ADVERTISEMENT

These kids need to...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
knock off the partying or they're all going to get sent home. My daughter included..

Reactions: kougkurt
Exactly Gibbs. Then you'll have freshman parents bitching about athletes being allowed to live in the dorms. Could be problematic.

Get off my lawn!!!!

Yep, stop being young, stop having fun at Uni, you've got to cloister yourself to protect people who demanded that McD's "super size that" a few too many times. If kids at WSU can't just wave to grand ma, admitting that it isn't safe, they have no F-ing business in higher ed, particularly at WSU, a fantastic place that teaches you to think at a higher level. IF WSU administrator have forgotten their mission, education, F them to.

Covid-19 ain't the Spanish flu that preyed on the young and healthy, it is a disease that preys on the old, sick and obese. Protect yourselves if you want to beat this thing, don't demand that the young do it for you.

Keeping kids 80 miles away from "nowhere," having fun, ... but educating ... is the best thing for the state. Even Fauci said this very same thing recently.

As far as I know the light on the clock tower is still red so college kids are doing what college kids do when they’re on their own.

Plenty of anatomy and kinesiology study labs right now.

Sorry Coug parents. That’s just what 18-24 year olds are ready willing and able to do.

Reactions: kougkurt
knock off the partying or they're all going to get sent home. My daughter included..
My impression is there is a lot of compliance in my son’s dorm. There are only 15 students on his floor and three of those are RAs. Are you hearing differently from Northside? The rules for staying on campus were pretty damn strict, as I’m sure you know.

FWIW, he also says that many students off campus are ignoring the county’s mandates. He doesn’t even see one of his closest friends from here in Montana as he doesn’t want the risk associated.

79 and I both have freshman in the dorms. Thought maybe he knew something I didn’t on that front.
Northside is very quiet. The parties are off campus, houses and on Greek row.

Get off my lawn!!!!

Yep, stop being young, stop having fun at Uni, you've got to cloister yourself to protect people who demanded that McD's "super size that" a few too many times. If kids at WSU can't just wave to grand ma, admitting that it isn't safe, they have no F-ing business in higher ed, particularly at WSU, a fantastic place that teaches you to think at a higher level. IF WSU administrator have forgotten their mission, education, F them to.

Covid-19 ain't the Spanish flu that preyed on the young and healthy, it is a disease that preys on the old, sick and obese. Protect yourselves if you want to beat this thing, don't demand that the young do it for you.

Keeping kids 80 miles away from "nowhere," having fun, ... but educating ... is the best thing for the state. Even Fauci said this very same thing recently.
Jesus socal, lighten up with the "get off my lawn" shit. I was commenting on the fact that if the cases down there continue to increase the admin may just send everyone home...no more, no less.
Hell yes they're going to party...it's to be expected.

My impression is there is a lot of compliance in my son’s dorm. There are only 15 students on his floor and three of those are RAs. Are you hearing differently from Northside? The rules for staying on campus were pretty damn strict, as I’m sure you know.

FWIW, he also says that many students off campus are ignoring the county’s mandates. He doesn’t even see one of his closest friends from here in Montana as he doesn’t want the risk associated.
Same with my daughter. As a side note...she was tested for Covid on Thursday and got her result back today...negative. I put an extra 50 in her bank account as a thank you...lol.

Reactions: SDCoug
79 and I both have freshman in the dorms. Thought maybe he knew something I didn’t on that front.
79’s earlier post was correct. Kids in the dorms seem to be complying pretty well, in general. Off campus - including Greeks - not so much.

It’s about to look worse. Two new testing sites are set up in Pullman and a lot more tests were done last week. Positive rate rose to 16% last week, and will likely go higher. I think strong odds are that the county goes past 1,000 cases before next weekend, with an increasingly large percentage connected to WSU.

Hospital capacity is the big issue for Pullman. Basically, they don’t have any. The college kids don’t tend to need hospital support, but the more of them that get sick, the more likely some will get seriously ill...and the more likely it gets into the general community and impacts someone else who is susceptible.

Current guidance advises schools not to send students home due to case spikes, but that’s written based on more urban campuses. It doesn’t really represent a community that can’t effectively provide treatment for large numbers of cases. That really limits options for how to control spread, especially if students won’t comply. Apparently, they’ve already started pooling funds to pay the fines when someone gets cited for hosting a party. Sharing the penalty makes it pretty insignificant, and allows people to just do it again next weekend.

Reactions: random soul
95's post pretty much says what the folks I know who I consider to be "thinking people" knew was going to happen. And it is not just WSU; it is universities nationwide. Many on our board have stated that only those with some underlying health issues were at risk. That is pretty much true at that age group. The issue is that those young people with the underlying issues don't always know until too late. I knew (past tense) one of those folks. The other point that has been obvious all along was that when you have a major spike in the college, the college town will be exposed. Not just the faculty and staff of the university; also the grocery store workers, gas station/mini-mart attendants, and many others. And each of them goes home to someone else. I'm not looking for an argument, because everything I've said to this point is pretty much unarguable. It is the "what other course of action would have been better" conversation that brings up arguments.

95's post pretty much says what the folks I know who I consider to be "thinking people" knew was going to happen. And it is not just WSU; it is universities nationwide. Many on our board have stated that only those with some underlying health issues were at risk. That is pretty much true at that age group. The issue is that those young people with the underlying issues don't always know until too late. I knew (past tense) one of those folks. The other point that has been obvious all along was that when you have a major spike in the college, the college town will be exposed. Not just the faculty and staff of the university; also the grocery store workers, gas station/mini-mart attendants, and many others. And each of them goes home to someone else. I'm not looking for an argument, because everything I've said to this point is pretty much unarguable. It is the "what other course of action would have been better" conversation that brings up arguments.
FWIW... when dropping my son off it seemed as though the off campus students were reckless in their lack of masks while partying. However, I don’t think I saw anyone out in the stores or around Pullman or Moscow that wasn’t masked up (stark contrast to where I live).

Maybe we’re witnessing the evolution of the phrase, “beer goggles.” Even the hint of beer for college age kids will cause them to do things they may later regret.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT