ADVERTISEMENT

SI(Sports Illustrated Reports that Pac 12 and ACC are negotiating Alliance and ESPN, Pac12/ACC Alliance, media deal.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
According to the story, article details, ACC, Pac 12 insiders are saying that the Pac 12 and ACC, are negotiating a alliance(not a merger, with ESPN doing a joint media deal that covers, for both the ACC and Pac 12.

SI said the alliance is not finalized, and that the media deal is not finalized, but that they are talking, negotiating in 3 way talks between ACC and Pac 12 and ESPN.

Under the would be alliance, media deal, each conference not allowed to raid the other conference. Not a merger, that the Pac 12 would expand, play their conference slate of games, and play intra conference between ACC, and Pac 12 for noncon games, and ACC would do same in playing ACC conference games, and playing noncon games vs Pac 12.

The ACC, and Pac 12 would split media deal money, then split media deal money to each conference team.

According to the story, article details, ACC, Pac 12 insiders are saying that the Pac 12 and ACC, are negotiating a alliance(not a merger, with ESPN doing a joint media deal that covers, for both the ACC and Pac 12.

SI said the alliance is not finalized, and that the media deal is not finalized, but that they are talking, negotiating in 3 way talks between ACC and Pac 12 and ESPN.

Under the would be alliance, media deal, each conference not allowed to raid the other conference. Not a merger, that the Pac 12 would expand, play their conference slate of games, and play intra conference between ACC, and Pac 12 for noncon games, and ACC would do same in playing ACC conference games, and playing noncon games vs Pac 12.

The ACC, and Pac 12 would split media deal money, then split media deal money to each conference team.

Ok now that said news about ACC/Pac 12 alliance, joint alliance media deal.

Here is my take.

Since ND insiders have said that ND go independent.

AND, COMBINED.

Since Oregon/UW turned down by Big 10 unless ND join Big 10(Which probably not happen)

And since WA Legislator Drew Stokesbary said legislation is being FASTRACKED to prevent UW from leaving WSU behind, and since Drew Stokesbary said that talked to UW's President, AD, Board of Regents and told them about the legislation, etc.

And since Big 12 OFFICIALLY announced that not going to raid Pac 12(I know that rumors, articles, sources have unofficially said that Big 12:targeting Pac 12. But which conference has the better teams? I would say that Pac 12, Oregon, UW, Stanford, Utah, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, WSU, Ore St, AS A CONFERENCE, even without USC, UCLA, is BETTER THEN the Big 12 conference. I think that the Pac 12 teams that contacted the Big 12, were panicking, knee jerking, thought that Oregon/UW, etc, was going to leave next, and that nobody wanted to be WSU, Ore St, as the only remaining Pac 12 members. I think that the commish and Pac 12 leadership, and leaders from the conference, met, talked found out, knew the things I pointed out above like UW/WSU becoming a future packaged deal, ND not going Big 10, Big 10 not wanting Oregon, UW, and that if they all stayed in Pac 12, that they were a better conference then Big 12 with only Ok St, etc, and that if they then raided Big 12 members, and got BSU, and UNLV, SDSU, Fresno, and that Pac 12 had already contacted them, that if they joined Pac 12, and since, if Pac 12 formed a alliance, with ACC, and did a new joint media deal with ACC, ESPN, that they would be a way the hell better conference, in a better situation, then Don't know they are dead yet Big 12, and that why would any Pac 12 college, join the Big 12 over the Pac 12 with all that? Big 10, SEC maybe, probably yes, but Big 10, and SEC is not interested.

I think that the Pac 12 colleges realize this or had it pointed out by Pac 12 leadership, and that for the next 6 to 9 months, at minimum, to 4 years at Maximum, that the Pac 12 has that long to raid the big 12, add BSU, UNLV, SDSU, Fresno St, Airforce, form a alliance, merge with ACC, finalize their joint with ACC,ESPN, joint .media deal, etc.)

And since Oregon, Arizona will probably follow Washington State legislature's example, and probably make Oregon/Oregon St, and Arizona/ASU into packaged deals, where can't leave Ore St, and ASU behind.

And since a ACC, Pac 12 Alliance, joint, alliance, ESPN media deal, might probably eventually lead to PAC 12 and ACC merging into their own 24 to 32 team super conference to become the 3rd best conference in USA, behind Big 10, SEC to be a P3, tier 1.5 conference behind the tier 1 SEC, Big 10.

And since a aligned or merged Pac 12/ACC conference can gobble up the rest of the Big 12, to become a 32 to 40 team tier 1, P3, super conference, with Rosebowl tie in, with 1,2,3 Playoff auto bids, and 1,2,3 at large playoff spots.

Then with all that in mind, the Pac 12 probably spends the next 3 months, to 1,2 years raiding the big 12, adding the best MWC teams, finalizing alliance, media deal with ACC, ESPN, Merger with ACC, etc.

And in case any ask that why haven't we heard anything about the Pac 12 targeting specific Big 12 teams, or Specific Big 12 teams leaking that the Pac 12 has contacted them etc?

To that I ask this question, why didnt we hear anything about the Big 10 targeting USC, UCLA, and why didn't we hear anything from USC, UCLA?

Answer, is that the Big 10 were ninja stealthing the Pac 12, so that the Pac 12 wouldn't be able to stop, prevent it.

And USC, UCLA, didn't say anything, because if things fell apart, they didn't want any fallout to happen to them.

Well same with Pac 12. If Pac 12 doesn't mention that targeting Big 12 teams, and is all ninja, stealth about it, the Big 12 wouldn't be able to stop, prevent it. And Big 12 teams, wouldn't let anything leak, in case they don't join Pac 12, so that they don't get fallout.

To those who say the Pac 12 wouldn't do that, the Pac 12 knows that Big 12 is trying to target them, and that they need to eliminate that threat, before that threat, conference eliminates Pac 12.

The Big 12:made a big mistake letting it get out that they were targeting the Pac 12. They should have followed the Big 10's, ninja stealth example.

To those who say, "But the Pac 12 said they will aggressively seek to expand, and that means they are targeting MWC, Big 12"

Big 12 might not know that. And the Pac 12 could just be going after MWC teams, for all they know, etc.

The way I see it is this. The Pac 12 is on life support for the next 4.5 to 6 months to 1.5 to 2 to 3.5 years. Pac 12 has that long to raid big 12, get some MWC teams, form alliance with ACC, do joint media deal with ACC, via ESPN, an or Merge with ACC/Big 12, etc.

If Pac 12 doesn't do that, then Big 12 will raid Pac 12, UW/WSU will either stay together in Pac 12, or Join the Big 12 together. Same probably with Oregon/Oregon St. Stanford goes independent, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Cal goes Big 12, etc, and Pac 12 dies.

But until if then Pac 12 probably stay together, short,mid term and probably at least try to raid the Big 12, align with ACC, do new media deal with ACC, as partners, via ESPN.

Another bad thing in all of this, is if the ACC requires that Pac 12 Kickout WSU/Ore St. But by then UW/WSU will probably be a PACKAGED deal by then.

Last edited:

Here is my take ...

It says "Hall of Fame" under your screen name for a reason.

You've weaved a tangled web, but — if this scenario materializes like you've spelled out — the remaining Pac-12 schools should be in better shape than before USC and UCLA announced they were leaving.

Reactions: mikalalas

Here is my take.

Since ND insiders have said that ND go independent.

AND, COMBINED.

Since Oregon/UW turned down by Big 10 unless ND join Big 10(Which probably not happen)

And since WA Legislator Drew Stokesbary said legislation is being FASTRACKED to prevent UW from leaving WSU behind, and since Drew Stokesbary said that talked to UW's President, AD, Board of Regents and told them about the legislation, etc.

And since Big 12 OFFICIALLY announced that not going to raid Pac 12(I know that rumors, articles, sources have unofficially said that Big 12:targeting Pac 12. But which conference has the better teams? I would say that Pac 12, Oregon, UW, Stanford, Utah, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, WSU, Ore St, AS A CONFERENCE, even without USC, UCLA, is BETTER THEN the Big 12 conference. I think that the Pac 12 teams that contacted the Big 12, were panicking, knee jerking, thought that Oregon/UW, etc, was going to leave next, and that nobody wanted to be WSU, Ore St, as the only remaining Pac 12 members. I think that the commish and Pac 12 leadership, and leaders from the conference, met, talked found out, knew the things I pointed out above like UW/WSU becoming a future packaged deal, ND not going Big 10, Big 10 not wanting Oregon, UW, and that if they all stayed in Pac 12, that they were a better conference then Big 12 with only Ok St, etc, and that if they then raided Big 12 members, and got BSU, and UNLV, SDSU, Fresno, and that Pac 12 had already contacted them, that if they joined Pac 12, and since, if Pac 12 formed a alliance, with ACC, and did a new joint media deal with ACC, ESPN, that they would be a way the hell better conference, in a better situation, then Don't know they are dead yet Big 12, and that why would any Pac 12 college, join the Big 12 over the Pac 12 with all that? Big 10, SEC maybe, probably yes, but Big 10, and SEC is not interested.

I think that the Pac 12 colleges realize this or had it pointed out by Pac 12 leadership, and that for the next 6 to 9 months, at minimum, to 4 years at Maximum, that the Pac 12 has that long to raid the big 12, add BSU, UNLV, SDSU, Fresno St, Airforce, form a alliance, merge with ACC, finalize their joint with ACC,ESPN, joint .media deal, etc.)

And since Oregon, Arizona will probably follow Washington State legislature's example, and probably make Oregon/Oregon St, and Arizona/ASU into packaged deals, where can't leave Ore St, and ASU behind.

And since a ACC, Pac 12 Alliance, joint, alliance, ESPN media deal, might probably eventually lead to PAC 12 and ACC merging into their own 24 to 32 team super conference to become the 3rd best conference in USA, behind Big 10, SEC to be a P3, tier 1.5 conference behind the tier 1 SEC, Big 10.

And since a aligned or merged Pac 12/ACC conference can gobble up the rest of the Big 12, to become a 32 to 40 team tier 1, P3, super conference, with Rosebowl tie in, with 1,2,3 Playoff auto bids, and 1,2,3 at large playoff spots.

Then with all that in mind, the Pac 12 probably spends the next 3 months, to 1,2 years raiding the big 12, adding the best MWC teams, finalizing alliance, media deal with ACC, ESPN, Merger with ACC, etc.

And in case any ask that why haven't we heard anything about the Pac 12 targeting specific Big 12 teams, or Specific Big 12 teams leaking that the Pac 12 has contacted them etc?

To that I ask this question, why didnt we hear anything about the Big 10 targeting USC, UCLA, and why didn't we hear anything from USC, UCLA?

Answer, is that the Big 10 were ninja stealthing the Pac 12, so that the Pac 12 wouldn't be able to stop, prevent it.

And USC, UCLA, didn't say anything, because if things fell apart, they didn't want any fallout to happen to them.

Well same with Pac 12. If Pac 12 doesn't mention that targeting Big 12 teams, and is all ninja, stealth about it, the Big 12 wouldn't be able to stop, prevent it. And Big 12 teams, wouldn't let anything leak, in case they don't join Pac 12, so that they don't get fallout.

To those who say the Pac 12 wouldn't do that, the Pac 12 knows that Big 12 is trying to target them, and that they need to eliminate that threat, before that threat, conference eliminates Pac 12.

The Big 12:made a big mistake letting it get out that they were targeting the Pac 12. They should have followed the Big 10's, ninja stealth example.

To those who say, "But the Pac 12 said they will aggressively seek to expand, and that means they are targeting MWC, Big 12"

Big 12 might not know that. And the Pac 12 could just be going after MWC teams, for all they know, etc.

The way I see it is this. The Pac 12 is on life support for the next 4.5 to 6 months to 1.5 to 2 to 3.5 years. Pac 12 has that long to raid big 12, get some MWC teams, form alliance with ACC, do joint media deal with ACC, via ESPN, an or Merge with ACC/Big 12, etc.

If Pac 12 doesn't do that, then Big 12 will raid Pac 12, UW/WSU will either stay together in Pac 12, or Join the Big 12 together. Same probably with Oregon/Oregon St. Stanford goes independent, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Cal goes Big 12, etc, and Pac 12 dies.

But until if then Pac 12 probably stay together, short,mid term and probably at least try to raid the Big 12, align with ACC, do new media deal with ACC, as partners, via ESPN.

Another bad thing in all of this, is if the ACC requires that Pac 12 Kickout WSU/Ore St. But by then UW/WSU will probably be a PACKAGED deal by then.
Agreed. The alliance is really just an East Coast to West Coast TV Package Deal from ESPN, that provides the solution to the failed Pac-12 Network. As Petros Papadakis said on KJR on Wednesday, this is on Larry Scott.

Larry apparently sat complacent for years, saying "everything is all right, we're the Conference of Champions, everything all good". In the meantime the Pac-12 Network failed financially, (eyes on TV sets), and failed to reach a carriage agreement with DirecTV.

Again, it's all about "eyes on TV", and this new ESPN deal will help, no question. Not sure who will broadcast the games that ESPN and others turn down, like an Idaho, Portland St, or EWU? I'd imagine the Pac-12 Network will dissolve, so who would broadcast these games?

Perhaps the P12 Network doesn't dissolve, so it can pickup the games rejected by ESPN, etc.

We'll have to take the "Pan Theory". Everything will pan out in the end.

Last edited:
It says "Hall of Fame" under your screen name for a reason.

You've weaved a tangled web, but — if this scenario materializes like you've spelled out — the remaining Pac-12 schools should be in better shape than before USC and UCLA announced they were leaving.

I wouldn't say better then or equal to before USC, UCLA left, but almost as good as before USC, UCLA left, at best.

And it all depends on if the Pac 12 does everything they need to do fast enough during their probationary, life support state, if they don't, the Big 12 gets them, and survives, and the Pac 12 dies.

But I think that the Pac 12 does those things, and survives. But I guess we will see. Either, anyway, it's going to be a wild ride, with things moving fast.

I wouldn't say better then or equal to before USC, UCLA left, but almost as good as before USC, UCLA left, at best.

And it all depends on if the Pac 12 does everything they need to do fast enough during their probationary, life support state, if they don't, the Big 12 gets them, and survives, and the Pac 12 dies.

But I think that the Pac 12 does those things, and survives. But I guess we will see. Either, anyway, it's going to be a wild ride, with things moving fast.
One thing is for sure. Certainly glad George Kliavkoff is running our show.

Agreed. The alliance is really just an East Coast to West Coast TV Package Deal from ESPN, that provides the solution to the failed Pac-12 Network. As Petros Papadakis said on KJR on Wednesday, this is on Larry Scott.

Larry apparently sat complacent for years, saying "everything is all right, we're the Conference of Champions, everything all good". In the meantime the Pac-12 Network failed financially, (eyes on TV sets), and failed to reach a carriage agreement with DirecTV.

Again, it's all about "eyes on TV", and this new ESPN deal will help, no question. Not sure who will broadcast the games that ESPN and others turn down, like an Idaho, Portland St, or EWU? I'd imagine the Pac-12 Network will dissolve, so who would broadcast these games?

Perhaps the P12 Network doesn't dissolve, so it can pickup the games rejected by ESPN, etc.

We'll have to take the "Pan Theory". Everything will pan out in the end.

Your right it's Larry Scott's fault that Pac 12 was even in the bad position that it was in

But it was very foolish for the new Pac 12 commish, and the ACC commish to vote no to the expansion of the playoffs, that guaranteed Big 10, SEC, ACC, Pac 12 seats at the table.

If Pac 12 had voted yes, and then after that had renegotiated a new, better media deal(which they would have gotten because of their seat at expanded playoffs table), then Pac 12 probably wouldn't have lost USC, UCLA to Big 10.

Also it was foolish to trust a alliance with Big 10.

Also the New Pac 12 commish, and the Pac 12 should have raided Ok St, etc, from Big 12, and gotten UNLV, from MWC(for Vegas) to go-to Pac 14 at extreme minimum.

If Pac 14 had USC, UCLA, Oregon, Ok St, Stanford, Utah, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, WSU, Ore St, UNLV, with seat at expanded playoffs table, with a better renegotiated deal, etc, USC, UCLA wouldn't have been poached by Big 10, and even if had been approached, might probably have stayed put.

So it's not on just Larry Scott, it's on Larry Scott, AND failing to remove Scott earlier, AND failing to vote yes to expanded playoffs, failure to get a seat at that table, failure to get Ok St from Big 12, failure to expand, stupidly entering alliance with Big 10 and Big 12, when they should have targeted Big 12 when they were weak and vulnerable.

Plenty of failure, stupidity, blame to go around.

One thing is for sure. Certainly glad George Kliavkoff is running our show.

He is better then Larry Scott, and he is doing some good things, but voting no to playoff expansion and a seat at that table, and failing to renegotiate a new media deal after voting yes to expanded playoffs, getting a seat at that table, and failing to target a weakened Big 12, and foolishly trusting doing alliance with Big 10, and dumb, fails, but not as bad as Larry Scott.

At Least he is trying hard, and learning the hard way from his mistakes, and going forward, I think he will do a good job

Reactions: M-I-Coug
If the P12 gets picked apart & the Big Cats are left out then I hope
instead 👍

The best hope for Big 12, Big 12 teams, KSU, is to not try to raid Pac 12, and either have Big 12 teams, join Pac 12, or try to merge with both Pac 12, and ACC.

The Pac 12 is going to at minimum have a binding Alliance, shared, joint media deal with Pac 12, ACC, ESPN, that probably eventually lead to a future full merger between the Pac 12 and ACC.

Being in that is way better then joining Big 12, so because of that, Pac 12 teams won't join the Big 12. The only reason Pac 12 teams contacted Big 12, were targeted by Big 12, is that Pac 12 teams knee Jerked, panicked, thought UW/Oregon was going to join USC, UCLA in Big 10.

But the reality is that Oregon, UW, Stanford, Utah, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, are better colleges, better collection of Colleges, better as a conference then the Big 12, and Ok St, Baylor, BYU, Kansas, TCU, K State, Texas Tech, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati.

And when Pac 12 merges with ACC, that will be better then the Big 12.

The Big 12, Big 12 teams, will, should either join Pac 12, or join the ACC, or join the ACC/Pac 12 merged conference.

The positive thing about that for Big 12 teams, is that Ok St, Baylor, TCU, Houston, Cincinnati, Kansas, KSU, Texas Tech, UCF, BYU, etc, will be absorbed into the ACC/Pac 12 merged conference.

The only Big 12 team that should be worried is Iowa St

The problem with the PAC-12 merging with the ACC is the from the models I’ve read, is that WSU and OSU are left out. Which sucks.

Your best case scenario by far here. Hating on ESPN is silly, they are the titan of sports media. The alternative was a train wreck we don’t need to go back there. Gets you coast to coast viewers, great inter conference matchups and fan experiences in the form of road trips to places you wouldn’t normally get to see your team play. Hope this materializes.

The problem with the PAC-12 merging with the ACC is the from the models I’ve read, is that WSU and OSU are left out. Which sucks.
I wouldn’t be so sure. This is all about viewers. Pullman might be a small “market” but WSU has built a brand that I think even our own don’t understand sometimes. ESPN would rather have WSU on the skate than a bunch of these other ACC schools. The flag waving might have seemed hokey to some after years but it helped in building the brand.

That's a possibility, but not a probability, and Drew Stokesbary and Michael Baumgartner are FASTRACKING LEGISLATION that would TIE UW/WSU together, make them a PACKAGED DEAL, forbids UW to leave WSU behind, and they have contacted UW President, AD, board of Regents, informed them of pending legislation, etc.

And UW probably has informed ACC, ESPN about the pending legislation.

And ACC, and ESPN will take UW/WSU as a packaged deal. And WSU is, has been ESPN's DARLING on their Flagship College GameDay Show.

So WSU will probably not get left out in a Pac 12/ACC Merger, ESPN deal.

It's still possible tho.

I wouldn’t be so sure. This is all about viewers. Pullman might be a small “market” but WSU has built a brand that I think even our own don’t understand sometimes. ESPN would rather have WSU on the skate than a bunch of these other ACC schools. The flag waving might have seemed hokey to some after years but it helped in building the brand.

It's Amazing that WSU has almost the same viewership of Miami, better then Ok St, Louisville, North Carolina, not far behind Oregon, etc.

That viewership and UW/WSU being a packaged deal gives WSU a lot more leverage then people think. Add WSU being ESPN's GameDay Darling for the last 17+ years(that's a lot of tradition), to that, and WSU probably doesn't get left behind, probably also gets a seat at the ACC, Pac 12, Big 12, Merger, ESPN table.

WSU is a lot more well positioned then people think, and gives them credit for, and that includes media talking heads.

And that's why they need to have WSU's position, status pointed out, and I'm sure Schultz, Chun, and others behind the scenes are pointing WSU's position, status, etc, out.

Reactions: wsudefense
ADVERTISEMENT