ADVERTISEMENT

Running back situation

I’m willing to try anything at this point. If CFB continues on the current path, I’m out. And soon.

Expansion to 12 teams in the playoff may end the conference expansion. What’s the $$$ for a playoff spot??? That could lead to independents lol

It's become like the NFL, your recruits are like draft picks, and the portal is like paying for and picking up proven free agents. What college football doesn't have is compensation for loss of free agents, or players through the portal, which is something they need to look into. They are going to have to put a cap on the number of portal players you pick up, and you get more portal options as you lose players, which is the hard part, because many players going to the portal end up at lesser schools. So they will have to grade portal players, which means none of the cap stuff will happen. Hanging onto your good players becomes critical to success in the future.

It's become like the NFL, your recruits are like draft picks, and the portal is like paying for and picking up proven free agents. What college football doesn't have is compensation for loss of free agents, or players through the portal, which is something they need to look into. They are going to have to put a cap on the number of portal players you pick up, and you get more portal options as you lose players, which is the hard part, because many players going to the portal end up at lesser schools. So they will have to grade portal players, which means none of the cap stuff will happen. Hanging onto your good players becomes critical to success in the future.

They need to move to an “open 85” and let teams fill their rosters with whoever they want. You cannot graduate a big senior class, then have a dozen kids leave in the portal, only to restock with 25 kids and be well under capacity. You will get crushed and it will take years to get back to 85 scholarship players.

The talented kids will get NIL $ and exposure. The less talented kids will find themselves in a circus of transferring, recruiting and moving around the country trying to find the right spot.

They need to move to an “open 85” and let teams fill their rosters with whoever they want. You cannot graduate a big senior class, then have a dozen kids leave in the portal, only to restock with 25 kids and be well under capacity. You will get crushed and it will take years to get back to 85 scholarship players.

The talented kids will get NIL $ and exposure. The less talented kids will find themselves in a circus of transferring, recruiting and moving around the country trying to find the right spot.
Except that the 85 needs to be 70.

If they move to an open roster system, I think they need to restrict the portal. Otherwise you'll have the Alabamas that just build their roster every year by stealing the best players from other teams. Blue bloods won't even have freshman players, they'll make them try out with other teams before they snag them through the portal. On the plus side for the players, at least that way they get to play, instead of sitting on the bench at 'Bama. On the downside for everyone else...you watch a kid develop into a player and a leader, someone you can build a team around...and then he's gone for someone else to build a team around.

As for 'free agent compensation' in college, my radical, never will be implemented idea: If team 1 poaches a kid from team 2 through the portal, team 1 has to pay for the scholarship of the new player team 2 replaces the transfer player with, until the transfer player exhausts his eligibility. Effectively, taking a player through the portal costs 2 roster spots. That'll cut down on the willingness of teams to sign huge portal classes, without actually putting a quantified restriction in place.

Except that the 85 needs to be 70.

If they move to an open roster system, I think they need to restrict the portal. Otherwise you'll have the Alabamas that just build their roster every year by stealing the best players from other teams. Blue bloods won't even have freshman players, they'll make them try out with other teams before they snag them through the portal. On the plus side for the players, at least that way they get to play, instead of sitting on the bench at 'Bama. On the downside for everyone else...you watch a kid develop into a player and a leader, someone you can build a team around...and then he's gone for someone else to build a team around.

As for 'free agent compensation' in college, my radical, never will be implemented idea: If team 1 poaches a kid from team 2 through the portal, team 1 has to pay for the scholarship of the new player team 2 replaces the transfer player with, until the transfer player exhausts his eligibility. Effectively, taking a player through the portal costs 2 roster spots. That'll cut down on the willingness of teams to sign huge portal classes, without actually putting a quantified restriction in place.

Imo, 70 is the way to go.

As for Bama, disagree. They have first pick of the best HS talent & $ to keep them there. Unless the kid is a super star why would they shop the portal that hard?

The $ makes sense for schools with $$$. If they are one player away from bigger bowl $ or more ticket sales, why wouldnt they pay off the other school’s scholarship? Cost of doing business.

If school’s were smart they’d figure out a way to make LOI’s multi year deals.

Imo, 70 is the way to go.

As for Bama, disagree. They have first pick of the best HS talent & $ to keep them there. Unless the kid is a super star why would they shop the portal that hard?

The $ makes sense for schools with $$$. If they are one player away from bigger bowl $ or more ticket sales, why wouldnt they pay off the other school’s scholarship? Cost of doing business.

If school’s were smart they’d figure out a way to make LOI’s multi year deals.
I like that idea too...except I'd hate to get locked in on a freshman that can't make the transition. Maybe use the freshman year as an evaluation period, and sign new multi-year LOIs following spring ball?

I like that idea too...except I'd hate to get locked in on a freshman that can't make the transition. Maybe use the freshman year as an evaluation period, and sign new multi-year LOIs following spring ball?

Or, just do a good job coaching kids and creating a culture on your team that they want to be a part of. How about that?

At some point if kids don't want to be there, wish them well.

WSU has full scholarships to offer, a full Power 5 schedule of playing time and a legit opportunity to get on the field early and have as much game film as possible for the NFL.

If that isn't enough, they should definitely go somewhere else.

If WSU/Dickert came out and said there will be no NIL $ at WSU, Im fine with it. If WSU/Dickert came out and said they will only sign high school players and continue to be a development program, Im fine with that too as long as there is an open 85 rule in place. If he came out and said they will only sign portal or JC players, again Im good with it. Juggling HS, JC, portal and NIL???? It's been my experience with WSU that juggling too much doesn't work. Pick what you are gonna be and be it.

Right now WSU needs backs. It is amazing to me how kids will stockpile themselves at blue blood schools and not give programs that have immediate need and playing time available a look. They will literally trade years of their eligibility and opportunity for f'ing shiny stuff and video games in their locker. I have never seen so many kids with such bright futures trade it away for what's behind door #2.... a donkey! a trip to downtown Portland!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT