he was HC at, had a 0,1,2 win DUMPSTER FIRE AT, and that Sacramento St went to the FCS play offs once they got rid of Wulf

He didn’t cause he took over another dumpster fire

And he not only did he take over dumpster fire Poly, but he turned Sacramento St into a dumpster fire, and then Sacramento St later went to FCS play offs, after they got rid of Wulf.

Tell that to Sacramento St that he was HC at, had a 0,1,2 win DUMPSTER FIRE AT, and that Sacramento St went to the FCS play offs once they got rid of Wulf

When was he head coach at Sacramento State?

He worked there when Jody Sears was head coach as the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. Given that their team gave up 41+ points in six of their last seven games in his last season there in 2018, I'm not sure how much of that fell on him.

In his time at Sac State, they went:

2016: 2-9
2017: 7-4
2018: 2-8

I'm not going to say that I expect big things from Wulff...but you need to double check your facts.

When was he head coach at Sacramento State?

He worked there when Jody Sears was head coach as the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. Given that their team gave up 41+ points in six of their last seven games in his last season there in 2018, I'm not sure how much of that fell on him.

In his time at Sac State, they went:

2016: 2-9
2017: 7-4
2018: 2-8

I'm not going to say that I expect big things from Wulff...but you need to double check your facts.

Ok so he was Assistant coach instead of HC, point is, being, EVERYTHING THAT WULF TOUCHES, except EWU, whether as HC, Position coach, Assistant coach, Coordinator, etc, TURNS BAD, INTO ANOTHER DUMPSTER FIRE.

Some would say, but he was not the head guy.

But assistant coaches, position coaches, coordinators, can cause their teams to lose, and if you can't help your team win as a assistant coach, coordinator, etc, then you probably won't be a good head coach either.

It would be one thing if he was successful at WSU, and was a good assistant, and was just unlucky to have a bad head coach, but it's a whole another different thing to be bad at WSU, and then do a bad job as a assistant at Sacramento St.

Such a coach will probably not be a good Head Coach, and probably should not make such a coach the head coach of your program.

It would be different if WULF had been a good head coach after Sacramento St.

But WULF didn't have even that going for him.

It is, was just a Terribly dumb, bad hire by Poly, who either probably didn't do their homework, or don't care, or are that desperate, can't get anybody else.

I haven't looked in a while, but the record of teams where Wulff has coached since he left EWU was hilarious at one point. Like he's got whatever the opposite of the Midas Touch is. I don't know why programs keep giving him a shot. I don't know a thing about Cal Poly, nor do I care, but I would expect a handful of 2 win seasons before they wonder why they ever hired the guy in the first place.

I haven't looked in a while, but the record of teams where Wulff has coached since he left EWU was hilarious at one point. Like he's got whatever the opposite of the Midas Touch is. I don't know why programs keep giving him a shot. I don't know a thing about Cal Poly, nor do I care, but I would expect a handful of 2 win seasons before they wonder why they ever hired the guy in the first place.

They hired him because they don’t care. They hired him because it was easy and familiar. They hired him because they don’t wanna spend any more $ and he will work for cheap.

Ok so he was Assistant coach instead of HC, point is, being, EVERYTHING THAT WULF TOUCHES, except EWU, whether as HC, Position coach, Assistant coach, Coordinator, etc, TURNS BAD, INTO ANOTHER DUMPSTER FIRE.

Don't forget Mik that CPW also was the offensive coordinator for the U.S. team that won the 2015 IFAF World Championship in Canton, Ohio.

His offense put up 59 points in the championship game against Japan!

Team USA demolishes Japan

• Haha
Reactions: justinbgocougs
They hired him because they don’t care. They hired him because it was easy and familiar. They hired him because they don’t wanna spend any more $ and he will work for cheap.
I think a lot of AD's are going to get to that point to be honest.

NIL and we lose players. People leave at halftime of close game, our season tix have remained the same whether a rose Bowl year or not. If you get TV money does it really matter?

Wulff was ok at Eastern and I expect him to be ok at another lower tier school. He was in over his head at WSU, but mostly because he felt that he needed to burn everything down first

Flat:

Who inherited the better roster

Wulff from Doba in 2008?

or

Leach from Wulff in 2011?

People leave at halftime of close game

From what they showed on TV, the stadium seemed packed from start to finish for the Oregon and Washington games.

Don't know how the fans can be blamed for those two games?

Don't forget Mik that CPW also was the offensive coordinator for the U.S. team that won the 2015 IFAF World Championship in Canton, Ohio.

His offense put up 59 points in the championship game against Japan!

Team USA demolishes Japan

That's AKIN to making WULF the OC at Alabama. My Grandma who is dead could have done that while alive.

It's easy to do that when you have 5 star EQUIVALENT talent.

EVEN A SQUIRREL, CHIPMUNK FINDS THE OCCASIONAL NUT

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD.

Remember WULF's offense against Idaho St looked world killer at 64 points.

That's AKIN to making WULF the OC at Alabama. My Grandma who is dead could have done that while alive.

It's easy to do that when you have 5 star EQUIVALENT talent.

EVEN A SQUIRREL, CHIPMUNK FINDS THE OCCASIONAL NUT

THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD.

Remember WULF's offense against Idaho St looked world killer at 64 points.

85% of what WULF TOUCHES has or probably will go bad.

If I am a AD, I wouldn't touch him with a 100,000 foot pole, let alone hire him as the team water boy, let alone the HC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT