ADVERTISEMENT

The whole SC coaching thing is a head scratcher...but is it a Bohner?

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
They continue with Helton, despite massive criticism from alumni, media and some of the former players (the former players are split on this, I have to note in fairness). And when I say "media", it isn't even just the sports media. It is essentially all media in Los Angeles. I can't think of a single public Helton champion outside of the ivory tower itself.

They throw a bunch of money at Harrell to essentially run the offense.

Harrell isn't stupid. He knows that if he succeeds, he saves Helton, so he would have to leave to get a HC job. If he fails, they both get the axe. There is no conceivable path to the SC HC job without a successful stint as a HC elsewhere first. But, if he succeeds at SC, he will get an HC opportunity. There are a variety of brass rings to reach for out there...Harrell has apparently decided that with SC's recruiting advantages (which have diminished, but are still real), he can get something going within another year or at most 2. He won't have more than 2 years, and there needs to be major progress during year 1 or he won't even get 2. Slovis is a decent QB. Not as good as the local media thinks, but decent. With a good enough supporting cast he has shown that he can get the job done.

I can understand why Harrell took the job. He might have taken it for less than the reported compensation, just to get the opportunity. And of course, I understand why Helton wanted to keep the job. But why...why...why would the SC "brain trust" make this decision? You know that Bohn was hired with the understanding that he would keep Helton; the timing doesn't permit one to believe anything else. Was the decision a Bohner?

Potential upside: Folt gets to stand proudly on her "clean program" pledge. If by chance Helton/Harrell can succeed...and it remains to be seen if there will be a new DC, since D is part of the problem...then she will look like a genius. And a principled, high integrity genius, at that.

Potential downside: SC football ends up almost as crippled as they were at the trough of the sanctions, without the level of alum support that they still had at that time...and with a national brand that approaches Nebraska's in terms of being "has beens". Not quite that bad, but moving in that direction.

Texas is a prime example of how a program with that kind of resources does not die despite massive incompetence. But success does not automatically follow. As Biggs says...my favorite quote on the matter..."Coaching Matters". Helton is simply not a really great coach, nor is he a fully competent leader or manager (and yes, they are different things, but he is not fully competent at either). I am interested to see if Helton/Harrell can beat the deadline and show enough progress to prolong the mediocrity. I'm rooting for them, because they will be beatable as long as those guys are in charge. And while the college football championship promotes having just one or two big names in each conference, I want to be able to beat them. It has been years since we were not competitive with SC, and I think that situation has probably now been extended for a few more years.

Last edited:
Helton earned the extension. With the injuries at QB and everything else swirling around all season, I think you could make an argument for him winning coach of the year in the P12.

GH does well at SC he is in the conversation for a lot of HC jobs. Texas or SC, doesnt matter. Both schools need to win next year or the HC is fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT