ADVERTISEMENT

SEC/Pac-12 Commissioners to DC

Rich Lewis

Hall Of Fame
Nov 7, 2001
Sankey and Kliavkoff heading to DC to talk to senators about fixing NIL. Expecting congress and/or the NCAA, two of the most inept institutions ever, to fix NIL is pie in the sky. Ten years from now they'll still be scratching their heads. It seems to me the P5 commissioners could get together and fix this by outlawing pay-to-play, which is not NIL. I continue to think only the highest level athletes will profit from true NIL and the money would not approach pay-to-play money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug4life34
Ten years from now they'll still be scratching their heads.

Damn I need an editor!
There is an option to edit your post.

Also, I don't want congress involved in college football. The NCAA and P5 commissioners need to get together and fix this themselves.

Sankey and Kliavkoff heading to DC to talk to senators about fixing NIL. Expecting congress and/or the NCAA, two of the most inept institutions ever, to fix NIL is pie in the sky. Ten years from now they'll still be scratching their heads. It seems to me the P5 commissioners could get together and fix this by outlawing pay-to-play, which is not NIL. I continue to think only the highest level athletes will profit from true NIL and the money would not approach pay-to-play money.

Just wondering your thoughts on ways to separate the 2 and how to regulate it. I agree with you, but there just seems to be so many work arounds.

There is an option to edit your post.

Also, I don't want congress involved in college football. The NCAA and P5 commissioners need to get together and fix this themselves.
I think that ship has sailed. They should have done this a long time ago. They dropped the ball, a huge one right on the feet of the fans..

Reactions: TrumpCoug
I think that ship has sailed. They should have done this a long time ago. They dropped the ball, a huge one right on the feet of the fans..
So have big daddy come in and spank their little bottoms?

No. They made the mess, they get to clean it up, and if that means most of it goes away then so be it. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time with college football and basketball becoming d-leagues for the pro's. Nothing said the NCAA had to let the NIL be the wild-west, they chose to let it be that way. I said it before and I'll say it again - I won't be sad if the whole thing implodes and college athletics goes away for a while until they figure it out.

So have big daddy come in and spank their little bottoms?

No. They made the mess, they get to clean it up, and if that means most of it goes away then so be it. The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time with college football and basketball becoming d-leagues for the pro's. Nothing said the NCAA had to let the NIL be the wild-west, they chose to let it be that way. I said it before and I'll say it again - I won't be sad if the whole thing implodes and college athletics goes away for a while until they figure it out.
I don’t want it to go away… I would be toooo bored, but I think significant change is coming and needed. We will see if they have the sacks to step up get it done..Otherwise congress will definitely be peaking around…

Inept and corrupt institutions.

Just wondering your thoughts on ways to separate the 2 and how to regulate it. I agree with you, but there just seems to be so many work arounds.
To me getting paid for NIL means some entity uses a players NIL for things like advertising or in a video game where the entity derives some benefit in exchange for using the players NIL. Pay-to-Play on the other hand is when a booster, booster(s) or anyone pays a player to come to a school or transfer to a school but there is no NIL involved. That is not the intent of NIL and is, or should be, outlawed. I have no problem with NIL. If someone puts a players mug on a billboard the player should be paid.

Reactions: Coug4life34
To me getting paid for NIL means some entity uses a players NIL for things like advertising or in a video game where the entity derives some benefit in exchange for using the players NIL. Pay-to-Play on the other hand is when a booster, booster(s) or anyone pays a player to come to a school or transfer to a school but there is no NIL involved. That is not the intent of NIL and is, or should be, outlawed. I have no problem with NIL. If someone puts a players mug on a billboard the player should be paid.
Agreed. My only wonder is how you set a rule to decipher between a player getting $500k to have his NIL used on signing a football helmet… How do you legislate whether the person recording the helmet derived 500k worth of benefit.. It seems to me that’s an easy work around and would be difficult to police.. Is the solution that NIL deals can only come from legitimate businesses with a tax history? I’m unsure. If I want a player to come to my school. I pay him $500k to put his face on a bunch of towels that get sold or given away at the games.. I feel as though that should still be pay to play, but very difficult to separate..

Agreed. My only wonder is how you set a rule to decipher between a player getting $500k to have his NIL used on signing a football helmet… How do you legislate whether the person recording the helmet derived 500k worth of benefit.. It seems to me that’s an easy work around and would be difficult to police.. Is the solution that NIL deals can only come from legitimate businesses with a tax history? I’m unsure. If I want a player to come to my school. I pay him $500k to put his face on a bunch of towels that get sold or given away at the games.. I feel as though that should still be pay to play, but very difficult to separate..
Even that wouldn't work. Most donors with real money are businesspeople or, at minimum, have some entities holding assets and serving a business function. Even if I just have a rental house in an LLC, who's to say I don't want Johnny Five Star to be in a Facebook ad for the rental for $1m? Who decides whether or not that is a "bona fide promotion," or whatever other criterion they might try to come up with? And that is an intentionally ridiculous example. Most of the cases would be much grayer, with big shot boosters with businesses / companies who could claim there was legitimate promotional intent.

The day NIL became real, I said it was a massive hole that would be direct pay-for-play, tossing out an example like Phil Knight putting every scholarship player on a billboard in Eugene and paying them $250k, or whatever he wanted, for that purpose, with various permutations available from there (just starters, etc.). Even if they somehow found a way to limit it to current players, even that would in effect be a recruiting inducement that would be tantamount to pay-for-play since the recruit would know that Phil Knight paid all the active players, so if the player signs there, he gets paid, even if that had to wait until he was on campus.

I was assured that was crazy, smart businesspeople don't make foolish promotional decisions, this was just to get kids a couple hundred bucks here and there, etc. Nope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT