ADVERTISEMENT

The Offense Still sucks

spongeandshoot

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2020
That is not a good defense we just put 14 points against

Yeah, we lost our mojo on that bullshit holding call on the interception...but this Is Pac 12 football.

14 points is Colorado Buffalo football

That holding goal was bullshit. The receiver never tried to disengage and was never impeded. Chalk that went up to get another crappy P12 call

Reactions: Cougini5591

Yeah, we lost our mojo on that bullshit holding call on the interception...but this Is Pac 12 football.

14 points isn’t good enough. I don’t give a shit what Morris did at Tech, he isn’t impressive here at all.

When you put your QB in the gun in the endzone and call a zone read play, you don’t f’ing get it. Too many things can go wrong. And they did.

Then the dumb f’cker did it again! And his qb threw a pass to the back who caught it in the endzone. Wow.

What would Saban have done? How bout Urban Meyer? Lou Holtz? Bowden? Beamer? Alvarez? Even Chris Petersen? Wtf would they have done if they watched this?

Dickert and staff are JV coaches that got promoted to Varsity coaches too soon. Some flashes of good things? Yes. Some really dumb shit? Also yes.

WSU is not a school that has the margin for error to handle dumb shit happening. Especially if its the staff.

Clay McGuire. Tell me more about how great a hire he was and how the OL is playing so well. Clay should have a mop and bucket in his office tomorrow.

Reactions: spongeandshoot

That’s a little harsh. Some things they can clean up, sure. Stribbling can’t drop that ball. Wards gotta continue to step up and run when it’s there, did better with tonight.

they got rat F’d by the refs. When it’s that bad it throws off your entire rhythm as a team, and it’s really hard to regain it. Coulda had them on the ropes and under pressure several times and they kept bailing SC out. What are you gonna do.

Reactions: LeachPack
That’s a little harsh. Some things they can clean up, sure. Stribbling can’t drop that ball. Wards gotta continue to step up and run when it’s there, did better with tonight.

they got rat F’d by the refs. When it’s that bad it throws off your entire rhythm as a team, and it’s really hard to regain it. Coulda had them on the ropes and under pressure several times and they kept bailing SC out. What are you gonna do.
What are you gonna do? Keep your foot on the gas. Find things that work. Keep playing the game. As crooked as they are, they can’t call back every gain, so keep going.

Bad calls are part of the game. They’re something for fans to dwell on. Players and coaches need to move on and run the next play.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
What are you gonna do? Keep your foot on the gas. Find things that work. Keep playing the game. As crooked as they are, they can’t call back every gain, so keep going.

Bad calls are part of the game. They’re something for fans to dwell on. Players and coaches need to move on and run the next play.
Not disagreeing. Momentum and flow of a game is a huge thing though. From a scenario where an offense is picking up chunks of yards and the defense is sucking wind, to the offense playing behind the chains and the defense having time to catch their breath makes a big difference.

The offense isn’t perfect by any means but for stretches they they were doing what they wanted. And yeah they have some stuff to clean up still for sure.

Not disagreeing. Momentum and flow of a game is a huge thing though. From a scenario where an offense is picking up chunks of yards and the defense is sucking wind, to the offense playing behind the chains and the defense having time to catch their breath makes a big difference.

The offense isn’t perfect by any means but for stretches they they were doing what they wanted. And yeah they have some stuff to clean up still for sure.
I think a significant problem with our offensive rhythm is the play calling. We have no flow, no continuity…yet we’re predictable.

There’s too much trying to be tricky, not enough identifying what the defense will give us and then taking it.

I think we pass up too much on the "obvious and easy".

Granted, I'm not a football coach, but if the DB's are 10 to 15 yards back... quick out. If you've got single coverage, take some long shots. If there are major gaps on the D-front... run through them.

I have absolutely no doubt that we could give a better green light to scramble.

Our offensive coordinator has decided... for whatever reason(s)... to be the way he is. This game seemed like 2 rights and 3 wrongs.

Let's measure again after the next game.

I appreciate coaches that learn and adjust when things are only "okay"

I think a significant problem with our offensive rhythm is the play calling. We have no flow, no continuity…yet we’re predictable.

There’s too much trying to be tricky, not enough identifying what the defense will give us and then taking it.
It sure seemed like we did a pretty good job of all of that in the first half before things got stupid. Those two TD drives were just that. Then the ****ery starts on the catch they overturn and we never could get back into a good rhythm. And the ****ery commenced.

Granted, I'm not a football coach, but if the DB's are 10 to 15 yards back... quick out. If you've got single coverage, take some long shots. If there are major gaps on the D-front... run through them.

Our offensive coordinator has decided... for whatever reason(s)... to be the way he is. This game seemed like 2 rights and 3 wrongs.

In cliche-speak, that’s called “taking what the defense gives you.” We’re not very good at it. Our offense is frequently distracted by how the play is supposed to develop and how the defense is supposed to react…and we don’t act on how those things actually happen.

Reactions: froropmkr72

He lacks rhythm and consistency in his play calling. I also question his ability to evaluate talent. The backup RB just ripped off 184 all purpose yards on 15 touches against SC. Either he hasn’t shown any of this in practice and it was a complete surprise OR he was buried for what reason???

WSU and SC have played probably 80 times, hell prob more. How many performances has WSU had of 184 yards on 15 touches against them? By a back up…

He lacks rhythm and consistency in his play calling. I also question his ability to evaluate talent. The backup RB just ripped off 184 all purpose yards on 15 touches against SC. Either he hasn’t shown any of this in practice and it was a complete surprise OR he was buried for what reason???

WSU and SC have played probably 80 times, hell prob more. How many performances has WSU had of 184 yards on 15 touches against them? By a back up…
75 total, and it won't be anymore (it would've been more if they played us in Pullman like the "warriors" they are). Thanks, Carol Folt.

A guy in the backfield that can bust a 40+ yard run in the blink of an eye. Defenses have to pay attention to him when he is on the field. Which is going to give Cam bigger throwing windows and slow down edge rushers who have to think about collapsing on the run.

It's hilarious to me that Morris is running the offense you wished Leach would run for years and you are shocked about the predictable challenges with rhythm and execution accompanying them.

Agree that the offensive line was having a tough time. That was the difference in the 2nd half.

It's hilarious to me that Morris is running the offense you wished Leach would run for years and you are shocked about the predictable challenges with rhythm and execution accompanying them.

It’s hilarious to me you think Morris and Leach are the same level of coaching talent. Cause they aren’t.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
The whole offensive side of the ball lacks experience, from the coaches to the players. Overall I think we will be fine in the long run, just going to be growing pains this year. 14 points against a Grinch defense is pathetic. Everyone talks about what a great defensive mind Grinch is, he made his name with one year of the "spead D', and even they got shredded a few times. There were about 1/2 dozen plays, due to penalties, or dropped balls that would have changed this game, the Cougs got screwed on a lot of calls, from the PI, to the interception that was taken away, to some holding calls and targeting. Penalties is not an excuse, and a good team will over come the issues, and not let it bother them, a team that lack experience at all levels doesn't and that showed up today.

Everything had to go the Cougs way in order to win this game, and for about 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter it did, for the other 50 it didn't. I just hope they can patch up the line, and RB situation and find a way to beat Oregon State. Next weekend is the difference between 8-9 wins, or 6 or less. How they rebound from this SC loss will tell us how much this team can grow from a bad experience.

The whole offensive side of the ball lacks experience, from the coaches to the players. Overall I think we will be fine in the long run, just going to be growing pains this year. 14 points against a Grinch defense is pathetic. Everyone talks about what a great defensive mind Grinch is, he made his name with one year of the "spead D', and even they got shredded a few times. There were about 1/2 dozen plays, due to penalties, or dropped balls that would have changed this game, the Cougs got screwed on a lot of calls, from the PI, to the interception that was taken away, to some holding calls and targeting. Penalties is not an excuse, and a good team will over come the issues, and not let it bother them, a team that lack experience at all levels doesn't and that showed up today.

Everything had to go the Cougs way in order to win this game, and for about 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter it did, for the other 50 it didn't. I just hope they can patch up the line, and RB situation and find a way to beat Oregon State. Next weekend is the difference between 8-9 wins, or 6 or less. How they rebound from this SC loss will tell us how much this team can grow from a bad experience.
Historically, the Achilles’ heel of a Grinch defense has been when the QB runs. It was his defense that gave up 100 yards rushing to Kevin Hogan.

One more reason Ward should have had the green light.

Yeah I rarely bitch about the refs...but they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

With the recent lack of success for the Pac12 and the fact the.money at stake is huge, they just can't afford to have WSU beat USC on national TV

14 points isn’t good enough. I don’t give a shit what Morris did at Tech, he isn’t impressive here at all.

When you put your QB in the gun in the endzone and call a zone read play, you don’t f’ing get it. Too many things can go wrong. And they did.

Then the dumb f’cker did it again! And his qb threw a pass to the back who caught it in the endzone. Wow.

What would Saban have done? How bout Urban Meyer? Lou Holtz? Bowden? Beamer? Alvarez? Even Chris Petersen? Wtf would they have done if they watched this?

Dickert and staff are JV coaches that got promoted to Varsity coaches too soon. Some flashes of good things? Yes. Some really dumb shit? Also yes.

WSU is not a school that has the margin for error to handle dumb shit happening. Especially if its the staff.

Clay McGuire. Tell me more about how great a hire he was and how the OL is playing so well. Clay should have a mop and bucket in his office tomorrow.

The more you post, the more that I'm convinced that you are either a) lying about being a coach or b) you were a terrible coach or c) you've morphed into the bitter old man who just yells a lot.

I've been watching football for decades and your comments about Dickert are just plain stupid. Nobody thinks he's perfect but he is not a "JV coach who got promoted to Varsity too soon". It makes you look like a moron when you post that.

WSU is currently 7-5 with Dickert as our head coach. His losses are to #19 BYU, #22 Oregon, #7 USC, #12 Oregon and a Central Michigan team when we were kneecapped by our turncoat QB who bailed on us in his final game as a Coug. There is no loss on his resume that screams bad coach. If anything, our team is exceeding expectations given the talent that is on our roster. The USC game is the first game in his tenure where WSU wasn't within one score of winning in the fourth quarter and they are undefeated and ranked #7 in the country. I'm not sure why you have a hard-on for the guy, but you calling him a JV coach is laughable.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Historically, the Achilles’ heel of a Grinch defense has been when the QB runs. It was his defense that gave up 100 yards rushing to Kevin Hogan.

One more reason Ward should have had the green light.

Yeah he is so overrated its not even funny.

He caught lightning in a bottle when he had Hercules here...and some other good players. A monkey with an abacus could have some success with Hercules constantly setting up shop in the opponents backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT