ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Beau Baldwin in the serious mix for OSU job...

They are seriously considering Erickson????
Dang...

They are seriously considering Erickson????
Dang...

That's pretty nuts. The only way I could ever see such a crazy thing (and even my notion is a bit nutty) is if someone like Erickson was hired on a one or two year contract with the HC in waiting (let's say Baldwin) hired as well (and made public) to learn from the old goat before taking over. (sorta like Jimbo Fisher and Bowden at FSU)

In regards to Denny:

"Age is a factor, as it should be. But Erickson — who has never had health issues and is a very spry 70"

Quick questions.... has he had his liver checked lately?

OSU would be smart to look at Rick Neuheisel.

I'm actually being serious.
I agree ... I actually think with the right staff RN would do ok there . I think Baldwin might be the wrong guy there . Between Riley and Anderson they failed to bring in a qb

I agree ... I actually think with the right staff RN would do ok there . I think Baldwin might be the wrong guy there . Between Riley and Anderson they failed to bring in a qb

Agree on no QB being brought in. Also didn't bring in enough Oline recruits.

Whomever they bring as the head guy, he better bring in a great staff that can recruit. OS is a big challenge right now imo.

The article hints that OSU might have to move fast, that Baldwin might dip a toe in the water at UCLA. That'd be a bad decision on Baldwin's part, I think. They'll give him some time at OSU...assuming he shows some kind of life. At UCLA, they'll expect to be a contender on day 1. And since every coach and team at UCLA has spent the last 20 years proving Leon Bender right, that makes it a no-win situation. Taking that job would be a good way to ensure that his first FCS HC job is also his last.

Reactions: SDCoug and PatBaum
I hope they promote interim coach Cory Hall. The players do too.

Promoting Cory Hall would be a mistake. He is very inexperienced; has never even run a defense yet let alone “running the show”.

I also would not leave him on the staff, because he could be an undermining influence on what will be a very difficult task.

Oregon State can go a number of different directions with this hire and have some chance of success. Based on his track record, I think Baldwin is the right guy. Selfishly I hope they hire someone else because Baldwin’s offense gives WSU fits defending them.

Don't know if he would be interested, but a guy OSU should consider is Mike Norvell at Memphis. He knows the Pac-12 (former OC at ASU) and now he has successful head coaching experience. Also 4 years younger than Cory Hall.

Glad Cougar

Don't know if he would be interested, but a guy OSU should consider is Mike Norvell at Memphis. He knows the Pac-12 (former OC at ASU) and now he has successful head coaching experience. Also 4 years younger than Cory Hall.

Glad Cougar

Methinks he's in line for an SEC gig. That'd be a legit hire for OSU.

In regards to Denny:

"Age is a factor, as it should be. But Erickson — who has never had health issues and is a very spry 70"

Quick questions.... has he had his liver checked lately?

I've heard he has stopped drinking. I'm guessing that he prob sh1t his liver out years ago so it won't matter anyways.

OSU would be smart to look at Rick Neuheisel.

I'm actually being serious.

I agree. I would imagine there are quite a few retread coaches that have either called or had their agents call OSU. If they hire the right coach, they'll prob get a guy that stays until he retires.

The article hints that OSU might have to move fast, that Baldwin might dip a toe in the water at UCLA. That'd be a bad decision on Baldwin's part, I think. They'll give him some time at OSU...assuming he shows some kind of life. At UCLA, they'll expect to be a contender on day 1. And since every coach and team at UCLA has spent the last 20 years proving Leon Bender right, that makes it a no-win situation. Taking that job would be a good way to ensure that his first FCS HC job is also his last.

Baldwin has the luxury of time. He could prob stay at Cal for a few years and his stock will only rise. If I were him I'd wait for a better job than OSU.

Reactions: earldacoug
Baldwin has the luxury of time. He could prob stay at Cal for a few years and his stock will only rise. If I were him I'd wait for a better job than OSU.
Agree. It is quite a quantum leap for a first time FBS HC to take on a gig like the Beavs. A huge career gamble; sink or swim. If he fails- and I'd bet he would- then it would take years to recover his reputation. Best to stay in Berkeley until something safer comes along.

Baldwin needs to stick around at Cal for another year or two. I like Cal's young QB. I think getting a feel for the week in and out grind of Pac12 ball will help his resume.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT