24 Keaton Hayenga F 6-5
24 Josh Hawkinson C 6-10
25 DaVonte Lacy G 6-3
32 Que Johnson G 6-5
33 Brett Boese F 6-7
34 Dexter K-Drew G 6-6

This post was edited on 4/20 6:17 PM by ceCoug

Re: The "Roster" Mow?

I will be somewhat surprised if Boese sticks.

Ernie comes with as much cache in his own way as Leach brought upon his arrival. I suspect that we will see some pretty good players come to Pullman for the next season, and the entire roster is likely to be a work in progress right up until the last day for someone to sign.

Originally posted by cr8zyncalif:
I will be somewhat surprised if Boese sticks.

Ernie comes with as much cache in his own way as Leach brought upon his arrival. I suspect that we will see some pretty good players come to Pullman for the next season, and the entire roster is likely to be a work in progress right up until the last day for someone to sign.
Boese will stay if Ernie lets him shoot it (something Bone strictly prohibited).

If you can't shoot, you're not playing for Ernie - this is why Woolridge is gone.

There is an obvious dearth of big men. Railey is the only now capable of being on a D1 roster and he is a stiff. longrus has a chance and the others should transfer to a D11 or D 111 school where they can play and enjoy their college life. i am sure that they are fine young men but Bone never should have given them scholarships and false hopes.

Prohibited? Boese shot every other time he touched the ball. Not saying that was a bad thing because he is one of the better shooters on the team, if he shot as much as he did and was being told not to he might have a listening problem. Also as far as the roster. What about Canty, the footballer who says he is also going to play basketball. He is a 3 star power forward that according to the football coaches is one of the best athletes in Leaches class.

Canty is an outstanding athlete. He can jump and is strong around the basket. He also has outstanding speed for a big man claiming to run a 4.5 40. It will take time for him to switch from a football mode to basketball.But it says a lot if a football player can come in and be better than your scholarship players as a freshman. He is 6-7-68 and about 270 pds as a football player.It will be fun to watch him play next year.

Canty still might be a bit of a grade risk. If he is, it will be doubtful he can afford the time to play two sports as a freshman. Books come first, very important to Ernie.

Originally posted by jourdand:
Then why did he shoot so much?
Brett Boise took 28 of WSU's 1,633 shots attempted in 2014 according to official stats at WSUCougars.com

Which is more than Hawkinson who played twice as many minutes and more than Dilorio who played three times as many minutes and at a high shot per minute clip than even Kendrick-Drew. Don't get me wrong I don't thing Boese forced shots or took bad shots but it sure didn't look like he hesitant or passing up shots either. I can't think of any bad shots he took or shots I thought he should have taken that he passed up.

Hopefully the three players you mentioned will not get a total of twenty eight shots amongst them during the entire season next year.
ohwell.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/20 8:05 AM by ElComanche

Not much chance of DiIorio taking many shots next year.
smile.r191677.gif

But a question, ElC. You are famous on this board for being critical of coaches who play certain guys you identify as not worthy of playing time (i.e. Lodwick, Simon, now Boese and Hawkinson. You've even done that with Halliday in football). What are you going to do if Kent decides to play these guys and perhaps even gives them additional time on the court? Will he become a "Kenthead"?

Maybe Ernie will coach these guys up. Maybe in his offense he'll need a guy who can come off the bench and hit some outside shots like Boese. Maybe giving up on a big kid like Hawkinson after his freshman year is a bit too soon. Let it play out.

Glad Cougar

I have very high hopes for Hawkinson, he can be a solid PAC 12 post. He has very good hands.

Nope.if Kent plays these guys it means that is the best he has. I shudder to think that that may be the case. If he recruits well and these two rise to the top,what can one say? Hawkinson had another offer from San Diego and that was about it. i remember watching his recruiting video and my remark was "good grief" as i could not believe that Bone was giving the guy a scholarship. He was terrible and i could not believe my eyes. If somehow Kent coaches him up and he contributes ,so be it. But there are several players available who certainly seem to be better than him, Guys like Boese and Hawkinson serve a purpose and this to give other players confidence. The screams when players dunk over them and/or jam their shots behind them make for confidence and good entertainment. i know that several of you guys want the local kids to succeed but i hope not at the expense of losing while they get their minutes.

If Boese was told not to shoot, he wasn't listening. He did, indeed, put up the most shots per minute of anyone but Lacy. I think there is probably a place in the rotation for him. Ernie puts his best shooters on the floor, and if they play hard on D they get time. Boese gives us an alternative to going small with 4 guards. I could see Boese early off the bench at the 4 spot against zone defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT