ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter ban coming soon to MSU!

I always thought for a coach that Saban's stance on expressing political views made a lot of sense:

"I don’t really make political comments. So, if I say I like one person that means everybody who voted for the other person doesn’t like me. So, why would I do that?”

Saban also has been blasted at least by some for not using his position for whatever their personal position is on one thing or another. I can appreciate Leach in that sense. He really doesn't seem to care one way or the other whether you agree or disagree with him.

I guess my point in the end is you can't seem to win whether you express your feelings or keep them private and in the larger picture that basically blows.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Certainly won’t miss this about him. Glad I unfollowed him. Starkville gonna fit him like a glove!

Reactions: sellas
Leach takes on Romney. Good stuff!

Bullet. Dodged.

Thanks Mike! Best of luck!
Wouldn't of looked if you hadn't pointed it out. Reported by USA Today..the very same paper someone that was put on display yesterday. How's that for irony?

I suspect Leach will be more vocal in support of Trump from here on out. His relationship with the President isn't the liability in the south that it is on the west coast. Trump carried Mississippi with 57% of the vote in 2016 and he'll probably increase that margin in 2020.

I suspect Leach will be more vocal in support of Trump from here on out. His relationship with the President isn't the liability in the south that it is on the west coast. Trump carried Mississippi with 57% of the vote in 2016 and he'll probably increase that margin in 2020.
Since Trump took office, his net approval in Mississippi has decreased by 20 percentage points

A lil too much moonshine for the honky tonk juco coach.

Simply aaaamaaazing. Unf'uckingbelieveable!

What's the over under on how long he lasts? 3 years? 4 years?

You can't do that stupid crap.

I always thought for a coach that Saban's stance on expressing political views made a lot of sense:

"I don’t really make political comments. So, if I say I like one person that means everybody who voted for the other person doesn’t like me. So, why would I do that?”

Saban also has been blasted at least by some for not using his position for whatever their personal position is on one thing or another. I can appreciate Leach in that sense. He really doesn't seem to care one way or the other whether you agree or disagree with him.

I guess my point in the end is you can't seem to win whether you express your feelings or keep them private and in the larger picture that basically blows.

Do you think that plays well in the living rooms of his recruits?

You would be an expert on stupid crap. I’m sure Buddy Ryan would have punched Leach right in the neck for leaving the defense all jammed up last season, by scoring 39 points per game.

You would be an expert on stupid crap. I’m sure Buddy Ryan would have punched Leach right in the neck for leaving the defense all jammed up last season, by scoring 39 points per game.

No but he would probably do it when his offense turned it over 5 times against UCLA.

No but he would probably do it when his offense turned it over 5 times against UCLA.

It’s said that you don’t know what you’re talking about, yet again. We know that you don’t lie on purpose, it’s just that you’re so freaking dumb you don’t know what’s going on around you and are completely incapable of retaining information.

And Leach would probably choke out Buddy for giving up two one play TD drives in that game. Because scoring 63 points despite turning over the ball six times was quite amazing.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

Yeah I’m not sure about that. Leach has a reputation of a guy who expects to go into a job and be himself without opposition so if you are gonna hire him you’ve gotta give him that rope. I’m not sure it’s the best idea for recruiting purposes for him to be airing out his political views considering the athletes he’s recruiting, but he spoke at a rally once so I suppose that ship has sailed anyways.

It’s said that you don’t know what you’re talking about, yet again. We know that you don’t lie on purpose, it’s just that you’re so freaking dumb you don’t know what’s going on around you and are completely incapable of retaining information.

And Leach would probably choke out Buddy for giving up two one play TD drives in that game. Because scoring 63 points despite turning over the ball six times was quite amazing.

Said? Did the grammar prince just make a grammatical mistake?

Do you think that plays well in the living rooms of his recruits?
I would think most would be more concerned with how they are going to treat them as a player, getting an education, blah blah blah rather than a coaches political stance. In the end wouldn't how it played in living rooms depend on the recruit?

I would think most would be more concerned with how they are going to treat them as a player, getting an education, blah blah blah rather than a coaches political stance. In the end wouldn't how it played in living rooms depend on the recruit?

Maybe. But you don't think opposing coaching staffs will use that?

In most parts of the country, yes.

Down south, it's not a social sin to be a Trump supporter because odds are someone in their community they respect vocally supports Trump. It's not like in Seattle where you can live your life without ever meeting someone who supports Trump.

Dabos an example of this in a different way. No way would his heavy emphasis on Christianity as the foundation of his program ever fly on the west coast.

For a coach like Leach it never seemed to have much impact because he’s Leach. For fans sure. It will have even less impact in the south as others have posted.

As I said I originally I like Saban’s approach but to each his/her own.

I'm just really glad that a political stance won't come between the new staff and recruits in Hawaii, Washington and California. I really like how they emphasize a family feel and retention of recruits.

Nick Saban won’t. He doesn’t use the internet. In fact, I don’t imagine many coaches in the SEC will go after Leach for being conservative.

Nick Saban won’t. He doesn’t use the internet. In fact, I don’t imagine many coaches in the SEC will go after Leach for being conservative.
Leach won't be competing with Alabama for recruits. Only in Texas and North Carolina would his pro-Trump tweets be an issue. And that's because their Trump approval rating is 50%.

Who gives a crap? Leach did a good job in Pullman but he is history. I personally did not care for the man but that does not register anywhere. Now that he is gone i could care less about his teams.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Leach won't be competing with Alabama for recruits. Only in Texas and North Carolina would his pro-Trump tweets be an issue. And that's because their Trump approval rating is 50%.

I think it has more to do with the voting and beliefs of that family than the state overall. I dunno that the demographic of the families he would be recruiting and the overall state would be the same.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I think it has more to do with the voting and beliefs of that family than the state overall. I dunno that the demographic of the families he would be recruiting and the overall state would be the same.
What I was inferring is that it could be an issue for the 50% of the families who disapprove of the POTUS in those states. That's only an issue of course because he's making it an issue on twitter. The fact that he did take it down indicates (as you said) that it wasn't wise to begin with:)

Ah, biggs, biggs, just give you enough rope.

Who was it who said “it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and prove you are a fool?” Words of wisdom, my friend.

So, what do you want to bet that Leach will still be coaching at MSU in fours years?

I prefer Saban’s approach myself, but it’s worth noting that Leach’s tweet drew fewer comments on the MSU football forum then here, and nobody was as upset as biggs. Go figure...

What I was inferring is that it could be an issue for the 50% of the families who disapprove of the POTUS in those states. That's only an issue of course because he's making it an issue on twitter. The fact that he did take it down indicates (as you said) that it wasn't wise to begin with:)

If polling is correct, half the country like Trump. That would mean statistically speaking he has one out of two chance of being on the wrong side of a polarizing president. But he is in the south where Trump's approval is higher, so then you could argue out of 10 living rooms he could have political agreement in seven of them.

Then....you have the polling of African American's.That polling is much different. Again, I am not arguing the accuracy of various polls, but 8-10 African American's are said to disapprove of Trump. So the question is why would you even go down that slippery slope when it is not necessary, especially tweeting at 3 AM.

And it seems a bit odd he would go after Romney simply because he voted his conscience. If that is how Leach feels I don't get why he removed his tweets.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I d bet that someone told him to take it down. His attitude after posting it is different that the kids glove approach taken by WSU

Ah, biggs, biggs, just give you enough rope.

Who was it who said “it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and prove you are a fool?” Words of wisdom, my friend.

So, what do you want to bet that Leach will still be coaching at MSU in fours years?

I prefer Saban’s approach myself, but it’s worth noting that Leach’s tweet drew fewer comments on the MSU football forum then here, and nobody was as upset as biggs. Go figure...

And what do you think that means?

If polling is correct, half the country like Trump. That would mean statistically speaking he has one out of two chance of being on the wrong side of a polarizing president. But he is in the south where Trump's approval is higher, so then you could argue out of 10 living rooms he could have political agreement in seven of them.

Then....you have the polling of African American's.That polling is much different. Again, I am not arguing the accuracy of various polls, but 8-10 African American's are said to disapprove of Trump. So the question is why would you even go down that slippery slope when it is not necessary, especially tweeting at 3 AM.

And it seems a bit odd he would go after Romney simply because he voted his conscience. If that is how Leach feels I don't get why he removed his tweets.

It's an Overton window thing. While folks in the south might not like Trump, supporting him isn't shocking or offensive. Being MSU and no Bama is going to hurt him more on the trail than supporting Trump.

Comments about not being very religious or that he's Mormon (which I know is contradictory) are more likely to hurt him on the recruiting trail.

Football players are probably used to being coached by people who lean more to the "conservative" side of the political spectrum. Regardless, I would assume being given the chance to compete is a much bigger priority than a tweet at 1am about what coach thinks about politics. All Leach preaches is competition and if that wasn't proven out on the field then his political leanings could cause him a problem. I doubt his political views register too much when it comes down to it but that's still in the minds of the parents and players in those living rooms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT