ADVERTISEMENT

Schulz/Chun strategy: Blame Bill Moos for any "problems" in WSU athletics?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
tenor.gif

Sure seems like it.

Why else would there be a choreographed release of an internal audit that (gasp!) revealed the athletic department under Mr. Moos was guilty of creative bookkeeping from time to time.

Well, even our friends at Brand X said today's "news" seems like ho-hum stuff.

Remember,
  • BM hired Coach Mike Leach, a future Hall of Famer.
  • BM built some of the premier facilities anywhere in College Football
What would you rather have: a $67M deficit in athletics or MWC-level resources spending on coaches and facilities for a Pac-12 program?

Isn't anybody else worried that a couple of carpet-bagging bean counters could return WSU Football to the lower tier of the conference?

At the end of the day, WSU is either all-in on football or it isn't.

And if it's the latter, good luck balancing the budget with 15K in the stands and a revolving door of replacements after CML heads elsewhere.

tenor.gif

Sure seems like it.

Why else would there be a choreographed release of an internal audit that (gasp!) revealed the athletic department under Mr. Moos was guilty of creative bookkeeping from time to time.

Remember,
What would you rather have: a $67M deficit in athletics or MWC-level resources spending on coaches and facilities for a Pac-12 program?

Isn't anybody else worried that a couple of carpet-bagging bean counters could return WSU Football to the lower tier of the conference?

And if it's the latter, good luck balancing the budget with 15K in the stands and a revolving door of replacements after CML heads elsewhere.

ChickenSchulz already pissed everyone off, so I'm sure he's happy to shift the spotlight to someone else.

This "scandal" is about ticket discounts and/or complimentary tickets. Guess what? WSU didn't lose any money on tickets that were not sold. That's why they were discounted or comped.

ChickenSchulz already pissed everyone off, so I'm sure he's happy to shift the spotlight to someone else.

This "scandal" is about ticket discounts and/or complimentary tickets. Guess what? WSU didn't lose any money on tickets that were not sold. That's why they were discounted or comped.
Blame it on crooked Hillary!!!

Sure seems like it.

Remember,

Pete this is sort of an infantile post. Who (besides you, I guess you are a paying subscriber over there) cares what Brand X thinks of anything?

And some reason why you had to start a new thread to shout about what you deem as "ho-hum"? If its so ho-hum why did you start a new thread?

Choreographed release? Capert-bagging bean counters? (you mean Shultz and Chun, correct?). Really dude?

Reactions: Cougzz
Pete this is sort of an infantile post. Who (besides you, I guess you are a paying subscriber over there) cares what Brand X thinks of anything?

And some reason why you had to start a new thread to shout about what you deem as "ho-hum"? If its so ho-hum why did you start a new thread?

Choreographed release? Capert-bagging bean counters? (you mean Shultz and Chun, correct?). Really dude?

Loyal, CougEd, Walden etc. want WSU to be bad so they can feel important. They don't like WSU winning games, building nice stadiums and operations building. They want 9-40. They love 9-40. Because it makes them all fuzzy when the school is reduced to being labeled losers so they can pretend that they are winners who know better.

If Schultz tries to meddle in the football program he should immediately be run out of Pullman.

Here's Schultz's track record regarding football.

He was hired in February 11, 2009 as Kansas State's President.

Bill Snyder was rehired in November 24, 2008 and saved Kansas State from the Ron Prince disaster.

His first AD hire was none other than John Currie. The guy who was in charge of the Tennessee debacle that almost landed Leach.

I do not trust him. If it weren't for that Bill Snyder hire/return BEFORE he became president or hired an AD K-State may never have recovered. They were lucky in having a tenured coaching icon already on board before Schultz.

Ok, this is going to be hard for a lot of you, but I’m just going to say it. Bill Moos the football visionary was different than Bill Moos the AD. He hurt us quite a bit, and there will be more to this story leaked very soon.

Ok, this is going to be hard for a lot of you, but I’m just going to say it. Bill Moos the football visionary was different than Bill Moos the AD. He hurt us quite a bit, and there will be more to this story leaked very soon.

I am waiting for people to actually show some "dastardly" Bill Moos plot, but what this really looks like is people fabricating an excuse to gut the athletic department and screw everybody over.

That's what it looks like to me.

Everything I have looked at. (And I look at everything)

Shows the athletic revenue increased 50% from about 40 million to 60 million

And that we are spending a lot to pay off a 120 million dollar football project that turned our laughing stock Martin Stadium from this....
320px-2008-1018-002-WSUMartinStadiumpan.JPG

To this...
Martin_Stadium_1890.jpg

He did not hurt us. He made WSU better. There is actual visual proof it is better. The football team is better, we aren't a laughing stock anymore. Moos hire produced 3 winning seasons in a row, and a beautiful stadium, and YES IT COSTS MONEY. WE ALL KNEW IT WOULD COST MONEY.

And did the athletic department revenue go up or go down? It went UP... 20 million dollars PER YEAR UP.

From 40 million in revenue to 60 million in revenue.

The Pac-12 revenue only went up by 10 million during that span. So we made another 10 million PER YEAR though Moos.

What "hurt" did he do? Keep all the money for himself? I didn't see him buying tons of ranches everywhere. That's a lot of money to hide. And if he did. We can get it back. Then sure he's a jerk for stealing, but I didn't see him steal anything.

All I see is a bunch of people crying that all this cost 120 million dollars. Which is what we ALL KNEW IT WOULD COST BECAUSE WE WERE TOLD IT COST THAT MUCH BACK IN 2011.

One report said we were paying 9 million per year on the construction costs. 6 years that is 45 million paid by the athletic department... Exactly what I said it has paid. Does that mean the school is subsidizing the other 80 million? YES. YES IT IS. But we had 200 million in reserves. The whole point is that we can pay for it, and the athletic department can get in the black and we can pay back the school. IT JUST TAKES PATIENCE.

Ernie Kent was the only really bad decision I have seen Moos make. Which is fine. We can fire him and save a lot of money and do something else with basketball. Fire him pay him 5 million and hire T.J. Otzelberger (who is only making 400k at South Dakota State) you could pay him 5 years guaranteed 1 million.

Considering the cost of firing Kent for 5 million you actually would save 400k per year by hiring Otzelberger. Or about a total of 2 million.

Meaning the total cost to hire Otzelberger and get rid of Kent right now is only 3 million. Which is not a lot to turn basketball completely around.

Looking at the information that USA Today has for WSU, our revenue has raised from $39 million in 2011 to $58 million in 2016. Following are the numbers for each category that they tracked:

Ticket Sales:
2011: $5.1 million
2016: $5.6 million

Contributions:
2011: $7.1 million
2016: $7.7 million

Rights/Licensing:
2011: $13.1 million
2016: $35.2 million

Student Fees:
2011: $1.6 million
2016: $820k

School Funds:
2011: $9.9 million
2016: $4.1 million

Other:
2011: $3.1 million
2016: $5.3 million

Looking through the list, revenue from student fees went down, official support from the school went down and licensing skyrocketed. According to a 2011 article about the Pac-12's new TV deal with ESPN, Fox and the other networks, the deal was going to net the conference about $190 million annually or a little bit more than $15 million per school. So, WSU has found closer to $7 million per year annually rather than the $10 million suggested above. That is still great but probably a reason that we are still struggling overall. It's kind of sad that contributions are virtually flat though.

As a football guy, I absolutely love everything Moos invested in. Money well spent for me, and for WSU. With that said, once we turned the corner and stabilized things, perhaps the timing was ideal to move on from Bill given the other aspects of directing the entirety of the athletic department which weren’t being met.

Looking at the information that USA Today has for WSU, our revenue has raised from $39 million in 2011 to $58 million in 2016. Following are the numbers for each category that they tracked:

Ticket Sales:

Contributions:

Rights/Licensing:

Student Fees:

School Funds:

Other:

Looking through the list, revenue from student fees went down, official support from the school went down and licensing skyrocketed. According to a 2011 article about the Pac-12's new TV deal with ESPN, Fox and the other networks, the deal was going to net the conference about $190 million annually or a little bit more than $15 million per school. So, WSU has found closer to $7 million per year annually rather than the $10 million suggested above. That is still great but probably a reason that we are still struggling overall. It's kind of sad that contributions are virtually flat though.

And 7 million is about double what it was 10 or so years ago.

Also, I'm doubting that student athletic passes went down in price, so its telling that students just don't give a fck anymore about attending athletic events on campus. Nowhere is that more evident than at home mbb games.

The CAF is a joke. I really wish someone would take ownership of it, but I feel like Moos et al were waiting for the magical/ mythical Uncle Phil to come along and solve all their woes, leaving the CAF to flounder.

Also, I'm doubting that student athletic passes went down in price, so its telling that students just don't give a fck anymore about attending athletic events on campus. Nowhere is that more evident than at home mbb games.

The CAF is a joke. I really wish someone would take ownership of it, but I feel like Moos et al were waiting for the magical/ mythical Uncle Phil to come along and solve all their woes, leaving the CAF to flounder.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

According to the database, contributions are actually flat from 10 years ago (WSU is #55 on the list if you want to check it). We bitch about the TV deals but when I looked up KSU on the list, WSU behind the Wildcats in revenue because of Ticket Sales and Contributions. KSU brought in $33 million in those two categories. WSU......$13 million. Our fans just need to be better fans. Less flag waving and more butts in the seat and dollars in donations. Of course, getting back to the theme of this thread, the deficit spending by Moos, unpopular as it might be to some, was necessary to jumpstart the football success that drives that fan support.

In many ways, 2018 is critical to that change. Based on our history, this season should finish with between 3 and 5 wins. Has Leach really transformed the program where those days are gone? I hope so. If WSU finishes with 8+ wins this year, a lot of the people who've been sitting on their hands are going to start to believe. Of course, a Pac-12 championship is needed to really break through.

Reactions: PatBaum

WSU is a brick by brick fundraising effort. Thinking you'll find the unicornmermaidpuffthemagicdragon donor with $100M waiting to give WSU is fools gold. Literally.

It is amazing to me how a farm school has zero idea how to plant and grow donors.

tenor.gif

Sure seems like it.

Remember,

While the "audit" covers chicken shiit stuff, that's clear, and I see an element of throwing Moos under the bus as political cover, you raise a false dichotomy attempting to defend a guy who utterly mismanaged WSU athletics. It wasn't a question of spending a fortune on facilities or be a MWC level program. The question is/was how best to take full advantage of the TV/Marketing revenue windfall we have received, even though it has been less than anticipated. Bill Moos would have been lauded, and every penny spent on facility upgrades praised, had revenues been boosted and recruiting improved significantly as a result. Had they, in a depressed P-12, we'd be a favorite to win the conference right now under Leach, the sole bright spot of the Moos era. But they have done jack all on both fronts ... and left us heavily in debt. The modest improvement in both areas result, in all likelihood, from Leach's genius and capacity to win with less and the fact that Paul Wulff was such a dumpster fire.

We spent as much on our FOB as UCLA did on theirs, but theirs was built in Westwood, where building costs are far higher (So their FOB doesn't have the bells and whistles ours does. But let’s not forget that their financial means far outstrips ours. They could/can afford to build it, fire Mora and hire Chip Kelly to replace him, fire Chip and hire someone to replace him.

We, on the other hand, have been left financially strapped. We can't afford to fire Ernie and can't enter into a bidding war to retain Leach - if he can find a suitor interested in him. If and when he leaves, the UW led legislature will put tremendous pressure on us to do it on the cheap. Pressure they couldn't have exerted had we been run on a black or balanced budget. Yes, improvements were needed, but more modest ones, more in line with those of UCLA and USC, would have left us in a far better financial position to maneuver, with Ernie, with Leach and his staff, and other deserving and undeserving coaches. Right now, we are house rich and penny poor, remaining the least competitive athletic program in the conference, top to bottom, and now forced to try and dig our way out of it on “hamburger helper” budgets, despite the revenue windfall.

Thanks Bill.

tenor.gif

Sure seems like it.

Remember,

Full disclosure: I'm not fully aware of the details of how this all came to light, but I'm doubting that this was "choreographed" by Schultz/Chun to make Moos look bad. As a state institution, WSU is required to be transparent on matters such as audits. Therefore, the school doesn't have a choice in making the findings public. I can't find a news release issued by the university and actually had to do some digging to find the 2018 quarterly status report of the Office of Internal Audits covering Jan-March which contains the audit on athletic tickets. I would think if Schultz/Chun really wanted to choreograph things, it would have included a news release or some other evidence of publicizing the audit more aggressively. From personal experience, I can tell you that reporters these days thrive on audits of state agencies and institutions, and will do what they can to make the findings look as bad as possible, often leaving out important context. I don't know if that was the case here, but again, I doubt that Schultz/Chun are going out of their way to make Moos look bad. I think the President & new AD are more interested in solving financial problems rather than affixing blame. I don't really get the negative feelings some Cougar fans have for those two guys, but they will certainly have to earn everyone's trust and should be given that chance.

My own personal opinion of the matter is that Moos is most guilty of hiring his friends and former associates at UO, and that those may not have been the best people to bring to Pullman (Ernie Kent, included). I also wish Moos had decided, if he had the choice, to stick around and finish the job at his alma mater of repaying the debt that has been incurred under his leadership.

Glad Cougar

Ticket Sales:

Contributions:

Rights/Licensing:

Student Fees:

School Funds:

Other:

Great stuff Flat, thanks!
This is intriguing - ticket sales barely went up from a 4-8 season (with 5 home games plus OSU in Seattle) to a 8-5 season with 7 home games? And a couple thousand new premium seats? Some of the premium/suite money must be included in another category (rights/licensing maybe). But still - that is striking. Might have to research that one some more.

The decline in University monies is also interesting. Must be more behind that as well. The contributions numbers are embarrasing. If we want to pick on Moos, we need look no further than that.

On the student fee piece, that does not look right. Quoting the article linked below, students are indeed tiring of the incessant requests from Athletics. But they are supporting it in several ways - so the stadium fees and sports passes are clearly classified somewhere else. FYI, the students voted for a $50/per fee to help fund Phase II many years ago. $50 x~20,000 Pullman students = $1,000,000. (Edit: this is $1,000,000 per year, not one time)

Daily Evergreen:
Athletics joined a number of other university groups in receiving a cut to its request from the committee earlier this month.

The department made a one-time request of more than $754,000, but the S&A Fee Committee decided to give it $659,848, according to the request and budget documents.

This cut was an effort to encourage athletics to ask for less in S&A fees, as the group has asked for a one-time request from the committee for multiple years, Garrett Kalt, former ASWSU vice president and S&A committee member, said.

The committee wants athletics to wane off S&A fees in an effort to consolidate its funding requests since the group already asks for funds in multiple ways, including S&A fees, stadium fees and sports passes, Kalt said.

Matt Kleffner, senior associate director of athletics and chief financial officer, said the department will begin asking for less from students once it starts turning a profit.

He also said athletics attempted to consolidate its fund requests with an attempted referendum the ASWSU Senate declined to put on the ballot, which would have replaced athletics’ S&A fee with a $265 mandatory yearly sports pass.

https://dailyevergreen.com/31447/news/sa-committee-works-to-reduce-requests/

Last edited:
Loyal, CougEd, Walden etc. want WSU to be bad so they can feel important. They don't like WSU winning games, building nice stadiums and operations building. They want 9-40. They love 9-40. Because it makes them all fuzzy when the school is reduced to being labeled losers so they can pretend that they are winners who know better.

Tron, you can go to hell. This is a complete falsehood. Are you 10 years old? F-you.

Ticket Sales:

Contributions:

Rights/Licensing:

Student Fees:

School Funds:

Other:

There are some serious concerns with the numbers you have quoted here. According to the NCAA attendance records, we had 221,722 attendance last year (EDIT: sorry not last year, in 2016. Last year was even higher attendance than what I've posted here). Averaged 31,675. In 2011, we had 172,746 total attendance with an average of 28,791. Lets give a ticket price average of $50 bucks... That's over 2.5 million dollars...

There's a couple other numbers that just don't make sense... Maybe it's all about how the numbers are being classified... I don't know but on it's face, these seem very fishy. Not a slam on you or anything you just found an article. But when I logically go through those... I don't know Flat.

Chun has been there two months. He didn't orchestrate anything related to a state edit: Internal audit. Those things take a boatload of time to conduct fieldwork and then write the report. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Upon reflection, a university president making, what, $700K+ per year and a wife make good coin as a professor at the same university....he's not going to do jack Sh*t with regard to influencing a edit: Internal audit of the athletic department. That is just absurd.

His job is to communicate to the Board of Regents that while there were issues in the AD in the past, there are tangible plans and timelines in place to get the findings fixed.

Edit: Incorrectly used the word 'state' instead of internal - but same concept. The internals are used pro-actively so that when the state comes poking around and doing their job, the institution can point to pro-active measures to address deficiencies. And, there's STILL not a chance in hell a state employee doing the internal audit is going to falsify or exaggerate such matters. They like their paycheck as much as the next guy and there's hell to pay if the state auditor comes in and discovers cover-up, biased reports or flat untruths.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasichus
Moos maxed out the credit card on good facility investments for football and an awful hire for basketball. Then he skipped town when it came time to pay. The regents and the late Elson Floyd also have a hand in this and should not be let off the hook.

This is the simple truth.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

According to the database, contributions are actually flat from 10 years ago (WSU is #55 on the list if you want to check it). We bitch about the TV deals but when I looked up KSU on the list, WSU behind the Wildcats in revenue because of Ticket Sales and Contributions. KSU brought in $33 million in those two categories. WSU......$13 million. Our fans just need to be better fans. Less flag waving and more butts in the seat and dollars in donations. Of course, getting back to the theme of this thread, the deficit spending by Moos, unpopular as it might be to some, was necessary to jumpstart the football success that drives that fan support.

In many ways, 2018 is critical to that change. Based on our history, this season should finish with between 3 and 5 wins. Has Leach really transformed the program where those days are gone? I hope so. If WSU finishes with 8+ wins this year, a lot of the people who've been sitting on their hands are going to start to believe. Of course, a Pac-12 championship is needed to really break through.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. I was in the room with most of the AD administration before the CAF even existed and the numbers were in the $4M range. It might have been around 2005 or so, but I said 10 years or so.

The whole idea behind the CAF and where we were moving was donor engagement, and it worked enough to get the numbers up to where they are now - although getting CML on board has no doubt helped as well. But to give you an idea of where their headspace was back then - we were having a meeting to brainstorm ways to increase giving and the donor base and I suggested giving back; I had just seen a car with a window cling for the ducks and suggested that might be a cool and cheap way to give back to the donors and give them a sense of ownership and pride - they stared at me like I had two heads and couldn't see how spending a little bit might keep people engaged. THAT is what the culture was like at WSU.

WSU treats athletic giving like a PTO bake sale, whereas I guarantee you other schools treat it like a multi-million dollar business - because it is. Until WSU takes it seriously and invests the necessary resources we won't be running with the big dogs.

There are some serious concerns with the numbers you have quoted here. According to the NCAA attendance records, we had 221,722 attendance last year (EDIT: sorry not last year, in 2016. Last year was even higher attendance than what I've posted here). Averaged 31,675. In 2011, we had 172,746 total attendance with an average of 28,791. Lets give a ticket price average of $50 bucks... That's over 2.5 million dollars...

There's a couple other numbers that just don't make sense... Maybe it's all about how the numbers are being classified... I don't know but on it's face, these seem very fishy. Not a slam on you or anything you just found an article. But when I logically go through those... I don't know Flat.

Upon reflection, a university president making, what, $700K+ per year and a wife make good coin as a professor at the same university....he's not going to do jack Sh*t with regard to influencing a edit: Internal audit of the athletic department. That is just absurd.

His job is to communicate to the Board of Regents that while there were issues in the AD in the past, there are tangible plans and timelines in place to get the findings fixed.

Edit: Incorrectly used the word 'state' instead of internal - but same concept. The internals are used pro-actively so that when the state comes poking around and doing their job, the institution can point to pro-active measures to address deficiencies. And, there's STILL not a chance in hell a state employee doing the internal audit is going to falsify or exaggerate such matters. They like their paycheck as much as the next guy and there's hell to pay if the state auditor comes in and discovers cover-up, biased reports or flat untruths.

This and this (above). Nice posts, guys. Comments:
95man - yeah the numbers seem quite strange (although in 2016 I guess we have to factor in Marlow's lies about attendance). Maybe the entire luxury/loge section is classified elsewhere (at least the premium donations, etc). If nothing else maybe it illustrates Athletics' crappy record keeping.

Observer. Exactly right. The entire premise of this thread is, as I stated previously, infantile. They are not trying to bash Moos. They are just stating facts. I happen to know WSU's internal auditor. Her report reflects standard procedure regardless of the topic or department. And yes, these things take a lot of time.

(I think) this is kind of funny - a little cut and paste from today's Spokesman article on the internal audit.

WSU auditors initially focused on complimentary tickets for a home football game against Arizona in 2016. They found that Cougar Athletics Compliance Office wasn’t told who received free tickets, a violation which could result in NCAA penalties. In one case, four premium club seats for the Arizona game were given away to “cultivate donors.” (LC: side note - how come these these seats were unused anyway? I thought the luxury/loge boxes are sold out? Apparently not. Something to consider next time we have a thread about expanding premium seating vs building the endzone/Busch Light beer deck)

“We put people up there in unused seats to encourage them to purchase seats,” former athletic director Bill Moos said earlier Thursday from Nebraska. However, the department was unable to say who received those free tickets, the audit found.
(LC: C'mon, really? Perhaps the truth is "we gave some great tickets to some of our beer buddies who are too cheap to buy their own. Kind of like how I am too cheap to donate to Athletics myself, but thanks for the $650K/year" - Bill Moos)

The audit also found the IMG contract was improperly amended, in some cases verbally, by athletics staff. WSU has contracted with IMG since 2006. (LC: Hmm, bears some resemblance to rollover coaching contracts)

WSU does not require ethics training for athletics department employees, a point made in the audit and reinforced Thursday by Chief Audit Executive Heather Lopez.
Several regents responded by suggesting ethics testing for all athletic department employees.
(LC: Ya think? Although just the fact that you think you need to teach an entire department how to be ethical is sort of a problem)

Regent Lura Powell proposed an online test with a set of open-ended questions. Offering the example of the federal government, Powell questioned whether officials, “moving from other environments where certain things are acceptable,” shouldn’t be tested.
(LC: Other environments, like... the University of Nike?)

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/may/04/allegations-of-mismanagement-lack-of-accountabilit/

Yeah, I'm on Pete's and others side of the coin many times but you guys are off on this one. This kind of thing does nothing for Chun or Schultz. This creates problems and headaches. Now gauging how big of problems this really is, is the deal. There are violations but I don't know how severe in the grand scheme. I don't know how frequent these kinds of situations are in the NCAA world. I have no basis for judging.

But sorry guys. I sat on this one for a while, thought about it, and I just don't see a motive for "mudslinging" or throwing anyone under the bus. This reflects badly on the school and could damage the school. Chun and Schultz isn't going to be jumping up and down over this stuff. It's going to make their job harder.

Edited. In other news, Celtics and Baynesie won last night, next game 2PM on Saturday. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: M-I-Coug
Agreed- don't take the poor starving kid down for make a couple bucks. Holy smokes. Delete that.

And I notice you still went ahead and bought the sweet tickets despite your moral dilemma. Maybe sit in on the AD ethics training.
It still shows up in the quoted part of two other posts - they will need to delete or just wait for a Wulff sub-thread to start up so the whole thing gets nuked.

I won the mega lottery recent and made some nice expensive purchases...if you know what I mean.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. I was in the room with most of the AD administration before the CAF even existed and the numbers were in the $4M range. It might have been around 2005 or so, but I said 10 years or so.

The whole idea behind the CAF and where we were moving was donor engagement, and it worked enough to get the numbers up to where they are now - although getting CML on board has no doubt helped as well. But to give you an idea of where their headspace was back then - we were having a meeting to brainstorm ways to increase giving and the donor base and I suggested giving back; I had just seen a car with a window cling for the ducks and suggested that might be a cool and cheap way to give back to the donors and give them a sense of ownership and pride - they stared at me like I had two heads and couldn't see how spending a little bit might keep people engaged. THAT is what the culture was like at WSU.

WSU treats athletic giving like a PTO bake sale, whereas I guarantee you other schools treat it like a multi-million dollar business - because it is. Until WSU takes it seriously and invests the necessary resources we won't be running with the big dogs.

You have to spend money to make money. WSU would be well served to fire their entire fundraising team and hire people from schools that know what they're doing. Get some fresh ideas in the room and grow from there. Do what you've always done, get what you've always gotten.

You have to spend money to make money. WSU would be well served to fire their entire fundraising team and hire people from schools that know what they're doing. Get some fresh ideas in the room and grow from there. Do what you've always done, get what you've always gotten.

As smart as you are, why'd you ever hang out with D&D and Loiled?

Pete, thanks for the post, which is far superior in terms of reason and intelligence than that other thread.

tenor.gif

Sure seems like it.

Remember,

No William Moos, none of this.....,,,

When Martin Stadium is packed and rocking and the team is winning... There is not 1 f*cking school in America that is a better time!!! WSU is the best kept secret on the West Coast. I only hope that one day WSU finds leadership talented enough to spread the Gospel of Coug and fulfill the potential of the university.

If you are looking for a "college experience," WSU is it.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Yes WSU was a great" college experience" and i was in grad school. I suspect that my son who received his BS degree will soon be going there. So far,i like what the new AD is doing.

No William Moos, none of this.....,,,

Odd. There have been electric moments and traditions in Martin before Bill Moos and there will be electric moments and traditions in Martin long after he has gone.

To say "None of this" implies WSU, its culture, its tradition is because of Bill Moos and that's simply not true. There are thousands of people who have made it so.

Moos deserves credit for right place, right time. But there were 11 other AD's involved in TV money negotiations. The urban myth is "none of this" happens without Moos. He was in the room. He had input. But so did 11 other ADs. "This" doesn't happen without TV money, plain and simple. And TV money was plentiful throughout the entire country. It wasn't a phenomenon exclusive to WSU or reliant on Bill Moos.

Moos had a job. He got paid handsomely for it. Some parts of it he did well. Some he flat out sucked at and failed miserably. Let's not make him out to be some greater messiah than that. In turn, it's not fair to brand him as some sort of miscreant incompetent.

Odd. There have been electric moments and traditions in Martin before Bill Moos and there will be electric moments and traditions in Martin long after he has gone.

To say "None of this" implies WSU, its culture, its tradition is because of Bill Moos and that's simply not true. There are thousands of people who have made it so.

Moos deserves credit for right place, right time. But there were 11 other AD's involved in TV money negotiations. The urban myth is "none of this" happens without Moos. He was in the room. He had input. But so did 11 other ADs. "This" doesn't happen without TV money, plain and simple. And TV money was plentiful throughout the entire country. It wasn't a phenomenon exclusive to WSU or reliant on Bill Moos.

Moos had a job. He got paid handsomely for it. Some parts of it he did well. Some he flat out sucked at and failed miserably. Let's not make him out to be some greater messiah than that. In turn, it's not fair to brand him as some sort of miscreant incompetent.

I don't think he was a messiah. I think he walked into a room full of conference ADs with respect and influence ahead of him. Something that no recent WSU AD has had. No longer were other schools gonna take what WSU leadership had to say with a grain of salt or even ignore them altogether. Don't be fooled. There is a pecking order of influence in ADs in the room. Do you really think anyone gave two flying shitz what Jim Sterk had to say??? I don't.

Moos brought more to WSU then right place and right time.

ADVERTISEMENT