ADVERTISEMENT

So Hilinski looks good

StormyCOUG42

Hall Of Fame
Aug 27, 2008
at least from the little snippet from the scrimmage. He throws a nice ball. Good zip and tight spiral. And I know it was probably how Leach set up the situations, but accounting for 5 total TDs (4 passing, one rushing) with no turnovers is impressive. If he continues to develop and learn the system, he should be a good replacement at QB when Luke decides to move on.

I am not worried about the time that Luke leaves for the NFL. Hilinski, Gordon and Neville are promising replacements at the position in the future. What concerns me is this year. Will Hilinski be able to step in adequately when Falk is takes the inevitable and hopefully temporary ding? The scrimmage stats you mention are a good sign. I want to see the Cougs put some teams away early this year so the reserve QBs can get some game time snaps. It will be disappointing to me if Falk still has to play the bulk or all of the second halves against EWU and Idaho.

"Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

I'm confident in Hilinski, and more so, Leach's ability to groom QB's for his system; but we won't really know what the kid has until the non contact jersey comes off. Unlike last season, I hope we're able to get him a fair amount of game reps vs. Eastern WA and Idaho so we can get a better picture of how he performs in-game.

Leach leaves his starters in too long in blowouts IMO. I would also like to see Hilinski get some quality reps in the first two games. I really like what little I've seen of him. He seems to have all the physical tools... but until he gets some game experience, its impossible to know if he has what it takes between the ears... which is what makes Falk so special.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT