ADVERTISEMENT

The dark side of the transfer portal

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
What's happening at SMU this season needs to be used at a catalyst for change across collegiate football. Now that we've moved to an open, almost professional model where kids get full rides, NIL money, have access to the transfer portal, we have to offer the schools some protections.

The fact that these kids at SMU get to bail on the program midseason and transfer without losing eligibility isn't right. Maybe players AND COACHES should have to sit out a year if they leave one program for another outside of dismissals or terminations?

As it stands now, players have too much control. If a coach so much as makes a tough disciplinary decision or starts a QB who half the team doesn't like as much as the backup, players can "unionize" and transfer out without penalty. Nope.

Multiple SMU players to sit out remainder of season and enter the portal

This shouldn't be complicated. A football scholarship is a contract. You play, we pay tuition. You transfer, we stop paying. You refuse to play, we don't play. If you refuse to pay mid-season/mid-term, you owe us what we already paid for you...and you are not released to the portal until the money is repaid.

Further, if you choose to sit mid-season for any reason other than new sanctions against your team (and maybe the firing of the coach, I could argue that one either way), you're considered in breach of your contract and sacrifice your remaining eligibility for the year. You don't get to quit to maintain your redshirt.

In fact, no more redshirts. Each player is allowed to participate in a maximum of 200 quarters of regular season games over 5 years. Overtimes and games at Hawaii don't count.

Yeah, there should be some provisions in place. On the other hand if you are going to fill your locker room up with kids that pull this shit, good luck to you…Im sure they will be just fine during a tough stretch when the ball isn’t bouncing their way.

That said, I hope we tear Lincoln Riley a new portal in his back side this Saturday.

Reactions: LeachPack
What's happening at SMU this season needs to be used at a catalyst for change across collegiate football. Now that we've moved to an open, almost professional model where kids get full rides, NIL money, have access to the transfer portal, we have to offer the schools some protections.

The fact that these kids at SMU get to bail on the program midseason and transfer without losing eligibility isn't right. Maybe players AND COACHES should have to sit out a year if they leave one program for another outside of dismissals or terminations?

As it stands now, players have too much control. If a coach so much as makes a tough disciplinary decision or starts a QB who half the team doesn't like as much as the backup, players can "unionize" and transfer out without penalty. Nope.

Multiple SMU players to sit out remainder of season and enter the portal
I believe there was a NCAA rules proposal for a transfer window (or maybe windows). Not sure what happened.

I believe there was a NCAA rules proposal for a transfer window (or maybe windows). Not sure what happened.
I think they adopted a proposal that had a limited window right after the season and a second, shorter one after spring ball. So now if your coach gets fired you can leave immediately, or you can test drive the new guy in the spring before you decide.

So they leave now, and hit the transfer portal, to save a year of eligibility... pussies. A real football player will take a bottle of Jack, take couple of pulls, and try to break their hand with a hammer.

So they leave now, and hit the transfer portal, to save a year of eligibility... pussies. A real football player will take a bottle of Jack, take couple of pulls, and try to break their hand with a hammer.
Like a true Russian

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT