So off-season fodder/question

Coug95man2

Hall Of Fame
Dec 7, 2011
About Colorado. So since Mcintire(sp) got there, they have gone:
4-8
2-10
4-9

Then all of the sudden, when expected to again sit their a$$es on the bottom of the Pac 12 barrel again, they are battling for the Pac 12 Title for the 2016 season!? How, in the world, does this happen? I honestly don't follow CO much, except when they are coming up on our schedule. But can someone explain this? Without knowing their story... really... that is quite the leap, quite the jump.

4-8
2-10
4-9

Then all of the sudden, when expected to again sit their a$$es on the bottom of the Pac 12 barrel again, they are battling for the Pac 12 Title for the 2016 season!? How, in the world, does this happen? I honestly don't follow CO much, except when they are coming up on our schedule. But can someone explain this? Without knowing their story... really... that is quite the leap, quite the jump.

They were better in 2015 than their 4-9 record would indicate. Bad football teams often get in the habit of losing and find it difficult to get out of that habit. They had 5 losses in 2015 by one TD or less and went toe to toe with USC and Utah late in the season. Last year, their defense was loaded with guys that had been around for a while and that was enough to turn those five close losses into wins. FWIW, WSU went 3-9 in 2014 and then went 9-4 in 2015 so it's not like it's that uncommon. It will be interesting to see if CU's success was based mostly on the 8 seniors on defense or if the overall program depth is enough to keep pushing ahead.

4-8
2-10
4-9

I remember Yaki and I talking about his San Jose State team and how well they were doing in addition to some of the talent they had. He coached both sides of the ball (as did his mentor -Parcells) and had a solid foundation coaching in the pros. You know someone can really coach when they can coach all three sides of the ball to success...like Tom Landry did with the NY Giant's defense, the Dallas defense and also later innovations in the Dallas offense. Without a great amount of player talent....I think CM has a lot of "it"....his players witness it and most believe in him. Sorry about the old man references. Real history can be your friend some times (as opposed to retrospective history). :)

I think Flat pretty much explained it. And the big question is where will they be without all the seniors? Yes, they now think they can win. Heady stuff, and very important. But they won with veterans, and the big block of veterans are gone. If they make it to a bowl, it will be by the skin of their teeth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT