ADVERTISEMENT

Transferring debate, redu

Interesting tidbit from Pick Six Reviews.

Daaaang. 5/8 of them.

I'd be interested to see how many of them went to schools that had a roster of 4 and 5 star talent already there.

Im all for challenging yourself and competing. Im also in favor of actually getting on the field. I have no problems with a kids that wants to move on to a place where they can get on the field sooner. I don't think the kids should take any more heat or have any more restrictions than coaches that do likewise for money or opportunity.

Reactions: wazzubruce
I'd be interested to see how many of them went to schools that had a roster of 4 and 5 star talent already there.

Im all for challenging yourself and competing. Im also in favor of actually getting on the field. I have no problems with a kids that wants to move on to a place where they can get on the field sooner. I don't think the kids should take any more heat or have any more restrictions than coaches that do likewise for money or opportunity.
I think I'd probably agree with everything you say. But I'll also say, if coaches moving equates to students moving, I'll bet there will be changes to the coaching restrictions.

But back to this specific point. I agree, it would be interesting to see how many 4 or 5 star QB's were/are on the roster that they were competing against and ultimately didn't see themselves hitting the field any time soon. But doesn't that go to their choices? They NEEDED to go to Clemson, they NEEDED to go to Alabama, etc. etc. Now, depending on their own personal restrictions (wanting to live close to home or something else like that), they could be stuck in a lower tier conference. Would it have been better for them to go to a smaller school or a school that isn't that status school, from the get-go?

I'd also be interested in knowing, 4 years down the road, how many of these students saw any significant play time where ever they transferred to. Because ultimately, they will be competing with players that may or may not be younger BUT they've all been in the program longer and are more familiar. The players that haven't transferred have the upper hand.

I think I'd probably agree with everything you say. But I'll also say, if coaches moving equates to students moving, I'll bet there will be changes to the coaching restrictions.

But back to this specific point. I agree, it would be interesting to see how many 4 or 5 star QB's were/are on the roster that they were competing against and ultimately didn't see themselves hitting the field any time soon. But doesn't that go to their choices? They NEEDED to go to Clemson, they NEEDED to go to Alabama, etc. etc. Now, depending on their own personal restrictions (wanting to live close to home or something else like that), they could be stuck in a lower tier conference. Would it have been better for them to go to a smaller school or a school that isn't that status school, from the get-go?

I'd also be interested in knowing, 4 years down the road, how many of these students saw any significant play time where ever they transferred to. Because ultimately, they will be competing with players that may or may not be younger BUT they've all been in the program longer and are more familiar. The players that haven't transferred have the upper hand.

Max Browne is a good example to look at. He originally chose USC over uw, Oklahoma and Alabama. Should have gone to the mutts in hindsight I guess - chances are his story would have been similar at the other two schools.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...pat-narduzzi-sam-darnold/stories/201803210198

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And if you spent your life being told that you were the best and deserved (were actually entitled) to all the glory, it is no surprise that your mindset would not be attuned to the real world.

Reactions: dgibbons
None of these kids show up thinking they're not going to play right away. They are very confident in their ability. Which is fine.

There is no value in not playing. Rarely do you see a guy that hardly plays in college make it to the NFL. The smart money is on getting playing time, game film, some stats under your belt.

A lot of kids would be better served if they chose good coaches, good schemes, good opportunity and good schools over what was cool or trendy or already full.

Which will ultimately be better for your career, 4 years of game film or 1 or 2?

Imagine if Browne chose any of the other 11 schools in the PAC 12??? I'd wager he'd have played at least 2 years, maybe all 4. Instead what did he get?

Also, as a player you have to ask yourself... is this better for my career or the career of the coach??? Loading your roster with talent is great. Kids sitting the bench when they could be playing for another BCS school?? I dunno man. I'd rather play than clap.

You have to ask yourself, who is being rewarded with burying kids on their roster that could start at another conference school???

Reactions: dgibbons
Also, as a player you have to ask yourself... is this better for my career or the career of the coach??? Loading your roster with talent is great. Kids sitting the bench when they could be playing for another BCS school?? I dunno man. I'd rather play than clap.

You have to ask yourself, who is being rewarded with burying kids on their roster that could start at another conference school???
You are swimming up stream. You sound like someone who actually has experiences in life.

It sort of depends on the situation and the person and what their goals are.

For example, if I am a player and what is important to me is going to get a specific degree or educational experience, I may not care.

If I am someone who really wants to play in the NFL well then I will go to the best option to play and succeed.

That's my views at least.

If I want to be a doctor as a career and I am a 5 star guy I may go to UCLA or Duke, Cal, Stanford or whoever has the best pre-med program. If I start great. If not who cares I got a free pre-med at the best place in the country for it.

If I want to go to the NFL I would go to the best school that has a history of getting people drafted that plays a Pro-Style that I think I can get the starting job.

It really depends on the person and what they want.

The competition, especially at schools like BAMA is just a wee bit more fierce than high school. It's hard to turn down an offer from BAMA, tOSU, USC, etc. in favor of let's say WSU. But considering the long trial of transfers out of those programs you would think some guys would have learned by now that they really need to consider the depth chart in their decision making process.

One could say the same thing about WSU. I think if it was me i would be hesitant to commit to the cougs in looking at the current depth chart.There are plenty of good mid major programs or other good P5 universities which they may consider. One can say not to be afraid. of completion but the cougs have some 4 QB s on the roster which may give them pause. The Qb position has only one position unlike the other positions. I agree with Biggs that i rather play than clap.

Transfers are just part of the deal now. Kids act like mercenaries in high school, transferring to whatever school they think serves them best. Its an epidemic in basketball and is only getting worse.

The thing is, I don't think these kids are served by transferring around. The Tyler Bruggman plan, which involves playing at 5 schools in 5 years, doesn't help anyone. Players never master a system, don't form lifelong friendships, and don't have instant booster connections for help finding a job when all is said and done. Sticking it out in most cases works out better.

There is a huge difference in what kids here in recruiting and the realities of being a D-1 athlete. Being recruited is fun. Coaches send you handwritten letters and cool edits. People hit you up on social media and say they want you. Different world as a player. Coaches send you feedback on what you need to improve. They give reality checks. You have to do your own edits. People on social media focus on the next class of recruits at best, or rip you for whatever mistakes you made in the last game. So instead of grinding and trying to accomplish things, they try to become recruits again.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
etown, I think you pretty much hit it on the head. And Ed, you are also right...experiences in life are what inform a kid. You hope he has someone around him with some judgement, but unfortunately that is often not the case. His "Bruggman Plan" 5 for 5 ends up being the basis for hopefully acquiring some judgement...but by then it is usually too late from a football standpoint. Maybe some good things learned for the rest of his life, though. Although 5 schools in 5 years may mean no degree will be earned without another year to tie it all together.

etown, I think you pretty much hit it on the head. And Ed, you are also right...experiences in life are what inform a kid. You hope he has someone around him with some judgement, but unfortunately that is often not the case. His "Bruggman Plan" 5 for 5 ends up being the basis for hopefully acquiring some judgement...but by then it is usually too late from a football standpoint. Maybe some good things learned for the rest of his life, though. Although 5 schools in 5 years may mean no degree will be earned without another year to tie it all together.
Five in five---is the kid a worker? Will he fight through adversity? I see it all the time. I remember as far back as 1988 and Peter Rowe transferred because Timm R was a junior. He transferred to Wyoming. Truth be told if he was patient for three more months he would have been battling it out with Gossen and GArcia, holding a spot for Drew to get there.

He never did play for Wyoming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT