ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA USC to Big-10

Wilner tweeted this a bit ago. If it does happen, then how the other dominoes fall within the conference is anyone's guess. I do wonder if SC/UCLA are gone no matter what or if they go back to the old revenue sharing model they stay?

Pac 12 revenue and support simply isn't there and without the LA school the Pac 10 isn't all that different from the Moutain West. What do schools like Oregon, UW, Stanford/Cal end up doing? Can public school within each state leave schools behind? Obviously happened with us in the PCC days but it's a much different environment now.

College sports is a mess as far as I'm concerned. Emmert got the job, sat down in his cushy leather chair and did nothing. Now it's turned into the wild west. I'm afraid all the other schools are going to bolt leaving OSU and WSU in the dust.

Wow!! I agree college athletics is simply a mess and they are completely dismantling long standing fan bases. It all started imo when they went away from the conference champions playing in certain bowl games. Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl and of course the granddaddy of them all the Rose Bowl used to mean something.

If it’s going to happen should we move to replace them quickly? My first thoughts off the top of my head would be Nevada, BYU and SDSU.

SDSU does not meet current tier 1 requirements. The other two as would UNLV. There are a lot of places to go since geography makes no difference any longer. I wish they had expanded some time ago.

Maybe the Pac-12(10) and ACC need to absorb the Big-12 and end up with 4 super conferences. Maybe the SEC and Big-10, because of their power, start dictating policy that other conferences cannot compete with monetarily. Then the Pac, ACC and big new tier between them and the mountain west types. Who knows.

I'm convinced he wasn't only blindsided he was bamboozled. If not why would he have made the competition deal with the Big 10. I'm convinced Lincoln Riley knew about it when he accepted the USC job. This has been in the works for a while. Kliavkoff hasn't made any kind of statement as far as I know. He's probably so dumbfounded he doesn't know what to say.

True, but had he stayed at Oklahoma he would be coaching in the SEC.

Glad Cougar
To me it was the Pac 12 that didn't connect given the conference weakness and they were headed to the SEC. His program was ultimately going to have a seat at the table either way but pick your poison.

tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State?

or

Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, TAMU?

I'm assuming right now SC ends up in the "West" division with Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota although maybe they shuffle sides.

Last edited:
To me it was the Pac 12 that didn't connect given the conference weakness and they were headed to the SEC. His program was ultimately going to have a seat at the table either way but pick your poison.

tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State?

or

Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, TAMU?

I'm assuming right now SC ends up in the "West" division with Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota although maybe they shuffle sides.
Could be Norman V LA played into also.

Looks like it is beginning to shake out. Given this article the remaining teams have no options but to stay put for now. Pac needs to figure out how to expand to 16. My preference would be to raid or merge with Big-12 in some way, if possible.

The dub is in a lot better position than we are but I'm LMAO if the B1G does say thanks but no thanks. The muttman guys said done deal, we are in, good luck Wazzu. However, from what I have been reading it's just a matter of time. If B1G gets ND to join then UW, Oregon, Stanford will receive invites. If no ND, Oregon/UW. I'm interested in what Stanford decides through all of this. Different reasons but similar to ND, I'm not really sure they need a conference. They have a national reach due to their academics and they are always in the running for a Sears Cup. They aren't a great draw, but their athletic programs are extremely competitive. I doubt they would have a difficult time scheduling any of their programs.

The state is the sticking point for UW (and likely Oregon). In the end I don't think the state would want to put WSU in so much jeopardy just for UW to get a piece of the pie. Athletics (especially football) is a big piece of things now but in the end, these are academic institutions. Canzano tweeted.

Reactions: mikalalas
How the F do the nitwits in the OR/WA legislatures think they're going to stop UW or UO from bolting?

Christ, we are so overdue for a civil war.

It's CALLED WASHINGTON AND OREGON TAX PAYERS THAT USE TAXES ON OREGON AND OSU AND UW AND WSU, CAN TAKE TAXES AWAY FROM OREGON, UW, IF THEY DONT STAY PUT. THIS THREAT OF REVOKING, TAKING AWAY DOLLARS AWAY FROM UW/OREGON, PREVENTS OREGON, UW, FROM LEAVING PAC 12, BECAUSE OREGON/UW, CAN NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT, AN OR WILL HAVE TO CLOSE, SHUT DOWN, STOP BEING A COLLEGE, ETC, WITHOUT TAX MONEY FROM OREGON/WA.

It's CALLED WASHINGTON AND OREGON TAX PAYERS THAT USE TAXES ON OREGON AND OSU AND UW AND WSU, CAN TAKE TAXES AWAY FROM OREGON, UW, IF THEY DONT STAY PUT. THIS THREAT OF REVOKING, TAKING AWAY DOLLARS AWAY FROM UW/OREGON, PREVENTS OREGON, UW, FROM LEAVING PAC 12, BECAUSE OREGON/UW, CAN NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT, AN OR WILL HAVE TO CLOSE, SHUT DOWN, STOP BEING A COLLEGE, ETC, WITHOUT TAX MONEY FROM OREGON/WA.

Because the state govt's absolutely holds the Tax money UW/OREGON PURSE, THEY CAN LEGALLY BOSS AROUND TELL UW/OREGON WHAT TO DO AND OREGON/UW, HAVE TO OBEY, OR ELSE THEY LOSE TAX MONEY, GET CLOSED DOWN ETC, STATE COLLEGES, PUBLIC COLLEGES, ARE NOT/NOT LIKE PRIVATE COLLEGES, THAT CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. STATE AND PUBLIC COLLEGES HAVE TO DO WHATEVER THE STATE TELLS THEM TO DO.

THIS IS WHY WSU HAD TO FIRE ROLO, BECAUSE INSLEE AND THE STATE OF WA TOLD THEM TO.

All Caps added to highlight, underline, draw attention to so that IDIOT can understand.

If you behave like a IDIOT, you might get treated like a IDIOT.

Ultimately there seems to be three options.

1. Everyman for himself approach. In this case every team goes/ does what’s best for them. UW and Oregon to the Big 10. Arizona schools, Cal, Stanford, Utah and Colorado probably join With Big 12. Leaving OSU and WSU to join the Mountain West.

2. The remaining PAC 12 schools band together and look for expansion adding SDSU, Boise or others to make a solid football conference. This option will always have the threat of the big boys pilfering teams as they want.

3. Loose UO And UW and probably a few others to big conferences and slip into mid major/ second tier conference.

No matter what it appears the glory of the PAC 8/10/12 has left the building. WSU simply doesn’t have the media market, fan base or tradition of power to do much on its own. Imo the best bet for WSU would be option 2, but even then we would have to trust another team wouldn’t bail every year. Especially new teams without PAC traditions.

Ultimately there seems to be three options.

1. Everyman for himself approach. In this case every team goes/ does what’s best for them. UW and Oregon to the Big 10. Arizona schools, Cal, Stanford, Utah and Colorado probably join With Big 12. Leaving OSU and WSU to join the Mountain West.

2. The remaining PAC 12 schools band together and look for expansion adding SDSU, Boise or others to make a solid football conference. This option will always have the threat of the big boys pilfering teams as they want.

3. Loose UO And UW and probably a few others to big conferences and slip into mid major/ second tier conference.

No matter what it appears the glory of the PAC 8/10/12 has left the building. WSU simply doesn’t have the media market, fan base or tradition of power to do much on its own. Imo the best bet for WSU would be option 2, but even then we would have to trust another team wouldn’t bail every year. Especially new teams without PAC traditions.

In 1 of the football thread post it was said, linked, etc, that UW, Oregon, rest of Pac 12 is staying put in Pac 12, and that the Big 10 said no to UW, Oregon, and state law makers are threatening lawsuits, tax dollar revoking, stopping Oregon, UW, from leaving Pac 12, and Pac 12 commish, and University Chancellor's, etc, have said they are staying put in Pac 12, and that the Pac 12(10) is going to super aggressively pursue expansion.

Not sure the state law makers would want to regulate their two main schools to after thoughts. Also why would they care about maintaining the PAC vs doing what’s best for their schools? One could make the argument keeping UW and Oregon in line would help the other schools WSU and OSU but would it out way the benefit of keeping the others prominent? plus it will as it always does, boil down to money. Maybe WSU could get a share of UW money. Of course if the Big 1O really doesn’t want them that would solve the problem for now. Sooner or later they will come calling and not sure there is a choice if they do.

Not sure the state law makers would want to regulate their two main schools to after thoughts. Also why would they care about maintaining the PAC vs doing what’s best for their schools? One could make the argument keeping UW and Oregon in line would help the other schools WSU and OSU but would it out way the benefit of keeping the others prominent? plus it will as it always does, boil down to money. Maybe WSU could get a share of UW money. Of course if the Big 1O really doesn’t want them that would solve the problem for now. Sooner or later they will come calling and not sure there is a choice if they do.

The state has invested, and will continue to invest in not only UW, but the APPLE CUP, and the state has, and will continue to make big time money return on their investment off of the APPLE CUP, that's another reason for the state to keep UW in Pac 12, and because if UW goes to BIG 10, BIG 12, WSU, will be left behind. The state will not permit UW to leave WSU behind. The state will say either UW/WSU both go together to BIG 10, BIG 12, or they both stay together in Pac 12, etc

UCLA and USC deal is reportedly worth 100 million each not sure the state of California was asked but I haven’t heard of anybody upset with it. That’s way more than apple cup could ever hope to produce. Plus there are quite a few in state rivalries where the teams play every year but are not in the same conference. Ultimately whatever happens I don’t see this being a good thing for WSU.

UCLA and USC deal is reportedly worth 100 million each not sure the state of California was asked but I haven’t heard of anybody upset with it. That’s way more than apple cup could ever hope to produce. Plus there are quite a few in state rivalries where the teams play every year but are not in the same conference. Ultimately whatever happens I don’t see this being a good thing for WSU.

Its definitely not good for WSU. Even a Pac 18 of Oregon, Ok St, Stanford, Baylor, UW, Utah, Cal, Kansas, Arizona, BSU, KSU, ASU, Texas Tech, UNLV, WSU, SDSU, Air force, OSU, would not be as good.

I saw somewhere (can't remember where) that UCLA had reservations about breaking with the UC system, UC Berkeley specifically. In the end I guess the money won out over any loyalties. Surprise Surprise Surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT