ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: Jason Gesser has resigned (New thread to discuss)

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Per the Seattle Times, he texted this to them: "I am deeply saddened that recent circumstances in my private life have created a distraction for the Department and University. While I certainly never intended to hurt anyone, I believe it is best for all involved for me to move on. . .I apologize to each of you for creating a situation that reflected negatively on WSU in any way . .To the young woman that I made feel uncomfortable, I respectfully have a different recollection of the situation you’ve described, but acknowledge that I should never have been in the situation in the first place, and I apologize. I truly never meant to cause you harm."

WSU put out this statement a short time ago: "Late this afternoon, Washington State University received a letter of resignation from Jason Gesser, following the complaint shared with the Office for Equal Opportunity on Monday. The University has accepted Mr. Gesser’s resignation effective immediately. We sincerely appreciate the courage it takes for individuals to come forward with concerns of this nature. We take the allegations extremely seriously, and the Office for Equal Opportunity intends to continue its investigation."

Gesser had been as Assistant AD and was a key fundraiser for the ath. dept.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the only way this could go.
For Gesser, it's the fastest way to get it out of the news cycle. From the allegations so far, nobody's going to prosecute. He's no longer obligated to talk to the OEO investigator (or anyone else).
The university salvages something, in that they're no longer "protecting" him in the eyes of the accusers. In the eyes of donors who liked him, the university didn't run him out (at least not publicly). The investigation no longer has to be a high priority, because nobody has to talk to them, and because unless they find something truly criminal the investigation doesn't really have an outcome...because none of the players are still under WSU's authority. The only question left to resolve is, how long is Gesser's penance?

Any bets on whether he's edited out of the video before the Utah game?

Good riddance. I loved watching him play. But. he did the right thing by going away.

You bet he'll be edited out of the video. That'll take a couple hours. No biggie. We have Ryan Leaf back into the fold so I see a couple highlights from him being placed in. We have Falk to put in. There's got to be something of the Throwin' Samoan. It was the Rose Bowls that made those highlights onto the video. Now, we'll move on.

Per the Seattle Times, he texted this to them: "I am deeply saddened that recent circumstances in my private life have created a distraction for the Department and University. While I certainly never intended to hurt anyone, I believe it is best for all involved for me to move on. . .I apologize to each of you for creating a situation that reflected negatively on WSU in any way . .To the young woman that I made feel uncomfortable, I respectfully have a different recollection of the situation you’ve described, but acknowledge that I should never have been in the situation in the first place, and I apologize. I truly never meant to cause you harm."

WSU put out this statement a short time ago: "Late this afternoon, Washington State University received a letter of resignation from Jason Gesser, following the complaint shared with the Office for Equal Opportunity on Monday. The University has accepted Mr. Gesser’s resignation effective immediately. We sincerely appreciate the courage it takes for individuals to come forward with concerns of this nature. We take the allegations extremely seriously, and the Office for Equal Opportunity intends to continue its investigation."

Gesser had been as Assistant AD and was a key fundraiser for the ath. dept.

Jason Gesser had a lifetime appointment with the athletic department. He had that personality that people would gravitate to. He had earned something special among WSU faithful. I always wondered why Leach never approached him for some position on the staff. And maybe his decision making might have been a reason.

It is a sad chapter for many reasons. One, you learn a lot about people. Some on this board even. They worry about how he will make a living. In time he will land on his feet. Really, he needs to sell weed to make a go of it? He isn't the frickin victim. he made horrible choices. Yeah, he screwed the pooch. He was a lifer at WSU. All he had to do is not embarrass the university in his private life.

I know many say it wasn't on the job. Who cares. "Money never sleeps". He is always on the job when he works in the public arena. Always. A CEO for a publicly traded company can't behave in this manner. It is no different than Gesser.

The other sad event is Jack Thompson's first reaction is to hide it, make it go away. His reputation just took a hit as well.

Something that was said on the board, and it goes to what people think is the over reaching arm of the "me too" movement. Yeah, when pendulums swing they don't go right to the middle at first. People have to be way more careful than they use to. It is the new normal.

And to the twit that said "good for Gesser" this is not a frat Gesser is still a member of. He is 39 with a family. These 23ish year old's are someone's daughters. You really think when Gessers daughter is 22 he would be overly pleased with a drunk 39 year old trying to get down her pants?

I have zero sympathy for Gesser. He has a family at home that one would think would keep him from being out til 4 in the morn. And as a moral as this may sound, go somewhere that everything will be kept private. Either pay a professional or have a fling with a woman that has more to lose than you. But to be Ken Green-like is distasteful

And for the cavalier attitude about "me too" and what is the big deal. I know several woman who were date raped, grouped, and anything between those two unwanted advances. It is life changing. They view sex way different than it was meant to be. Violence for some, aggressiveness for others. Clearly just in this case it made a huge impact on the former nanny. And if Brent Kavanaughs accuser is being truthful she is still seeing a therapist about it 30 years later. For some, that i show life changing it can be.

But there are great lessons to be learned. One, stay in your own lane. If you have a problem with drinking or you have a friend that you have covered for, all you are doing is pushing the can down the road.

And there is a lesson for my own daughters that I plan to share with them when appropriate. Be strong, and when there was a hint of inappropriateness like there was in the car, under no circumstances let them in their apartment. Nothing good will come from it, even if you "hope" this person comes to their senses. And if a case ever went to the courts similar to the Gesser case, defense attorneys would have a hay day with the decision that was made to let them in after advances were rejected. Opens up a whole different can of worms.

Jason Gesser had a lifetime appointment with the athletic department. He had that personality that people would gravitate to. He had earned something special among WSU faithful. I always wondered why Leach never approached him for some position on the staff. And maybe his decision making might have been a reason.

It is a sad chapter for many reasons. One, you learn a lot about people. Some on this board even. They worry about how he will make a living. In time he will land on his feet. Really, he needs to sell weed to make a go of it? He isn't the frickin victim. he made horrible choices. Yeah, he screwed the pooch. He was a lifer at WSU. All he had to do is not embarrass the university in his private life.

I know many say it wasn't on the job. Who cares. "Money never sleeps". He is always on the job when he works in the public arena. Always. A CEO for a publicly traded company can't behave in this manner. It is no different than Gesser.

The other sad event is Jack Thompson's first reaction is to hide it, make it go away. His reputation just took a hit as well.

Something that was said on the board, and it goes to what people think is the over reaching arm of the "me too" movement. Yeah, when pendulums swing they don't go right to the middle at first. People have to be way more careful than they use to. It is the new normal.

And to the twit that said "good for Gesser" this is not a frat Gesser is still a member of. He is 39 with a family. These 23ish year old's are someone's daughters. You really think when Gessers daughter is 22 he would be overly pleased with a drunk 39 year old trying to get down her pants?

I have zero sympathy for Gesser. He has a family at home that one would think would keep him from being out til 4 in the morn. And as a moral as this may sound, go somewhere that everything will be kept private. Either pay a professional or have a fling with a woman that has more to lose than you. But to be Ken Green-like is distasteful

And for the cavalier attitude about "me too" and what is the big deal. I know several woman who were date raped, grouped, and anything between those two unwanted advances. It is life changing. They view sex way different than it was meant to be. Violence for some, aggressiveness for others. Clearly just in this case it made a huge impact on the former nanny. And if Brent Kavanaughs accuser is being truthful she is still seeing a therapist about it 30 years later. For some, that i show life changing it can be.

But there are great lessons to be learned. One, stay in your own lane. If you have a problem with drinking or you have a friend that you have covered for, all you are doing is pushing the can down the road.

And there is a lesson for my own daughters that I plan to share with them when appropriate. Be strong, and when there was a hint of inappropriateness like there was in the car, under no circumstances let them in their apartment. Nothing good will come from it, even if you "hope" this person comes to their senses. And if a case ever went to the courts similar to the Gesser case, defense attorneys would have a hay day with the decision that was made to let them in after advances were rejected. Opens up a whole different can of worms.

Anyone condemning Kavanaugh for what he did (we don't know he is guilty as alleged either) as a CHILD...when his entire life's adult work has been above reproach and stellar (as it has been) is pathetic and despicable. Seriously.

God help us all if society holds any of us responsible through our entire adult life for a bad decision made in our pre-adult years (again...assuming Kavanaugh did what he was accused of doing...which is doubtful in my view). That is the worse form of religious fanaticism and fundamentalism to allow no redemption for bad behavior made as a child/pre-adult.

Anyone condemning Kavanaugh for what he did (we don't know he is guilty as alleged either) as a CHILD...when his entire life's adult work has been above reproach and stellar (as it has been) is pathetic and despicable. Seriously.

God help us all if society holds any of us responsible through our entire adult life for a bad decision made in our pre-adult years (again...assuming Kavanaugh did what he was accused of doing...which is doubtful in my view). That is the worse form of religious fanaticism and fundamentalism to allow no redemption for bad behavior made as a child/pre-adult.

I don't know much about what really happened with Kavanaugh....but I'll say that when you are talking about the Supreme Court of the United States......I don't think we should pick anyone who has to say, "Yeah.....I did terrible things.....but it was a long time ago and I didn't get caught at the time." I think we should have higher standards than that. If he didn't do anything wrong as he says......well, then it really comes down to pure politics again. Ironically for the democrats....if they hadn't been stupid and changed the Senate rules.....they wouldn't have to worry about Kavanaugh because he will never get the 60 votes needed to get the nomination based on the old rules. The dumbasses have only themselves to blame.

How...I made no judgement other than to say IF it is true how it can affect a woman. Not sure how this is religious fanaticism and fundamentalism.

And why would you doubt it? I know of a good way to find out. Hook him up to a polygraph test and her as well and see how they do if people really want to find out the truth.

Don’t know that saying he shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court if he attempted to rape a girl is exactly condemning him.

Luke Heimlich approves of your perspective.

Don’t know that saying he shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court if he attempted to rape a girl is exactly condemning him.

He categorically denied the allegations. The other dude in the room also denied them. 66 people from his high school have forward in his defense, many of them women. Not one other instance of inappropriate behavior has surfaced about Kavanaugh throughout his career.

Maybe he is guilty. You can't completely dismiss it. With that said, there is absolutely nothing here to warrant that he should take a polygraph test. Good grief.

I'll say this. The precedent that's being set is going to be fun when our first openly gay male President or Supreme Court Nominee is front and center. Can you imagine the stories that'll surface?

He categorically denied the allegations. The other dude in the room also denied them. 66 people from his high school have forward in his defense, many of them women. Not one other instance of inappropriate behavior has surfaced about Kavanaugh throughout his career.

Maybe he is guilty. You can't completely dismiss it. With that said, there is absolutely nothing here to warrant that he should take a polygraph test. Good grief.

I'll say this. The precedent that's being set is going to be fun when our first openly gay male President or Supreme Court Nominee is front and center. Can you imagine the stories that'll surface?

The only thing that warrants it is the truth. In he said she said cases who do you think people are gonna believe 99% of the time? The guy who is a judge or some person who earned their doctorate.

She apparently passed her polygraph test. And he may too. One of them may have been so drunk they may not know what happened. And it could be the case where she remembers it incorrectly.

Life has taken me away from Coug football in the last few months so this is all news to me, but:
  1. I like that WSU has "accepted [Gesser's] resignation." What are the consequences for Gesser should they have chosen to decline it? He broadcasts from a crawlspace under Martin? Peels potatoes at the dining center? Cleans toilets at the rec center?
  2. I see every personality represented here on this issue: white knights, reactionaries, virtue signallers. We even have Kavanaugh brought up (obnoxiously). Granting that Gesser is a guilty scumbag (I read for 30 seconds), how many men here can think back on living through ages 15-25 and honestly say none of their invariably flirtatious behavior would qualify as a fireable offense for a public figure? I'm married with kids now, but decades ago, I had at least one failed attempt to plant one on a girl during a date after misreading the situation. At the time my punishment was personal embarrassment, but by the lights of 2018 I'm a bloodthirsty rape-monster. If I were a public figure and she "came out," I'd be another disembodied head for the Revolutionary mob. And here I thought I wasn't such a bad guy...

And contrary to liberal opinion on the matter, she could be fabricating the story for political reasons.
Why is that a liberal opinion? It is claimed she took a polygraph test and passed. And she could be totally making up the story. I give both sides there due. She could totally be doing it for political reasons.

You know if I was her you know what I would do? I would do a polygraph test. Have each party pick the examiner. And if she is lying both examiners can be testify to congress she made it up. But if both examiners state she is telling the truth then let people make up their minds based on that info.

Life has taken me away from Coug football in the last few months so this is all news to me, but:
  1. I like that WSU has "accepted [Gesser's] resignation." What are the consequences for Gesser should they have chosen to decline it? He broadcasts from a crawlspace under Martin? Peels potatoes at the dining center? Cleans toilets at the rec center?
  2. I see every personality represented here on this issue: white knights, reactionaries, virtue signallers. We even have Kavanaugh brought up (obnoxiously). Granting that Gesser is a guilty scumbag (I read for 30 seconds), how many men here can think back on living through ages 15-25 and honestly say none of their invariably flirtatious behavior would qualify as a fireable offense for a public figure? I'm married with kids now, but decades ago, I had at least one failed attempt to plant one on a girl during a date after misreading the situation. At the time my punishment was personal embarrassment, but by the lights of 2018 I'm a bloodthirsty rape-monster. If I were a public figure and she "came out," I'd be another disembodied head for the Revolutionary mob. And here I thought I wasn't such a bad guy...
Gesser did this when he was 39. Do you have a point?

Why is that a liberal opinion? It is claimed she took a polygraph test and passed. And she could be totally making up the story. I give both sides there due. She could totally be doing it for political reasons.

You know if I was her you know what I would do? I would do a polygraph test. Have each party pick the examiner. And if she is lying both examiners can be testify to congress she made it up. But if both examiners state she is telling the truth then let people make up their minds based on that info.
FWIW....I think you are putting too much stock in polygraph testing. Here's a link that might shed some light:

http://www.apa.org/research/action/polygraph.aspx

Summary: Most psychologists agree that there is little evidence that polygraph tests can accurately detect lies.

Glad Cougar

And contrary to liberal opinion on the matter, she could be fabricating the story for political reasons.

It's impossible to know one way or the other.

Polygraphs are great for day time talk show hosts, but only work about 85% of the time. Completely inadmissible in court. Truthfully, I'd feel best if she showed up and testified before the Senate. She has hard questions to answer if people are going to believe in her testimony. I imagine it would be unpleasant, but necessary, given the circumstances.

Did you reach your hand up her dress and grab her butt.....and then continue to try and kiss her and say it was ok because nobody needed to know? Did you do that again? And again until she finally ran to the door and demand that you leave? Did you do pull your dick out in front of a girl and pull her hand towards it.....knowing that she wasn't there to have sex with you? If you haven't done either of those things.....you can rest assured that you haven't stepped into the world of Jason Gesser that we've been introduced to. Lots of guys have done regrettable things and they should know that they are at risk if they put themselves in a high profile public position. Lots of stories are more innocent like the tale above of putting a hand on a thigh and realizing it was a mistake and not doubling down and seeing what it would take to get a forceful rejection.

Sometimes, "date rape" is an incredibly complex situation where the truth is incredibly difficult to identify. I inadvertently caused a girl to get date raped a little over 20 years ago. My wife and I introduced a friend of hers to one of my co-workers and went on a double date with them. They hit it off and went on another date without us. The girl came to us and told us that she had been raped by my co-worker. I confronted him on it and it was extremely awkward to say the least. After talking to both parties a couple different times, the girl realized that even though the guy had went too far, too fast, he wasn't a terrible guy who made a habit of this type of action and it was more of a terrible misunderstanding than anything else. They've been married for over 20 years now. It doesn't excuse his actions, but the world would not be a better place if he had been prosecuted.

Gesser's situation is obviously more complex because there appears to be a pattern with him and It's undoubtedly a good thing for him if this disappears and no others feel compelled to come forward. Falling on the sword now and trying to move on is his best move by far. He shouldn't get off easy but I hope that he finds another chance in life once he's made some real changes. He can go talk to Leaf about how it goes if he doesn't really do some soul searching and go for real change.

Polygraphs are great for day time talk show hosts, but only work about 85% of the time. Completely inadmissible in court. Truthfully, I'd feel best if she showed up and testified before the Senate. She has hard questions to answer if people are going to believe in her testimony. I imagine it would be unpleasant, but necessary, given the circumstances.
Personally I hope she does both. If it is good enough for Rand Paul it is good enough for me.

He may be telling the truth. My point was that denying him the Supreme Court is not equivalent to condemning him and even a “child” guilty of attempted rape shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court.

He may be telling the truth. My point was that denying him the Supreme Court is not equivalent to condemning him and even a “child” guilty of attempted rape shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court.

He would still be a federal judge if he's not on the Supreme Court. If his transgressions are worthy of being denied the Supreme Court, he shouldn't be on the federal bench either.

Chip are you serious. The mention of Kavanaughs accuser isn't obnoxious in the manner it was brought up. It was simply to highlight the long term damage these events have on woman, or can have on woman. I make no mention if I think Kavanaugh is guilty or innocent. I am simply saying something of a sexual nature (she claims) happened to her and she is still emotionally dealing (seeing a counselor) with it 30 years later, thus saying events can have a long lasting effect.

He would still be a federal judge if he's not on the Supreme Court. If his transgressions are worthy of being denied the Supreme Court, he shouldn't be on the federal bench either.

I agree, but that train has left the station.

Gesser did this when he was 39. Do you have a point?

He also didn't stop when told "no", forced himself someone, and exposed himself to another.

There's about 5 football fields between that and getting denied a kiss.

Reactions: Cougzz

Polygraphs at 85% are then less reliable than Paul Wulff losing to FBS teams (87%).

I don’t disagree, but the rub here is that he completely, categorically denies the incident and has an impeccable public record. He’s clean as a whistle, which in itself is a contradiction to abusers. Abusers aren’t one and done offenders. There’s a patten of abuse that follows them throughout their lives. That’s how I’d defend Kavanaugh if I were in that position. This sexual predator spontaneously reversed course after that night? Every other woman in his life since then adores and endorses him. Shifting optics towards the accuser, who is a passionate liberal, anti-Trump activist, scrubbed her social media accounts. What’s more probable, Kavanaugh being a one night abuser or her fabricating for political gain?

I don’t think there’s anything that can be done to discredit him when the other person accused of being there denies it as well. Furthermore, it’s not only a denial, but you get the sense that everyone involved (including the accuser) is foggy about what happened over 35 years ago.

I’m a scatterbrained pre-law graduate, and by no means a legal expert, but slinging mud at his accuser seems pretty straightforward based on what I’ve read. I think he’ll be confirmed next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: WindyCityCoug

This is a completely cynical attempt to derail Kavanaugh. Feinstein knew about this for months and did not reveal it until the last minute.

For God's sake....Kavanaugh has 30+ years of stellar behavior as an adult. If we could clone him we'd have zero crime. Is that nothing? It is despicable to suggest a 11th hour accusation from 30+ years ago should nullify that. God help the children of those who don't see this.

Chip are you serious. The mention of Kavanaughs accuser isn't obnoxious in the manner it was brought up. It was simply to highlight the long term damage these events have on woman, or can have on woman. I make no mention if I think Kavanaugh is guilty or innocent. I am simply saying something of a sexual nature (she claims) happened to her and she is still emotionally dealing (seeing a counselor) with it 30 years later, thus saying events can have a long lasting effect.

We don't know her issues in full. Many go to counseling for years for many reasons. I don't believe her.

I don't know much about what really happened with Kavanaugh....but I'll say that when you are talking about the Supreme Court of the United States......I don't think we should pick anyone who has to say, "Yeah.....I did terrible things.....but it was a long time ago and I didn't get caught at the time." I think we should have higher standards than that. If he didn't do anything wrong as he says......well, then it really comes down to pure politics again. Ironically for the democrats....if they hadn't been stupid and changed the Senate rules.....they wouldn't have to worry about Kavanaugh because he will never get the 60 votes needed to get the nomination based on the old rules. The dumbasses have only themselves to blame.

It wasn't just "a long time ago"...it was an allegation made at the 11th hour for political reasons that is contrary to everything we know about Kavanaugh's stellar behavior in the past 35 years.

No other women has stated he acted in any inappropriate way. Quite the contrary. He has had incredible support from women who have worked with him closely for many years.

One would see others also making claims if he had a problem. One doesn't rape or attempt to rape a female and then a switch simply changes their behavior for 35 years. It just doesn't happen.

For God's sake....Kavanaugh has 30+ years of stellar behavior as an adult. If we could clone him we'd have zero crime. Is that nothing? It is despicable to suggest a 11th hour accusation from 30+ years ago should nullify that. God help the children of those who don't see this.
How Feinstein botched this shouldn’t be confused with whether it’s true. I don’t think the gal just made this up out of whole cloth because there are lots of reasons to believe she didn’t. That doesn’t mean I don’t want her memory of events tested. That’s only right.

How Feinstein botched this shouldn’t be confused with whether it’s true. I don’t think the gal just made this up out of whole cloth because there are lots of reasons to believe she didn’t. That doesn’t mean I don’t want her memory of events tested. That’s only right.
My point is to look at the politics. I don't believe her either.

You believe her? Does this nullify 35 years of impeccable adult behaior around women? Let's get some perspective here.
Attempted rape at 17 years old? If that’s true he shouldn’t be on the bench. I’m not saying his life should be over, but he shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court. I believe she isn’t just making up a tale, but I could be convinced otherwise—I’d prefer to hear from her.

Attempted rape at 17 years old? If that’s true he shouldn’t be on the bench. I’m not saying his life should be over, but he shouldn’t be on the Supreme Court. I believe she isn’t just making up a tale, but I could be convinced otherwise—I’d prefer to hear from her.
I don't think you understand the extremely dirty politics of the left.

It wasn't just "a long time ago"...it was an allegation made at the 11th hour for political reasons that is contrary to everything we know about Kavanaugh's stellar behavior in the past 35 years.

No other women has stated he acted in any inappropriate way. Quite the contrary. He has had incredible support from women who have worked with him closely for many years.

One would see others also making claims if he had a problem. One doesn't rape or attempt to rape a female and then a switch simply changes their behavior for 35 years. It just doesn't happen.

As we saw with Gesser....if there is a guy with a problem.....other stories pop up. That hasn't happened with Kavanaugh so I am inclined to think that it was either a very isolated case that he learned from and never repeated.....or it didn't happen in the first place. For me, because I've lost my loyalty to the Republican Party over the past few years, I think they deserve all the stress they get because they should have appointed Merrick Garland in 2016 and they played political games to avoid it. Democrats deserve everything they get because they were greedy and stupid back in the day and changed the rules that are now allowing the Republicans to force Kavanaugh through. If both parties had shown any real ethics........it would be easier to feel sympathy to the involved parties. As it is.....screw 'em all.

As far as I'm concerned, a supreme court appointment should be limited to 10 years and then they have to be voted for retention in the general election. That would allow "the people" to get rid of justices that they didn't like or that weren't doing a good job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT