ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming Service advice

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
So I am going to dump Dish, only reason I moved from Direct TV to Dish a few years back was because they carried the Pac 12 net work and Direct TV didn't. Well a few months back Dish dropped Root Sports, so no more Mariners or Krackin, plus it seems like once a year they are in a contract negotiation with some net work and then I don't get one of the major networks for a while, so I am going to drop dish, I could get local cable, but I was looking save some money and have more flexibility. So if someone has input on any of these let me know, it would be appreciated.

Based upon my research if I want sports Rubo TV is the way to go and it looks like I have to buy the sports package to get the Pac 12 network. The only other option is Sling TV, which is cheaper but doesn't carry nearly as many channels. In one review it looked like YouTubeTV carried the pac 12 , in another it didn't, so I am not sure if they do or don't. What really surprised me is the ACC and Big 10 and SEC have far more options than the Pac 12. Hopefully the pac 12 network and commisioner step up and get more streaming available. I am not going to Direct TV streaming, they still don't carry the pac 12, and the same problem with Dish, they are always in a pissing match with one of the networks, so you don't get it for 4-6 weeks.

So for those out there using the streaming services, let me know your likes and dislikes, and pro and cons of each, what set up you have and how it works for you.

Thanks again in advance.

I'm on YouTube tv. I really like it but yes the only downfall is no pac 12 or root. Other than that their channel lineup is better and it's cheaper. I'll just deal with it. I wish mlb tv didn't have stupid regional blackouts. I'd gladly pat the $100 or whatever for the mariners season but oh well.

I've gone with Sling for 4-5 years straight, but it's a bit of a crapshoot when we don't know what networks games will be on. It's also been a bit irritating that they've changed around the channel lineup and pricing, I've had to change my package 3x in 5 years to keep Pac-12.

Probably could have gotten away without Sling at all last year, only 2 of our road games were on Pac-12. 4 of the home games were, but didn't matter because I was attending live.

If you're watching most of the games on TV, I'm not sure there's a good single option, and it might get worse in the next couple years as the Fox/ESPN separation gets wider.

I dumped Dish a few months ago. I'm using Fubo for Root and 90% of the channels we would watch if anything was on. I also have MLB.TV and Discovery+ to fill in what Fubo was missing. Still paying 1/2 what Dish had me up to.

I think you know, the reason why DISH has occasional carriage disputes is because the do not want to raise their rates. Majority of DISH customers are over 50 years old, and many are on fixed incomes. They work really hard to not raise rates.

That said, you're correct. You have two choices. fuboTV, or Sling, (which Sling is owned by DISH). Personally, I think DISH, by far, has the best interface and technology of any television services. They blow away everything. Unfortuanlty, we don't watch hardly any regular programming anymore....when there is so much to stream.

That said, I just can't depart from DISH because of it's amazing technology, system, the Hopper, the remote, the 30 second skip, 15 seconds back, (much better than any other competitor). Unfortunately, we pay $146 a month and hardly ever watch it.....except for a few channels......and of course College Football, including P12N.

There is a bandaid for you. Find a friend or relative that has DISH. Have them share their User Name and Password. You can stream with DISH ANYWHERE, the Pac-12 Networks and all of DISH...via streaming, in your home for free. All you need is a friend or buddy. Heck, you can even Zelle them a bit each month. DISH does not care if you share to others. My brother freeloads off our account for free! DISHanywhere.com

That said, it's $1,752 a year to watch college football, and a few other shows, and programs. That's a lot....but it's the best TV technology in the world, and I simply choose not to depart from something that is so amazing.

Last edited:
You can watch virtually any game or sporting event you want with the exception of women's games, on VIPBOX on line for free. You'll have to click on 2-3 red x's and pop ups can appear, but it is legit and I have been using it for years. Don't expect HD quality, and it can freeze, on high demand games like the super bowl. I use it to supplement Sling coverage.

So I am going to dump Dish, only reason I moved from Direct TV to Dish a few years back was because they carried the Pac 12 net work and Direct TV didn't. Well a few months back Dish dropped Root Sports, so no more Mariners or Krackin, plus it seems like once a year they are in a contract negotiation with some net work and then I don't get one of the major networks for a while, so I am going to drop dish, I could get local cable, but I was looking save some money and have more flexibility. So if someone has input on any of these let me know, it would be appreciated.

Based upon my research if I want sports Rubo TV is the way to go and it looks like I have to buy the sports package to get the Pac 12 network. The only other option is Sling TV, which is cheaper but doesn't carry nearly as many channels. In one review it looked like YouTubeTV carried the pac 12 , in another it didn't, so I am not sure if they do or don't. What really surprised me is the ACC and Big 10 and SEC have far more options than the Pac 12. Hopefully the pac 12 network and commisioner step up and get more streaming available. I am not going to Direct TV streaming, they still don't carry the pac 12, and the same problem with Dish, they are always in a pissing match with one of the networks, so you don't get it for 4-6 weeks.

So for those out there using the streaming services, let me know your likes and dislikes, and pro and cons of each, what set up you have and how it works for you.

Thanks again in advance.
I

Thanks again in advance.

Thanks again in advance.
I love YouTubeTV despite the obvious. I actually buy Vidgo September - November just for the PAC-12 network in addition to YTTV.

Reactions: Observer11
I dumped Dish a few months ago. I'm using Fubo for Root and 90% of the channels we would watch if anything was on. I also have MLB.TV and Discovery+ to fill in what Fubo was missing. Still paying 1/2 what Dish had me up to.
I picked up FUBO a year ago just because of the PAC 12 channel and ROOT and I have liked it. For $90 plus taxes I get 180 channels and 1000 hours of DVR. No negative issues.

I love YouTubeTV despite the obvious. I actually buy Vidgo September - November just for the PAC-12 network in addition to YTTV.
Has Vidgo's quality improved? I tried it but gave up on it quickly because of picture quality, freezing, etc. were so poor. That was probably about 2-3 years ago when we switched to YouTubeTV.

Sling is more expensive, and I was close to bailing before they seemed to upgrade things last year.

Thanks again in advance.
FUBO works well, and it has Root and all of the pac 12 channels plus a ton of other sports channels

Thanks again in advance.
Psst(whisper mode)...Superbox S2pro. Purchased AT a Spokane home show from a booth. Latest generation of streaming boxes. This one has over 1200 channels. Virtually every sports channel (in English) that you would want/need. Only one that I've noticed missing is ESPN classic. Picture quality is HD, unlike older streaming boxes. Has EVERY NFL game and most MLB games every day. Slight delay (2-4 minutes) in broadcast. Look it up. We'll worth it. They run about $300 for a one-time investment. Just need decent internet. I've already said too much. Gotta go...that's all I have to say about that...

Last edited:
Psst(whisper mode)...Superbox S2pro. Purchased AT a Spokane home show from a booth. Latest generation of streaming boxes. This one has over 1200 channels. Virtually every sports channel (in English) that you would want/need. Only one that I've noticed missing is ESPN classic. Picture quality is HD, unlike older streaming boxes. Has EVERY NFL game and most MLB games every day. Slight delay (2-4 minutes) in broadcast. Look it up. We'll worth it. They run about $300 for a one-time investment. Just need decent internet. I've already said too much. Gotta go...that's all I have to say about that...
ESPN Classic closed down shop, I believe at the start of the year...

So does DirecTV Stream. We're buying DirecTV Stream just to watch ROOT Sports for the Mariners. Cancelling when baseball is over. It's painful. Both in quality and technology.
I quit supporting the M's years ago when it was apparent ownership gave no s**ts about fans or the product on the field and only about being a business. Even in an ownership transition, it hasn't changed. They own the majority stake in ROOT, so they ain't getting money from me.

Problem is ROOT has the M’s and Kraken.

I really only need ROOT. Pac 12. ESPN and espn2 Fox and FX1 on occasion.

Has Vidgo's quality improved? I tried it but gave up on it quickly because of picture quality, freezing, etc. were so poor. That was probably about 2-3 years ago when we switched to YouTubeTV.

Sling is more expensive, and I was close to bailing before they seemed to upgrade things last year.
It was good last fall. If you time your free week trial you can squeeze in two weeks of games and test too.

Reactions: SaveFerris
I use Sling from the last week of August to the first week of April…..and then cancel it until August. Their format kind of sucks but their streaming quality has improved significantly in the past couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT