ADVERTISEMENT

This team is pathetic

Nice finish to the game....an 8-0 run. Good to see Powell and Jakimovski assert themselves and shoot with confidence. Houinsou had some nice minutes, too, and should probably be playing more minutes in every game over Darling at this point.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: mikalalas
Yes. Live by the 3 ball. Die by the 3 ball. A helluva way to design an offense.

Good to win though. It beats the alternative.
The way the Cougars shoot inside the arc, I'm not sure I want to see anything but a 3-point shot with this group. (For the record, I prefer a different offense than the one we are seeing). I do credit the defense tonight, I thought it was excellent along with the rebounding.

Glad Cougar

The way the Cougars shoot inside the arc, I'm not sure I want to see anything but a 3-point shot with this group. (For the record, I prefer a different offense than the one we are seeing). I do credit the defense tonight, I thought it was excellent along with the rebounding.

Glad Cougar
I see that our adjusted defense per Ken Pomeroy has moved up to #62 ranked. Not very impressive.

Adjusted offense is still - no surprise- pretty bad at #73 ranked.

Nice finish to the game....an 8-0 run. Good to see Powell and Jakimovski assert themselves and shoot with confidence. Houinsou had some nice minutes, too, and should probably be playing more minutes in every game over Darling at this point.

Glad Cougar

Not only that, but Kymany for about the 4th to 6th to 8th time this season in this game AGAIN DROVE, SLASHED, BEAT DEFENDER OFF DRIBBLE, EXPLODED PAST, TURNED CORNER, PAST DEFENDER, EXPLODED AT RIM, JUMPED OUT OF GYM, DID A 2 HAND ALL STAR DUNK COMPETITION LEVEL, HIGHLIGHT REEL HAMMER DUNK JUST LIKE BAMBA HAS ALSO DONE IN PAST.

BUT OH NO KYMANY, BAMBA CANT DRIVE, FINISH AT RIM, CREATE THEIR OWN SHOT.

BS, THEY CAN, AND DO, AND KYMANY DID THIS GAME AGAIN.

Kymany should be getting more minutes then Darling.

And if Kymany develops a good outside shot, midrange jumper, 3 point shots, and starts forcing defenders to come out and guard him on perimeter, instead of packing it in on a zone, he Kymany is going to start Driving, Scoring at the rim more consistently.

Reactions: Coug90

Glad Cougar
They seemed to steady the ship when darling went out

They’re not pathetic, they’re a middle of the pac-12 conference team.

Those that are calling this team pathetic, wrongly disagree with Ken Pom, who has WSU as a Top 50 to Top 60 program, despite the LOTS OF INJURIES, despite having the #5 TOUGHEST SCHEDULE IN NATION, according to Ken Pom, that they had to play with LOTS OF INJURIES.

They don't see, remember the AWESOME Wins against ARIZONA ON THE ROAD(NEVER EVER HAPPENED BEFORE, first time), USC, ASU, etc.

They don't see, remember the MOST SPECTACULAR, AWESOME, ALL STAR COMPETITION LEVEL, NBA ESQUE ATHLETICISM HIGHTLIGHT REEL plays by BAMBA, GUEYE, KYMANY.

Nope they don't remember any of that, as they ONLY remember the LOSSES, and only remember the bad plays that Bamba, Gueye, Kymany have made, and so wrongly think that Bamba, Kymany don't, can't score at rim, inside, wrongly think they can't create their own shot, when they can, do create their own shot, etc.

And they wrongly point to WSU's defense being #62, by Ken Pom, wrongly saying that's bad, when it's not bad as supposedly the NCAA tourny is for the top 64, 65,68 etc teams.

And they wrongly point to the win/loss record, despite the LEGIT reasons like LOTS OF INJURIES, #5 TOUGHEST schedule, and Ken Pom saying that WSU is 3rd MOST UNLUCKIEST TEAM IN NATION, and Ken Pom saying that WSU ONE OF THE TOP, BEST 11-13 TEAMS IN ENTIRE NATION.

And they wrongly ignore those things that Ken Pom say, and wrongly say that there are no such thing as LEGIT REASONS, and only that all, everything is pathetic excuses, instead of LEGIT REASONS.

And they don't get that all the above proves that WSU is NOT pathetic, and is a middle of PAC 12 team that might semi probably make CBI/NIT, 15,16,17, etc wins, despite all the SHET that happened to WSU.

And thus they BITCH, WHINE, COMPLAIN, call WSU pathetic NON STOP, as the NEGACOUGS they are.

When WSU loses to UCLA by 1 point in overtime on the road, I'm sure they resume their bitching, whining, complaining, and calling WSU pathetic, etc.

Glad Cougar
Kinda same problem with Coug raid air raid offenses through. You can’t run the ball at all you are gonna have defenders clogging passing lanes forcing your QB to have a slim margin of error.

You can’t get the ball inside and score 1:1 in bball your perimeter shooters will have hands in their face all game. Open looks against ASU seemed more about lazy defense and poor rotation for me. Great they knocked them down but you aren’t getting open looks all game like that very often.

Kinda same problem with Coug raid air raid offenses through. You can’t run the ball at all you are gonna have defenders clogging passing lanes forcing your QB to have a slim margin of error.

You can’t get the ball inside and score 1:1 in bball your perimeter shooters will have hands in their face all game. Open looks against ASU seemed more about lazy defense and poor rotation for me. Great they knocked them down but you aren’t getting open looks all game like that very often.
exactly

The reverse is also true. Basketball is both a inside out, outside in semi balanced game.

If you want to score inside via either driving, creating own shots, finishing at rim, or by posting up inside, you have to need to hit outside shots, semi consistently, to force the defenders to come out and guard you on the perimeter, and not pack it in like the Dick Bennet, Tony Bennet Pack it in defense.

WSU is Dr Jeckle, Mr Hyde, super inconsistent, but good, great outside shooters. 50% of the games they are 1-17 from outside, and 50% of the games they are 13-17 from outside. The games they shoot 13-17 from outside, they do a way better job scoring inside, then they do when they are 2-16 from outside.

Same applies for outside shooting.

If you don't score inside, like Coug90 said they will contest every outside shot, causing you to miss from outside.

WSU has been DR Jeckle, Mr Hyde inconsistent scoring inside. So games they do really well scoring inside, some games they do bad scoring inside. And the games they don't score inside as well, are usually the games they struggle from outside because most of their outside shots get contested.

WSU needs to be at least a semi consistent, semi balanced, inside out, and outside in offense, that moves the ball, takes care of ball, doesn't turn over ball, that passes, gets assist, drives, semi aggressively attacks basket, scores inside at rim, creates own shot, AND shoots at least semi good, semi consistently from outside.

WSU only does that about 1/3, 2/5, 1/2 of the time.

WSU needs to do that more often.

Part of the reason why that hasn't happened is:

1. Replacing somewhere between 3/5 to 2/3 of team from last year.

2. The injuries.

3. The team being SLOW to jell, develop chemistry, etc, because of 1,2 above.

4. Some, part of that, but not all, is on coaching a little bit.

Next Season, assuming WSU, Smith don't have to replace as much as last season, and as long as not as many injuries, this either should be less of a problem, or not a problem at all, and WSU should do better then the middling PAC 12 team they are, have been this season.

Last edited:
Let the season play out. We have a tough trip upcoming against the LA schools, but we finish with 6 winnable conference games.

Reactions: Coug90
Hope Bamba is the spark they need to compete on the road. The mountain road trip was brutal.

Let’s also not forget about the rumored return of Dishon Jackson. Having him back, even in a limited capacity, will help to free up Gueye inside.

Let’s also not forget about the rumored return of Dishon Jackson. Having him back, even in a limited capacity, will help to free up Gueye inside.
Smith and bone have not got the pg that can’t close out a game and break down a defense and dish . It is the one position either smith doesn’t think is necessary or just hasn’t found the right one

Smith and bone have not got the pg that can’t close out a game and break down a defense and dish . It is the one position either smith doesn’t think is necessary or just hasn’t found the right one

Koulibaly was supposed to be that, as coaches, players, experts, etc, said that he was a One and Done NBA Prospect. It was confirmed by Koulibaly and others in interviews, and by interviewer, that that true.

But he didn't PAN out, that's not on Smith.

Bonton was thought to be that as a combo PG/SG that could both score, dish assist, etc, but later, altho he could, and did dish out assist, etc, he pretty much was only a scorer, defender.

Flowers was thought to be that, and was semi that as he both scored, and averaged about 3.7 assist per game, with most of those assist coming off dribble drive to basket. Flowers just didn't be the drive, dish PG, that would score 17 ppg, on drives, and dish out 4,5,6,7 Assist per game off that like a Benny Seltzer type. It was thought he Flowers would have been that. Again not Smith's fault that he Flowers didn't become that.

Myles Rice was supposed to be that, but Myles Rice got cancer, which not Smith's fault.

If you look around the conference and the rest of college basketball, you will find fewer teams with that kind of traditional point guard these days. So Smith isn't alone. Like Mik said, Myles Rice is probably the closest to a pure point guard that we've had in several years.....maybe since Reggie Moore....but unfortunately was not able to play this year.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT