ADVERTISEMENT

So... the UCLA coach...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
rips into his team after getting thumped by the mutts. Basically said from here on out it's a tryout for next year's team to see who really wants to play. This can go one of two ways for today's game they can all pretty much give up and mail it in or they can get outstanding efforts by the underclassmen. However if I'm a senior then I would tend to say eff it, the season is over anyway and I'm not going to put forth the effort I normally would. I may be wrong. It will be certainly interesting to see how they come out for this afternoon's game. Here's the link to the article..

rips into his team after getting thumped by the mutts. Basically said from here on out it's a tryout for next year's team to see who really wants to play. This can go one of two ways for today's game they can all pretty much give up and mail it in or they can get outstanding efforts by the underclassmen. However if I'm a senior then I would tend to say eff it, the season is over anyway and I'm not going to put forth the effort I normally would. I may be wrong. It will be certainly interesting to see how they come out for this afternoon's game. Here's the link to the article..

I think that every UCLA player will come out like their hair is on fire. So, I don't think any player will mail it in. However, I do think that type of emotion is fragile. If the Cougars withstand UCLA's best shot, they fall back to what they have been or worse.

What a slaughter. AZ just did about the same to Oregon. So we have to hope UCLA or USC can trip AZ up. I'm still nervous about today and Thursday. 1st place looks to be gone, but we still have a chance to let Oregon or Colorado (not both, they play each other next week) catch us.

They may very well come out amped up, and play very well at least initially, or through some of the game, and because of that IF WSU either does not play well, or if still sick and if still being sick affects WSU, WSU could lose.

But even if UCLA plays very well through some of the game, WSU will probably play well enough that EVENTUALLY WSU would probably BREAK UCLA, that eventually UCLA would probably stop playing as hard, pack it in, get semi demoralized, semi give up, stop playing as well and then lose.

When, if WSU gets up by at least 8+ points mid game to later game, UCLA would, will probably crack, break.

Also WSU DOMINATES almost every team statistical comparison category over UCLA.

Only thing UCLA is better at then WSU is Freethrow shooting percentage at ABOUT, AROUND 72% to WSU's 70.8%

What a slaughter. AZ just did about the same to Oregon. So we have to hope UCLA or USC can trip AZ up. I'm still nervous about today and Thursday. 1st place looks to be gone, but we still have a chance to let Oregon or Colorado (not both, they play each other next week) catch us.
I wonder who has the tie-breaker for seeding in the P12 tournament. We split with both CU and UO. However, I don't think it will come into play, as I think we win both games remaining on our schedule.

WSU would have to go 0-2, combined with Oregon, etc going 2-0 to catch up with WSU, and even then WSU would finish tied for 2nd, but in 3rd due to a lost tiebreaker with Oregon, and WSU would still make the NCAA tourny, as long as WSU won a game in the PAC 12 tourny.

There is only about a .01% chance that WSU goes 0-2, and Oregon goes 2-0, and Colorado goes 2-0, and then WSU doesn't even win a game in PAC 12 tourny on top of all that and then after that doesn't make NCAA tourny and goes to NIT.

It would be the most epic ULTIMATE MELTDOWN, etc.

It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

WSU is practically a virtual lock to make NCAA tourny.

WSU is basically playing for higher SEEDING in the NCAA tourny that WSU is going to.

WSU would have to go 0-2, combined with Oregon, etc going 2-0 to catch up with WSU, and even then WSU would finish tied for 2nd, but in 3rd due to a lost tiebreaker with Oregon, and WSU would still make the NCAA tourny, as long as WSU won a game in the PAC 12 tourny.

There is only about a .01% chance that WSU goes 0-2, and Oregon goes 2-0, and Colorado goes 2-0, and then WSU doesn't even win a game in PAC 12 tourny on top of all that and then after that doesn't make NCAA tourny and goes to NIT.

It would be the most epic ULTIMATE MELTDOWN, etc.

It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

WSU is practically a virtual lock to make NCAA tourny.

WSU is basically playing for higher SEEDING in the NCAA tourny that WSU is going to.
There is a 0% chance that both Oregon and Colorado go 2-0 (technically, CU would need to go 3-0, as they have three conference games left). They play each other on Thursday.

There is a 0% chance that both Oregon and Colorado go 2-0 (technically, CU would need to go 3-0, as they have three conference games left). They play each other on Thursday.

Yeah your right. Point is that there is only about a .01% chance that WSU goes to NIT, instead of NCAA tourny.

I'm channeling my inner Leon Bender today...
To paraphrase, "UCLA, where blue chippers go to get soft"
🙂

Yes - as I said in Post #3. Sometimes.......

I think that every UCLA player will come out like their hair is on fire. So, I don't think any player will mail it in. However, I do think that type of emotion is fragile. If the Cougars withstand UCLA's best shot, they fall back to what they have been or worse.
This is the classic step on their throat early game. I think if we can get out to a quick double digit lead it could be a rout. If we F around with them and let them hang around, we are playing with a wounded pissed off animal.

I hope everyone is back to 100% and over the bugs today.

Last edited:
I wonder who has the tie-breaker for seeding in the P12 tournament. We split with both CU and UO. However, I don't think it will come into play, as I think we win both games remaining on our schedule.
Well, if we take care of business against UW and Arizona drops one on the road in LA, it won’t matter. We’ll finish the season tied with Arizona, and we win by virtue of sweeping them. We’ll get the #1 seed, and now we can be no worse than #2.

Reactions: mikalalas
There is 0, Nil, Nada, Zilch chance of NIT. This team is so well balanced it crazy. A player can have a bad game, but others there to pick up the slack. This is a total Cinderella team and I for one do not want to hear the clock strike midnight just yet.

Reactions: 79COUG
There is 0, Nil, Nada, Zilch chance of NIT. This team is so well balanced it crazy. A player can have a bad game, but others there to pick up the slack. This is a total Cinderella team and I for one do not want to hear the clock strike midnight just yet.

Well technically, theoretically before WSU's win vs UCLA, there was technically, theoretically, statistically, etc, about a .001% chance that WSU could have had a epic, ultimate meltdown, gone 0-2, won zero games in PAC 12 tourny, had Oregon go 2-0, which would have caused WSU to goto NIT.

But your right, that was only in THEORY, statistically, technically possible.

Your right that it wasn't BLOODY DAMN LIKELY to happen and therefore WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Now after beating UCLA, there is NO technical, theoretical, statistical, possible way WSU can not make NCAA tournament, as WSU CLINCHED, LOCKED a NCAA tourny berth, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, even IF WSU were to lose to UW, Oregon were to go 2-0, and IF then WSU then didn't win even 1 game in PAC 12 tourny.

NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS WSU IS IN NCAA TOURNY NOW.

Now WSU is playing for a higher seed in NCAA tourny, a higher seed in PAC 12 tourny, and for winning the conference and being PAC 12 champions, and for the PAC 12 tourny championship, etc.

Well technically, theoretically before WSU's win vs UCLA, there was technically, theoretically, statistically, etc, about a .001% chance that WSU could have had a epic, ultimate meltdown, gone 0-2, won zero games in PAC 12 tourny, had Oregon go 2-0, which would have caused WSU to goto NIT.

But your right, that was only in THEORY, statistically, technically possible.

Your right that it wasn't BLOODY DAMN LIKELY to happen and therefore WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Now after beating UCLA, there is NO technical, theoretical, statistical, possible way WSU can not make NCAA tournament, as WSU CLINCHED, LOCKED a NCAA tourny berth, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, even IF WSU were to lose to UW, Oregon were to go 2-0, and IF then WSU then didn't win even 1 game in PAC 12 tourny.

NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS WSU IS IN NCAA TOURNY NOW.

Now WSU is playing for a higher seed in NCAA tourny, a higher seed in PAC 12 tourny, and for winning the conference and being PAC 12 champions, and for the PAC 12 tourny championship, etc.
Mik, buddy, c'mon. I am really trying to cut you some slack. But you just won't lay off of your wacko posts. First, you state the obvious as if it is not apparent. Yes the Cougs are a lock for the tournament. Yes we are now playing for seeding. We ALL know that.

Statistically, technically, technically, theoretically, statistically. In the first sentence! Then THEORY, statistically, technically, and technical, theoretical, statistical in subsequent paragraphs. Really?

And do you continue to misspell tourney just to annoy me? Tourny is not a word!

Mik, buddy, c'mon. I am really trying to cut you some slack. But you just won't lay off of your wacko posts. First, you state the obvious as if it is not apparent. Yes the Cougs are a lock for the tournament. Yes we are now playing for seeding. We ALL know that.

Statistically, technically, technically, theoretically, statistically. In the first sentence! Then THEORY, statistically, technically, and technical, theoretical, statistical in subsequent paragraphs. Really?

And do you continue to misspell tourney just to annoy me? Tourny is not a word!
Don’t worry I got you Mik. The Cougs are cutting down the net and the e comes first! It will be the “oury” when we are done with it!

It was funny watching UCLA’s coach whining about the officiating in his postgame interview considering the ridiculous number of games where the Cougs were the ones getting hosed.

He wasn’t completely wrong though. We did get a lot of calls our way and the ejection was lame. That said, his boys were pretty damned handsy on defense and could have been called for even more fouls if the refs had wanted to.

Still funny to see him whining though.

It was funny watching UCLA’s coach whining about the officiating in his postgame interview considering the ridiculous number of games where the Cougs were the ones getting hosed.

He wasn’t completely wrong though. We did get a lot of calls our way and the ejection was lame. That said, his boys were pretty damned handsy on defense and could have been called for even more fouls if the refs had wanted to.

Accurate summation

Ridiculous when it was clear that was their gameplan. Take it like a man, it didn’t work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT