ADVERTISEMENT

Transparency

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Guess with this MBB staff we are going to have to get used to the lack of transparency. Small price to pay for the good recruiting and play that they are putting forward. Its easy enough to track some offers and things but they don't spend anytime on getting pertinent info out. Examples are the new Recruiting Coordinator and the departure of Coach Plank who looks to have gone of USF Don's.

They haven't clarified the roster at all. There are players who have clearly left or are not coming. Even the annoucements of signings are very strange.

The schedule is always a shot in the dark and this year even more so as there don't appear to be any lingering home-and-home's left over like we had last year. Also the whole MTE thing is unknown.

But like most others as long as they win not sure I need to know everything :)

Isn't Efe going to play for Nigeria this summer? Thought I had seen that somewhere or other.

To put it mildly! It seems like they look at fans as mushrooms. However, I give them a break on the schedule. The pre-season schedule comes out mid-September. The Pac-12 schedule in November. They're at the mercy of the Pac-12 for that portion of the schedule. Not sure about the MTE thing because I don't know what MTE means?

We are much better at the recruiting thing than we have been in a long time plus we also seem to be a lot more active. Since we are over the limit I have had the feeling someone was leaving many wouldn't have thought. Typically the thinking is Rapp or Vova' but I haven't thought either would leave on their own. I think Jakimovski deciding to return to Europe makes some sense given there hasn't been a portal entry. Still seems Flowers hasn't signed or at least no official announcement. Then there's Rice who Andrzejek spoke about but I never saw an official announcement? I keep thinking we will know sooner than later but who knows?

MTE stands for Multi-Team Event.

While it doesn't bother me personally that the MBB program has gone dark in the offseason, its not a great tactic for a program looking to be more competitive. You want to keep fans and future recruits engaged, and you have a whole Sports Information Department at you disposal. There are so many ways now of keeping your program visible, and most don't cost anything. Really successful programs don't hide from publicity, they use it as another tool. I always thought that when CML was so curt with reporters it was just (another) sign of how unsophisticated he really was. Not to lump MBB in with CML....

We are much better at the recruiting thing than we have been in a long time plus we also seem to be a lot more active. Since we are over the limit I have had the feeling someone was leaving many wouldn't have thought. Typically the thinking is Rapp or Vova' but I haven't thought either would leave on their own. I think Jakimovski deciding to return to Europe makes some sense given there hasn't been a portal entry. Still seems Flowers hasn't signed or at least no official announcement. Then there's Rice who Andrzejek spoke about but I never saw an official announcement? I keep thinking we will know sooner than later but who knows?

MTE stands for Multi-Team Event.
Well, there was a Happy Birthday tweet from WSUmensbasketball on 19 May for Rapp. Seems weird perhaps to do that if he were on the way out. Maybe not though?

As one of the old guys on this board, I can remember how excited I was as a teenager during the late 60s and early 70s while Harshman was coach....and getting the WSU Basketball Media Guide in the mail. That was my only source for information on who WSU recruited, who might have transferred in or out of the program, what the ultimate roster looked like. No internet, no beat reporters covering the sport in the offseason, I just had to wait until the fall to ultimately know what the team looked like. I prefer knowing what's going on immediately– especially with the proliferation of information sources these days– but I can also remain patient because of my memories of 50 years ago.

Glad Cougar

As one of the old guys on this board, I can remember how excited I was as a teenager during the late 60s and early 70s while Harshman was coach....and getting the WSU Basketball Media Guide in the mail. That was my only source for information on who WSU recruited, who might have transferred in or out of the program, what the ultimate roster looked like. No internet, no beat reporters covering the sport in the offseason, I just had to wait until the fall to ultimately know what the team looked like. I prefer knowing what's going on immediately– especially with the proliferation of information sources these days– but I can also remain patient because of my memories of 50 years ago.
That would be a thrill to get a media guide in the mail from Coach Harshman! Its hard to remember how little media coverage there was back in the day. The most legit source was a tiny box score the size of a postage stamp in the newspaper the next day, if you missed it on the radio. I do miss the days where it was absolutely expected that each player would be in the program for 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT