ADVERTISEMENT

RV Parking Rant

Suudy

Head Coach
Aug 1, 2005
I've been trying to get into the Beasley lot for the last few years, and every year when I call CAF they claim I'm only 3rd on the waiting list. So, apparently the CAF has taken over region 2 parking this year. And they are completely sold out. I'm not sure how it is possible to be 3rd on the list for region 1, and not get a region 2 permit.

Then, as usual, the WSU parking website sucks. I've been timed out several times. And they still don't have a "Buy for all games" options, requiring one to click through each and every game. I did manage to get Region 3 permits for all 3 games, but it took 30 minutes to do this. I guess this is better than the 2 hours it took a couple of years ago. But it is still ridiculous.

And $80/game for dirt lots a mile or more out from the stadium? That's what it cost for a paved lot in Region 2 previously.

WSU is damn lucky I'm hardcore. If I were a fair weather fan I'd tell them to shove it up their arse.

RV and "camping" near the stadium, seem to me as the most obvious way for WSU to solve a major gameday attendance issue: lodging. I don't know

The Gorge figured this out years ago. If you are going to put a venue in the middle of nowhere, and get people from Seattle & Spokane to come to it, they need a place to stay....namely since the event is in the evening (which is going to be our time slot, like it or not).

I got priced out of the Beasley lot a year ago. Not complaining about the cost however. They can charge what the market will bear, and clearly with a waiting list that is what the market will bear. I did get tired of their inability to make the RV experience a bit nicer and easier for everyone. They clearly didn't like RVs rolling in too early on Thursday, and could have alleviated a lot of the problem by giving out assigned spaces in the Beasley lot which would have let people come in on Friday instead of Thursday to get a decent spot. I got tired of paying more money for less service.

I got priced out of the Beasley lot a year ago. Not complaining about the cost however. They can charge what the market will bear, and clearly with a waiting list that is what the market will bear. I did get tired of their inability to make the RV experience a bit nicer and easier for everyone. They clearly didn't like RVs rolling in too early on Thursday, and could have alleviated a lot of the problem by giving out assigned spaces in the Beasley lot which would have let people come in on Friday instead of Thursday to get a decent spot. I got tired of paying more money for less service.
Did you explain your issue to the athletic department?

I've been trying to get into the Beasley lot for the last few years, and every year when I call CAF they claim I'm only 3rd on the waiting list. So, apparently the CAF has taken over region 2 parking this year. And they are completely sold out. I'm not sure how it is possible to be 3rd on the list for region 1, and not get a region 2 permit.

Then, as usual, the WSU parking website sucks. I've been timed out several times. And they still don't have a "Buy for all games" options, requiring one to click through each and every game. I did manage to get Region 3 permits for all 3 games, but it took 30 minutes to do this. I guess this is better than the 2 hours it took a couple of years ago. But it is still ridiculous.

And $80/game for dirt lots a mile or more out from the stadium? That's what it cost for a paved lot in Region 2 previously.

WSU is damn lucky I'm hardcore. If I were a fair weather fan I'd tell them to shove it up their arse.

Unfortunately, WSU is in a position where the fans in the stadium aren't willing to pay high seat license fees to get better quality seats. I know that I have a friend who is willing to sit further from the action rather than pay more for his season tickets and I don't think he's uncommon. If WSU can't sell those seats as part of a ticket package, they only get face value plus a convenience fee when trying to sell out games. So, they gouge the fans that they know are willing to pay more because they are most devout.

I can assure you that WSU's fees for RV parking are probably the most inexpensive in the Pac-12. Oregon and even the Beavs charge their fans through the nose for RV parking.... it's so high, I don't understand how people pay it over at the Oregon schools.

RV and "camping" near the stadium, seem to me as the most obvious way for WSU to solve a major gameday attendance issue: lodging. I don't know

The Gorge figured this out years ago. If you are going to put a venue in the middle of nowhere, and get people from Seattle & Spokane to come to it, they need a place to stay....namely since the event is in the evening (which is going to be our time slot, like it or not).

Completely agree. The question is though, where?

Unfortunately, WSU is in a position where the fans in the stadium aren't willing to pay high seat license fees to get better quality seats. I know that I have a friend who is willing to sit further from the action rather than pay more for his season tickets and I don't think he's uncommon. If WSU can't sell those seats as part of a ticket package, they only get face value plus a convenience fee when trying to sell out games. So, they gouge the fans that they know are willing to pay more because they are most devout.
I have the exact seats I want in Sec 26. And I pay extra for them. And I'd even be happy to increase my CAF giving to get an RV site in Beasley or the IPF lot. I've inquired several times how much extra I'd need to get to move into the lots, and the answer is "When somebody leaves, you'll get into the lot." So it appears there are folk who have been in the Beasley or IPF lots, probably with a CAF ranking lower than mine, sitting on a permit they have had for 10+ years.

Bah. I shouldn't get my blood pressure up again today.

I can assure you that WSU's fees for RV parking are probably the most inexpensive in the Pac-12. Oregon and even the Beavs charge their fans through the nose for RV parking.... it's so high, I don't understand how people pay it over at the Oregon schools.
WSU is cheap in general. I know a guy that does the chains, and they don't even get paid, despite other schools paying their chain guys 200+/game. Heck, he said they didn't even get parking permits until a couple of years ago.

For my part, I only bitch about the $80 because its a crappy dirt lot way out from the stadium with no amenities at all. My father-in-law has suggested we just put the RV out in the Valley Rd parking lot. There's pavement, there is an easy to get shuttle, and it doesn't cost anything. But then again, you can't go back at halftime and have a couple of beers, Butch and the cheerleaders don't come by (which my kids love--well, so do I), and the atmosphere sucks. But all of that is worth $80 to me, so I pay it.

Oh, well. I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll have fun anywhere there are other tailgaters. I'm just frustrated with parking services and the CAF for their handling of permits.

Once you get out by the golf course, there still is a ton of green/open space. I'd personally corded off a huge spots out by the animal sciences area. Put in portable toilets, etc. Allow food trucks, etc. And try and accommodate around a 1000 spots. RV or camping. "Police it" with security guards so it doesn't get out of control. Maybe have "family areas." Think of the Gorge camp area. Heck maybe even have an entertainment stage out there.

But then again, you can't go back at halftime and have a couple of beers, Butch and the cheerleaders don't come by (which my kids love--well, so do I), and the atmosphere sucks.

This retired one would come by for a free beer...

There's plenty of unused land to the east of the stadium that could be used for RV parking and camping sites. A lot of it would require some level of grading to create level surfaces, and quite a bit of gravel or paving, but it could be done - and I imagine it will be, if demand for RV sites continues to build. But, if there's not enough demand at the price point they want...there won't be any more lots.

There's plenty of unused land to the east of the stadium that could be used for RV parking and camping sites. A lot of it would require some level of grading to create level surfaces, and quite a bit of gravel or paving, but it could be done - and I imagine it will be, if demand for RV sites continues to build. But, if there's not enough demand at the price point they want...there won't be any more lots.

Where? How far east?

I should clarify unused land: land without permanent structures on it.

The general vision comes from Auburn. Anything with an open space, is used for tailgating. Lots ot RV's, trailers, etc., surrounding the stadium.

Further, if you do a google earth search, when you get out by Wilson Rd., you've got green space big enough to fill "one way traffic" and back in parking/camping.

Again, think The Gorge if you have ever stayed on-sight. You are maybe getting a 10x10 spot. We could make it bigger.

Demand probably greatly falls for these spots after Dad's weekend.

Last edited:
The city of Pullman need some entrepreneurs to realize an easy opportunity. Turn parking lots and vacant fields into RV parking on game days.

Wheatland Express is sitting on a pot of gold. Offer season long parking, 30amp electric, and sell dump tank / winterizing packages. Turn that place into an RV Ramada. People would easily pay $500-$1000/season for parking, electric, dump tank service.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT