ADVERTISEMENT

SC's recruiting woes

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Laziness, lack of success and other issues cause mass defections among highly rated recruits...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-football-recruiting-20190201-story.html

Partial Thumbnail: SC's traditional arrogance, combined with lazy early recruit identification, leads to a scramble as the early signing period scoops up many of the kids they would have poached at the last minute in previous years. And lack of success opens the door for SEC teams.

Laziness, lack of success and other issues cause mass defections among highly rated recruits...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-football-recruiting-20190201-story.html

Partial Thumbnail: SC's traditional arrogance, combined with lazy early recruit identification, leads to a scramble as the early signing period scoops up many of the kids they would have poached at the last minute in previous years. And lack of success opens the door for SEC teams.

What are the USC spending their time on? Chasing cheerleaders?

Partial Thumbnail: SC's traditional arrogance, combined with lazy early recruit identification, leads to a scramble as the early signing period scoops up many of the kids they would have poached at the last minute in previous years. And lack of succTess opens the door for SEC teams.

Other than Conway and Claiborne, how many other former USC players are high school coaches in the L.A. area? I realize it's not a violation of NCAA rules, since they are officially "coaches," but I find it funny they still can't win these kids over. They essentially suck at recruiting.

Kids see Helton for what he is. Coach T’s brother.

Helton is the worst thing to happen to SC.

Makes me wonder what UCLA is doing. They should be out selling their new coach, optimism, opportunity to play right away, generally capitalizing on SC’s poor performance. Instead, the SEC shows up.

Kids are looking for a lottery ticket. Oregon laid out the blue print on how to get top talent out of SoCal. SEC has the $$$$$.

I think Chip is pushing the recruiting in the right direction, but how HARD they are working, of that I'm unsure. I suspect that next year's class will answer that question. By next year's class Chip will have had ample opportunity to work the network, evaluate, observe, see kids, etc. Either UCLA will take advantage of this God-given opportunity to clean up locally or they will piss it away.

The ball, as they say, is in the Bruin's court. Time will tell whether they do anything with that ball.

I think Chip is pushing the recruiting in the right direction, but how HARD they are working, of that I'm unsure. I suspect that next year's class will answer that question. By next year's class Chip will have had ample opportunity to work the network, evaluate, observe, see kids, etc. Either UCLA will take advantage of this God-given opportunity to clean up locally or they will piss it away.

The ball, as they say, is in the Bruin's court. Time will tell whether they do anything with that ball.

UCLA's recruiting (at least ranking) is pretty bad, considering the school's inherent advantages and the big name new coach. We'll see what happens for 2020, but 2019 certainly looks disappointing.

https://ucla.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

UCLA's recruiting (at least ranking) is pretty bad, considering the school's inherent advantages and the big name new coach. We'll see what happens for 2020, but 2019 certainly looks disappointing.

https://ucla.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

The chipster tried to explain UCLA's relatively small number of offers as being due to rigorous entrance requirements. I suppose that's better than saying, "Hey, I'm fat, lazy, and I'm a millionaire many times over!"

The chipster tried to explain UCLA's relatively small number of offers as being due to rigorous entrance requirements. I suppose that's better than saying, "Hey, I'm fat, lazy, and I'm a millionaire many times over!"

Rigorous entrance requirements? Unless the admin cracked the whip on special admits, that's just total BS.

I think reality is that the Chipster over-estimated his name and UCLA's local appeal, and he missed on a lot of kids he offered prior to the first LOI day. I have to believe that he was blindsided by some of the losses a week or two before the day, because he had to go to several back up plan kids at that point. His class of 15 that signed was one 4* and 14 ***. While none of the kids look bad, it was clear they were the plan B kids. And he didn't even have enough plan B kids scoped out, because he was short after the first signing day (only 15 signed), and after that day most of the other kids he had looked at were apparently gone to other schools. I had thought that Chip was pretty bright, but he badly mis-played the new dual LOI date change. Again, I think we wait until next season. USC will still be walking wounded, UCLA may very well beat them for the 2nd year in a row, and if UCLA has been hitting the bricks and at the very least working the LA basin hard, Chip should be able to sign the bulk of his class the first time around next year. If he doesn't, then he is not ignorant...he is stupid....because repeating the same mistake twice is a clear sign of stupidity.

I think reality is that the Chipster over-estimated his name and UCLA's local appeal, and he missed on a lot of kids he offered prior to the first LOI day. I have to believe that he was blindsided by some of the losses a week or two before the day, because he had to go to several back up plan kids at that point. His class of 15 that signed was one 4* and 14 ***. While none of the kids look bad, it was clear they were the plan B kids. And he didn't even have enough plan B kids scoped out, because he was short after the first signing day (only 15 signed), and after that day most of the other kids he had looked at were apparently gone to other schools. I had thought that Chip was pretty bright, but he badly mis-played the new dual LOI date change. Again, I think we wait until next season. USC will still be walking wounded, UCLA may very well beat them for the 2nd year in a row, and if UCLA has been hitting the bricks and at the very least working the LA basin hard, Chip should be able to sign the bulk of his class the first time around next year. If he doesn't, then he is not ignorant...he is stupid....because repeating the same mistake twice is a clear sign of stupidity.

Or maybe his bagman wasn’t available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT