ADVERTISEMENT

The Pirate is a muffed punt from being 5-0...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Do you think he gets any bigger program looks? (IE Auburn).

I don't know if MSU is the final stop on his coaching path and it looks like the ship is pointing in the right direction.

I tend to wonder if some MSU's early "neutering" the pirate to speak his mind will come back to bite them. Leach proves he can win. Proves he can win at MSU. Gives them the finger for lack of support.

I don't know if MSU is the final stop on his coaching path and it looks like the ship is pointing in the right direction.

I tend to wonder if some MSU's early "neutering" the pirate to speak his mind will come back to bite them. Leach proves he can win. Proves he can win at MSU. Gives them the finger for lack of support.

I thought he self-neutered due to selling his soul for money.

Either way, it is disappointing he allowed himself to be silenced. Shameful.

Speak the truth no matter what.

That way you can sleep with a sound conscience each night.

I am sick of people selling out to woke or politically correct views. We have many cowards that do that. I "know" some on this board.

I kind of think MSU is his big payday on his road to going to enjoy the Keys full time. All of his coaching stops have been in relative backwaters, I don't think there'd be much mutual interest in any of the big powerhouse programs...and I think he prefers winning where he's not supposed to. Going 5-0 at WSU, MSU, TTU is exciting. Doing it at Auburn or Ohio State is expected.

8-4 is celebrated at MSU, WSU and Tech, It gets you fired at Auburn, OSU, and LSU, and a handful of other programs. Coach O won a national Championship at LSU on 1/13/20, about a year and half later he is fired. If you want to call it that, he got 17 million to go away. So you can go to a school like LSU or Auburn, and make more money getting fired than you would coaching the for 3- 5 years at MSU, WSU or Tech, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I kind of think MSU is his big payday on his road to going to enjoy the Keys full time. All of his coaching stops have been in relative backwaters, I don't think there'd be much mutual interest in any of the big powerhouse programs...and I think he prefers winning where he's not supposed to. Going 5-0 at WSU, MSU, TTU is exciting. Doing it at Auburn or Ohio State is expected.

The question is does he want or think he can play for the national championship? I tend to wonder if the "big championship" is in his sites, or if he's fine with winning in the SEC.

Reactions: Coug90
The question is does he want or think he can play for the national championship? I tend to wonder if the "big championship" is in his sites, or if he's fine with winning in the SEC.
While part of me thinks he’s more comfortable at under the radar places, he was almost the coach at Tennessee which certainly isn’t. Anything is possible.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I am not so sure he prefers under-the-radar places so much as those are where he has gotten opportunities and, by one school of thought, where his approach is the most valuable. He has interviewed at UW and Tennessee, among other places. Not exactly low-pressure places, especially the latter.

I have to think that at least part of him wonders what he could do in a situation where he had the better talent most weeks and a clearer path to getting in the playoff, and wondering whether he should push for that at least once so he won't have regrets when he hangs it up and is on that barstool in Key West. That's not to say he'll get the opportunity, but I don't think he's philosophically opposed to being at a bigger program with greater expectations, especially if he doesn't have to do a bunch of public appearances and gladhanding with boosters.

I'm not overthinking it this year. I think LSU is actually bad and they let it slip away. This is the worst year for the SEC West (outside of Bama, of course) in some time. Not clear Auburn & A&M and many others will continue to blow

It's too early to tell if Mississippi State is actually good this year. Their wins are against:

4-1 Memphis (4 wins against terrible teams)
3-2 Arizona (who was exposed by Cal and may not win a game in the next 6 games)
2-3 Bowling Green (objectively bad)
3-2 Texas A&M (lost to App State and appears to be heading to a 6-6 season)

This week against Arkansas is going to reveal a lot. Beat the Razorbacks and he could have an 8-4 finish and a puncher's shot at 9-3. Lose that game and they are stuck facing 4 top twenty teams in the last half of the season including 3 in the current Top 10. 6-6 is a very likely result for them if they can't beat the Razorbacks. The "weakest" remaining team on their schedule is Auburn. In comparison, we have four teams on our schedule that are rated lower than Auburn in power rankings and only two Top 20 teams left to face.

I'm going to go on record and say that Leach will be on the hot seat at the end of the season after Ole Miss knocks them off to finish the season. Ole Miss in the Top 10 and Mississippi State at 6-6 or 7-5 is not going to sit well with the faithful.

Reactions: chipdouglas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT