ADVERTISEMENT

Texas offers Graham Harrell $6.5mm for 3 years fully guaranteed to be OC

PINGDUDE4

Hall Of Fame
Nov 14, 2010
These salaries are becoming insane.

But I thought you guys might be interested in this given his history at WSU etc..

They’re paying him $2.17M to be an OC?! How much they gonna pay their new DC? $3M?

They’re paying him $2.17M to be an OC?! How much they gonna pay their new DC? $3M?

Probably the same. I am a Texas fan and alum and am not in favor of this stuff to prop up and inept Head Coach.

However it is interesting the savings WSU gets by having Leach also serve as OC.

Reactions: ShockandAweWSU
Probably the same. I am a Texas fan and alum and am not in favor of this stuff to prop up and inept Head Coach.

However it is interesting the savings WSU gets by having Leach also serve as OC.

This seems a little over the top from a Texas perspective. If Herman does poorly enough to get canned (which could even be something like 8-4 and getting pasted by Okie, and pretty much anything worse than that), you then have an OC you've guaranteed a lot of money to for two subsequent years, either hamstringing any coach you'd want to hire in that scenario or, more likely, requiring Texas to buy out two more years of Graham.

That said, I could see Harrell demanding something like this due to being a HC candidate at some G of 5s and due to this very issue with Herman's potential lame-duck status. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't take something like $1.7m and the 3-year guarantee, though. The G of 5s he's been rumored to be a candidate at could barely pay their head coaches 7 figs.

I thought they hired Herman because he was an offensive genius at Houston and at Ohio State......well we don't have to worry about USC running the air raid anymore........

This seems a little over the top from a Texas perspective. If Herman does poorly enough to get canned (which could even be something like 8-4 and getting pasted by Okie, and pretty much anything worse than that), you then have an OC you've guaranteed a lot of money to for two subsequent years, either hamstringing any coach you'd want to hire in that scenario or, more likely, requiring Texas to buy out two more years of Graham.

That said, I could see Harrell demanding something like this due to being a HC candidate at some G of 5s and due to this very issue with Herman's potential lame-duck status. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't take something like $1.7m and the 3-year guarantee, though. The G of 5s he's been rumored to be a candidate at could barely pay their head coaches 7 figs.

That's kinda what Texas does. Only it's really over the top, not just a little over the top.

And the cure for any of those problems to spend more money.

The revenue list of schools posted recently had Texas at the top, at a quarter of a billion. A million here, a million there, pretty soon we're talking real money.

For 1/6 the price
Why they hired the last HC....I don't know. They seem to be willing to spend more than the current $600,000 to get a good candidate. Maybe they offered him 1-1.2 million and then Texas comes back with 1.7 just as a coordinator. Depends on what direction he wants to go. 12 months ago he was making what..I think $300,000 at North Texas.

I live down here in Vegas and it sounds like the AD like Arroyo from Oregon and the DC from Utah as well. . Sarkisian was being mentioned as well, but I don't know if Vegas can afford him.

Why they hired the last HC....I don't know. They seem to be willing to spend more than the current $600,000 to get a good candidate. Maybe they offered him 1-1.2 million and then Texas comes back with 1.7 just as a coordinator. Depends on what direction he wants to go. 12 months ago he was making what..I think $300,000 at North Texas.
On that note, can you believe we paid Paul Wulff $600k to set the program back a half a decade? I know it's several years ago now, but legit schools were paying coaches 3, or 5, or 10 times more. Unreal. Sterk.

UT is run by fools, they have 250 million dollars, why not just hire Leach and get the real thing instead of his understudy ? (I don't want to see leach leave wsu)……..if they are going to hire GH for 2 million/yr just pay a real HC 5.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I live down here in Vegas and it sounds like the AD like Arroyo from Oregon and the DC from Utah as well. . Sarkisian was being mentioned as well, but I don't know if Vegas can afford him.
UNLV hiring Arroyo would be music to the ears of most Duck fans, who blame him incessantly for "holding back Justin Herbert" and for unimaginative play calling in general. They worry that his friendship with Mario will protect him from losing his OC job...and they are probably right. So a convenient way to replace him without canning him is with a head coaching job. Duck fans' fingers are crossed.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Cougzz
UT has FU money, they should hire urban meyer or stoops instead of a clown. Give PJ Fleck 8-10 million, they can afford it.

UT is run by fools, they have 250 million dollars, why not just hire Leach and get the real thing instead of his understudy ? (I don't want to see leach leave wsu)……..if they are going to hire GH for 2 million/yr just pay a real HC 5.

Not so sure about that, exactly, but I don't understand why UT has had to go into the G of 5 to get guys like Strong or Herman, either. It has resulted in extending a few bad years at the end of Brown's tenure into what now is a lost decade. Screwing around like that is how these blue bloods get in trouble. It's similar to what USC has done post-Carroll with Kiffen, Sarkisian, and now Helton. In the case of the first two, sure, maybe there was reason to think they'd do OK at the time, but why take the risk at all?

When you're USC, and even more so Texas, why dick around with paying one of those guys $4 or $5m a year for a 40% chance of getting a coach 70% as good, when you can spend a couple million a year more and get a legit, proven Power 5 head coach that truly scares people (like Urban) for $6 or 7m a year? If the unproven guy does well, you have to give him a raise to that level or near it anyway, and if he doesn't, you pay more in the long run anyway due to having to buy out all of these guys and then get the next flavor of the month.

Sure, things have to line up in terms of availability, money, interest, etc., but interest and availability are both a function of money in most cases.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Im coming to the conclusion that a lot of ADs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Like Jennifer Cohen. or the ninkempoop at FSU that hired willie taggart and now they cant hire a coach because they owe willie 18 million dollars...…...WTF ? Don't they follow college football ?

Im coming to the conclusion that a lot of ADs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Like Jennifer Cohen. or the ninkempoop at FSU that hired willie taggart and now they cant hire a coach because they owe willie 18 million dollars...…...WTF ? Don't they follow college football ?

I’m not sure I’m reading your post right, but If you’re saying Jen Cohen has been bad...I can’t agree . She’s done nothing but make great hires.

In reality most ADs at the big schools don't really make the hires. The deep pocketed donors and trustees make the hires.

Reactions: Choey
I’m not sure I’m reading your post right, but If you’re saying Jen Cohen has been bad...I can’t agree . She’s done nothing but make great hires.
She’s a she and that’s enough for Roy. All else is “irrelevant”.

no I think she made a very bad decision in replacing CP with Jimmy Lake with no coaching search or interviewing process. I don't care if her name is chuck or ralph, I think it was a major blunder and time will prove that out in spades.

Im not going to address gender identity politics, political correctness or any such nonsense as its irrelevant.

Last edited:
She’s a she and that’s enough for Roy. All else is “irrelevant”.
are you a she ? I cant see any reason why you would be so offended I used the term "lady" , I had no idea who their AD was , male or female when this discussion began-I was astounded at the poor hiring process however.

Very odd. Is this AD beyond criticism because it is a female ? my reaction initially and comments were made without knowledge of the AD's gender or even name.

no I think she made a very bad decision in replacing CP with Jimmy Lake with no coaching search or interviewing process. I don't care if her name is chuck or ralph, I think it was a major blunder and time will prove that out in spades.

Im not going to address gender identity politics, political correctness or any such nonsense as its irrelevant.

Feels like wishful thinking. Her hires so far have been home runs.

Reactions: Ffffws

Maybe they figure Harrell is their HC in waiting.

It would be tough to get Leach to work for a Texas public University again.

are you a she ? I cant see any reason why you would be so offended I used the term "lady" , I had no idea who their AD was , male or female when this discussion began-I was astounded at the poor hiring process however.

Very odd. Is this AD beyond criticism because it is a female ? my reaction initially and comments were made without knowledge of the AD's gender or even name.
It remains to be seen if Jimmy Lake will be a good hire, but her decision to hire him is the right one. He was 'heir apparent' by Peterson. Husky fans think he walks on water. To not hire him and keep 'the momentum' would have been highly criticized.
She did the right thing under the circumstances. Is he going to succeed? don't know, but it was the right call.

I don't know about that, Hance is TT a local politician, UT and A&M saw how good Leach is, that's why they want Harrell but no im not suggesting Texas is ever going to hire Leach. Im just commenting on their strategy of paying 2 million for a OC to prop up their failing coach as Ping said.

They've got more money than the federal reserve, why not go all the way and just get a real coach. If its the air raid disciple , get the master.

It remains to be seen if Jimmy Lake will be a good hire, but her decision to hire him is the right one. He was 'heir apparent' by Peterson. Husky fans think he walks on water. To not hire him and keep 'the momentum' would have been highly criticized.
She did the right thing under the circumstances. Is he going to succeed? don't know, but it was the right call.

You don't hire a HC by conducting a poll of the fans, Lake has only been a DC for 3 years and has no HC experience. It was a poor decision and given a program as good as Washington, very odd not to have a real coaching search. It will come back to bite them.

What momentum do you speak of ? They were 7-5 and their defense was ranked a mediocre #24 in the country.

You don't hire a HC by conducting a poll of the fans, Lake has only been a DC for 3 years and has no HC experience. It was a poor decision and given a program as good as Washington, very odd not to have a real coaching search. It will come back to bite them.

What momentum do you speak of ? They were 7-5 and their defense was ranked a mediocre #24 in the country.
24th ranked Defense is an accomplishment. Especially having lost so many guys to the NFL. With a 24th ranked defense we probably are 10-2.

Momentum on what Peterson was doing. Lake was Heir apparent and Huskyville would have rioted if he wasn’t hired. ..including some of the recruits. They , in essence, Did do a coaching search: a few years ago when Peterson chose him as DC and assoc head coach.

On that note, can you believe we paid Paul Wulff $600k to set the program back a half a decade? I know it's several years ago now, but legit schools were paying coaches 3, or 5, or 10 times more. Unreal. Sterk.
At the same time Sterk gave Doba a $1.8 million goodbye kiss in exchange for going quietly. (And several of Doba's lazy ass assistants still had one year left on their deals)

There was 0.0% chance Doba would've coached in 2009 (at the start of his sit down meeting with Sterk, Doba even requested an extension!)

ADVERTISEMENT