ADVERTISEMENT

So 2018 is full

So interesting note about CML's presser on the latest recruits. He was asked about a possible transfer or Juco coming in for QB. He said something to the affect that yeah, that was a possibility, that's why we left a couple scholarships open.

WSU has usually kept a scholarship or two available after the signing day to get a kid who pops up unsigned for whatever reason. This goes back to when Mike Price was coaching.

I am guessing that the last spot of the 25 was being held for the DB that signs with Oregon and the 26th spot is being held for a grad transfer QB. Worst case scenario they give the two scholarships to the best football they can find or to existing walk-ons that are deserving.

So interesting note about CML's presser on the latest recruits. He was asked about a possible transfer or Juco coming in for QB. He said something to the affect that yeah, that was a possibility, that's why we left a couple scholarships open.

I think this is just a matter of semantics.

We were going to leave ONE scholarship open - for a possible JC or senior transfer QB. Then the other kid bails on us at the last moment, signing with Oregon instead.

So now we have TWO open rides. But only one of them was open by design, the other opened at the last second, by circumstance.

Other guys, like Grisso (sp?) and Rocky K., are delaying entry. There are also some PWO types coming in, as well, including Drew Kobayashi, the Hawaiian WR who originally went to Cal Berkeley. At this point, none of those guys are taking up scholarships in this class.

I think this is just a matter of semantics.

We were going to leave ONE scholarship open - for a possible JC or senior transfer QB. Then the other kid bails on us at the last moment, signing with Oregon instead.

So now we have TWO open rides. But only one of them was open by design, the other opened at the last second, by circumstance.

Other guys, like Grisso (sp?) and Rocky K., are delaying entry. There are also some PWO types coming in, as well, including Drew Kobayashi, the Hawaiian WR who originally went to Cal Berkeley. At this point, none of those guys are taking up scholarships in this class.
Oh yeah. Completely agree. If CML threw 2 schollies at QB's, there would be a whole bunch of questions. Just pointing out his confirmation that they are looking for a transfer or Juco QB for this class.

I'm fine with having 2 spots left open. There will be some kid who doesn't get admitted to Cal, or something, that WSU can use a special admit on. Seems like there's always one of those. Use one spot there and the other on a grad transfer at QB. All good.

Reactions: Tx64
I'm fine with having 2 spots left open. There will be some kid who doesn't get admitted to Cal, or something, that WSU can use a special admit on. Seems like there's always one of those. Use one spot there and the other on a grad transfer at QB. All good.

I agree. I see that Kirby Bennett did not sign with anyone. I do not think we need another RB. It was just an example. There are several top players that did not sign with anyone. They were probably promised by a big school and they did not come through on signing day. It happened to my brother. He had to take a much lesser school, as the others had filled up. There is bound to be someone out there, perhaps another defensive tackle.

I agree. Plus, if they don't find anyone worthy, they can use it on one of the grayshirts.

I agree. I see that Kirby Bennett did not sign with anyone. I do not think we need another RB. It was just an example. There are several top players that did not sign with anyone. They were probably promised by a big school and they did not come through on signing day. It happened to my brother. He had to take a much lesser school, as the others had filled up. There is bound to be someone out there, perhaps another defensive tackle.

Generally, when there is a recruit who has not taken any official visits, and/or, there have been no recruiting updates on them in several months, it means they are not going to qualify. I assume that to be the case with Bennett.

Generally, when there is a recruit who has not taken any official visits, and/or, there have been no recruiting updates on them in several months, it means they are not going to qualify. I assume that to be the case with Bennett.

Could be. I know I made sure all of my athletes, back in the day, knew the rules of the NCAA Clearinghouse. My counselors were trained as well. I have seen cases where Div. 1 caliber athletes were not signed up for the right courses to qualify. Heads rolled.

Or give one to a deserving walk on, who has already put in some time at WSU.

You can do this already if they have been in the program for two years. They do not count against the 25 per year limit. There just has to be room on the 85 scholarship limit total.

You can do this already if they have been in the program for two years. They do not count against the 25 per year limit. There just has to be room on the 85 scholarship limit total.

Yeah. You’re right. I was just overlooking the “they don’t count against the 25/yr” (if they’ve been in the program for two years) part. My bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT