ADVERTISEMENT

Stretching before practice

TrumpCoug

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2019
Leach wasn't a believer in it.....watching some of Rolo's coaches mic'd up in Hawaii shows them walking around chopping it up with players as they stretch out.

I believe we can all say we were happy with the lack of injuries during the Leach era, was it attributed to S & C, the sand pit, easing into practice without stretching.

Thoughts and opinions on the differing philosophies regarding "to strech or not to stretch" before practice.

This site has (beyond) officially reached the point of over analyzing any and every possible aspect of the football team.

I guess no offense intended, and this doesn’t necessarily directly pertain to you specifically, but there are people spending all day, every day on this site posting “expert” analysis/opinions on everything from recruiting to coaching philosophies to offensive schemes to defensive schemes to strength and conditioning techniques to fundraising to...stretching vs non stretching?

Holy cow, is everybody on this site retired, because nobody seems to work and everybody apparently has 7 decades of life experience and “expertise” to offer.

Leach wasn't a believer in it.....watching some of Rolo's coaches mic'd up in Hawaii shows them walking around chopping it up with players as they stretch out.

I believe we can all say we were happy with the lack of injuries during the Leach era, was it attributed to S & C, the sand pit, easing into practice without stretching.

Thoughts and opinions on the differing philosophies regarding "to stretch or not to stretch" before practice.
Stretching is something you do at your locker either nude or in a jock strap before practice/ game day. I think a better topic might whether they should have these open-round locker rooms or the aisle locker rooms where only fellow position players should have to endure that junk.

This site has (beyond) officially reached the point of over analyzing any and every possible aspect of the football team.

I guess no offense intended, and this doesn’t necessarily directly pertain to you specifically, but there are people spending all day, every day on this site posting “expert” analysis/opinions on everything from recruiting to coaching philosophies to offensive schemes to defensive schemes to strength and conditioning techniques to fundraising to...stretching vs non stretching?

Holy cow, is everybody on this site retired, because nobody seems to work and everybody apparently has 7 decades of life experience and “expertise” to offer.

Lighten up Francis....its been slow around here since the Rolo hire, just throwing out some topics for discussion. Not once have I ever suggested I was an expert on anything. If you don't like my posts (or others posts for that matter) for god sakes put me on ignore.

BTW not retired, happen to run a very successful high tech recruiting firm and love WSU athletics. You on the other hand seem to have a fixation on prison wallets and being an all american @sshole.

Lighten up Francis....its been slow around here since the Rolo hire, just throwing out some topics for discussion. Not once have I ever suggested I was an expert on anything. If you don't like my posts (or others posts for that matter) for god sakes put me on ignore.

BTW not retired, happen to run a very successful high tech recruiting firm and love WSU athletics. You on the other hand seem to have a fixation on prison wallets and being an all american @sshole.
This is good news for you strokee, you seem like a high tech kinda guy, send him your resume!

“...and this doesn’t necessarily pertain to you specifically...”. Maybe you should lighten up, dickhead.

This is good news for you strokee, you seem like a high tech kinda guy, send him your resume!
To whom am I sending my resume: the Trump-loving dickhead or the FBS head coach that we’re all more knowledgeable and qualified?

strokee23, I guess I am almost as old as you suggest. Maybe my 7 (or was it 8? we old boomers have trouble remembering things) stints in physical therapy and natural tendency to talk to other people have caused me to believe a few things about this topic. For what it is worth:

1.) The benefits of stretching vary with the individual, and probably also with the muscle group. Some folks seem to need to stretch before anything physical; for others it is not important. Just from anecdotal observation over a lot of decades, those who have built a lot of muscle via lifting seem more often to benefit from initial stretching, FWIW.

2.) The Leach Beach had an immediate impact on the high ankle strain situation. Immediate. I had to form a conclusion from that. Pretty clear demonstration.

Im a fan a movement to get warmed up. Walking lunges, etc. Whatever it takes to get 100+ kids ready to move at a high speed. Not everyone is the same. Try some of everything.

strokee23, I guess I am almost as old as you suggest. Maybe my 7 (or was it 8? we old boomers have trouble remembering things) stints in physical therapy and natural tendency to talk to other people have caused me to believe a few things about this topic. For what it is worth:

1.) The benefits of stretching vary with the individual, and probably also with the muscle group. Some folks seem to need to stretch before anything physical; for others it is not important. Just from anecdotal observation over a lot of decades, those who have built a lot of muscle via lifting seem more often to benefit from initial stretching, FWIW.

2.) The Leach Beach had an immediate impact on the high ankle strain situation. Immediate. I had to form a conclusion from that. Pretty clear demonstration.

I think the topic here is the coach talking to players, slapping them on the shoulder pads while they’re stretching, and overall building a more personal relationship. Not actual stretching. Leach certainly made sure guys were physically ready to perform. The ladders coming out of half were an obvious example.

The static stretching 40+ year olds did in youth sports sitting in a circle doing butterflies and touching your toes has been out for 10 years or so. “Active warmups” is the way it’s done now.

What else is the message board for? S&C is as big a part of football as anything, and it’s an interesting topic.

I think the topic here is the coach talking to players, slapping them on the shoulder pads while they’re stretching, and overall building a more personal relationship. Not actual stretching. Leach certainly made sure guys were physically ready to perform. The ladders coming out of half were an obvious example.

The static stretching 40+ year olds did in youth sports sitting in a circle doing butterflies and touching your toes has been out for 10 years or so. “Active warmups” is the way it’s done now.

It wasn't a circle but I do believe I spotted a butterfly :)

Reactions: dgibbons
Certainly no expert but I read somewhere that some gentle stretching after practice has been found to be more effective than doing it before the practice session. Just thought that I would throw this into the discussion.

Easy ... the sandpit

Thoughts and opinions on the differing philosophies regarding "to strech or not to stretch" before practice.

I'm actually a bit surprised that D1 football coaches do not seem to have incorporated Zumba or something similar into the workouts. That would seem to check multiple boxes. And yes, I'm serious about that. My disco dance PE instructor was a football assistant coach, and he told us that they had the wide receivers doing ballet moves; more for stretching & specific muscle development, but also somewhat to add some grace to the movements.

I'm actually a bit surprised that D1 football coaches do not seem to have incorporated Zumba or something similar into the workouts. That would seem to check multiple boxes. And yes, I'm serious about that. My disco dance PE instructor was a football assistant coach, and he told us that they had the wide receivers doing ballet moves; more for stretching & specific muscle development, but also somewhat to add some grace to the movements.
I recall Lynn Swann attributing a lot of his agility to his dancing background, which makes perfect sense

Yoga too.

Reactions: Coug90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT