ADVERTISEMENT

Too many bowls

Glad Cougar

Hall Of Fame
Apr 2, 2003
Aberdeen SD
Broken record time. 41 bowls is probably about a dozen too many, IMO. There are 17 teams going to bowls this year that don't have a winning record (1 team has only 5 wins). I know the Cougars have benefited in the past from the six win threshold, but I just don't think a team should be playing post season if they can't win more games than they lose. I know I don't have to watch the games...and I probably won't.

Glad Cougar

I honestly forget there's bowl games on during the end of December. Only the big ones are a priority to me.

I honestly forget there's bowl games on during the end of December. Only the big ones are a priority to me.
I’ve been meaning to watch every bowl game one of these years and then I always forget. It’s sort of a bucket list item for me to say I did it. Pretty similar goal to one of my roommates from WSU who took a dump in a bathroom of every building on campus. Pretty impressive…pins on a campus map and everything.

I’ve been meaning to watch every bowl game one of these years and then I always forget. It’s sort of a bucket list item for me to say I did it. Pretty similar goal to one of my roommates from WSU who took a dump in a bathroom of every building on campus. Pretty impressive…pins on a campus map and everything.
There's a Paul Wulff joke here somewhere 😂

Reactions: Coug90 and 79COUG
Same. I probably never well and that is OK. I figure if only two fan bases have a fun time, that is good enough. To tell you the truth, I have often skipped the Championship game, as I am so tired of the SEC.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I don't get the "too many bowls" complaints, although opt-outs and the focus on the CFP have hurt how much I care about bowls generally and have made me care less about arguing in their favor.

Let's say 12 of the bowls were cut. What does that achieve, exactly? Make the remaining bowls seem to matter more in comparison? Fit someone's ideas about what bowls should be, or -- harkening back to the days when WSU probably wouldn't get in a bowl at 7-5 -- make someone feel better about the Sun Bowl being a worthy reward for the teams playing in it? Make someone feel better that a couple of 6-6 teams and their fan bases don't get that 13th game that they can travel to and that the players and fan bases who choose to participate get to enjoy? Why?

If someone wants to only care about a certain level of bowl, or to consider the others as not being worthy of being played, fine. Don't watch or read about them or watch highlights. I'd rather have a low-tier bowl game on in mid-December in the background than whatever else would be on TV on a random Wednesday afternoon.

That’s some serious bowel control Sorry bowl

I like college football, so the number of games doesn't bother me. My issue is that now that the college football playoff is expanding to 12 teams, it's time to just expand the field to 48 teams and do away with the bowl games altogether.

There are a lot of bowl games, and it's mostly about EPSN filling air time. Here is a 60 + year history

1960- 9 bowl games
1970- 11
1980- 15
1990-19
2000-25
2010-35
2019-40 ( didn't use 20, due to covid)
2022-43

ESPN first went on the air in 1979, and is the major reason there are more games. I don't have a problem with more games, it gives you one more chance to see your team play. However if the trend of players not playing in bowl games continues and opting for the transfer portal prior to the bowl game, it will create problems in the future. And due to the NFL prospects, Portal, NIL, and 12 team playoff, adding more bowl games in the future looks unlikely to me. Going to a bowl game used to be a big deal and if you finished in the top 20, you hoped to get invited. Now a majority of the teams playing in bowls, are not even in the top 20. The whole history and tradition of the Rose, Cotton, Orange and Sugar Bowls are gone, not sure that is a good thing. Typically the winner of one of those bowls was declared the National Champ, and yes there was controversy, but that made it interesting. After a 12 team playoff will the controversy end? As long as Saban is around, and his team is not in it, there will always be controversy.

However if the trend of players not playing in bowl games continues and opting for the transfer portal prior to the bowl game, it will create problems in the future.
I don't think it creates problems. What it has created within the coaching ranks is the recognition that the non-NY6 bowls are simply extensions of Spring practices for the upcoming season.

Kids who want to transfer or want to sit out for the NFL draft are encouraged to do so by the coaches.

I don't think it creates problems. What it has created within the coaching ranks is the recognition that the non-NY6 bowls are simply extensions of Spring practices for the upcoming season.

Kids who want to transfer or want to sit out for the NFL draft are encouraged to do so by the coaches.
This is true, the primary reason for the teams is now more practice time to bring along under classmen, but the main reason I do believe the bowl games have peaked, is you have to have a 500 or better record to play in one. With 82-86 teams playing, if you add more bowls, you would have to add teams with losing records. Or they add more "mini tournaments" like college basketball does for teams that don't make it to March madness.

This is true, the primary reason for the teams is now more practice time to bring along under classmen, but the main reason I do believe the bowl games have peaked, is you have to have a 500 or better record to play in one. With 82-86 teams playing, if you add more bowls, you would have to add teams with losing records. Or they add more "mini tournaments" like college basketball does for teams that don't make it to March madness.
As long as there’s dollars to be had there’s no limits. This is a $$ game at the end of the day. If they can find a way to make money off of two 3-9 schools going at it, it will happen.

For me, I'm a fan of having more games....even though I won't watch most of them. I look back at WSU history and we were left out of bowl games in 1977, 1983, 1984, 1989 and 2006 because the rules and availability were different back then. We were within one game of bowl eligibility in 1993, 1996, and 2004 before the 12th game was added. How much better could our teams have been with eight more years with extra practices in that timeframe? Do we win the national championship in 1997? Does 2005 end up being a banner season with 15 more practices for young players in 2004?

On a different note, does Jim Walden stay at WSU? Some would argue that would've been a bad thing. Regardless, WSU has suffered through 100 years of the leaders in our league holding their thumb on the scale in their favor. Anything that counters that is a good thing. We wouldn't be in a bowl game this year under most of the old systems. I'm going to enjoy seeing Sofi stadium and am glad that things have changed.

Well if we start using 3-9 teams is it still a bowl or just a 13th game. I guess we could call it "Stretch Threw Mik out of the Car in Troy Bowl."
I hope this isn't just another poster here trying to spend my money!

I do like the idea though, and what a great name for a bowl, huh? Trying to decide whether to have it in St John or Orofino. I'm thinking that lots of randy young fans would prefer to go to Orofino. lol

I hope this isn't just another poster here trying to spend my money!

I do like the idea though, and what a great name for a bowl, huh? Trying to decide whether to have it in St John or Orofino. I'm thinking that lots of randy young fans would prefer to go to Orofino. lol
We need more uses for the Tron Dome in Ellensburg…there you go

There are a lot of bowl games, and it's mostly about EPSN filling air time. Here is a 60 + year history

1960- 9 bowl games
1970- 11
1980- 15
1990-19
2000-25
2010-35
2019-40 ( didn't use 20, due to covid)
2022-43

ESPN first went on the air in 1979, and is the major reason there are more games. I don't have a problem with more games, it gives you one more chance to see your team play. However if the trend of players not playing in bowl games continues and opting for the transfer portal prior to the bowl game, it will create problems in the future. And due to the NFL prospects, Portal, NIL, and 12 team playoff, adding more bowl games in the future looks unlikely to me. Going to a bowl game used to be a big deal and if you finished in the top 20, you hoped to get invited. Now a majority of the teams playing in bowls, are not even in the top 20. The whole history and tradition of the Rose, Cotton, Orange and Sugar Bowls are gone, not sure that is a good thing. Typically the winner of one of those bowls was declared the National Champ, and yes there was controversy, but that made it interesting. After a 12 team playoff will the controversy end? As long as Saban is around, and his team is not in it, there will always be controversy.
I think the playoff will be fine. It’ll be just like the NCAA basketball tournament. There will always be controversy about who got in and who didn’t, but the winner - even if it’s not the favorite - will be accepted as the champ. Realistically, the champ is typically going to be from the top half…even more likely the top third of the field. In basketball, 23 of the last 36 winners were #1 seeds. 32 of 36 were 1, 2, or 3 seeds. Only 4 teams lower than a 3 seed have ever won it all - and none lower than an 8 (once).

ADVERTISEMENT