ADVERTISEMENT

Two bad decisions...needed to use a time out...

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Both OSU and WSU got worn down by playmakers. Several plays come to mind in the Oregon game....

Critical 4th down. Must have been 4th and 6. They split their back out wide and WSU had Thorton on him. And instead of getting another player who could better cover the back, Thorton's coverage while not horrible (Oregon kid did catch it in traffic) it was a matchup problem Dickert and Ward should have called a time out over.

Then the handoff to Watkins for a three yard loss. They probably should have looked at empty and let ward use his legs up the middle if available. We pulled both guard and tackle if I recall correctly and gave the DT a free lane to the back for a three yard loss.

As well as they played last three minutes of Wisconsin they were on the other end of it against Oregon.

I will say the Pac 12 is tough this year. I sure wish we had CU on the schedule.

And a last thought...our three playmakers on defense Stone, Jackson and Henly were neutralized by Oregon's oline. I would love for WSU to have a line like that someday. And Speaking of olines, I continue to be impressed by Coug Jim Milhalchik and the job he does at OSU. They always have a good running attack.

Both OSU and WSU got worn down by playmakers. Several plays come to mind in the Oregon game....

Critical 4th down. Must have been 4th and 6. They split their back out wide and WSU had Thorton on him. And instead of getting another player who could better cover the back, Thorton's coverage while not horrible (Oregon kid did catch it in traffic) it was a matchup problem Dickert and Ward should have called a time out over.

Then the handoff to Watkins for a three yard loss. They probably should have looked at empty and let ward use his legs up the middle if available. We pulled both guard and tackle if I recall correctly and gave the DT a free lane to the back for a three yard loss.

As well as they played last three minutes of Wisconsin they were on the other end of it against Oregon.

I will say the Pac 12 is tough this year. I sure wish we had CU on the schedule.

And a last thought...our three playmakers on defense Stone, Jackson and Henly were neutralized by Oregon's oline. I would love for WSU to have a line like that someday. And Speaking of olines, I continue to be impressed by Coug Jim Milhalchik and the job he does at OSU. They always have a good running attack.
Re: your 3rd paragraph...anyone else out there wonder if Ward suffered a concussion or near concussion on that targeting call. Not only did he take the shot under the chin, but the back of his head hit the turf. During the break to review the penalty, he went down to one knee. Then he took a shot to the head on the roughing the passer play.

To me his body language and performance took a huge dip after all that. So, having him run there...I dunno. Problem on that play is there was absolutely no resistance being put forth by our Oline as Watson got pounded immediately after getting the ball. That's all I have to say about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT