ADVERTISEMENT

Texas St, season opener, 5 days, starting 5, bench projections

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Texas State, the season opener is happening in 5 days.

Here is how I see the line up, bench, etc.

1. Powell, Dylan

2. Bamba/Jabe Mullins/Dylan

3. DJ Rodman or Jaki Start if Jaki doesn't start at the 4 spot. If Jaki starts at 4 spot, then Jabe Mullins might start, co start if DJ doesn't start AND COMBINED with if Jaki doesn't start at the 4 spot. So DJ/Jaki/Jabe/Rosario(come of bench behind DJ IF Jabe backs up Bamba at 2, AND if Jaki either starts or backs up at the 4).

4. Jaki or Diongue/Crespin

5. Gueye/Diongue or Crespin depending on whether Diongue starts at 4 or not.

I see, think DJ at the 3, and Jaki at the 4, will start at least temporarily, if not semi permanent, at the beginning of the season, UNTIL IF Jabe is ready to start at 3, and if Diongue is ready to start at 4 spot.

Also I see the following situational line ups.

BIG LINE UP: 1. POWELL 2. Bamba 3. Jaki 4. Diongue 5. Gueye.

SMALL/FAST: 1. Dylan 2. Bamba 3. Point 3 spot: Powell 4. 6-8.5 Jaki or 6-7 DJ Rodman. 5. Gueye.

SHOOTING/3's: 1. Powell 2. Bamba 3. DJ/Jabe 4. Jaki 5. Gueye.

Defense over shooting: 1. Jabe(Powell is not a great defender, Jabe is a better defender) 2. Bamba. 3. DJ 4. Diongue 5. Gueye.

Prediction: WSU 79 to Texas State 68

Texas State is comparable to UNLV, SDSU, etc, in that that they are a tougher Noncon game, and a semi solid to solid team. WSU can lose to them, and I think their is about a 23% chance WSU loses, but only because WSU has to play together, chemistry, etc.

WSU is the better team, has better talent, skills, coaching, etc, but if the players don't ABSOLUTELY BRING IT, they can lose, and if they don't pass well, don't play together, have a bad shooting night, etc, they can lose.

Assuming WSU wins, they probably win by about 10,11 at most,

If WSU either wins by less then 7,8,9, and especially if win by less then 3, an or if WSU loses, WSU might struggle more in beginning of season, until they Jell, learn how to finish, win.

Texas State, the season opener is happening in 5 days.

Here is how I see the line up, bench, etc.

1. Powell, Dylan

2. Bamba/Jabe Mullins/Dylan

3. DJ Rodman or Jaki Start if Jaki doesn't start at the 4 spot. If Jaki starts at 4 spot, then Jabe Mullins might start, co start if DJ doesn't start AND COMBINED with if Jaki doesn't start at the 4 spot. So DJ/Jaki/Jabe/Rosario(come of bench behind DJ IF Jabe backs up Bamba at 2, AND if Jaki either starts or backs up at the 4).

4. Jaki or Diongue/Crespin

5. Gueye/Diongue or Crespin depending on whether Diongue starts at 4 or not.

I see, think DJ at the 3, and Jaki at the 4, will start at least temporarily, if not semi permanent, at the beginning of the season, UNTIL IF Jabe is ready to start at 3, and if Diongue is ready to start at 4 spot.

Also I see the following situational line ups.

BIG LINE UP: 1. POWELL 2. Bamba 3. Jaki 4. Diongue 5. Gueye.

SMALL/FAST: 1. Dylan 2. Bamba 3. Point 3 spot: Powell 4. 6-8.5 Jaki or 6-7 DJ Rodman. 5. Gueye.

SHOOTING/3's: 1. Powell 2. Bamba 3. DJ/Jabe 4. Jaki 5. Gueye.

Defense over shooting: 1. Jabe(Powell is not a great defender, Jabe is a better defender) 2. Bamba. 3. DJ 4. Diongue 5. Gueye.

Prediction: WSU 79 to Texas State 68

Texas State is comparable to UNLV, SDSU, etc, in that that they are a tougher Noncon game, and a semi solid to solid team. WSU can lose to them, and I think their is about a 23% chance WSU loses, but only because WSU has to play together, chemistry, etc.

WSU is the better team, has better talent, skills, coaching, etc, but if the players don't ABSOLUTELY BRING IT, they can lose, and if they don't pass well, don't play together, have a bad shooting night, etc, they can lose.

Assuming WSU wins, they probably win by about 10,11 at most,

If WSU either wins by less then 7,8,9, and especially if win by less then 3, an or if WSU loses, WSU might struggle more in beginning of season, until they Jell, learn how to finish, win.

Also I think WSU goes with a 9, 10 man rotation of Powell, Bamba, DJ, Jabe, Gueye, Diongue, Jaki, Crespin, Dylan, Rosario

From Smith's comments, I see it as:

Starters: Powell, Mullins, Bamba, Jakimovski, Gueye

Rotation: DJ, Houinsou, Diongue/Hamon-Crespin (but likely more AD), Darling.

I think (maybe hope) Houinsou carves out a signficant role if he can stay healthy. Really need Diongue and/or Hamon-Crespin to provide minutes.

I’m intersted to see what Rosario brings to the table.

Sounds like Mo has made huge strides this off season. Anyone else?

From Smith's comments, I see it as:

Starters: Powell, Mullins, Bamba, Jakimovski, Gueye

Rotation: DJ, Houinsou, Diongue/Hamon-Crespin (but likely more AD), Darling.

I think (maybe hope) Houinsou carves out a signficant role if he can stay healthy. Really need Diongue and/or Hamon-Crespin to provide minutes.

Forgot about Houinsou. He is going to be a semi unknown, semi wild card, in that despite doing awesome for France's national team and Olympic team, he is still about the semi equivalent, of a highschool senior, college freshman, and because it usually takes a foreign player like that 18 months(Mid True Sophomore or Mid Redshirt Freshman), to adjust, adapt, improve, breakout, etc, in college, etc.

I think Houinsou, Rosario, Dylan, will battle it out for 9,10,11 spots in a 9, or 10, or 11 man rotation.

The thing about Houinsou, getting playing time is that 1. Powell, 2. Bamba, 3. DJ or Jabe are entrenched as starters, and each of the 1,2,3 spots have 2 players behind each of the 1,2,3 spot starters, and PG, has Powell, Dylan, Houinsou, and Houinsou probably won't play 3,4 spots, and probably if play, play 2,3 spots.

Houinsou also doesn't shoot good, altho gets a lot of assist, and defense well.

Houinsou will have to be a semi extremely semi special good player to get any playing time in the rotation at the 1,2,3 spots, an or be a situational 6th man, situational semi co starter at any of the 1,2,3 spots.

Maybe it will happen for him, maybe it won't, he is just a big unknown, unless Smith has said something about him.

I’m intersted to see what Rosario brings to the table.

Sounds like Mo has made huge strides this off season. Anyone else?

Bamba? But then again he started to break out last year. 7.7 ppg last season. Breakout starter.

Jaki? Again semi broke out last season. He will probably break out as a 6th man, co starter, situational starter, starter, during this his Junior Season.

Powell? If he returns to his 11 ppg, 5 to 10 assist per game form.

Starters
1 Powell
2 Jabe
3 Bamba
4 Jaki
5 Gueye

Rodman will play significant minutes at the 3 and the 4 even if he doesn’t start. Dylan and Jabe will probably get time at the 1 with Jabe also potentially seeing time at the 3. Bamba 2 and 3 but if others don’t workout he could see sometime at the 1 (I personally didn’t like the look of him at the 1 last year). Jaki at this point we know what we are going to get from him solid minutes at the 3 and 4. Gueye will play 4 and 5, primarily 5 at least until one of the new post can distinguish themselves. Dion and Crespin back up 5s hopefully being good enough to allow Gueye to move to the 4 if we want or need to play a big lineup. And as in the previous years Rosario is the mystery man, who could shake things up at the 3/4. Late addition French guard I don’t think will contribute much this year but he has the athleticism to prove me wrong.

I’m still holding out for Rosario. Injuries have held him back, but his combination of skill potential and length/levers is still intriguing.

Starters
1 Powell
2 Jabe
3 Bamba
4 Jaki
5 Gueye

Rodman will play significant minutes at the 3 and the 4 even if he doesn’t start. Dylan and Jabe will probably get time at the 1 with Jabe also potentially seeing time at the 3. Bamba 2 and 3 but if others don’t workout he could see sometime at the 1 (I personally didn’t like the look of him at the 1 last year). Jaki at this point we know what we are going to get from him solid minutes at the 3 and 4. Gueye will play 4 and 5, primarily 5 at least until one of the new post can distinguish themselves. Dion and Crespin back up 5s hopefully being good enough to allow Gueye to move to the 4 if we want or need to play a big lineup. And as in the previous years Rosario is the mystery man, who could shake things up at the 3/4. Late addition French guard I don’t think will contribute much this year but he has the athleticism to prove me wrong.

Only way Rodman gets any minutes at the 4, is IF IF Jaki, or Diongue, Crespin gets injured, or if Smith wants a fast, SMALL, line up, etc.

Jaki will start at the 4, until if either Diongue or Crespin, but Diongue has better chance then Crespin, becomes starter at 4 later on in season.

Jabe and Houinsou might get a few minutes at 1, PG, but Jabe is more likely to get playing time at 3,2 spots. Houinsou is more likely to get playing time at the 2 spot, IF he plays, despite his bad shooting.

Dylan is more likely to back up Powell at the 1, and Bamba at the 2. Smith has really talked up Dylan.

Your right that Houinsou the French player might probably not get significant minutes, playing time as a bench back up in the rotation, unless his athleticism and him proves us wrong.

Rosario won't see time at the 4 as he is a 6-7 PROTO 3, WING, STICK FIGURE. And if Rodman probably won't see time at 4, unless injuries, small line up, then Rosario certainly won't.

Either Rosario finds a way to get a couple, few, some minutes at the 3, or he probably won't play.

Bamba is not a 3. He can play at 3. He can be ok, semi good at 3. But he is BETTER at and is a PROTO 2.

Rodman, Jaki, Jabe will start, play at the 3 spot. At the beginning of season that might not happen.

But once either Diongue, or Crespin is ready at the 4, then Jaki moves to 3 spot, unless either DJ or Jabe play at 3. Also Jabe had played the 3 in past as well as DJ started at the 3 in past, and DJ has experience, leadership, development as a SENIOR, and is decent, ok, semi good, etc, as a 3, and is a semi proto 3.

Dion is not a 4. He is listed as a center on the roster, all his recruiting accolades and reviews call him a rim protecting center I doubt he ever sees time at the 4. Crespin has more of a 4 skill set but I doubt he is athletic enough at this point. I agree DJ is better suited to play the 3 but if Rosario can’t produce it will be DJ playing at least some 4 out of necessity. Rosario was recruited as a power forward but I agree he could possibly play some 3

Reactions: cougcowboy
I have a feeling Darling is going to surprise a lot if people and get some major minutes.

He won't beat out Powell, Bamba, Jabe tho.

But he might get some, semi major, semi 6th, 7th man, semi key back up, bench, rotational player that could get about 13 to 16 to 19 minutes per game and about 6 to
7.5 to 9 ppg, at best.

Then again he might not. But wouldn't be surprised if he did produce that.

Any idea on the type of injuries?

Guess we will see more Diongue, Hamon-Crespin, and Houinsou early.

Rodman started at the 4. Crespin first 5 man off the bench, Diongue doesn’t see the floor till mop up time last 3 minutes.

Rodman started at the 4. Crespin first 5 man off the bench, Diongue doesn’t see the floor till mop up time last 3 minutes.

Yep I was wrong about Diongue.

Surprised that Diongue only got mop up minute or 2.

Texas State had a Small lineup, and that's probably why Rodman started at 4.

Once Jaki gets healthy, and once WSU plays Bigger 6-10+ frontcourts, Jaki starts at 4, with Mael Crespin maybe co starting at 4. much later in season.

Rodman will only start, co start, play some time at 4 spot, IF their are either Injuries, or if the frontcourt is as SMALL as Texas St's SMALL frontcourt.

Guess Diongue is just not ready yet, even with the lots of injuries, Jackson, and Jaki, etc, being out.

Impressive 20 point win against Texas St, who went 21-8 last season, and won their conference, and were in the NIT, and only kept out of NCAA by a conference tournament loss.

MAGICAL 13 rebounds, blocked shots 2 assist, 1 steal, floor burns, good defense, 18 points by Gueye, and a MAGICAL 12, TWELVE ASSIST, 5 rebounds, 3-5 from 3 point, 1 steal, good defense, 14 points.

If Powell continues to play like, as good as that, he will be NBA bound.

And WSU BLEW OUT such a good team, despite JITTERS, being uncomfortable, not playing together, being discombobulated, not jelling, not having chemistry, etc.

Imagine how good WSU will be when WSU gets Jaki back, and Jackson eventually returns much later in season, and they Jell, develop chemistry.

WSU is going to be extremely scary good, when that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT