ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Scholarships- how does it work?

grahamcoug

All Conference
Nov 26, 2013
Graham
For the 2022 season, we had 5 portal transfers (Lee, Malani, Lampkin, Ferrel, and Henley)
I count 13 scholarship players from WSU entering the portal.

How did the other 8 openings get filled? Does that mean we can sign 8 additional JC or high school players?

For the 2022 season, we had 5 portal transfers (Lee, Malani, Lampkin, Ferrel, and Henley)
I count 13 scholarship players from WSU entering the portal.

How did the other 8 openings get filled? Does that mean we can sign 8 additional JC or high school players?

I believe the NCAA is allowing teams to sign as many as they have spots available for. It is supposed to be for 2 years.

So in theory you could cut all 85 and sign a new 85.

I noticed from twitter many of these WSU portal players are still desperately shopping themselves. They will get nothing or settle for a division ll

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I noticed from twitter many of these WSU portal players are still desperately shopping themselves. They will get nothing or settle for a division ll
The portal may be a useful teaching aid for some of these kids. It’ll teach them that it’s easier to find a job when you already have one. Under most circumstances, it’s not advisable to quit until you already have something lined up.

Sadly, I think a lot of kids may end up leaving football and their education altogether.

You need film. Wtf are you selling if you don’t have any recent film?
Spring practice film?? With the percentage of portal players not getting picked up by other teams...you might assume they're quitting football.

Spring practice film?? With the percentage of portal players not getting picked up by other teams...you might assume they're quitting football.

I have a buddy of mine whose son entered the portal and has exactly that on his twitter account. Spring practice film. He should have stayed put, imo. But he won’t listen to his dad and his mom thinks he should be at Alabama. When I said he should lose 60lbs of fat and run a better 40 time, cause 330lbs HS kids can’t move with that weight, he didn’t wanna listen. Well there he is….

Seriously, if you are a coach and you’re looking at the portal kids…. apparently there are thousands of them…. where do you even start? Think they’re desperate now? Wait until the week before camp. How much you wanna bet coaches emails and dms are packed with kids trying to find a spot?

I have a buddy of mine whose son entered the portal and has exactly that on his twitter account. Spring practice film. He should have stayed put, imo. But he won’t listen to his dad and his mom thinks he should be at Alabama. When I said he should lose 60lbs of fat and run a better 40 time, cause 330lbs HS kids can’t move with that weight, he didn’t wanna listen. Well there he is….

Seriously, if you are a coach and you’re looking at the portal kids…. apparently there are thousands of them…. where do you even start? Think they’re desperate now? Wait until the week before camp. How much you wanna bet coaches emails and dms are packed with kids trying to find a spot?
Buy him a gift certificate to Subway.

Reality is that there are so many portal kids, a majority probably won’t land somewhere else. There are too many of them in too short a time frame, coaches will only be able to look at those who are either already starter quality or who fill a pressing need (or those they lured into the portal in the first place).

I’d guess 1/3 of the total portal entries are contacted directly by another P5 program. Another handful might be able to shop themselves around and find a spot. Probably half will find themselves stepping down to FCS, or without a chair entirely.

It seems like that the spots were not fully filled coming in last year. 5 came in, 13 went out. I don't remember us taking 8 extra JC or HS players. Am I wrong? I am sure the athletic department knows what is going on. Just trying to figure it out.

Reality is that there are so many portal kids, a majority probably won’t land somewhere else. There are too many of them in too short a time frame, coaches will only be able to look at those who are either already starter quality or who fill a pressing need (or those they lured into the portal in the first place).

I’d guess 1/3 of the total portal entries are contacted directly by another P5 program. Another handful might be able to shop themselves around and find a spot. Probably half will find themselves stepping down to FCS, or without a chair entirely.

FCS, if memory serves, only has 60 scholarships. D2 can have a max of 36, which they can break up. Some d2 offer much less than the max.

There is not enough $ out there for everyone in the portal and in juco/high school to get a ride. This is the most competitive it has been for a football scholarship in a long time.

It could be much higher than half not getting a scholarship.

The portal may be a useful teaching aid for some of these kids. It’ll teach them that it’s easier to find a job when you already have one. Under most circumstances, it’s not advisable to quit until you already have something lined up.
With the exception of Ollie, none of the kids looking for a ride were in the mix for PT here. And Ollie was likely seeing his reps decrease next year.

Fact is plenty of kids just aren't FBS talents. Like Justin Lohrenz. I don't think they left because they thought they weren't getting respect here. They were given an evaluation by our coaches and moved on to see if they could find another spot elsewhere.

What we don't know is how many kids self-selected because they were given feedback by their position coach on where they stand RE: future playing time.

This then "cleans" the roster a bit and allows for transfers to come in.

Thats called tampering...

With the exception of Ollie, none of the kids looking for a ride were in the mix for PT here. And Ollie was likely seeing his reps decrease next year.

Fact is plenty of kids just aren't FBS talents. Like Justin Lohrenz. I don't think they left because they thought they weren't getting respect here. They were given an evaluation by our coaches and moved on to see if they could find another spot elsewhere.
That's the dim silver lining of the portal - those kids who just don't measure up can go play elsewhere without penalty.

It's dim because in the majority of cases, the move is going to be down a level, and they've always been able to transfer FBS to FCS without penalty.

That's the dim silver lining of the portal - those kids who just don't measure up can go play elsewhere without penalty.

It's dim because in the majority of cases, the move is going to be down a level, and they've always been able to transfer FBS to FCS without penalty.
Gavin Barthiel was able to transfer to Utah St without penalty. Same for guys like James McNorton transferring to SJSU. They might have played a little here, but McNorton started at SJSU for most of last year while Barthiel will be a bigger part of the rotation at a lower level. Win-win for the kids.

Whats crazy is watching someone like Ahmir Crowder who went from a rotational piece at a power 5 in 2021 to Tartleton St.

Gavin Barthiel was able to transfer to Utah St without penalty. Same for guys like James McNorton transferring to SJSU. They might have played a little here, but McNorton started at SJSU for most of last year while Barthiel will be a bigger part of the rotation at a lower level. Win-win for the kids.

Whats crazy is watching someone like Ahmir Crowder who went from a rotational piece at a power 5 in 2021 to Tartleton St.
Maybe it’s they get no offers and they have to settle kind like Ollie who is out there promoting himself. Sooner or later it’s either hang it up or settle. I see Moon Ashby hit the portal.

Maybe it’s they get no offers and they have to settle kind like Ollie who is out there promoting himself. Sooner or later it’s either hang it up or settle. I see Moon Ashby hit the portal.

So much for developing Moon.

ADVERTISEMENT