ADVERTISEMENT

Should WSU and Oregon State turn their series into a trophy game?

That particular sponsorship would be more appropriate if it involved SDSU playing UTEP. It would even involve at least two different cartels, for added rivalry.
True. But....the 3,000 tents in downtown Seattle is 98% addiction. Portland, Bay Area, LA, and you name it.
Doesn't fit Pullman, or Corvallis. Agreed.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Interesting direction in which this thread has turned. That is probably the thing I like best about this site; you never know what will be discussed.

I see two viable future energy forms that are available to develop now; fuel cells and nuclear. I expected fuel cells to be at their current development 15 years ago; not really sure why it is taking so long. For nuclear, we have to diminish the waste similar to how France does it, then dispose of the last of it off-planet (the issues with on-planet disposal are well known). A capsule to the sun seems like the best approach, and all things considered, it is probably the most cost-effective solution. It also maintains funding for space research, which is something in which I see some value. Past history demonstrates that you can't trust a private entity to run a nuke plant; I would only buy in if it were run by the Navy, who has long & continuous experience with training people to safely run nuke reactors.

Solar has timing limitations. It is good for shaving peak demand during the day; it already does that in California, where subsidized solar has been a big industry for many years. The power companies here have had to shift their demand structure to charging peak rates in late afternoon/early evening, since due to solar they no longer have peak power plant demand during the noon-4:00 pm window. There is also the matter of solar panel recycling; we know how to do that, but the infrastructure that will be required is not in place to match the boom in solar panel installation over the past decade. Solar is a "day time only" part of the solution unless you want to massively produce more batteries, and the ecological & political cost of that is already severe. There are mechanical power storage solutions; the simplest of which involves pumping water to some elevated storage during the day and letting its flow back down at night run turbines. That is probably a better long term concept than massive battery farms.

Wind is almost a joke. Super high maintenance, very high first cost, and nobody runs wind farms other than for super peak demand periods as a result, unless their operation is politically mandated. They usually sit idle here. Their only real plus is that in many places, wind tends to be most available at the times when solar is not, so there is some timing advantage.

Tidal power generation is not without some appeal, but we are talking massive infrastructure requirements and relatively high maintenance. The maintenance is probably no worse than a conventional power plant, but it is probably equivalent.

Fusion has some long term appeal, but the R&D still required puts that out in the distance in terms of practicality.

Finally, there are the technologies to remove greenhouse gasses from the air. Obviously this is going to be central to any solution, and significant effort needs to be going in this direction.
Fuel cells and nuclear seem like the most viable, most bang for the buck long term. But they're not going to move forward very fast until the regulatory and commercial obstacles get out of the way.

Solar could become more viable if someone could figure out how to miniaturize utility-scale battery storage. You could argue that the same makes wind more viable, but wind is so inefficient, maintenance-heavy, and has such an impact on the ground that solar is a better option. There's potential in small hydro that's either pumped to storage like you mentioned, or is more run-of-the-river, but nuke or fuel cells would easily eclipse that. And of course, if someone could make fusion viable that would eliminate virtually everything else overnight.

Something's going to have to move forward soon, our demand for energy isn't going to go down.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
True. But....the 3,000 tents in downtown Seattle is 98% addiction. Portland, Bay Area, LA, and you name it.
Doesn't fit Pullman, or Corvallis. Agreed.
The number is extremely sad but not 98%. It isn't a homeless problem as you suggest in Seattle, it is a drug problem. A friend is on a panel to combat the problem. They told me prior to covid (so my numbers at this point could be inaccurate) is that probably 80-85% of the homelessness is due to a drug problem. 15% is either due to down and out, or mental illness.

But we have to dig into how this drug problem came to be and how to stem the tide and maybe hold those accountable who created the drug problem.

The number is extremely sad but not 98%. It isn't a homeless problem as you suggest in Seattle, it is a drug problem. A friend is on a panel to combat the problem. They told me prior to covid (so my numbers at this point could be inaccurate) is that probably 80-85% of the homelessness is due to a drug problem. 15% is either due to down and out, or mental illness.

But we have to dig into how this drug problem came to be and how to stem the tide and maybe hold those accountable who created the drug problem.
Ed, I kind of call BS on this. When I was living in Olympia a few years ago, there was a news report on the out of control homeless community there. They interviewed these two barely 20-something chicks who said they preferred that lifestyle. Geezus - when my daughter was that age she was about to graduate from WSU. Lazy worthless kids IMHO.

Ed, I kind of call BS on this. When I was living in Olympia a few years ago, there was a news report on the out of control homeless community there. They interviewed these two barely 20-something chicks who said they preferred that lifestyle. Geezus - when my daughter was that age she was about to graduate from WSU. Lazy worthless kids IMHO.
I can offer a few factoids that might help.

I've been involved in the East San Gabriel Valley Coalition for the Homeless for a long time. That covers the area of the LA basin just east of LA: roughly from Monterey Park to Pomona. A mixed area, but predominantly working class suburbs with some upper end suburbs, some manufacturing and a few barrios thrown in. Back when the volunteer head of their medical outreach effort (an Azusa Pacific nursing prof) was a friend, I had all the current stats. This data is about 10 years old, but I'm told it has not changed much. The estimate for our area was that more or less 65-70% were mentally impaired, substance abusers, or both. The "both" represented over 40% (about 2/3 of that group), because mental illness often leads to self medication, which can get out of control rather quickly. Of the remaining 30-35-ish%, 10-15% were folks living in their cars or a tent because they had always been on the edge economically and then lost their job or had some other calamity that pushed them out of their apartment. Another 10-15% were the hard core homeless that were more or less fully functional but simply wanted to live off the grid and could not be persuaded otherwise. A few were illegal migrants, but that was surprisingly few, and that in an area where there were plenty of them, so I consider that population segment to be almost negligible in terms of the homeless issue. A few were runaway kids or abused women, which had chosen to leave (or escape) for a variety of reasons. The rest were a hodge-podge of folks.

Both the medical outreach coordinator here and my sister who has been a social worker/counselor in E WA/N ID for most of her career agree that the number one thing to do is address the mental health issue. Hard to do when enforced confinement is so difficult, but that is where we need to start if we are to get any traction. For about 5 years my sister worked in Coeur d'Alene as a social worker for those on the edge. The state of Idaho reasoned that it was cheaper to do what ever they could to keep folks in independent housing, so my sister had 10 clients. She spent a half day with each one, once per week. She helped them balance their check book, sort out problems with the landlord and neighbors, make sure their bills were on track to be paid, and MOST IMPORTANT: check the status of their taking of their meds. Of course, some would fake that or blow it off when she left, but very few did that. They were usually in a position to understand that they would be on the street if they did that again (most had done it before), and being seen once per week to help with life skills and getting some phone calls during the week helped a lot. My sister said she lost only 2 clients to the street in that 5 year period, but she also said she had the best record in her office. I have to tip my hat to Idaho for at least that one decision, because we saw it be effective. I don't know if they are still doing that, but they were as of about 8 years ago.

First we need legislation in place to make street homelessness illegal and a system where we can triage the homeless population based on need. Rehabilitation or mental health care. If you don't consent to either of these options and you're picked up 3 times for street vagrancy, you go to prison.

It's not as complicated as it's made out to be. You cannot live on the streets.

I've been involved in the East San Gabriel Valley Coalition for the Homeless for a long time. That covers the area of the LA basin just east of LA: roughly from Monterey Park to Pomona. A mixed area, but predominantly working class suburbs with some upper end suburbs, some manufacturing and a few barrios thrown in. Back when the volunteer head of their medical outreach effort (an Azusa Pacific nursing prof) was a friend, I had all the current stats. This data is about 10 years old, but I'm told it has not changed much. The estimate for our area was that more or less 65-70% were mentally impaired, substance abusers, or both. The "both" represented over 40% (about 2/3 of that group), because mental illness often leads to self medication, which can get out of control rather quickly. Of the remaining 30-35-ish%, 10-15% were folks living in their cars or a tent because they had always been on the edge economically and then lost their job or had some other calamity that pushed them out of their apartment. Another 10-15% were the hard core homeless that were more or less fully functional but simply wanted to live off the grid and could not be persuaded otherwise. A few were illegal migrants, but that was surprisingly few, and that in an area where there were plenty of them, so I consider that population segment to be almost negligible in terms of the homeless issue. A few were runaway kids or abused women, which had chosen to leave (or escape) for a variety of reasons. The rest were a hodge-podge of folks.

Both the medical outreach coordinator here and my sister who has been a social worker/counselor in E WA/N ID for most of her career agree that the number one thing to do is address the mental health issue. Hard to do when enforced confinement is so difficult, but that is where we need to start if we are to get any traction. For about 5 years my sister worked in Coeur d'Alene as a social worker for those on the edge. The state of Idaho reasoned that it was cheaper to do what ever they could to keep folks in independent housing, so my sister had 10 clients. She spent a half day with each one, once per week. She helped them balance their check book, sort out problems with the landlord and neighbors, make sure their bills were on track to be paid, and MOST IMPORTANT: check the status of their taking of their meds. Of course, some would fake that or blow it off when she left, but very few did that. They were usually in a position to understand that they would be on the street if they did that again (most had done it before), and being seen once per week to help with life skills and getting some phone calls during the week helped a lot. My sister said she lost only 2 clients to the street in that 5 year period, but she also said she had the best record in her office. I have to tip my hat to Idaho for at least that one decision, because we saw it be effective. I don't know if they are still doing that, but they were as of about 8 years ago.
I don’t question any of that, but what’s with the proliferation? For a while the reasoning seemed to be that the homeless were heading to the cities and becoming more concentrated. There may be an element of that, but it doesn’t explain it…because they’re not just in the cities. It’s pretty clear that there are just more of them.

I don’t question any of that, but what’s with the proliferation? For a while the reasoning seemed to be that the homeless were heading to the cities and becoming more concentrated. There may be an element of that, but it doesn’t explain it…because they’re not just in the cities. It’s pretty clear that there are just more of them.
95, you have put your finger on the best question of the thread.

IMHO, the answers are mostly to do with more people with drug/substance abuse problems and added mental health issues that were accelerated by Covid social issues. People talk a lot about there being less of a family safety net, and that is true, but that mostly applies to people who are too out of control for their families to keep them...and that is mostly substance abuse and mental health issues.

There is no quick fix that fits all.

Ultimately it starts in the home with parenting, but not every kid has a good home, parents, and not all good intentioned parents, parent good, and even those who do parent good, their kids have freedom of choice to do bad.

So more parental support, education, etc, from schools, teachers, society, government, religions, etc.

And things like gangs, cartels, etc, are a problem, so maybe either legalize things like pot, and only criminalize worst drugs, etc, and learn from 1929 PROHIBITION, or find a way to deal with it.

And things like TV, movies, games, music, peer pressure from friends, makes drugs sound cool, so need to try to stop those sources from influencing kids, people from doing drugs.

And more education, FCC regulation, etc, is needed for that.

And then life's trials, pressures can help lead people to doing drugs, so people need more education, support, counseling, etc, so that they turn to friends, family, God, etc, instead of turning to drugs to cope, deal with things.

And part of the problem is poverty, environment, etc, so need to not only do handouts, typical liberal based government stuff, but need to have people be more VOLUNTARY charitable, and teach people how to fish, and create more opportunity, and stop taxing, etc, people to death, so that they have more money to voluntary give to charity, start businesses, create jobs, go-to college, educate themselves and educate other people etc.

Now that's a lot.

But basically it condensed, boils down to:

Culture, Attitude.

And the right culture, attitude is:

God altho HE occasionally does literally take people out of slums, trials, despair, needs, etc, most often God teaches, loves, uplifts, empowers, enables, helps, etc, so that THEY ARE ABLE TO TAKE THEMSELVES OUT OF SLUMS, NEED, ETC, AND THEN TAKE THEMSELVES OUT OF SLUMS, NEED.

And altho God can do that without people, God usually does that through people.

For those that are not religious, then we need to follow God's example in doing that.

And that's basically the Gospel, and that Gospel is needed as the thing that will solve those problems.

For those that not religious, not Christian, or that don't think religious references are appropriate here, then doing the basic values, principles, morality, ethics, etc, of God, Gospel, is what will solve the problem.

But part of the problem is that people, society, etc, are resistant to those basic, fundamental values, principles, morality, ethics, etc, that would, will fix, deal with this, these problem(s).

Ultimately society, etc, have the freedom of choice whether to do the things that will solve the problem or not.

And it can be done.

One only has to look at North Dakotah, that has the lowest taxes, least amount of government regulation, laws, etc, that has the lowest drug rate, lowest crime rate, lowest homeless rate, highest charity rate, best economy, lowest unemployed rate, highest non minimum wage, wage, best standard of living, some of the best schools, etc.

There is a reason why Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakotah, the HEARTLAND of America, etc, is doing so well compared to places like LA, Chicago, New York, etc.

Mental health is an issue. But not everybody is born with mental health issues. And there are preventable things that can cause mental health issues.

Also I think that liberals, and a lot of this data comes from colleges full of liberals, SJW's doing these studies, research, data mining, are either having their data semi wrong, misleading, semi wrong conclusions, semi exaggerated, semi faulty studies, research, semi wrong methodology, etc.

While there is a lot of Mental Health, I don't think it's as high as that. And there are a lot of people that while they didn't choose homelessness, might have a little mental health problems, lost their job, etc, a lot of those lose hope, start to despair, then quit trying to not be homeless, and then start to be comfortable being homeless, then like being homeless, then gradually become lazy, etc.

Take my experience in Spokane.

I picked a bucket of blackberries for the House of Charity homeless, by the Spokane River Riverside.

They loved the berries. They asked for more. I told them they could easily take a 15 to 30 minute walk and pick their own, get more, and where, how to do that.

They told me that was too far to walk, would take too much time.

They were lazy. They wanted someone to just give it to them, instead of EASILY getting it themselves.

And it's not just that example. That's TYPICAL, of at least half homeless people, if not more.

Also thanks to a crazy roommate trying crazily trying to beat me up and having to defend myself, which led to a black eye for roommate, and led to me getting a restraining order, getting kicked out, I was temporarily homeless, and had a lot of homeless friends, and about half homeless were either lazy or given up, and about 33% had mental health problems, and about 33% had drug problems, and 33% were lazy or given up.

First we need legislation in place to make street homelessness illegal and a system where we can triage the homeless population based on need. Rehabilitation or mental health care. If you don't consent to either of these options and you're picked up 3 times for street vagrancy, you go to prison.

It's not as complicated as it's made out to be. You cannot live on the streets.

Criminalizing homelessness is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

And it's almost unenforceable as how going to prove, know who is homeless.

And it would take to much resources to enforce a anti homeless law that would criminalize homelessness.

And prisons are full enough as is without putting homeless people into prison.

Also to combat the mental health part of homelessness, there is a legal process already in existence to have a person committed on grounds of their mental health, and then having the police grab that person who is homeless, off the streets and institutionalizing them.

If you passed such a anti homeless law criminalizing homelessness, it would get shot down in courts for being unconstitutional.

Spokane has had every one of these laws that it has passed shot down, overturned, by the courts.

Your idea, you, etc, is just as bad as what the Spokane govt keeps doing in passing these anti homeless laws that criminalize homelessness, that keep getting overturned by the courts.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG

There is a reason why you don't find as big a homeless rate per capita in North Dakotah, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and it has nothing to do with being concentrated in big cities, or Wyoming being smaller, etc.

It's the VALUES, principles, ethics, morals, politics, etc, of places like Wyoming that has Wyoming, etc, among the least homeless per capita.

The sooner big cities do it Wyoming's, etc's way the sooner they will fix their homeless problems

There is a reason why you don't find as big a homeless rate per capita in North Dakotah, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and it has nothing to do with being concentrated in big cities, or Wyoming being smaller, etc.

It's the VALUES, principles, ethics, morals, politics, etc, of places like Wyoming that has Wyoming, etc, among the least homeless per capita.

The sooner big cities do it Wyoming's, etc's way the sooner they will fix their homeless problems
Says the guy who doesn't even have a car to get to a Coug game. And Wyoming and its values? Ever hear of Matthew Shepard?

Says the guy who doesn't even have a car to get to a Coug game. And Wyoming and its values? Ever hear of Matthew Shepard?

What I said was, is true. What you said doesn't change that.

And you missed the point.

Whether it's Idaho, North Dakotah, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc, as states, or smaller rural towns like PULLMAN(Which is more like the states, mentioned above), they do in fact have the lowest homeless rates per capita, lowest crime rate per capita, lowest drug rate per capita, etc, because of their VALUES, PRICIPLES, ETHICS, politics, etc, IN GENERAL, by most of the people.

Are there people IN THE MINORITY, who are problems, commit crimes, are homeless, do drugs, are racist, bigots, etc? Yes.

No place, community, etc, no matter how good, is 100% perfect, problem free, etc.

Also you CHERRY PICK one case, instead of looking at the larger picture.

Despite what happened in Pullman, Moscow Idaho, Pullman is still a awesome place, community, etc. Would you want people to only wrongly judge Pullman based on 1 crazy guy in Pullman?

That 1 incident, crime, etc, in Wyoming happened in Wyoming about 25 YEARS AGO.

Also while places like Pullman, Moscow Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakotah, Utah, etc, don't approve of things like Gay, Transgender behavior, most that have that view, still think that gay, transgenders should be accepted, loved, etc, no matter how much approve, disapprove of behavior.

That is why Utah, Mormons were instrumental in not only passing laws that protect gays, transgenders, but preaching love, acceptance, and the LGBTQ groups have recognized Utah, and the Mormons for their Support. Also the Mormons have said that it's ok to be gay or SSA, Same Sex Attraction, and that the behavior, just like straight premarital sex, that is sinful, and that because of that there are gay, SSA Mormons, who do NOT do Gay behavior, that go-to church, go-to mormon temple, BYU, partake of the sacramental communion(Blessed bread, water), etc, that are loved, fellowshipped, etc.

In Courdalene Idaho, about 30 years ago, there used to be the White Supremecist, Neo Nazi parade. Almost everybody in the inland Northwest used to protest that parade. Now those Neo Nazi's are gone. The Neo Nazi's WERE IN THE MINORITY. Courdalene is a great place.

You can't or shouldn't cherry pick go by past crimes, racism, bigotry in these places

As to about me, yes I don't have a driver's license, don't have a car, had a stroke, was temporarily homeless in past, but I rent a apartment, am not homeless, and my history, background does not change how what I am saying is true.

Truth is truth no matter who says it.

And the fact that I was temporarily homeless, means I have a better knowledge, understanding, etc, of the homeless problem, and how to fix it, and what percentage is Mental Health, drugs, laziness, etc.

The HEARTLAND of America, both states, cities, towns like PULLMAN, have the least amount of problems, because of their Values, Principles, Ethics, politics, etc, and if places like CA, LA, Chicago, NY, etc, want to also fix their problems, they need to copy what PULLMAN, HEARTLAND of America is doing.

That's true no matter how much you cherry pick.

There is a reason it's called the HEARTLAND of America.

And just because your likely a CA liberal, SJW, etc, is no reason to act like a DICK, and cherry pick.

I was trolling for a greenie to defend knocking down the damn dams.

And BOOM! this thread delivered.

I was trolling for a greenie to defend knocking down the damn dams.

And BOOM! this thread delivered.
I can defend it, just for the sake of argument. But my arguments would be half-baked and speculative, relying on assumption, optimism, and completely irrelevant comparisons.

ADVERTISEMENT