ADVERTISEMENT

Summary article

The last paragraph of that article is by far the most intriguing. Mention of how the regionality of college athletics has been lost but makes zero sense. I see a huge drop off in viewership based on time zones and if WSU & OSU can keep the bandaid on the PAC12 for now, I can almost see these networks restructuring deals based on yet another conference realignment.

F CF, the way it is headed. They have gutted all the things I’ve always enjjoyed about CF. I could list them all here, but the folks here, already know all of them.

The last paragraph of that article is by far the most intriguing. Mention of how the regionality of college athletics has been lost but makes zero sense. I see a huge drop off in viewership based on time zones and if WSU & OSU can keep the bandaid on the PAC12 for now, I can almost see these networks restructuring deals based on yet another conference realignment.
There will absolutely be another realignment, and it won’t be long. The only question is which way it will go.

Either it’s going to be a double-down on what they’ve already done, taking the top 25 (or 32) money programs and making them their own league, focusing all attention on them and casting everyone else out. NFL Lite.

Or, the whole thing will fail, viewership will fall off, and it’ll start moving back to what it’s been before.

I expect option 1, at least for the nearer term.

I believe the next “cut” in College football will happen when the Super Teams ditch the NCAA entirely and form their own league of 30-40 teams.

I believe the next “cut” in College football will happen when the Super Teams ditch the NCAA entirely and form their own league of 30-40 teams.
This is a real possibility. The NCAA is a leach and there’s no need for its governing body when that top group of schools have ample resources on their own.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
This is a real possibility. The NCAA is a leach and there’s no need for its governing body when that top group of schools have ample resources on their own.
I agree, they're likely to feel they'd be better off on their own...and maybe they would be. The one thing that could tie them at least partially to the NCAA is that they're going to need other teams to play.

They could opt to take the best 32, sever all NCAA ties, have all games be within and between those 32 teams, and follow an NFL-like divisional model to a playoff. But, I think if they do that, they end up with a net loss of viewers.

I'm sure the networks have rooms full of people analyzing how that would work and which 32 teams to take.

But don't forget about the other 30 or so sports. What happens to them. Is it going to be the NFL minor league for the super teams and the NCAA is left dealing with all the small schools and also the minor leaguers other sports?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT