ADVERTISEMENT

Rodgers in the portal

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
Interesting.

Lots of the veterans on this team have seemed sullen in interviews throughout the season. Whether this is Covid taking its toll or behind the scenes issues we'll never know. But it's becoming increasingly clear we are experiencing incredibly high turnover from players who have been expected to contribute in the two deeps. It's looking like we might be even younger next year.

We forget that this is typical when new coaches come in and give the players a different look and evaluation. Noticed Moon Ashby played DE in the second half.....could be related to the Rogers decision.

We forget that this is typical when new coaches come in and give the players a different look and evaluation. Noticed Moon Ashby played DE in the second half.....could be related to the Rogers decision.

Why enter now. Rodgers will be given a second senior season. Jackson whether inside or outside has surpassed Rodgers. And it was apparent Crowder surpassed McDougle. It surprises me Kwete left so early but maybe the isolation is getting to these athelets, or maybe they don't want to be part of a rotation or even fight for a job.

Why not just play the season out? Get more film, get more reps, lift weighs, finish classes, move on.

How do you improve as a football player when you take yourself off the field?

Now, if it’s just an awful situation where he hates his coach, feels mistreated, has other issues going on and the scenario is untenable ~ ok cool. I dont see the value in riding that mess of a situation out either.

I'm not happy to see kids opt out, but I've witnessed some very encouraging play from the DL this season. That has to be playing a part in these decisions.

Why not just play the season out? Get more film, get more reps, lift weighs, finish classes, move on.

How do you improve as a football player when you take yourself off the field?

Now, if it’s just an awful situation where he hates his coach, feels mistreated, has other issues going on and the scenario is untenable ~ ok cool. I dont see the value in riding that mess of a situation out either.

He might be out for the season due to injury. If so, he's just getting a jump on his next step.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
He might be out for the season due to injury. If so, he's just getting a jump on his next step.

Ah that sucks. Is it the injury itself??? A lot of guys get injured and get healthy to play. If he just is ready for a change in scenery, ok cool. It isnt unheard of.

This is such a crap year for these kids. Far from home, new coach, pandemic, everything turned upside down.

My preference would be to see kids stick it out and then make some choices after the season. I understand if things are just going to shit for some guys and its time to move on.

Someone on here stated that there was up to 12 Vets getting ready to bolt before this last minute season took place. We up to what ???? 5 now??? With at least 2 more as "unknowns". One guy to keep an eye on is Jamire Calvin. Goes from a High Volume Slot guy in the A-R to an outside WR in the RnS that isn't really a key aspect. His body language didn't look great on Saturday afternoon.

It’s a contract year. Put your best effort on film, if you wanna enter the portal and move on you have the film to do so. Next year you have same eligibility.

Probably a mixture of everything. There's always going to be turnover with a new coaching staff. Leach is seeing it pretty bad at Miss. State. We couldn't rely on McDougle, I was expecting big things from him last year and couldn't get on the field and our defense was terrible. Skylar Thomas, struggled last year, but don't think we had the depth to replace him. it was pretty clear that Banker was going in a different direction with safeties. Rodgers is interesting, but he leave the game Saturday and maybe he doesn't like how he's being used with the new DC. Who knows, but the defense was already in for a major rebuild, so losing a few upper classmen isn't that big of deal to me.

Reactions: CougEd
Until its proven otherwise hes a quitter that doesnt like the pressure on his pt. Same for anyone who enters the portal, ESPECIALLY on our team. 3 star and less players thinking the grass is greener is mind boggling and just speaks to the entitlement a lot of these kids seem to have.

One guy to keep an eye on is Jamire Calvin. Goes from a High Volume Slot guy in the A-R to an outside WR in the RnS that isn't really a key aspect. His body language didn't look great on Saturday afternoon.
I’ve been worried about him as well. Didn’t notice the body language but it doesn’t seem like he’s getting targeted that much. I’d been looking forward to his return.

Now that he's entered the portal can his scholarship be pulled and given to Ayden Hector?
I seem to recall that there is a waiting period in a situation like this. Can't give a scholarship to a walk-on during the same year that he walked on- something like that. Hector is in line to receive a scholly next June or whenever he is eligible to receive one. Going to be a few available.

I seem to recall that there is a waiting period in a situation like this. Can't give a scholarship to a walk-on during the same year that he walked on- something like that. Hector is in line to receive a scholly next June or whenever he is eligible to receive one. Going to be a few available.

He can get a scholarship assuming one is available, it just counts against the 25 and 85 cap. After two years awarding a scholarship to a walk-on does not count against the 25 annual cap, which is why most guys have to wait.

Scholarships are good for a year. He hasn’t left yet, so he could come back.

Hector will not be waiting long.

Yes to both of these points. He hasn't left yet. Essentially he has simply put himself out on the open market. There may not be offers from anywhere that he wants to go. If he handled it right, it was not a surprise to the staff. If he handled it wrong, he burned a bridge. All part of growing up...but you hope the kids have someone with some gray hair with whom they can talk before embarking on a drastic change. Otherwise it is FCS country.

Someone on here stated that there was up to 12 Vets getting ready to bolt before this last minute season took place. We up to what ???? 5 now??? With at least 2 more as "unknowns". One guy to keep an eye on is Jamire Calvin. Goes from a High Volume Slot guy in the A-R to an outside WR in the RnS that isn't really a key aspect. His body language didn't look great on Saturday afternoon.

Tay Martin (Sr)
Skyler Thomas (Sr)
Lamonte McDougle (So)
Cosmas Kwete (So)
Rodrick Fisher (So)
Kassidy Woods (So)
Will Rodgers (Sr)
Mike Pettway (Fr)

And we've heard rumors of another group which might be headed for the exits after the season. Something stinks in the culture.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Yes to both of these points. He hasn't left yet. Essentially he has simply put himself out on the open market. There may not be offers from anywhere that he wants to go. If he handled it right, it was not a surprise to the staff. If he handled it wrong, he burned a bridge. All part of growing up...but you hope the kids have someone with some gray hair with whom they can talk before embarking on a drastic change. Otherwise it is FCS country.

The added benefit of the transfer portal is once a kid enters we don't have to bring them back. Might be a reason we haven't seen more players head for the exits. They know they will have to pay for the rest of their schooling.

Tay Martin (Sr)
Skyler Thomas (Sr)
Lamonte McDougle (So)
Cosmas Kwete (So)
Rodrick Fisher (So)
Kassidy Woods (So)
Will Rodgers (Sr)
Mike Pettway (Fr)

And we've heard rumors of another group which might be headed for the exits after the season. Something stinks in the culture.

E, that is possible. But it could just as likely be the opposite. If Leach was not holding folks accountable in his last year and the new staff insists on a higher standard of effort, that also is a culture change...but not one that stinks.

Reactions: longtimecoug
Tay Martin (Sr)
Skyler Thomas (Sr)
Lamonte McDougle (So)
Cosmas Kwete (So)
Rodrick Fisher (So)
Kassidy Woods (So)
Will Rodgers (Sr)
Mike Pettway (Fr)

*Ding ding ding*
We have a winner.

With any new coaching staff, their will be some kids that don't fit with the new scheme. I expect to be seeing 2 quarterbacks in that transfer portal soon enough as well.

Did Fisher ever enroll at another school? With his size and speed I thought he was going to pretty outstanding, was bummed when he left the program.

I think the transfer portal makes it easier for kids to leave. It gives them a nationwide platform to shop their talents.

I dont have an issue with kids being able to do this. Coaches go out and look for new jobs or better jobs too. It’s only fair.

If a new coach comes in and kids dont see the future they want with the program, fine. I just ask that everyone involved have a level of class that leads to a graceful exit.

E, that is possible. But it could just as likely be the opposite. If Leach was not holding folks accountable in his last year and the new staff insists on a higher standard of effort, that also is a culture change...but not one that stinks.

I don't think Leach's problem was not holding players accountable. Maybe some of the assistants but the kids knew the amount of work being demanded of them.

Let's be honest here. None of these transfer kids were world beaters. Coaches always have their guys. These new coaches thought of some of these guys differently than the former coaches. Quite simple.....i was playing a ton for old coaches...new coaches come in and I'm not playing nearly as much....kid thinks he is getting unfairly treated...kid transfers. Only one In really bummed about was Kwete.

Reactions: walzuu
Let's be honest here. None of these transfer kids were world beaters. Coaches always have their guys. These new coaches thought of some of these guys differently than the former coaches. Quite simple.....i was playing a ton for old coaches...new coaches come in and I'm not playing nearly as much....kid thinks he is getting unfairly treated...kid transfers. Only one In really bummed about was Kwete.

Not a big loss, he came in with big expectations and never lived up to them. Loved to talk trash and finger wave but always appeared to be playing on roller skates.

I don't think Leach's problem was not holding players accountable. Maybe some of the assistants but the kids knew the amount of work being demanded of them.

First, 2019 was a strange strange year. You had two very different factions trying to coach the defense. You have one guy in Claeys who stopped the Air Raid in the Holiday bowl. And you had two two coaches to the scene pulling in the other direction. And after seeing what happened against Air Force, just in alignment, I have to believe the new guys were the problem.

As for Leach not holding them accountable, unfortunately it does fall on any head coach if the assistant isn't doing their job.

What does strike me as odd is that both Kwete and Rodgers should benefit by playing in the 4-3, and if there is a great rotation they are always fresh. But if they aren't happy, better to know now.

Not a big loss, he came in with big expectations and never lived up to them. Loved to talk trash and finger wave but always appeared to be playing on roller skates.
I mean, lets pump the brakes on the WDWHA crap - this is the best WSU has been able to get pretty much consistently since forever, and losing them means a loss of depth at a position we are already weak at. No doubt we are looking to improve with the new staff and the incoming kids, but losing these kids definitely hurts in the short term.

I mean, lets pump the brakes on the WDWHA crap - this is the best WSU has been able to get pretty much consistently since forever, and losing them means a loss of depth at a position we are already weak at. No doubt we are looking to improve with the new staff and the incoming kids, but losing these kids definitely hurts in the short term.

Not saying WDWHA....saying I never was that impressed. Obviously neither were the new coaches as it appears he was moved down the depth chart. Losing someone who doesn't want to be with the program is addition by subtraction IMO.

First, 2019 was a strange strange year. You had two very different factions trying to coach the defense. You have one guy in Claeys who stopped the Air Raid in the Holiday bowl. And you had two two coaches to the scene pulling in the other direction. And after seeing what happened against Air Force, just in alignment, I have to believe the new guys were the problem.

As for Leach not holding them accountable, unfortunately it does fall on any head coach if the assistant isn't doing their job.

What does strike me as odd is that both Kwete and Rodgers should benefit by playing in the 4-3, and if there is a great rotation they are always fresh. But if they aren't happy, better to know now.

I was pushing back against the notion that Leach wasn't holding the players to a high standard last year and kids were bugging out because a new sheriff is in town. Rolo commented when he arrived his pleasure with the teams work ethic. Dickert commented that the D was embarrassed last year and was working hard to turn things around. This speaks to a realistic expectations of what was needed.

Something has changed. I don't think we have a bunch of low character kids on the program. That would have shown up in workouts. Maybe Covid has resulted in a lot of grumbling. Maybe the United movement and Woods stuff tore the locker room apart. Maybe Rolo hasn't earned the trust of his players yet. Maybe it's a combo of all of the above

Regardless, it's weird to see such a steady stream of departures off the roster from players who have played a significant number of snaps. Skyler Thomas, Lamonte McDougle, and Will Rodgers might not have started but they'd rotate in some and it wouldn't be the end of the world if they filled in for a game of two due to injury. These are the types of players who stick around when morale is high and head for the hills when it's not.

I was pushing back against the notion that Leach wasn't holding the players to a high standard last year and kids were bugging out because a new sheriff is in town. Rolo commented when he arrived his pleasure with the teams work ethic. Dickert commented that the D was embarrassed last year and was working hard to turn things around. This speaks to a realistic expectations of what was needed.

Something has changed. I don't think we have a bunch of low character kids on the program. That would have shown up in workouts. Maybe Covid has resulted in a lot of grumbling. Maybe the United movement and Woods stuff tore the locker room apart. Maybe Rolo hasn't earned the trust of his players yet. Maybe it's a combo of all of the above

Regardless, it's weird to see such a steady stream of departures off the roster from players who have played a significant number of snaps. Skyler Thomas, Lamonte McDougle, and Will Rodgers might not have started but they'd rotate in some and it wouldn't be the end of the world if they filled in for a game of two due to injury. These are the types of players who stick around when morale is high and head for the hills when it's not.

I get why Rodgers leaving may surprise you, but not surprised at all about McDougle. Thomas slightly more surprising but Banker knows what he is doing back there.

I think kids are bugging out because they aren't starting, or playing as much as they did in the past. I don't draw much on 2019 cause it was just a plain screwy year.

New coaches, new management, unfortunately people leave, it is part of sports, part of life. I think we are in good hands with this staff, from what I have seen so far, they seem to have put the players in a position to make plays, can't say I felt that way about last years defense. I hope some of these players change their mind about the transfer portal, but if they don't we simply move on, next man up.

I get why Rodgers leaving may surprise you, but not surprised at all about McDougle. Thomas slightly more surprising but Banker knows what he is doing back there.

I think kids are bugging out because they aren't starting, or playing as much as they did in the past. I don't draw much on 2019 cause it was just a plain screwy year.

It is so good having somebody who has seen it all AND is a really good coach. Can't be more happy with that pickup.

As for Rodgers, he was dropping in reps and who knows the reason, but good luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT