ADVERTISEMENT

Suudy, you around these days?

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
I'm curious as to your take on the PAC12 officiating this year. It seems to have declined from a level that was already laughable. If I recall correctly, you've been an official for many years.

I'm not Suudy, but I think we know the root cause.

Not sure you're aware, but the officiating crew, most, if not all of them are not Pac-12 officials.

When the PAC 12 announced they weren't going to play, what did the best officials in the PAC 12 conference do? They went to work for other conferences, because they needed to work. So they went out and found jobs in other conferences.

As a result, the PAC 12 does not have its best officials on the field.

That could be the problem.

So, what do we have now? Retirees and Big Sky officials. Nothing wrong with them, they just arn't the normal Tier 1 Pac-12 officials.

This is why we're seeing what we're seeing. Sloppy officiating with numerous errors. Ya gotta believe this is having an impact on the game and conference, in whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 79COUG
I'm not Suudy, but I think we know the root cause.

Not sure you're aware, but the officiating crew, most, if not all of them are not Pac-12 officials.

When the PAC 12 announced they weren't going to play, what did the best officials in the PAC 12 conference do? They went to work for other conferences, because they needed to work. So they went out and found jobs in other conferences.

As a result, the PAC 12 does not have its best officials on the field.

That could be the problem.

So, what do we have now? Retirees and Big Sky officials. Nothing wrong with them, they just arn't the normal Tier 1 Pac-12 officials.

This is why we're seeing what we're seeing. Sloppy officiating with numerous errors. Ya gotta believe this is having an impact on the game and conference, in whole.
Thanks MI. That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Maybe I’m imagining crews but I still feel like I’m seeing the usual pac 12 main stays heads. Mothershed, Kevin Mar, guy who looks and sounds like Fred Stoller, etc. who are the worst in the business. Why would conferences take the dudes who couldn’t even crack jobs from those guys?

Reactions: 79COUG
As a former P12 official (not football), I can assure you that the SEC, ACC, Big10/12 are not lining up to poach P12 officials.
I don't think we said poaching.

I said that when the season was cancelled back in March, many Pac-12 officials went out to look for work. They took and committed jobs outside the conference, which left many positions to be filled. These positions were filled by retirees, and other conferences such as the Big Sky, Mountain West, etc.

I said that when the season was cancelled back in March, many Pac-12 officials went out to look for work. They took and committed jobs outside the conference, which left many positions to be filled. These positions were filled by retirees, and other conferences such as the Big Sky, Mountain West, etc.
I think his poaching comment was a statement regarding the overall low quality of officiating.

You stated that P12 officials went to work for other conferences. Perhaps I misused the term "poach", but in my experience as a NCAA official, jobs in Power 5 conferences are not easy to come by in any sport. Unless there was a mass exudus of existing SEC, ACC, BIG10/12 officials, I don't see how or why those conferences would give games to officials from the P12. I have worked with officials around the country, and for the most part, they share our opinion on P12 football officials.

Reactions: SDCoug
ADVERTISEMENT