ADVERTISEMENT

The next step in this process is ...

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
Is to build schedules for our sport programs for the next two years, effectively as an independent. By then, the MWC conference schools will be out of their bad TV deal, binding them to the that conference and they will be effectively free agents. The 8-10 million we would make over that period by simply joining the MWC just isn't worth it. Our 100 year history and the record book associated with it, has value. Further, doesn't WSU and OSU owe it those teams and athletes who won them conference championships, to make a good faith effort to protect their legacy. Joining the MWC for effectively chump change and ease of scheduling reasons? I'm sorry, but hell no! We'd be just like the others, but for a whole lot less money. Also, let's not forget, much of that 8-10 million will be offset with appearance fees and our own independent grants of rights during the interim.

In two years--which and how many schools do you invite to join? My thought is 6 - AF, SDSU, Boise, CSU, Fresno, and UNLV. Why only 6, not 8 including WYO and USU? It is because we no longer have the luxury of "cup cake" scheduling. We as the New Pac conference need to schedule multiple games against Power 4 schools, taking the annual "who have they played" denigration and diminishment off the table. It will also increases revenues significantly. Ultimately, as new conference, in effect, we will want power conference recognition, and the only way you get that is beating power conference teams. All we need is one team a year that is hitting on all cylinders, and that message is sent.

Who should be the commissioner? George or Larry? Just kidding. I'd favor either Luck or Nevarez, both having legal backgrounds. The last thing we need is yet another pitch man making promises and selling snake oil. We need someone trained to manage and assess situations on the risk/benefit continuum, you know, someone who can actually provide sound business and legal advice moving forward.

Thoughts....

Is to build schedules for our sport programs for the next two years, effectively as an independent. By then, the MWC conference schools will be out of their bad TV deal, binding them to the that conference and they will be effectively free agents. The 8-10 million we would make over that period by simply joining the MWC just isn't worth it. Our 100 year history and the record book associated with it, has value. Further, doesn't WSU and OSU owe it those teams and athletes who won them conference championships, to make a good faith effort to protect their legacy. Joining the MWC for effectively chump change and ease of scheduling reasons? I'm sorry, but hell no! We'd be just like the others, but for a whole lot less money. Also, let's not forget, much of that 8-10 million will be offset with appearance fees and our own independent grants of rights during the interim.

In two years--which and how many schools do you invite to join? My thought is 6 - AF, SDSU, Boise, CSU, Fresno, and UNLV. Why only 6, not 8 including WYO and USU? It is because we no longer have the luxury of "cup cake" scheduling. We as the New Pac conference need to schedule multiple games against Power 4 schools, taking the annual "who have they played" denigration and diminishment off the table. It will also increases revenues significantly. Ultimately, as new conference, in effect, we will want power conference recognition, and the only way you get that is beating power conference teams. All we need is one team a year that is hitting on all cylinders, and that message is sent.

Who should be the commissioner? George or Larry? Just kidding. I'd favor either Luck or Nevarez, both having legal backgrounds. The last thing we need is yet another pitch man making promises and selling snake oil. We need someone trained to manage and assess situations on the risk/benefit continuum, you know, someone who can actually provide sound business and legal advice moving forward.

Thoughts....

Step 1. Win total control of PAC 2.

Step 2. Fire George the Commish.

Step 3. Move PAC 2 HQ to Vegas or Spokane.

Step 4. Clean House(Firing and hiring)

Step 5. Schedule MWC, AAC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Gonzaga, St Mary, etc, teams as temporary semi independents. WSU, Ore St, play each other 1,2 times a season in PAC conference games.

Step 6. As part of step 5, work out temporary scheduling alliances.

Step 7. Set up temporary media deal, etc.

Step 8. After the MWC 35 million penalty ends IN, AFTER a certain date in 2024, Add SDSU, BSU, Fresno St, UNLV.

Step 9. Inform Media who gonna add, and do a upgradeable, flexible media deal.

Step 10, add Memphis, Tulane, USF, Rice.

This gets done midway to end of 2024, beginning of 2025.

Step 11. In 2025 sometime, IF ACC blows up, try to add ACC leftovers.

Step 12. In 2025, try to add Gonzaga, St Mary, UConn, Villanova, if they are available.

Step 12 in 2025, 2026, try to poach add 1,2 of either Vandy, Iowa St, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Duke, Wake Forest, etc, types.

Step 13 Upgrade Media deal.

Thoughts....

Hhusky for commissioner! 😉

Fresno State sold out their 40k seat stadium for their opener with EWU. Big fish in a medium sized pond. They could really blossom in a more respected conference.

Thoughts....

Your two year plan seems well thought out. I have no criticism of it per se.

The main concern in my mind is how our athletic department would survive in any viable form for even two years, with a budget deficit of $25-$35 million per year after losing conference media/NCAA revenue.

I’m not optimistic that we will collect a substantial windfall from the demise of the conference. Especially since that possibility was publicly discounted by Shulz. And any such settlement would likely be contested in the courts for months if not years.

Of course, this concern also applies to any of the other poor alternatives that we are left with after the epic failure of our PAC 12/WSU “leadership.”

Your two year plan seems well thought out. I have no criticism of it per se.

The main concern in my mind is how our athletic department would survive in any viable form for even two years, with a budget deficit of $25-$35 million per year after losing conference media/NCAA revenue.

I’m not optimistic that we will collect a substantial windfall from the demise of the conference. Especially since that possibility was publicly discounted by Shulz. And any such settlement would likely be contested in the courts for months if not years.

Of course, this concern also applies to any of the other poor alternatives that we are left with after the epic failure of our PAC 12/WSU “leadership.”

As much as we'd like to tell everyone else to piss off and that we are keeping all the money, I have a feeling that WSU and OSU are going to be compelled to give most of the money to the traitors. The other 10 teams in the conference helped generate that revenue with their play and without them, that money wouldn't be there.

Telling them that they don't give a dime would be like partners in a business splitting up and the surviving owner not paying a penny to the people leaving. There's going to be an extended court battle if there isn't an equitable payout. I hope that WSU and OSU get more than the rest by virtue of the actions of the traitorous 10, but I'm not banking on it being that big of a difference.

I did see an article that suggested that WSU may go to the state legislature and ask for financial assistance during the transition period. Don't know if there are any legs to that idea though.

As much as we'd like to tell everyone else to piss off and that we are keeping all the money, I have a feeling that WSU and OSU are going to be compelled to give most of the money to the traitors. The other 10 teams in the conference helped generate that revenue with their play and without them, that money wouldn't be there.

Telling them that they don't give a dime would be like partners in a business splitting up and the surviving owner not paying a penny to the people leaving. There's going to be an extended court battle if there isn't an equitable payout. I hope that WSU and OSU get more than the rest by virtue of the actions of the traitorous 10, but I'm not banking on it being that big of a difference.

I did see an article that suggested that WSU may go to the state legislature and ask for financial assistance during the transition period. Don't know if there are any legs to that idea though.
While I don’t disagree that may be the final outcome - it should be. The 10 all signed on to an agreement that said as much, and now that they want out, they don’t think it should count. Typical.

I don’t see the legislature funding athletics. Those funds are supposed to be kept largely separate.

Our President Shulz downplayed the funds left over, this could have been a negotiating ploy, or there could be very little left, it seems like no one knows. At a minimum OSU and WSU need 100 million, or 50 million each, just to make it through the next 2 years, without that the Cougs are in trouble. I would agree that the other 10 teams will get some of the current revenues, but if they are suggesting additional funds for transitions costs, screw them. The are all guaranteed 30-60 million a year, depending on the school, for 5-10 years.

The head quarters should be in an area with low rent. I think Vegas would be a good area as you can still find reasonable deals. UNLV will be in the Pac-12 so it makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT