ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game location -Spokane

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
I thought this was dead but it appears there’s a glimmer of life. It’s in the school board’s hands but they will probably make the safe choice and stick with a stadium on the old Joe Albi sight.

The downtown stadium would be great for Spokane and would be a great place for the Spring game on some type of every other year rotation in my opinion.

The financials seem to make sense. But only 5,000 seats? I'd think they would want to allow for at least another 5,000 in future expansion, perhaps in 1,000 - 2,000 seat increments. And I would hope that they would have a plan for concert seating. A nice outdoor venue can (and should) have multiple uses.

The rendering of the night shot is supposed to be a concert I believe.

5k seems a little tight for soccer and HS football but limited supply is good for creating a sense of urgency to buy tickets (see Gonzaga basketball) and 5k at full capacity creates more energy than 7k in a capacity of 10k IMO.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
The rendering of the night shot is supposed to be a concert I believe.

5k seems a little tight for soccer and HS football but limited supply is good for creating a sense of urgency to buy tickets (see Gonzaga basketball) and 5k at full capacity creates more energy than 7k in a capacity of 10k IMO.

5k is a pretty solid attendance at high school football games these days. Not the same as when I was growing up and 15k was a pretty normal event. Always in the 8k to 10 range.

Hopefully there’s no last second shenanigans like last time where a charloten at the City tried to sneak in a $14million parking garage at the last second before taking it to the council.

Reactions: Lollapalousa
Between the Podium (incredible Volley, Basketball and indoor track facility being built) across the street, the Arena and this I could see parking being a challenge on occasion but not a deal breaker.

Between the Podium (incredible Volley, Basketball and indoor track facility being built) across the street, the Arena and this I could see parking being a challenge on occasion but not a deal breaker.

Nah. Lots of parking. They can get 14kfor a week straight into the Arena for Garth Brooks, they can get 10k for a combo night of high school football and Spokane Chiefs on the off chance they overlap.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
This idea and deal is almost perfect. There is no reason for Spokane to not do this. But I have very little faith they will see this and move forward. That stupid advisory vote is going to be a public perception problem, again.

Last edited:
This idea and deal is almost perfect. There is no reason for Spokane to not do this. But I have very little faith they will see this and move forward. That stupid advisory vote is going to be a public perception, again.

Theres a lot of ignorance and disinformation to overcome. And a very vocal section who thinks every single dollar should go to the 1800 homeless people in Spokane County. F the Police. F Parks. F roads. Pour more money into the homeless industry and all will be well

And they espouse and enable that pablum from their luxury condo overlooking the Spokane River or from one of their four places in Hawaii.

But god forbid the rest of us want something nice for the tax dollars. Or want to save $350k per year in recurring maintenance costs. Crazy, I know.

The financials seem to make sense. But only 5,000 seats? I'd think they would want to allow for at least another 5,000 in future expansion, perhaps in 1,000 - 2,000 seat increments. And I would hope that they would have a plan for concert seating. A nice outdoor venue can (and should) have multiple uses.

That's the current trend in stadium building- smaller capacity, charge a higher price. For the use (regular season HS football, small school HS playoff games, soccer) 5000 seats is plenty.

Theres a lot of ignorance and disinformation to overcome. And a very vocal section who thinks every single dollar should go to the 1800 homeless people in Spokane County. F the Police. F Parks. F roads. Pour more money into the homeless industry and all will be well

And they espouse and enable that pablum from their luxury condo overlooking the Spokane River or from one of their four places in Hawaii.

But god forbid the rest of us want something nice for the tax dollars. Or want to save $350k per year in recurring maintenance costs. Crazy, I know.

1. Those people are in the MINORITY, not the Majority. If they were Nadine Woodward would not be Mayor as she is a semi right leaning, semi conservative to semi independent to Semi moderate to Semi Centrist.

If the people you reference were the Majority, and in Charge, Mayor Condon, and Mayor Woodward both wouldnt be, have been Mayor of Spokane.

2. The Charities, Churches, etc, of Spokane do such a good job helping the Homeless that the Spokane Government doesnt need to spend a lot on Homeless. In fact in the even the recent past, the Spokane Govt hasnt really helped the homeless a lot, and despite that, the charities, churches, etc, have, and done such a good job doing so, that there is no reason why anybody in Spokane, should go without food, etc, to the point where homeless from other cities, counties, etc, want to go be homeless in Spokane.

3. The City Council, Spokane is divided evenly between the people you talk about and other people.

I agree that this thing either wont go thru or have problems going thru.

Altho I think it would be good.

Part of me doesnt understand why the Spokane Indians Stadium next to the fairgrounds, isnt renovated, upgraded, expanded, etc, and why they dont have HS games, WSU Spring games, etc, in that stadium.

I get why Joe Albi was a lost cause.

But the Spokane Indians Stadium, would have, and probably still is a good option, as far as location, etc.

But that just makes too much logical sense, so of course that doesnt get done, and go with something else.

The newest proposal also makes good sense, so it probably wont get done either.

But hey saving 350k a year, getting revenue from HS sports, Spokane , Indians, A Pro football team, WSU Spring game, Concerts, Graduations, etc, etc, etc, is not worth the cost of either a new stadium, or a renovated Spokane Indians Stadium.

Since thats the case, they shoukd just not have HS sports, not have Pro Football, Not have Spokane Indians, Not have concerts, Not have anything, Not make more money for Spokane, and just save even more money and not do anything with it, except, unless to spend it all on the homeless.

In the old days the Fairgrounds wouldn’t have worked when everyone used Albi and didn’t have their own fields because of the conflicts with the fair in early September. Today, with Mead,Prep, CVx3 and the new schools (Cheney, WV etc) with their own stadiums you could schedule around the fair.

That being said, downtown is where this should be built - period.

The Fairgrounds isn't in the city limits and belongs to the County, not the City of Spokane. Not a chance that trade/PFD co-operation would happen.

With The Podium as the centerpiece of sports in Spokane now, the downtown spot adjacent to that facility is the bomb. The PFD/Sports Commission know how to attract national caliber events. The School District knows how to, well, I'm not entirely sure what the School District does well - but most certainly, the School District has no clue how to optimize the revenue stream of the facility beyond football and soccer games.

Reactions: mikalalas
The Fairgrounds isn't in the city limits and belongs to the County, not the City of Spokane. Not a chance that trade/PFD co-operation would happen.

With The Podium as the centerpiece of sports in Spokane now, the downtown spot adjacent to that facility is the bomb. The PFD/Sports Commission know how to attract national caliber events. The School District knows how to, well, I'm not entirely sure what the School District does well - but most certainly, the School District has no clue how to optimize the revenue stream of the facility beyond football and soccer games.

And the PFD will maintain and even improve the facility. The new Albi will be a pile of rocks in 20 years.

Reactions: mikalalas
The fairgrounds location and stadium is a toilet. That is one of the least convenient stadiums to ever grace this earth. Hard to get to from just about everywhere.

Reactions: Observer11
What the hell, worked for Seattle. Oh...wait... nevermind.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
This idea and deal is almost perfect. There is no reason for Spokane to not do this. But I have very little faith they will see this and move forward. That stupid advisory vote is going to be a public perception problem, again.
Has Gonzaga signed off on it yet because I thought that was mandatory for any big Spokane decisions.

I'm still waiting for the local sports media to trash Mark Few for the same exact stuff they constantly trashed Mike Leach for.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I'm still waiting for the local sports media to trash Mark Few for the same exact stuff they constantly trashed Mike Leach for.

The main thing Few says to the media is "uhhhh" along with the occasional "ummm". He's shockingingly inarticulate.

The main thing Few says to the media is "uhhhh" along with the occasional "ummm". He's shockingingly inarticulate.

That is the biggest difference between him and Leach. Leach didn't know when to STFU. Otherwise, their worldviews pretty similar.

Back to the subject of the downtown arena after watching the school board meeting last night. I’m not very optimistic based on multiple comments regarding the advisory vote from 2018 but slightly better odds than a snowball in hell.

Back to the subject of the downtown arena after watching the school board meeting last night. I’m not very optimistic based on multiple comments regarding the advisory vote from 2018 but slightly better odds than a snowball in hell.

The school board has no stones and no math skills. They wouldn't see an obvious taxpayer advantage if the IRS rolled a wheel barrow full of cash to their front door.

The school board has no stones and no math skills. They wouldn't see an obvious taxpayer advantage if the IRS rolled a wheel barrow full of cash to their front door.

The thing I don't get is why does SPS want to maintain a stadium. Albi was left to rot for decades with barely any maintenance and obviously no money to improve it. Plus, who better to attract users and events in the Spokane area than the PFD and Sports Commission?

The thing I don't get is why does SPS want to maintain a stadium. Albi was left to rot for decades with barely any maintenance and obviously no money to improve it. Plus, who better to attract users and events in the Spokane area than the PFD and Sports Commission?

I take it you have never interacted with SPSD #81 at any deep level. BECAUSE THEY SAY SO!!!! BECAUSE THERE WAS A (SHAM) VOTE! ( or because a certain city employee who shall remain nameless tried to grab for a $14 Million parking garage instead of just settling for the win which put the council in a bad spot in an election year and they kicked it to an 'advisory' vote).

Do not get in the way of the SPSD master plans and policies. Common sense has no place in Spokane Public Schools. None. They have no balls is about what it all comes down to.

SPS keeps control of the dates as the primary tenant. That is worth quite a bit.

Also the jobs.

The advisory vote is non binding, they really need to tell people to shove it.
Reminds me of the last episode of Game of Thrones when it’s suggested they let all the people decide on the King. Skip to about 1:45 in the video:

Do you people understand what an advisory vote is?

We people understand just fine.

It's 'those' people who can quite get their pea brain around the ill-advised 'mandate'. That whole thing was a clusterF*CK of epic proportions.

Again, I drink and I know things. And there's a couple pinheads who should be hung up in the public square for their namby-pamby/ride both sides of the fence political doubletalk on this one. And another one who tried to hit a $14 Million grand slam (parking garage) when he should have just settled for getting on base.

New information, new decision this time around hopefully. $350K per year in maintenance savings is big . Having a facility that sits empty 90% of the time is a waste. The PDF will book that thing up and use the sh*t out of it.

And, yeah, Walt Worthy will make some money off hotel bookings. Big f'ing deal. He's already loaded to the gills - being a mugwhump isn't going to change that.

This conversation is over. My bet is that GESA isn't ponying up $1.1 mil per year to have the spring game in Spokane.

We people understand just fine.

It's 'those' people who can quite get their pea brain around the ill-advised 'mandate'. That whole thing was a clusterF*CK of epic proportions.

Again, I drink and I know things. And there's a couple pinheads who should be hung up in the public square for their namby-pamby/ride both sides of the fence political doubletalk on this one. And another one who tried to hit a $14 Million grand slam (parking garage) when he should have just settled for getting on base.

New information, new decision this time around hopefully. $350K per year in maintenance savings is big . Having a facility that sits empty 90% of the time is a waste. The PDF will book that thing up and use the sh*t out of it.

And, yeah, Walt Worthy will make some money off hotel bookings. Big f'ing deal. He's already loaded to the gills - being a mugwhump isn't going to change that.
Walt’s got $$ but he’s lost a ton of cash this past year.

ADVERTISEMENT