ADVERTISEMENT

Tay Martin = Transfer Portal

Tough kid, good player, worked hard, I wish him the best.

First, Thanks Tay for your efforts at WSU, you've been an excellent Coug! Good luck at your new gig! I hope you get to go back close to home, so that your family and friends get to see you play ! (SEC). Go Cougs!

Unless someone has invented a rule change, he still will have to sit out a year. Like everybody else in the PAC. And I don't think there is time for him to land anywhere and play this year, even if some league actually does so.

Unless someone has invented a rule change, he still will have to sit out a year. Like everybody else in the PAC. And I don't think there is time for him to land anywhere and play this year, even if some league actually does so.

I'm sure a hardship waiver would be a high probability given the Covid situation and how far WSU was from his family.

etown, that may be true. But when has the NCAA ever moved quickly on a hardship waiver? Maybe for next season, but it seems way too late for this season.

etown, that may be true. But when has the NCAA ever moved quickly on a hardship waiver? Maybe for next season, but it seems way too late for this season.

I would imagine these new circumstances call for new options. The big question will be with what the NCAA grants for the first Pac/Big guy that’s gonna leave because he wants to play football this year. Their decision in that case will dictate a lot about the future for transfer rules.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I would imagine these new circumstances call for new options. The big question will be with what the NCAA grants for the first Pac/Big guy that’s gonna leave because he wants to play football this year. Their decision in that case will dictate a lot about the future for transfer rules.

Still has to be an open scholarship slot.

Still has to be an open scholarship slot.

Between academic issues, opting out, and standard kids being kids, there will be teams that have spots. And I bet some coaches would be willing to get a bit strict depending on who wanted to come on over.

Wish the young man well and hope that he gains immediate eligibility. That said, there are a few hurdles in the way. The timing is late and the NCAA is sluggish under the best of circumstances while they currently have other problems on the plate. A hardship waiver, as etown has noted, might facilitate things but I am not so sure that it would be enough for immediately eligibility. I have no doubt that there are a number of HCs who would be delighted to add a wr of his ability to their roster but will be unable to achieve that for this coming season. Might happen but I just do not see it in the cards. I would think that taking a sabbatical year and then having choices more extensive than just the SEC and the Big12 would be a more attractive decision. My money says that the SEC, Big12 and ACC are going to have to deal with continual outbreaks of Covid19, possibly to the point where their seasons end up being attenuated. Why submit yourself to that? Mo betta to sit out the year and look forward to the 2021 season. Of course, he could have done that in Pullman and on scholarship but that is another issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Between academic issues, opting out, and standard kids being kids, there will be teams that have spots. And I bet some coaches would be willing to get a bit strict depending on who wanted to come on over.

It’s August 18. If it was June 18, it might be different. Tay has a redshirt, so he doesn’t have to hurry.

Seemed like a good kid, and I hope he lands somewhere that suits him and his family well. Decision won’t impact WSU much on the field.

Good for him. According to my daughter football players are already mingling at student parties. Ironically, he’s got a better chance of staying safe at a school that’s playing - and testing - and supervising - then he does here.

Good for him. According to my daughter football players are already mingling at student parties. Ironically, he’s got a better chance of staying safe at a school that’s playing - and testing - and supervising - then he does here.
Heard the same from my daughter...and she just moved into her dorm on Sunday!

Thomas probably has his degree already. Martin may as well, who knows.

Martin doesn't surprise me much. I figured he'd transfer before last year. Thomas feels like nothing more than a kid looking to play this year. That may be the case with Martin as well.

No disrespect to the kids, but the NCAA, conferences, colleges, AD's, Presidents, etc, really need to discourage transfers, turn off the transfer portal during the Covid Pandemic, and during the time that the Big 10, Pac 12, and any other P5 conference, Mountain West, etc, either cancels the season til spring or until 2021+ season.

The reason for this, that, is that A HELL of a LOT of players could transfer to SEC, etc, just to be able to play.

Imagine 1/3 of entire rosters transfering out, DECIMATING ENTIRE ROSTERS at LOTS of P5, Mountain West, etc, colleges.

If that were to happen, it would be DISASTEROUS for College Football Competivity.

The SEC, other conferences, if they decide to play, would get the BEST OF THE BEST, transfering to their colleges, to the point, where they would beat all the decimated Colleges from the other conferences 100-0, etc.

It would be HORRIBLY unfair, and uncompetitive.

And that would turn off fans of College football.

And that would cause College Football to lose even more money.

So its in the best interest of the College Football Game, Colleges, Fans, Money, Student Athletes even(After all, if the game suffers because of transfers, that will indulirectly cause and effect wise to cause Student Athletes as a whole to maybe probably suffer), to temporarily discourage, shut down transfers during this kind of period of time, to avoid DECIMATING the rosters of colleges, to avoid hurting College football, etc, as a whole.

Apart from the concerning financial impact of the season getting shelved, these are some of the reasons why I'm glad it happened. New coach, COVID, a mini scandal with K Woods...This is a good time to see who wants to be here and who doesn't. I did not have a good feeling about WSU's football team heading into the abbreviated season. Rolo's disappointed, but he should consider it a blessing, IMO.

Reactions: mikalalas
Apart from the concerning financial impact of the season getting shelved, these are some of the reasons why I'm glad it happened. New coach, COVID, a mini scandal with K Woods...This is a good time to see who wants to be here and who doesn't. I did not have a good feeling about WSU's football team heading into the abbreviated season. Rolo's disappointed, but he should consider it a blessing, IMO.

Agree with this.

WSU's WR Corp IS STACKED. But despite that Tay Martin was one of the top 1,2,3 WR's in that WR Corp, transfering out.

And altho Woods, wasnt a starter, he would have been the 5,6,7,8 of the bench.

If another 1,2 top WR transfers out, gets injured, in addition to Tay Transfering out, that would decimate WSU's WR Corp.

But if Tay didnt Transfer, stayed, didnt get injured, played, etc, then having 1,2 Top WR transfering out, getting injured, would not decimate WSU WR Corp.

So WSU losing Tay hurts a lot more then people think.

And thats justvthe WR corp, a supposed position of strength.

Add in the bad defense from last year. And the Covid making it so that Rolo as a new coach have no spring ball, shortened or no fall camp.

Add to that, Rolo, staff being new. Add to that, players getting transfered out, sick with Covid, opting out.

Add to that lesser recruiting.

And the Woods/Rolo supposed/Fake scandal.

And the Dominic Silvels thing.

And the players demands list.

Etc, Etc, Etc,

With all that WSU would only win 4 games, go 4-8.

But instead of that happening, WSU/Rolo, get a year to install their system. Get another, hopefully better recruiting class. Team gets a lot more Seniors, Juniors, Sophmores, instead of Freshman, Sophmores, Everybody gets 1 more year under their belt.

The Woods, Rolo, Dominic Silvels scandals hopefully blow over.

And as long as 23% of the roster doesnt transfer to SEC to be able to play this year.

WSU would probably win 6,7,8 games next year, season, after this year, season.

Heard the same from my daughter...and she just moved into her dorm on Sunday!
Was in Pullman Saturday morning through Monday morning. Saw more partying than I expected. Nothing like your typical Saturday night in the fall. Students are definitely back, though.

Not sure what your daughter’s dorm was like but the Honors Hall was a virtual morgue by the time my wife and I left.

Was in Pullman Saturday morning through Monday morning. Saw more partying than I expected. Nothing like your typical Saturday night in the fall. Students are definitely back, though.

Not sure what your daughter’s dorm was like but the Honors Hall was a virtual morgue by the time my wife and I left.
She's in Northside now. Was originally assigned to Streit. She said it's very quiet...less than half full.

is she enjoying the experience so far ?
Yea, last week was "boring" because the halls are pretty empty and quiet. Classes start online today. But all in all, she's a pretty happy kid...how could you not be going from Odessa WA to campus life in Pullman?

Our daughter is one year away....she's now in her senior year at HS. Washington State is on her short list....but unfortunately it's not her first choice. However, we'll support her choice, even though she's been indoctrinated COUGS since birth. Happy for you guys....that your girls are on campus. That is so cool, (even though it's quieter than normal).

Our daughter is one year away....she's now in her senior year at HS. Washington State is on her short list....but unfortunately it's not her first choice. However, we'll support her choice, even though she's been indoctrinated COUGS since birth. Happy for you guys....that your girls are on campus. That is so cool, (even though it's quieter than normal).
You can't tease that without giving the rest of the list... judgements must be made!!

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Yes, our youngest daughter is a senior this year also. Unfortunate WSU is not on her list either. She leaves tomorrow to visit San Diego State and Cal Poly. Thursday she is taking an OV to Vanguard and meeting up with the track coach She wants to be in the sun at a bigger school and/ or run track at a smaller one.

Reactions: 79COUG
ea, last week was "boring" because the halls are pretty empty and quiet. Classes start online today. But all in all, she's a pretty happy kid...how could you not be going from Odessa WA to campus life in Pullman?

Odessa is that a suburb of hickory ?

My daughter is still planning on Wazzu, but she has already applied to KU and Wichita State and been accepted. We are going to wait to see what kind of scholarships that WSU gives her before she makes a decision.

She can attend Wichita State without borrowing any money but they don't have ChemE. KU has a very solid ChemE program with one of the best labs in the country but she'd rather be a Coug than a Jayhawk.

My in-laws that are K-State fans have poisoned the well for her with their political leanings and she won't even consider the local land grant college.

Hope those that are above talking about their kids see them have a change of heart, but at the same time, if my daughter decides to go a different direction.....I'll support her 100%....well except UW, because to hell with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT