ADVERTISEMENT

Something I hope comes out of this...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
I hope Gordon gains some humility and quits running his mouth to the other team after we score. Infuriating.
The great ones don't pull that crap. Celebrate, get excited, all of that. But for god's sake, keep your yap shut! It'll come back to bite you in the ass!

I was struck by both CML and Riley's stone faces for almost the entire game. Quite the contrast to what you are describing; maybe there is some room for increased maturity there.

I was thinking during the melt down if his attitude or lack of maturity in that respect hadn't bled into the team's collective attitude. It would certainly explain the casual lack of urgency by the offensive players while Rome was burning down all around them.

Reactions: 79COUG and ATACFD
I was thinking during the melt down if his attitude or lack of maturity in that respect hadn't bled into the team's collective attitude. It would certainly explain the casual lack of urgency by the offensive players while Rome was burning down all around them.

I understand where you are coming from, and especially thought Gordon, in particular, at times looked like he was trying to "look" too cool for school and to appear ultra-casual and calm even when not warranted.

That said, it's hard to knock the offense for much at all. Gordon was off-target in a couple of key late possessions, with it looking a bit too much like 2017 Falk to me ... stand back there and throw an uncatchable ball to a blanketed receiver, when (I have to go back and watch) it seemed like him threatening to take off might have opened some things up. The failure to score there hurt.

Subject to that, one man's "casual lack of urgency" is another man's "staying composed." If the offense had started to look like it was freaking out, then the complaint about them (and Leach) would be that they were freaking out and shit the bed. I think they were trying to just do their job, which was all they had to do. They had the ball with the lead and two and a half minutes left. All they had to do was get a first down and the game was pretty much over, and it definitely was over if they got two. Winston's fumble blew that.

That said, it's hard to knock the offense for much at all.

6 turnovers isn't a bit much? 1 was a terrible call by the ref but the rest were on us being sloppy and careless. As you mention in your post, that last fumble in particular was inexcusable. After all those turnovers I am shocked the receiver wasn't cradling that ball with 2 arms.
Sure, the offense scored a ton but as bad as our D is, we still stopped them with a lead and time to run out the clock. If we even have 3 turnovers we win that game.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Standing flat footed in the pocket is not a good look.
Yeah hit a receiver across the middle at about the 4yd line with a flat footed throw. It was contested because the throw was a bit behind him. If he steps through that throw, it's a TD. Little things like that end up being huge against good teams. They're little bad habits you get into when you're shredding crappy OOC teams. Hopefully he and the coaches recognize it and work on fixing it. Everyone should be eating a large portion of humble pie after that shit show.

I understand where you are coming from, and especially thought Gordon, in particular, at times looked like he was trying to "look" too cool for school and to appear ultra-casual and calm even when not warranted.

That said, it's hard to knock the offense for much at all. Gordon was off-target in a couple of key late possessions, with it looking a bit too much like 2017 Falk to me ... stand back there and throw an uncatchable ball to a blanketed receiver, when (I have to go back and watch) it seemed like him threatening to take off might have opened some things up. The failure to score there hurt.

Subject to that, one man's "casual lack of urgency" is another man's "staying composed." If the offense had started to look like it was freaking out, then the complaint about them (and Leach) would be that they were freaking out and shit the bed. I think they were trying to just do their job, which was all they had to do. They had the ball with the lead and two and a half minutes left. All they had to do was get a first down and the game was pretty much over, and it definitely was over if they got two. Winston's fumble blew that.
For all the talk about Gordon’s accuracy, he didn’t impress last night. He had some nice throws, but he had a bunch of throws that were 2-3 feet off. Still catchable, but forced the receiver to turn the wrong way, reach back, stop, etc. That killed the timing of routes and prevented receivers from getting anything after the catch. If he hits them in the numbers, or leads them properly, they’re gains of 10+. Instead they were good for 2-3 tops.

There’s really nothing from the second half last night that was positive. Leach’s postgame comments were right on - we collapsed in every way.

6 turnovers isn't a bit much? 1 was a terrible call by the ref but the rest were on us being sloppy and careless. As you mention in your post, that last fumble in particular was inexcusable. After all those turnovers I am shocked the receiver wasn't cradling that ball with 2 arms.
Sure, the offense scored a ton but as bad as our D is, we still stopped them with a lead and time to run out the clock. If we even have 3 turnovers we win that game.
If we have 3 turnovers we win by 50. Hell Fisher non-fumble changes we probably win by 30. UCLA was on the brink of laying down in the fetal position. The ripping at the ball was all they had left.

For all the talk about Gordon’s accuracy, he didn’t impress last night. He had some nice throws, but he had a bunch of throws that were 2-3 feet off. Still catchable, but forced the receiver to turn the wrong way, reach back, stop, etc. That killed the timing of routes and prevented receivers from getting anything after the catch. If he hits them in the numbers, or leads them properly, they’re gains of 10+. Instead they were good for 2-3 tops.

There’s really nothing from the second half last night that was positive. Leach’s postgame comments were right on - we collapsed in every way.

He also threw 61 passes. The first INT was a terrible throw. A few others got batted down.

Gordon was great last night. Patmon's bobble that turned into an int prob would have led to another td. Three wr fumbles were not on Gordon. Gordon is the very least of our problems.

Reactions: ATACFD
Gordon was great last night. Patmon's bobble that turned into an int prob would have led to another td. Three wr fumbles were not on Gordon. Gordon is the very least of our problems.
Yep, true. The defense is at the top of the list.
I just hope Gordon lays off the trash talk...regardless of the score.

Yeah, absolutely -- I'm primarily speaking to whether the team was looking too casual or not displaying a lack of urgency. Six turnovers is never OK, even if some of them were a little questionable and we had terrible luck with fumble recoveries. No excuse for anything in that ballpark.

Reactions: ATACFD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT