ADVERTISEMENT

Rolo gets a pass from me this year.

Nov 19, 2012
So, PAC12 will play this year after all, maybe as soon as Oct. Although every team in college football has been negatively impacted, I’m giving Rolo a complete pass this year no matter what the record is at the end of the season. I just don’t think it’s fair to judge coaches, especially new coaches, under these circumstances.

Reactions: Cougzz and 79COUG
I understand the sentiment, Bart, but I can't give him a "complete" pass. For instance, I expect the staff to be prepared for the game. Every game. And I expect the players to be prepared, as well. Stellar execution? Maybe not so much, given the new system. And mistakes? I expect some, particularly in the first 3-4 games. I plan to cut him some slack, without question. And I'm flexible on the W/L results. But poor game planning, lack of preparation, excessive really dumb mistakes....especially mistakes of omission, rather than mistakes of commission....those reflect on the effectiveness of the staff. So I can't really say that Rolo & Co get a complete pass.

Reactions: Cougzz
Spokane Indians owner wants WSU sports cuts

Rolo might not be getting a complete pass from legislature.

Looks like Senate Majority Leader Andy Billig is suggesting to the WSU Board of Regents do "drastic" and "extreme" cuts to WSU athletics.

Wonder if that means Rolo's salary (bring back Wulff?), drop to Big Sky (sure worked for Idaho)

Looks like Senate Majority Leader Andy Billig is suggesting to the WSU Board of Regents do "drastic" and "extreme" cuts to WSU athletics.

Wonder if that means Rolo's salary (bring back Wulff?), drop to Big Sky (sure worked for Idaho)

This gives "blame it on Spokane" a whole new meaning...

I understand the sentiment, Bart, but I can't give him a "complete" pass. For instance, I expect the staff to be prepared for the game. Every game. And I expect the players to be prepared, as well. Stellar execution? Maybe not so much, given the new system. And mistakes? I expect some, particularly in the first 3-4 games. I plan to cut him some slack, without question. And I'm flexible on the W/L results. But poor game planning, lack of preparation, excessive really dumb mistakes....especially mistakes of omission, rather than mistakes of commission....those reflect on the effectiveness of the staff. So I can't really say that Rolo & Co get a complete pass.

This is correct.

But at 3 bills a year (okay, subtract 15% for this season due to COVID, which is what should've been the starting salary), they better be competitive and prepared.

Sure if UW has to do not only the same, but a same kind of ratio, proportional cuts, that would make UW just as bad in football as WSU, and if that made UW also have to join the MWC, Mountain West Conference.

Which wouldnt be the worst thing. Because WSU would DOMINATE the Mountain West, and BSU, WSU, UW would goto Bowl games, year in, year out, and WSU would goto a NY6 Bowl, every 2,3,4 years

And then after BYU, Rejoins the MWC, with WSU, UW, Ore St, BSU, Utah; Air Force, Wyoming, etc, and after Scott gets the Pac 12 drummed out of the P5 like the Big East Least, then the MWC, would take the Pac 12's place, as a P5 conference with some of the Leftovers from the Pac 12, USC, UCLA, Oregon, joining BYU, Utah, BSU, UW, Ore St, Air Force, Wyoming as the WEST Conference 14, replacing the Pac 12.

Otherwise the State Legislature can stay out of trying to run WSU, even if it means that they stop funding WSU.

Seriously tho the state funds UW as well, why is no one talking about forcing UW to make SERIOUS CUTS, and or DEFUNDING UW??

Could it be that the State Legislators are UW Fan HOMERS, and take their fanhood into their politics at state legislators?

I know they will deny that, and point to WSU's budget.

Which technically true.

But they are just looking for any reason they can to get rid of WSU as a semi legit competitor to UW.

They just either want WSU gone, making it easier for UW.

OR

They want poor pathetic little ole WSU from 1955 to 1960, ish, that UW can just beat 100 to nothing every season, so that they get another easy win each year, and get all the recruits.

Thats what this is really about.

Even tho they can technically lie, and tell trurh at same time that technically its about WSU's budget.

Hopefully its just 1,2 IDIOT HUSKY Legislators, and not the majority of the state congress.

Time for Coug Fans to vote Billig out of office.

If he succeeds at doing this, HE IS GONE. Coug Fans will vote his butt out.

Rolo shouldn't get a pass, but fans need to be cognizant of the practical realities of this team. Stacked with talent on offense, but the OL has virtually run experience blocking moving forward. On defense, the cupboard is utterly bare on paper/statistically, and we can only hope that last year's defensive coaches were the major cause for the conference's worst defense.

Rolo shouldn't get a pass, but fans need to be cognizant of the practical realities of this team.

Well said. I expect the offense to be decent but not nearly as potent as under CML. What I would like to see is an improved defense in terms of scheme. They need to do some work here.
One other thing to consider is that if they run the ball more and use up more clock on offense then the defense will have a chance to rest a bit more.

Rolo shouldn't get a pass, but fans need to be cognizant of the practical realities of this team.

Well said. I expect the offense to be decent but not nearly as potent as under CML. What I would like to see is an improved defense in terms of scheme. They need to do some work here.
One other thing to consider is that if they run the ball more and use up more clock on offense then the defense will have a chance to rest a bit more.

Jarvis, we have to hope that the defense is SIGNIFICANTLY more effective this year, given last year's poor staff planning. Assuming that we are a couple steps ahead on D, we can afford a slip in O for this year. And frankly, while I expect the O to have kinks that need to be worked out, in a 7 game season that should really be pretty much resolved by game 4. If we end up looking back on a season that shows real promise for next year (much like how Leaf's freshman season ended), then I think we will be happy.

Reactions: jarvis1981
Jarvis, we have to hope that the defense is SIGNIFICANTLY more effective this year, given last year's poor staff planning. Assuming that we are a couple steps ahead on D, we can afford a slip in O for this year. And frankly, while I expect the O to have kinks that need to be worked out, in a 7 game season that should really be pretty much resolved by game 4. If we end up looking back on a season that shows real promise for next year (much like how Leaf's freshman season ended), then I think we will be happy.

Wait a minute here. We can't "assume" the defense will be a "couple steps ahead." Coaching might be a contributing factor for last year's disaster, but if you have talent you aren't going to be dead last in conference play by a healthy margin. Claeys suddenly quit, then Leach decided on a lateral job move, at best. Doesn't that strongly suggests we have serious problems with the D? I can't see both Claeys and Leach bolting, if there weren't major issues.

Common sense says the defense's cupboard is likely bare.

Reactions: jarvis1981
I guess I don't see the cupboard as bare, but when ever we get back on the field, that will be decided. In looking at what the Wyoming D did with this staff, I think we will be prepared for every game. That is a requirement to know what you have in your cupboard, and last year we simply were not prepared on D.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I believe that most, if not all, of us will give Rolo some slack in the upcoming season. If the offense is functional, the defense is improved and special teams are prepared then I am personally satisfied. New kid on the block with no HC experience at this level followed by a cut block from Covid19- it was Murphy's Law on steroids. And remember that we will have a Winter season with the new IPF not yet in existence. If Rolo and staff can get through this in reasonable good shape, we should all be content and optimistic.

So, PAC12 will play this year after all, maybe as soon as Oct. Although every team in college football has been negatively impacted, I’m giving Rolo a complete pass this year no matter what the record is at the end of the season. I just don’t think it’s fair to judge coaches, especially new coaches, under these circumstances.
Rolo doesn't need slack. WSU might surprise many.

“Leach took a lateral job move, at best.”

Ha, a 25% raise for both he and his assistant coaches is a lateral move? You would consider making one million dollars more at a new job a lateral move? I would bet that WSU is better academically than MSU, but in terms of finances, (particularly football) MSU is financially far better off than WSU.

Sure MSU is a land grant college and historically looked at as the “Little Brother” of the University of Mississippi, but cut the ag guys some slack. ;) You and I may not want to live in Mississippi, but I bet most the people there don’t want to live in Pullman either.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
ADVERTISEMENT