ADVERTISEMENT

Tay Martin

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Sounds like Tay and Leach had another little dust up in practice yesterday that led to Tay being "excused" from drills.

I don't want to pick on Tay too much, but he's always been hesitant to catch balls over the middle. Classic case of alligator arms. I can't help but wonder if this isn't why he and Leach have bumped heads on occasion.

With the emergence of Rodrick Fisher, this is going to be an interesting position battle to follow.

I thought going into spring that Tay's weight/muscle gains might help with some of his hesitant play tendencies, but maybe they are still there. I also know that he seemed to lack effort on plays as well. He has the measurables and athleticism, he just needs to find some killer instinct like Gabe Marks had.

Calvin Jackson Jr really emerged late last season, and he looks very confident going into this season. Fisher still might be a year away from fully unleashing his potential, but he has some serious wheels, and he will be a big play threat.

Regardless, our WR group from underclassmen to upper is very exciting.

Seemed like Tay was having a good start to camp but it's not good when a potential starters is "excused" from camp. He's a talent but hopefully he figures out how to coexist with Leach. Obviously between the 2 Leach isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Seemed like Tay was having a good start to camp but it's not good when a potential starters is "excused" from camp. He's a talent but hopefully he figures out how to coexist with Leach. Obviously between the 2 Leach isn't going anywhere.

To be clear, he wasn't excused from camp. He was excused from drills yesterday.

Anyone who dons the crimson and gray is good in my book, and I wouldn't besmirch any of them except for obvious reasons.

That being said, next man up. For his sake I hope he figures it out, but if not the team doesn't need a player who doesn't want to do what is asked of them.

If the kids can't or won't do what is asked of a particular position, it is on the coach to find somewhere else for him to be successful. Whether it be another position or another school.

Has a bit of a Marquess Wilson smell to it...hope he's not thinking too highly of himself and that his talent alone will maintain his starting position sans hard work and effort to do all the little stuff Leach requires.

To be clear, he wasn't excused from camp. He was excused from drills yesterday.
Correct he was excused to S&C. General point still stands but at the same time I don't want to make a mountain out of stuff that happens at times between player and coach.

Correct he was excused to S&C. General point still stands but at the same time I don't want to make a mountain out of stuff that happens at times between player and coach.

Exactly. I wasn't correcting you, just trying to clarify that it may have been nothing more than a kick in the ass during one isolated practice. Hell, I saw Belichick barking at Tom Brady during practice last week. Hopefully it's just a "parenting" moment.

.....With the emergence of Rodrick Fisher, this is going to be an interesting position battle to follow.
Could you fill us in on this emergence? I've not heard him mentioned in reports. Calvin Jackson Yes. Not Fisher.

Anyone who dons the crimson and gray is good in my book, and I wouldn't besmirch any of them except for obvious reasons.

That being said, next man up. For his sake I hope he figures it out, but if not the team doesn't need a player who doesn't want to do what is asked of them.
Yup. Marquis Wilson was pretty damn talented too. Leach knows what he’s doing, Tay can take advantage of a great opportunity or piss it away. It’s his choice and if he a cant figure it out the next guy in line will benefit. Some guys have to learn life lessons the hard way. Hope he gets himself motivated because he can be a great player with a great future if he wants to be.

Tay stands out when he is going up against inferior opponents, however when he plays against top of the line pac 12 defenses his production is way down. To be honest he doesn't really stand out that much at practice. Its 1 thing to beat a guy 1 on 1 in drills, but when they scrimmage he tends to disappear. I hope he steps it up. Team could really use a motivated determined Tay Martin. I know Jackson and Fisher are both really hungry for reps.

Reactions: random soul
Could you fill us in on this emergence? I've not heard him mentioned in reports. Calvin Jackson Yes. Not Fisher.

Well, he had the most catches of any WR in practice yesterday, and from what I've heard, he's having a great camp overall.

Tay stands out when he is going up against inferior opponents, however when he plays against top of the line pac 12 defenses his production is way down. To be honest he doesn't really stand out that much at practice. Its 1 thing to beat a guy 1 on 1 in drills, but when they scrimmage he tends to disappear. I hope he steps it up. Team could really use a motivated determined Tay Martin. I know Jackson and Fisher are both really hungry for reps.

This is accurate. His best days were v. Oregon State (8 catches, 119 yards with 2 TDs) and Arizona (7 catches, 124 yards, 1 TD). Here are his stats v. other Pac-12 schools:
USC: 3 receptions, 1 yard, no TDs.
Utah: 5 for 30 yards, 1 TD.
Oregon: 6 for 25, no TDs.
Stanford: 5 for 13, 1 TD.
Colorado: 3 for 34, no TDs.
UW: 3 for 13, no TDs.

He built much of his acclaim in 2018 v. nonconference foes:
Wyoming: 5 for 73, no TDs.
San Jose St: 6 for 68, 2 TDs.
EWU: 13 for 149, 1 TD.

He had 4 catches for 35 yards v. Iowa State in the bowl game.

What I saw of him against better defenses is something you'd expect of a player lacking strength. Utah and UW, particularly, beat him up at the LOS. One mutt corner essentially punched Martin in the face early on, and he seemed intimidated from that point on. Keep in mind that blocking also is part of his job, and he may be quite good at it, and he'll get better as he gets bigger and stronger. Keep in mind that he was not redshirted, so it's not all that surprising that better defenses limited his production.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShockandAweWSU

The day that Martin was relegated to conditioning, only 21 passes were thrown in the 11 on 11 drills. Fisher caught six of those passes, and 4 of them were touchdowns.

Reactions: Ffffws
This is accurate. His best days were ....

Thanks for digging that up and laying it out. In fairness, most players clean up against easier opponents, but those numbers are pretty telling, as are the UW and Utah anecdotes.

He just needs to keep working.

Looking at the scrimmage highlights of Tay & reading the Spokesman Report, looks like Tay played with a bit more fire under his ass last night. Including running over fellow Louisiana native Bryce Beekman who left the field a bit dizzy after the collision.

Looking at the scrimmage highlights of Tay & reading the Spokesman Report, looks like Tay played with a bit more fire under his ass last night. Including running over fellow Louisiana native Bryce Beekman who left the field a bit dizzy after the collision.

He caught a pass over the middle and then maneuvered quite well after that. A coach can strike matches until he's red in the face, but the fire must always come from within a player.

I think you're wrong. Leach forced Tay into a dark closet and then bolted the door. There might have been some mild electric shock also involved.

Reactions: taf88
Ah yes, freezing temperatures on a Pullman September.

Doesn’t happen often but it does happen

Ah yes, freezing temperatures on a Pullman September.

Unless he was at Leach Beach around 12 a.m. on Sept. 12, 2012, he never would have experienced freezing temps (the 12 a.m. low was 28 on the date).
It's been awhile since I read the report, but the "accusation" concerned an early morning "roll." I might be wrong. So, let's take a look at the coldest 6 a.m. temps for September 2012 in Pullman, Washington (source: www.timeanddate.com/weather).
Sept. 2 - 39 degrees F
Sept 4 - 41 degrees
Sept. 11 - 37
Sept. 12- 36
Sept. 16 - 39
Sept. 26 - 36
Sept. 30 - 37.

So, nothing at 32 degrees or below.

Last edited:
Unless he was at Leach Beach around 12 a.m. on Sept. 12, 2012, he never would have experienced freezing temps (the 12 a.m. low was 28 on the date).
It's been awhile since I read the report, but the "accusation" concerned an early morning "roll." I might be wrong. So, let's take a look at the coldest 6 a.m. temps for September 2012 in Pullman, Washington (source: www.timeanddate.com/weather).
Sept. 2 - 39 degrees F
Sept 4 - 41 degrees
Sept. 11 - 37
Sept. 12- 36
Sept. 16 - 39
Sept. 26 - 36
Sept. 30 - 37.

So, nothing at 32 degrees or

No wonder i don't google as I got different information. https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/wa/pullman/KPUW/date/2012-9-12

And let me say the following. Lets say for one moment I believe Leach was intimately involved how the players were rolled, he is way too smart to have his finger prints anywhere near it.

Second, no one ever accused Leach of ordering a spraying of the players. I am certain he told the S and C coach to roll them. That I don't think is in question. Moos thought the procedure by the S and C coach was not appropriate and he stopped it.

Can you guys not derail another thread with this?

Normally, I wouldn't care and would mind my own business, but Scott ends up just deleting these threads that get sideways.

Can you guys not derail another thread with this?

Normally, I wouldn't care and would mind my own business, but Scott ends up just deleting these threads that get sideways.
football season is here, you better get your big boy pants on.

Tron is back, yaki is back, and apparently sponge is being allowed to post under that psuedonymn now too.

We haven't even seen the first aPaulagist thread yet...

No wonder i don't google as I got different information. https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/wa/pullman/KPUW/date/2012-9-12

And let me say the following. Lets say for one moment I believe Leach was intimately involved how the players were rolled, he is way too smart to have his finger prints anywhere near it.

Second, no one ever accused Leach of ordering a spraying of the players. I am certain he told the S and C coach to roll them. That I don't think is in question. Moos thought the procedure by the S and C coach was not appropriate and he stopped it.

Can you now use your newly found google powers to see if anyone accused the staff of spraying players with a hose on the one day you say it was 32 or below, or whatever?

Reactions: YakiCoug
Can you now use your newly found google powers to see if anyone accused the staff of spraying players with a hose on the one day you say it was 32 or below, or whatever?
At least we can agree there was cold/freezing temps in September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT